Oct 25, 2017
Cincinnati
Alright, maybe someone here has a solution for this. I got mine yesterday, and I also bought a 2TB Sandisk external SSD literally to just transfer my ripped roms from my PC to this thing and for some reason the Deck will not recognize the SSD, I have hooked into a bunch of other things just to check and it was fine on all of them. It's in Exfat format so it isn't an issue there, I just do not understand. The port works at least for charging and it was able to get my MicroSD card with no issues. The only other thing I can think of is a power issue, but this type of SSD shouldn't have that problem.

Edit: Nevermind it just randomly worked after like the 20th attempt.....wtf..

Last edited:

mute

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
I think the only emulation related question I have yet to answer is DS at this point. Desmune in RA runs like crap on deck with anything higher than 1x res and MelonDS refuses to launch. Standalone MelonDS runs great at 6x res but has a menu bar you can't get rid of so it never actually is full screen.

Oct 30, 2017
I think I'm going to sell my 256GB unit and get the OLED model. Has anyone sold theirs in the UK? Anything I should know.
I sold mine on FB marketplace. 512 lcd. Sold it the morning after the oled announcement for 300 just to get it out there for a fair price.

The oled 1TB feels like the lcd deck, just tightened up in every possible way, with a dramatically better screen and better battery life. 90hz feels stupidly good.

Fox1304

Oct 26, 2017
Am I missing something to make Max Payne 3 work ? Bought on steam, and it stays on the « running install script » pre-screen

Oct 30, 2017
Need some help. I had installed battle.net diablo 4 without issue on my LCD deck. I installed the launcher via the non-steam game, and installed that way via desktop.

I started this on the oled, and it was downloading fine, but when I paused downloading and exited, the next time I launched Battle.net it was just grey. I tried a few times, nothing. So, I deleted everything and started again.

Now, my Battle.net launcher just spins - I never get a login button. I can enter username and password, but there's just a spinning logo beneath and nothing ever happens. I've redone the Battle.net install three times; same thing happens. No idea what is going on.

Issen

Nov 12, 2017
I had the chance to try out an OLED Deck today, and while it is better, part of why the screen doesn't quite look right to me is the resolution, so it was not as big of an upgrade as I was anticipating. Especially not with the 3.5 update that did absolute wonders to the LCD's calibration.

Pretty happy that I decided to keep mine, and bless Valve for enhancing the LCD screen so much with the 3.5 update!

Orayn

Oct 25, 2017
I started looking at thumbstick mods/replacements last night and didn't realize that the Deck's sticks had a touch sensor that was wired into the PCB. Is there really no way to get metal sticks similar to an Xbox Elite controller, even if I'm okay with giving up that functionality? I feel very spoiled by my Elite Series 2, the metal feels so smooth and it doesn't have any noticeable buildup of plastic crud over time.

mjc

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Has anyone played Against the Storm on deck? Curious how it handles/performs

Chuy

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
There an issue with static and headphones for the OLED deck?
Any pair of headphone/cords i put in I just get some static when used

Nelo Ice

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Has anyone played Against the Storm on deck? Curious how it handles/performs
It runs fine afaik and they recently added a layout for controller support. Their goal is to have it be deck verified at or around 1.0 I believe. I tried it a little last night and it has native controller support though you use the right joystick or trackpad to move around.

panama chief

"This guy are sick"
Oct 27, 2017
Alright, maybe someone here has a solution for this. I got mine yesterday, and I also bought a 2TB Sandisk external SSD literally to just transfer my ripped roms from my PC to this thing and for some reason the Deck will not recognize the SSD, I have hooked into a bunch of other things just to check and it was fine on all of them. It's in Exfat format so it isn't an issue there, I just do not understand. The port works at least for charging and it was able to get my MicroSD card with no issues. The only other thing I can think of is a power issue, but this type of SSD shouldn't have that problem.

Edit: Nevermind it just randomly worked after like the 20th attempt.....wtf..

a possible fix if this ever happens again:

youtu.be

NEW And Updated Emulation Tutorial For Steam Deck * 2023 Guide *

In this video tutorial I set up emulators and install roms on a brand new Steam Deck OLED (1TB) using EmuDeck. I also go through how to use Steam Rom Manager...

Oct 30, 2017
Need some help. I had installed battle.net diablo 4 without issue on my LCD deck. I installed the launcher via the non-steam game, and installed that way via desktop.

I started this on the oled, and it was downloading fine, but when I paused downloading and exited, the next time I launched Battle.net it was just grey. I tried a few times, nothing. So, I deleted everything and started again.

Now, my Battle.net launcher just spins - I never get a login button. I can enter username and password, but there's just a spinning logo beneath and nothing ever happens. I've redone the Battle.net install three times; same thing happens. No idea what is going on.
So just a warning - this was a battlenet update. Do not update your battlenet if you don't want it to break.

Zeroneo

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Has anyone had any success in getting HDR working for non-Steam apps? I installed Disco Elysium and Death Stranding using Heroic and HDR is detected but doesn't work after being enabled

strudelkuchen

Oct 25, 2017
Inscryption @45fps/90hz looks the same as 90fps, but so much more battery life (also TDP limit set to a very low amount).

Good thing the game has no HDR or the white flash 📸 would have destroyed me in bed lol

Sadly no real controller support, but the community profile is decent and trackpads are a godsend.

BFIB

Oct 25, 2017
Has anyone had any success in getting HDR working for non-Steam apps? I installed Disco Elysium and Death Stranding using Heroic and HDR is detected but doesn't work after being enabled
I have Cyberpunk and Witcher 3 installed via GOG and HDR mode is enabled for those. I had to do it in the settings for the games, but it worked once enabled.

strudelkuchen

Oct 25, 2017
I think there is an issue with flatpak (stuff from the Discovery store) and HDR.
Apparently there is a fix for it already or soon coming.

Workaround should be to just add the game exe to steam and run it that way, I think someone mentioned this before in here or the other thread.

deadfolk

Oct 25, 2017
Picked up Tales of Arise. Runs great on Deck. Have it locked at 40fps and its butter smooth and looks fantastic. Also works at 10w!
Nice! Grabbed it myself last week, but haven't started it yet, due to being deep into LaD, CP2077, BG3, TW3 and Chaos;Head Noah.

…and that's just the Steam games. I can only hope that I live long enough to get around to it!

1-D_FE

Oct 27, 2017
Was going to check out the new Steam VR Link yesterday on the Quest 3. Instead I relaxed in a comfy position and played my Deck for an hour and a half. Deck is so good.

On my LCD Deck. Wuuut?

Zeroneo

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I think there is an issue with flatpak (stuff from the Discovery store) and HDR.
Apparently there is a fix for it already or soon coming.

Workaround should be to just add the game exe to steam and run it that way, I think someone mentioned this before in here or the other thread.
Thank you! Adding the exe directly instead of using Heroic's flatpak shortcut worked and HDR seems to be working correctly

6 gifts from Skot

GiftBot

Official Giveaway Bot
Verified
Mar 7, 2018

Giveaway

Restrictions:
Hello, I am bot! I come bearing 6 gifts from Skot Skot!

This is a day raffle that will expire in 24 hours. The winner will be drawn at random! Any prizes leftover after the deadline will become available on a first-come first-serve basis.

These are our awesome prizes:

• Steam Steam: A Short Hike - Won by strudelkuchen strudelkuchen (8 entries)
  • Steam Steam: Aces & Adventures - Won by jack. jack. (5 entries)
  • Steam Steam: Arcade Spirits - Won by Raspada Raspada (2 entries)
  • Steam Steam: Harmony's Odyssey - Won by Mozar Mozar (2 entries)
  • Steam Steam: Patch Quest - Won by Rakuyo Rakuyo (1 entry)
  • Steam Steam: Superhot - Won by Instant Vintage Instant Vintage (10 entries)

SpartyCrunch

Xbox
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Seattle, WA
Is there a way to get Steam to intermingle Steam Deck controller recommendations with Xbox controller recommendations?

I'm playing Finding Paradise on my Steam Deck (sequel to To The Moon), and when I'm handheld I get all these great gamepad layout recommendations. But when I use the Dock, and play with an Xbox controller, the controller recommendations are more limited to just what people created for that particular controller.

For this game it's not a big deal (it's a pretty simple game), but for other games are there ways to see the Steam Controller recommended layouts even when using an Xbox controller, despite the differences in input availability? Or do I just need to manually create layouts myself?

Wesker

Aug 3, 2020
Is there a way to get Steam to intermingle Steam Deck controller recommendations with Xbox controller recommendations?

I'm playing Finding Paradise on my Steam Deck (sequel to To The Moon), and when I'm handheld I get all these great gamepad layout recommendations. But when I use the Dock, and play with an Xbox controller, the controller recommendations are more limited to just what people created for that particular controller.

For this game it's not a big deal (it's a pretty simple game), but for other games are there ways to see the Steam Controller recommended layouts even when using an Xbox controller, despite the differences in input availability? Or do I just need to manually create layouts myself?

You can press X and it will show you all controller configurations when you highlight the tab that shows you community configurations.

ezidro3

May 31, 2021
Has anyone RMAed for the audio static with headphones? Just tried it with my Apple ones and it's.. not great

SOLDIER

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Got a few random Deck-related questions I'd appreciate answers for any or all.

1. What's the best controller configuration for KOTOR 1? It's always been on my to-do list, but the lack of controller support for the PC version always put me off. I have the Xbox original that's compatible on Series X, but that loses all the improvement mods the PC version has. Too bad about that remake...

2. For controller profiles that simulate keyboard controls, is there a way to disable the rumble effect on the buttons? I don't know why this is on by default for WASD profiles.

3. How do I get Neo Geo CD games working on EmuDeck? I'm trying to get the Samurai Spirits RPG patch to work but it won't show up on the parser list, and I can't run it manually on Retroarch.

4. Same question for Turbo Grafix 16/PCE.

5. Is there a way to hide non-Steam shortcuts of games that aren't on the deck? My non-Steam tab is filled with games that I have on my PC but not on the deck.

6. Still haven't figured out how to get Chiaki to work while my PS5 is wired. If there's an updated guide for that please share it.

7. Also just checking, but there still isn't a way to get Gamepass games working on the Deck unless you install Windows on it, is there?

Lee Morris

Oct 28, 2017
I'll preface this statement by saying I've never had a PC, so the steam deck oled is my first steps into that world.

I've been trying to play Black Mesa, as I thought that would be cool for that to be my first game on the steam deck. The only trouble is I'm finding the right stick control to be super sensitive and I haven't even got a gun yet. is there anything I can do to make it feel more "consoley"?

Lost Heaven

Aug 20, 2021
Im having trouble with games that are R2 heavy, such as soulslikes and first person games. Is a trigger extension worth it? Did you notice a difference?

SteveWinwood

Oct 25, 2017
USA USA USA
I'll preface this statement by saying I've never had a PC, so the steam deck oled is my first steps into that world.

I've been trying to play Black Mesa, as I thought that would be cool for that to be my first game on the steam deck. The only trouble is I'm finding the right stick control to be super sensitive and I haven't even got a gun yet. is there anything I can do to make it feel more "consoley"?
there should be sensitivity sliders in the settings, there is also some assist for sticks I think when it comes to "auto-aim"

you could also start playing around in steam input but maybe that's a next step if the settings menu won't get you what you need

at that point you could start messing around with trackpads and gyro, which was a revelation to me when i got my steam controller

ryushe

Oct 27, 2017
Is there an easy way to set gyro aiming to only kick in during a specific button press? I'm playing Cyberpunk and I want to gyro aim when I'm aiming down sights with a weapon, but not any other time.
Yes there is. I'm not in front of my Steamdeck right now, so I don't remember exactly but you go to the control options for whatever game you want gyro in, edit controller, enable gyro and set the condition (i.e. When pressing the L2 trigger for instance).

.exe

Oct 25, 2017

When you open the controller configuration window, go to load new layouts, then have your selection over the community layouts tab, and there should be a prompt to press X (on Xbox/Steam controller) to "show all layouts". That will populate the list with controllers other than the one you're currently using.

SpartyCrunch

Xbox
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Seattle, WA
You can press X and it will show you all controller configurations when you highlight the tab that shows you community configurations.

When you open the controller configuration window, go to load new layouts, then have your selection over the community layouts tab, and there should be a prompt to press X (on Xbox/Steam controller) to "show all layouts". That will populate the list with controllers other than the one you're currently using.
Thanks for the pointer!

Kodiak33

Oct 30, 2017
The relevant sections are:

- Platform Specific Setup -> Arcade and Neo Geo -> Model 2/Model 3

And

- Running Windows Images in Wine or Proton (model 2 only)

Thanks for your help.

Followed the instructions and got Model 3 working, but I still can't get Model 2 to work inside ES-DE. It works fine from Lutris, but I cannot figure it out through ES. I also used Winecfg to make sure I had the right dlls but no luck.

Sangral