• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

spam musubi

Oct 25, 2017
Their last major release was Dark Souls 3 last year, with its final piece of DLC dropping earlier this year. Previously, they released 3 Soulsborne games on back to back years. We haven't really heard anything from them for a while now. The last update we had was that they're working on 3 games. Supposedly an Armored Core title, one in a "dark fantasy universe" that should be familiar to those with "straightforward expectations", and a "weird" game new IP. We haven't really heard much since.

I'm not interested in wild speculation in this thread, just specific information. Do we know how many teams they have, what are the latest things each team worked on, and which team is likely to be working on what project? Do we have any more info on any of these 3 projects? Do they have any teams working on mobile projects or support of other Kadokawa teams? Last info on their roster has them at about 262 people as of last year. They were also listed as a Switch developer but we haven't heard anything on that front yet, and that was after their 3 projects spiel. Again, no need for wishful thinking on Bloodborne 2 or Demon's Souls 4K or Dark Souls Trilogy for Switch(I'd love any of those, but that's not productive discussion).

TheGreatLugia

Oct 25, 2017
Miyazaki has said Bloodborne and Dark Souls III were created by separate teams, so I'm assuming the Bloodborne team has been working on a new project since The Old Hunters wrapped up in November 2015.

JoJo'sDentCo

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 25, 2017
I choose to believe they are working of the following:

Metroid Prime 4
Dating simulation made by Miyazaki
Armored Core

Last edited:

Digital

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
They'll be silent till 2018 and then release 3 full games back to back to back in a 2 year span. That's how they roll.

OP
OP
spam musubi

spam musubi

Oct 25, 2017
Miyazaki has said Bloodborne and Dark Souls III were created by separate teams, so I'm assuming the Bloodborne team has been working on a new project since The Old Hunters wrapped up in November 2015.

Wasn't TOH done by a separate team though? Or a partially different team?

They working on vr stuff too iirc

I didn't get the impression that the VR game is a separate game, but it will probably be a regular game that supports VR a la RE7 or Ace Combat.

Oct 25, 2017
They just put something out this year.
They seem to be working on Switch stuff as well so it's probably not too long till we see something.
They might take longer if they're done with dark souls and are looking for something new

OP
OP
spam musubi

spam musubi

Oct 25, 2017
They just put something out this year.
They seem to be working on Switch stuff as well so it's probably not too long till we see something.
They might take longer if they're done with dark souls and are looking for something new

They have multiple teams who work in parallel and they've done multiple releases a year for a few years now, and their only release this year was a DLC that was (I think) originally intended to release earlier. So it's surprising that not only we haven't seen anything else from them, we haven't even had any announcements of future releases.

Nintex

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
They were part of the list of developers that Nintendo showed working on Switch.
So there's at least that.

Molemitts

Oct 25, 2017
They haven't been gone for long. Personally I hope they're working on something new and original and the stuff they've said so far seems to indicate that's the case.

Butch

Oct 27, 2017
I really want to see if the Nintendo stuff is just Dark Souls 3 port or something new.

galvenize

Oct 25, 2017
Dating simulation made by Miyazaki

Prepare to date

dark_souls__prepare_to_date_edition_by_cubesona-da7bklh.png

TheGreatLugia

Oct 25, 2017
Wasn't TOH done by a separate team though? Or a partially different team?
I can't find direct information on the team layout for The Old Hunters at the moment from any interviews, but I think it's safe to assume that the people who worked on it were from the Bloodborne team. An important question might be if the entire Bloodborne team worked on The Old Hunters, or if one section of the Bloodborne team worked on The Old Hunters while another section of the team started working on a future project.

Res

Oct 25, 2017
Second one is most likely a dark rpg similar to souls. I'm curious as to what the setting will be

FromAshesRise

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Someone needs to create a ResetEra branded "Not every company is Ubisoft/EA/Activision and none of them should be" canned response to "why hasn't x developer put out a new game every 5 minutes?" thread.

Dark Souls III came out last year, they had DLC this year. They're a small studio. Miyazaki said 3 games are in the works. I don't get what the concern is.

OP
OP
spam musubi

spam musubi

Oct 25, 2017
A while back there was that weird rumor about an Aztec souls game, but that was just bunk, right?

Someone needs to create a ResetEra branded "Not every company is Ubisoft/EA/Activision and none of them should be" canned response to "why hasn't x developer put out a new game every 5 minutes?" thread.

Look at their release cycle for the past 5 years or so. They haven't had a year as empty as 2017 in a long time, and haven't gone this long without any new titles in the horizon. Nice try though.

Vigamox

Nov 13, 2017
I don't think we'll be hearing from them until at least E3 2018 at the earliest. The more time they take the better in my opinion, as I'd like Miyazaki to take his time and really flesh out their next game. I don't want them to have to rush the game like the latter half of Dark Souls 1, or the supposed restart halfway into development of Dark Souls 2.

Skel1ingt0n

Oct 28, 2017
I can't find direct information on the team layout for The Old Hunters at the moment from any interviews, but I think it's safe to assume that the people who worked on it were from the Bloodborne team. An important question might be if the entire Bloodborne team worked on The Old Hunters, or if one section of the Bloodborne team worked on The Old Hunters while another section of the team started working on a future project.

Bloodborne itself is a masterpiece. But The Old Hunters elevates the entire game to a level very, very few developers could hope to reach. The Old Hunters, as a chunk of world and gameplay, is some of the best ~10-15 hours of content in any game this generation, bar none, IMO. Would love to know what that team specifically is currently working on.

I'm going to ignorantly assume Metroid Prime 4 ;p

signal

Oct 28, 2017
Of all the great things they could be working on, it's sad to see people actually wishing for remasters of old games above anything else.

"This brick wall looks better than the original release! This is much better than a new game!!!"

answer to OP: Frame Gride 2

Deleted member 10726

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
ResetERA
Second one is most likely a dark rpg similar to souls. I'm curious as to what the setting will be

I hope it's something that is to Bloodborne what Dark Souls was to Demon's Souls. A Darkborne of the sorts, with similiar elements in the setting but also key differences to seperate the universes. I would love to see them expanding on the ideas they had in Bloodborne and adding new things to the formula.

DrROBschiz

Oct 25, 2017
You would think they could tease at least 1/3 of the projects

We hungry!!! They are smart to stay silent and hidden. Just makes it all the more hype when the bobs drop and of course not having to wait years for a release would also be nice

Omeganex9999

Oct 25, 2017
London
Anyone saying anything that isn't "Working on Bloodborne 2" is lying and should not be allowed to speak ever. But I would accept a "a new soulsborne game that will have a different name and as a consequence we will call the genre soulsbornesomethingelse from the moment it comes out" as an answer as well.

I wouldn't mind them making a game for the Switch, but the chance of a new IP being a Sony exclusive is high.

squall23

Oct 25, 2017

Ra

Rap Genius
Oct 27, 2017
Dark Space
Working on a Sci-Fi Souls take, is my dream.

The Surge (shout out to Deck13) proved it can work.