• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 19003

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
At least the system worked to protect the daughter from an abusive situation with a drug addicted mother. You can argue that society or the system fails for people like this woman who most probably suffer from mental health issues on top of drug addiction when she just keeps re-offending regardless of the options given to her. But framing the victims of her theft or their door cams as the source of her problems is rather ridiculous and just comes across as a very try-hard take by this author. And if the author intended to make a different point, then it didn't come across well at all.

Last edited:

Aztechnology

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
from the article:

"But Fairley regularly skipped her hearings—she'd lose track of the dates, she later told me, and just had "a lot going on"—which slowed the process of resolving the cases. Again and again, in her absence, the judge would issue bench warrants, and Fairley would eventually be arrested and booked into jail, from which the judge would release her to await her next hearing, with demands that she report to diversion programs or Narcotics Anonymous meetings—all while neighbors continued to report on Nextdoor that they were watching her steal mail."

The judge was even releasing her so she didn't have to sit in jail with the mild stipulation that she go to rehabilitation program meetings....and she kept stealing packages instead.

At some point the individual has to accept responsibility for their own actions
I guess it's supposed to illustrate how it's failing everyone in this case. But it's just hard to feel much sympathy for her when it's basically like she's batting away the rope that keeps getting thrown to save her from drowning. Like someone else said, I guess this is more of a story of addiction and how difficult it is to help someone with mental health issues.

There just seems to be a lack of clear focus, or least focus of actual importance. Because the cameras in this case really don't seem to be an issue. So it's a wierd focus to say that surveillance culture is bad, because she just needed to steal a few packages for various things, so maybe it's keeping someone in a bad place that only stole a little. But that just feels like such a wierd argument to make.

Last edited:

Polioliolio

Nov 6, 2017
I know liberals love to defend others, but stop defending thieves. She's a crook. It's not unusual that a crook lives in poverty. Poverty breeds criminals.
The best way to help these people is to vote democrat. We don't need to spin it any other way.

Kin5290

Oct 26, 2017
There are several options Amazon already provides: Locker (at 7 Elevens, etc.), car trunk package deposit (for newer ve), front door package deposit (via home security systems).

I thought we were all about criminal justice reform, minimizing surveillance, and not harshly punishing petty criminals. Guess it's different when it's the toys we order online that are at stake? I mean, in this case, the porch pirate lost her daughter and her home, but wound up going back to stealing almost immediately. Who's better off now?
Criminal justice reform doesn't mean ignoring crimes committed by the poor, or punishing criminals period.
Nextdoor is shit. I feel bad for this woman on account of her homelessness, addiction, and pretty clear kleptomania, but obviously stealing packages is also wrong. If we had a rehabilitative justice system then perhaps she'd be doing better.
In this case, at least, we had a rehabilitative justice system. This thief was given chance after chance and let off the hook by the criminal justice system only to spit on her opportunities for rehabilitation and continue committing crimes.

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever™
Sep 24, 2019
I know this is a weird perspective, but when my packages have been stolen in the past, I haven't really cared that much. Anything that I need immediately (or is a unique item with no duplicate) and to be 100% free of theft risk I will have delivered to my employer's office. If it's just stuff off of Amazon ... sure, it's a huge pain in the ass when my stuff gets stolen, but I'm a few clicks away from a replacement being sent 24 hours later at no additional cost. Package thieves suck, and I have so sympathy for them, but I also think it's one of those things that people get super bent out of shape about. If it's important, ship it to a secure location. If it's not, it's got a chance of being stolen. It's a shitty reality, but I know the rules and I play within them. I also don't leave my car windows down in the Summer. City life.

FeliciaFelix

Oct 27, 2017
I'm in Nextdoor. I've seen spicy comments in threads about crime news, but the criminals come on all shapes and colors.

99% of the time it's the most boring shit imaginable. People selling stuff or asking about events, like "did everyone's light went out" or missing pets.

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
They've been doing this for two years now.

More importantly, the system doesn't do anything to disuade you from doing such things, you just end up shifted around, and usually deposited right back where you were, with less stuff.

Putting people in jail for petty theft is not helpful. It destabilizes people and perpetuates harm. Do you really expect someone with a history of addiction, homelessness and possibly trauma to think about this the same way you do? In the article, she is quoted as saying she lives day by day - future threats of jail are not a deterrent for these situations.

moonie

Oct 25, 2019
Putting people in jail for petty theft is not helpful. It destabilizes people and perpetuates harm. Do you really expect someone with a history of addiction, homelessness and possibly trauma to think about this the same way you do? In the article, she is quoted as saying she lives day by day - future threats of jail are not a deterrent for these situations.

Community service and fines are appropriate then. We have a lot of freeways with litter and trash that's not gonna pick itself up. People want to commit petty crime, make them clean up our streets.