B-Dubs

That's some catch, that catch-22
General Manager
Oct 25, 2017
Indeed. People love to bring up that one modder that shit on Starfield and swore off modding for it as if Starfield's CC will be DOA. Mod creators / emulators / OSS people are great, but can also be incredibly fickle.

I think Starfield will be a very open slate for mods and there's gonna be huge opportunity to be "that mod" that transforms the game and makes waves. Like someone's already done a pretty massive mod without any special tools.
It just seems like it will be super easy to add new planets and stuff. When modding really gets going it'll be something to see.

Please update the faces, looks 2 gen ago!

Did they fix the grey-sh HDR?
That's a filter, you could easily turn it down or even off in the settings.

BossAttack

Oct 27, 2017
It just seems like it will be super easy to add new planets and stuff. When modding really gets going it'll be something to see.

Nah, I doubt anything particularly interesting will come about besides some overambitious mod projects that won't get released until 2035 and have a bunch of gross sexualization shoved in for no reason.

You need only look at previous mods for games like Skyrim or Fallout 4. How many mods were released that were purely just settlement based that added anything interesting? For Skyrim, there is like that one mod that lets you be Jarl of your own little castle place, and that's like it. Everything else are mods of whole new areas that took like a decade to release and still aren't finished.

Generally, I view mods as able to refine existing concepts and systems (cosmetics or refining gameplay). When you are expecting mods to add wholly new questing content, I know that likely won't be happening, and if it does, it won't be for a long while and of dubious quality. 730+ mods installed later and Fallout 4 is still a terrible Fallout. No mod can fix that.

RedSwirl

Oct 25, 2017
Y'know what could have been another neat option for space travel? The way Mass Effect 2 and 3 handled it where you control a little icon representing your ship in the orrery view, which basically has the same effect as flying an airship in an old-school JRPG. Maybe icons representing random encounters or POIs could appear in that view.

Eamon

Prophet of Truth
Apr 22, 2020
Figure this may be the best place for this question, abset me finding the OT. I am thinking of getting a Pre-built with the following specs:

AMD Ryzen™ 7 7700 Processor
NVIDIA® GeForce RTX™ 4070 SUPER™
16 GB DDR5-5200MHz (UDIMM) - (2 x 8 GB)
and a 1TB SSD

I've been looking to transition over to PC gaming, and accounting for me selling my PS5, I can get this for around $950 out of my pocket.

Would I be able to run Starfield on high settings on my TV with this setup? Am also thinking of getting into modding and some light game dev, fyi

Mr Evil 37

Mar 7, 2022
Y'know what could have been another neat option for space travel? The way Mass Effect 2 and 3 handled it where you control a little icon representing your ship in the orrery view, which basically has the same effect as flying an airship in an old-school JRPG. Maybe icons representing random encounters or POIs could appear in that view.
I love ME2 and 3 but I personally hated flying the tiny ship around. It looks really goofy to me. I'd rather just pick a planet on a map and be there, like ME1, TOW and Starfield.

vixolus

Prophet of Truth
Sep 22, 2020
Figure this may be the best place for this question, abset me finding the OT. I am thinking of getting a Pre-built with the following specs:

and a 1TB SSD

I've been looking to transition over to PC gaming, and accounting for me selling my PS5, I can get this for around $950 out of my pocket.

Would I be able to run Starfield on high settings on my TV with this setup? Am also thinking of getting into modding and some light game dev, fyi
easily

RedSwirl

Oct 25, 2017
Why couldn't you just use time dilation (ie a 10x 20x 100x button)?
Because rotations and orbits would also speed up. Frontier: Elite II did exactly this in 1993, as it also had a pro gen galaxy at 1:1 scale, and it's one of the things that gave flying in that game an extremely steep learning curve. Maybe it might work if the whole process is on-rails and players don't actually have to keep track of their destination's orbit while flying to it.

I'm not holding my breath, but I hope Bethesda does something to make space travel in this game actually feel like travel because, to be honest, it's the one gameplay aspect that most sets Starfield apart from Fallout 4. The main difference from ME1 and TOW is that Starfield lets you almost completely ignore your ship, but if you do that the game really just turns into Fallout 4 with better combat and a less interesting setting. The other difference from those other two games is that they never tried to sell the fantasy of flying a ship.

Aug 31, 2019
Because rotations and orbits would also speed up. Frontier: Elite II did exactly this in 1993, as it also had a pro gen galaxy at 1:1 scale, and it's one of the things that gave flying in that game an extremely steep learning curve. Maybe it might work if the whole process is on-rails and players don't actually have to keep track of their destination's orbit while flying to it.
Heh, that's the exact game I was thinking about when I suggested it. I don't recall the flying being hard tbh, I preferred it. Once you realise that there is a difference between where you're facing and where you're going it's pretty intuitive (to me). Edit: also Elite had an autopilot module IIRC, and it worked it all out for you, landing included. I also really loved that it showed your velocity as a speed relative to the largest gravitation body near you. Also also, obviously, that it did actual planetary landing, so no loading screens for the entire solar system.

Honestly my dream game is the guts of Elite 2/3's systems with a graphically modern narrative RPG strapped on top.

Astandahl

Oct 28, 2017
In a few years, it could become a very interesting title to play.

Hopefully the mod community will be able to fix exploration in some ways.

OP
OP
Theorry

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
Really can't wait for 60 fps
For a 30 fps game it was one of the better ones
But still combat at 30 is just no ideal. It was playable but I felt hampered by it sometimes.

RedSwirl

Oct 25, 2017
Heh, that's the exact game I was thinking about when I suggested it. I don't recall the flying being hard tbh, I preferred it. Once you realise that there is a difference between where you're facing and where you're going it's pretty intuitive (to me). I also really loved that it showed your velocity as a speed relative to the largest gravitation body near you. Also also, obviously, that it did actual planetary landing, so no loading screens for the entire solar system.
I never really got the hang of it, but interestingly, Outer Wilds uses a simpler, more approachable version of the same fundamental system where you have to account for inertia when flying. It makes me believe that, if other developers tried, they could implement another "casual" step between arcade-style flight and full Newtonian.
Honestly my dream game is the guts of Elite 2/3's systems with a graphically modern narrative RPG strapped on top.
I think this is the ultimate dream but nobody has really figured it out yet. One of the main problems is balancing the use of proc gen to create a real sense of scale with pacing that directs players toward hand-crafted content. The tutorial for on-foot gameplay in Elite: Dangerous makes me believe that Frontier actually could make a solo campaign if they tried and if they ever added landable atmospheric planets to the game.

Filipus

Prophet of Regret
Avenger
Dec 7, 2017
Glad to hear mod tools are in modders hands FINALLY. I've been waiting for that, I really believe this game will improve ten fold with a few select mods.

Ill probably wait for the expansion and then dive in (with mods). Only a few more months!

Bodhi

Oct 5, 2022

and a 1TB SSD

Lmao, please don't make Starfield the #1 reason to get a PC upgrade.

LilScooby77

Dec 11, 2019
That or because the xbox literally didnt have a way for developers to access that information on the system level. Only MSFS had something in place with a workaround heuristic rather than official gdk implementation.

Rich on DF Direct said so. Which is why now we see 40 fps on fallout and avatar and soon starfield.
Oooooo interesting.

Emzee

Sep 9, 2020
Some people have expressed interest here, it appears you can now give books to Kora! It looks like it's currently an undocumented feature according to reddit.

isopeltheblue

Feb 16, 2024
I know that level design and implementation is time consuming and expensive but I would have been back playing the game immediately if they'd announced "10 more POIs" or "tweaked the POI distribution and weighting."
I just want POIs with random interior layouts (the ones with loading screens) or at the very least randomization in terms of who/what/how many enemies you're encounter at them. It was pretty disappointing to find a POI I had been to on a different planet and realize it had the same enemies, the same number of enemies, the same loot container locations, the same robot to activate...

I knew Starfield wasn't going to have the same sort of exploration as other modern Bethesda games, but I was really hoping they would lean into the randomized dungeon-crawling of Daggerfall where you wouldn't know what to expect with each location.

Gray Fox

Jul 6, 2018
I'm hearing the 60 fps mode is primarily for VRR screens and that playing in that mode without it will result in screen tearing. Anyone else hear this?

elenarie

Game Developer
Verified
Jun 10, 2018
Hopefully the patch fixes docking and boarding. I cannot use the regular entry. Clicking the door just plays the animation but does not teleport me. Have to sit down on the pilot chair and then board that way as a workaround.

Wild Card

Oct 26, 2017
Glad I waited, the moon buggy sounds like a huge quality of life improvement, although tbh I still have no idea when I'm going to get around to this game

Eamon

Prophet of Truth
Apr 22, 2020
Lmao, please don't make Starfield the #1 reason to get a PC upgrade.
cover1.jpg

RedSwirl

Oct 25, 2017
Just hopped back into Elite for a minute which made me realize that yeah, they theoretically could let you do seamless flight between moons or in complete orbit around a planet without breaking light speed, and heading from one moon to another might take a few minutes. Maybe a couple of minutes at 20 or 30% light speed.

happy2501

Jan 12, 2024

and a 1TB SSD

I have close to zero understanding on PCs but isnt this like… one of the best u could get as of today?

Blue Ninja

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Belgium
It's the same BGS fixed camera that's been their trademark for years. While other games have migrated to a more player controlled camera during conversations, like Cyberpunk, their conversation camera has remained the same over the years.
Yep
This remark seems kinda unfair, considering the only games where they used that camera before came out from 2006 to 2008, lmao.

EDIT: Apparently this was an older post already, apologies, didn't pay attention to dates.

Eamon

Prophet of Truth
Apr 22, 2020
I have close to zero understanding on PCs but isnt this like… one of the best u could get as of today?
That's wild to me - it was on sale on the Lenovo website. Didn't seem like it would be that good, compared to the other builds I was seeing.

Would recommend any one looking at PC laptops or desktops check out Lenovo. They got some good deals right now!

SilentEagle

Jan 9, 2021

and a 1TB SSD

Yes, very solid PC. But I recommend going for 32GB RAM for future proof.

Shaz12567

Jun 7, 2021
User banned (1 day): Platform wars
I am curious to see how 60 FPS will function in New Atlantis on the PS5. That area absolutely hammers the cpu. Its quite literally the only area apart from TLOU Part 1 Remake which pushes my 7800X3D to its limits. And this is a 7800X3D vis a vis Ryzen 5 3600 on the PS5.