• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Hektor

Community Resettler
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Deutschland
It can't be that bad can it... Oh, oh no. Best game of the year at 36, Mass Effect Andromeda actually on the list..

d56.gif

I'm usually the last one to get upset at listicles on the internet, but i really can't wrap my head around the idea that a group of people consider such an uninspired, iterative and at launch outright broken sequel to be a much better game than NieR: Automata, XCOM2:WotC, Persona 5, NIOH, Pyre or Yakuza 0.

Heck, even Horizon Zero Dawn, a game that is just as iterative but at least actually polished and creative in its art design scored lower.

fspm

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Started playing Killer is Dead. I like how bizarre it is but man, this game is trash. So much tapping X, shaking your stick ... I don't enjoy playing this so far at all.
The 4th boss has qte where you are forced to mash like a madman. I spent around 2 hours and went beyond 6-7 clicks per second I shit you not and still that wasn't enough. Then downloaded autohotkey, assigned 50 clicks p/s to a button and that was it. The game was at default 30 fps btw. QTEs are trash. As for KiD it's no killer7 but still worth one playthrough.

Tizoc

Oct 25, 2017
Oman
The 4th boss has qte where you are forced to mash like a madman. I spent around 2 hours and went beyond 6-7 clicks per second I shit you not and still that wasn't enough. Then downloaded autohotkey, assigned 50 clicks p/s to a button and that was it. The game was at default 30 fps btw. QTEs are trash. As for KiD it's no killer7 but still worth one playthrough.
U did apply the qte fix as well right?

Deleted member 15476

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Andromeda wasn't a personal disappointment given BW's recent output and I actually kinda enjoyed my time with it, especially in comparison with DA:I which I still despise and have it unfinished at 45 hours. I think a lot of people vastly overrate the first Mass Effect in terms of actual game design and gameplay, they gave too much attention to the feedback about how people loved that game, Mako exploration, etc.

Igniz12

Oct 25, 2017
Started playing Killer is Dead. I like how bizarre it is but man, this game is trash. So much tapping X, shaking your stick ... I don't enjoy playing this so far at all.
What a coinqidink, I started it today too! Got to the insect boss and had to quit cause I had to step away. First impression arn't good but I'll keep playing more later.

Hektor

Community Resettler
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Deutschland
Andromeda arrived as a fine but far from fantastic Mass Effect game. It was unpolished, in need of another few patches to iron out its most GIF-worthy bugs, and it required another writing pass to really draw out its soul. It didn't get that, and while it would likely never have reached the heights of the series' past - a Mass Effect 2, a game of the generation - it could still have really been something

. Instead we got a vague retread of Mass Effect 1's plot with uneven writing, lots of boring legwork, some questionable Big Choices and a king's ransom in bugs.

Andromeda isn't a bad game, as the internet circa launch had you believe. It's just not very good,

The game's biggest problem was how boring it all was. The characters weren't particularly interesting, the planets were uninspired and the quests were instantly forgettable.

There's flashes of Mass Effect magic buried within Andromeda's banality. You just have to work really, really hard to find it.

One of these days, we're going to have to talk about what the city of Montreal and the development culture there - created by Ubisoft and turned into a factory/strip-mine kind of operation by every other big publisher - is doing to gaming. Because it's not good.

@_@

Oct 28, 2017

Any word on Tales from Candlekeep: Tomb of Annihilation? One of my old D&D buddies suggested we both buy it and start playing together. Looks like a Diablo clone w/ D&D lore. Just curious if anyone here has played this.

Aren't the Torchlight games multiplayer? Part of me thinks we might be better off w/ a safer bet like that.

Dragon1893

Oct 25, 2017
If you read Eurogamer's list, they downright admit that a lot of placements don't make sense and the write-ups end up being apologetic justifications like "not enough staff members played this one" or "it's kinda good if you look really hard".
It's weird, but like any list, not worth getting upset about, which a lot of people still do for some reason.

Oct 25, 2017

Any word on Tales from Candlekeep: Tomb of Annihilation? One of my old D&D buddies suggested we both buy it and start playing together. Looks like a Diablo clone w/ D&D lore. Just curious if anyone here has played this.

Aren't the Torchlight games multiplayer? Part of me thinks we might be better off w/ a safer bet like that.

Actually, it looks more like a straight translation of the tabletop game. That is, turn-based gameplay.

MadGear

Oct 25, 2017
What a coinqidink, I started it today too! Got to the insect boss and had to quit cause I had to step away. First impression arn't good but I'll keep playing more later.

I'm not giving up on the game yet either but I'll probably drop the difficulty to normal to just rush through it and see how much more bonkers this game can get.

Hektor

Community Resettler
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Deutschland
It seems to be more that it's fine, average or good but not great combat combined with bad writing. They're all reserved takes but I didn't see where anyone outright dunked on it.

The one saying that all of it is boring and that you have to work really hard to find flahses of greatness imply that to me.
At least those aren't things i'd say about a game i'd consider fine.

Anno

Oct 25, 2017
Columbus, Ohio
The one saying that all of it is boring and that you have to work really hard to find flahses of greatness imply that to me.
At least those aren't things i'd say about a game i'd consider fine.

I think his part started with saying it wasn't a bad game, just not very good. So I took that to mean fine, and I understand that some people (who I very much disagree with) might like a fine Mass Effect game more than a lot of other games.

zkylon

Oct 25, 2017
It seems to be more that it's fine, average or good but not great combat combined with bad writing. They're all reserved takes but I didn't see where anyone outright dunked on it.
yeah

ppl if you like nier just be happy you like nier

you don't need eurogamer to tell you nier is good

also ppl that didn't play mass effect andromeda and just watched funny gifs in the internet, you don't need to get mad because someone else actually likes it (and it's fucking #26th in that list, not #1!)

can ppl just, be cool you know?

MadGear

Oct 25, 2017
I was gonna wait for the Arcade Edition, but it seems like the stuff that Arcade Edition adds on top of the Deluxe Edition is free anyway, so I pulled the trigger.

I believe you are only missing out on some premium costumes you get for pre-ordering the AE but if you spent some time with the games "singleplayer content" before the AE patch drops you are still rewarded the bonus fight money for completing them. IMO this is actually a good trade-off. It will be a bit of a grind tho, especially playing survival mode (just stick to easy and normal).

Zeeman

Oct 25, 2017
That Eurogamer list is probably why most sites only publish a top 10, you can get to pretty weird shit when you're combining people's lists and one person really liked a middling game. All the more so in a year with such a variety of games that no one could play them all

Tizoc

Oct 25, 2017
Oman
BTW this just launched and has a 40% discount. It is up on Humblebundle.com as well but no discount atm
header.jpg

http://store.steampowered.com/app/672460/Genetic_Disaster/

I believe you are only missing out on some premium costumes you get for pre-ordering the AE but if you spent some time with the games "singleplayer content" before the AE patch drops you are still rewarded the bonus fight money for completing them. IMO this is actually a good trade-off. It will be a bit of a grind tho, especially playing survival mode (just stick to easy and normal).
This guide helps in getting as much FM as possible for the time being. One has a little under 3 weeks to get them done if they're interested
http://www./forum/showthread.php?t=1408614

Oct 27, 2017

I picked up the game recently, and so far I've been enjoy it. But, as Baron von Loathsome mentioned above, the game is a turned-based title, and an entertaining conversion of the tabletop experience, not really a Diablo clone.

As for Torchlight, only Torchlight II has multiplayer, the first game is single-player only.
If you are looking for games similar to Diablo to play with your friend, take a look at Titan Quest, Grim Dawn, or Victor Vran (although do note, for the later, I would recommend a controller, since I personally found the game to work better with one).

Hektor

Community Resettler
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Deutschland
yeah

ppl if you like nier just be happy you like nier

you don't need eurogamer to tell you nier is good

also ppl that didn't play mass effect andromeda and just watched funny gifs in the internet, you don't need to get mad because someone else actually likes it (and it's fucking #26th in that list, not #1!)

can ppl just, be cool you know?

If the staff actually said "We think Adromeda is a better game than Nier or XCOM2 or Persona 5, or Yakuza 0 or [...]" than that is something i could actually understand.
The entire point of confusion is that their text blurbs imply the opposite.

You say don't get mad about people with different opinion but the things is, that they don't actually have a different opinion.

Last edited:

Phinor

Oct 27, 2017
If the staff actually said "We think Adromeda is a better game than Nier or XCOM2 or Persona 5, or Yakuza 0 or [...]" than that is something i could actually understand.

You say don't get mad about people with different opinion but the things is, that they don't actually have a different opinion.

How about few of them liked Nier a lot while others didn't care about it/didn't play it, most of them played Mass Effect Andromeda and multiple people thought it was tolerable enough so that on average it simply ranks above Nier. It's a common problem/feature of lists with many voices. Up to a point mediocre crap can rank high if enough people thought it was, well, mediocre. I don't really see anything controversial here unless they specifically explain somewhere how they chose the games and it conflicts with what's actually on the list.

(Now if Zelda is anywhere in the top 10, then we can talk about how bad the list is considering how average that game is!)

zkylon

Oct 25, 2017
zkylon- Would you play Yakuza 0 if you had the time?
nope, i've already watched all the story so there's really no point in spending much time in it i feel

i'd be happy to play a bit cos that breakdance majima stuff looks fun but that's about it

That Eurogamer list is probably why most sites only publish a top 10, you can get to pretty weird shit when you're combining people's lists and one person really liked a middling game. All the more so in a year with such a variety of games that no one could play them all
yeah, you're just invited this kind of pointless outrage

they don't say nier is better than whatever they had at #40 or whatever, and actually they complain a lot about nier too in their little writeup

the little writeups just talk about the one game, comparing mass effect to yakuza or an xcom dlc or nier is just silly, how do you even do that? this is like most other goty lists, averaged and consensed upon, it's not a linear scale and past top 10 (or whatever, depending on the year), ranking is symbolic at best, it's just a listing of important games

Oct 25, 2017
btw, can someone explain doki doki to me. like what was so amazing about it. i'm not saying it's bad, just want to know why it blew so many ppl's minds or whatever

I spoilered my summary write up:

a pretty decent visual novel setup (probably being played by folks who don't play many VN's like me) followed by a number of strange, dark twists that are morbidly hilarious followed by some pretty clever metagame conceits. All the while making some not so subtle criticism of anime and VN in general.

Did it blow my mind? No. Had I been told to play it without knowing much else about it, the surprises may have hit harder. As it was, I liked it, but expected some hard right turns. They delivered.

AHA-Lambda

Oct 25, 2017
Ah I hadn't realised this was opened again, praise be! :D

Just finished up playing Wolfenstein 2, overall I quite enjoyed it but who the flying hell thought it was a good idea to
give you half health for the first half of the game
?

zkylon

Oct 25, 2017
I spoilered my summary write up:

a pretty decent visual novel setup (probably being played by folks who don't play many VN's like me) followed by a number of strange, dark twists that are morbidly hilarious followed by some pretty clever metagame conceits. All the while making some not so subtle criticism of anime and VN in general.

Did it blow my mind? No. Had I been told to play it without knowing much else about it, the surprises may have hit harder. As it was, I liked it, but expected some hard right turns. They delivered.
i feel doki doki is a weird game in that i'm very appreciative of them being sensitive enough to put trigger warnings but also knowing that shit is gonna get gruesome kind of spoils the turn quite a bit

but yeah i can see what you see in it, it's not for me, but all of that was definitely in the game i played

Oct 25, 2017

Honestly, I don't trust fight money.

Rellik

Oct 28, 2017
I forgot to unsubscribe this week from Humble Monthly (I only want the games from the Quantum Break, Long Dark... etc. month) so if my next billing date from Humble Monthly says 26th January 2018... Am I screwed? :3 And I'll lose the 10% discount on Humble the momento I unsubscribe or I'll keep it until the rest of the games are unveiled?

MadGear

Oct 25, 2017
Honestly, I don't trust fight money.

Well so far I haven't bought a single character pass because I only buy the characters I'm interested in with fight money (and Balrog by accident) and I still have 400k left for season 3. Admittedly, it's a bit weird learning to play against the characters I don't own since I can't select them for training mode but for the most part I'm fine with learning the matchup by watching replays.

Xater

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
I picked up the game recently, and so far I've been enjoy it. But, as Baron von Loathsome mentioned above, the game is a turned-based title, and an entertaining conversion of the tabletop experience, not really a Diablo clone.

As for Torchlight, only Torchlight II has multiplayer, the first game is single-player only.
If you are looking for games similar to Diablo to play with your friend, take a look at Titan Quest, Grim Dawn, or Victor Vran (although do note, for the later, I would recommend a controller, since I personally found the game to work better with one).

Those board games are cool. I should add this to my wishlist.

Status
Not open for further replies.