VNLA

Jan 1, 2023
Does anyone know how to set up Wiimotes and ninchucks on Dolphin?

I, for the life of me, cannot figure it out.

I wanna play Wii Sports again!

etiira

Oct 25, 2017
Does anyone have troubleshooting for a deck that crashed and won't boot?

I was in dolphin on desktop mode and had to force a shut down. Now when I try to boot, I hear the beep, but the screen won't turn on, no buttons are responsive, and the fan blasts at full power. I get a blinking white light while it's on and I still correctly get a green light when plugged in (the device had a full charge when this occured).

My OLED is well-built and in otherwise great condition. I really don't want to risk sending this in and getting a new deck from valve that may not be as solid as my current one.

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
Last night, I connected my Deck to the (official) dock and it showed a yellow/orange charging light. I didn't think much of it until this morning, when I turned it on to find it had barely charged at all. Apparently that color indicates it was in slow charging mode.

In classic electronics fashion, I unplugged it and plugged it back in, and now it's charging regularly with the white light.

Has anyone got any ideas why it would slow charge with Valve's own charger and dock?

Does anyone have troubleshooting for a deck that crashed and won't boot?

Do you get any output on screen when you hold the Volume Up button and turn it on? (The Deck needs to be off already, you don't need to hold the buttons for more than a sec.)

Unrelated, I played some Monster Hunter Rise after spending a lot of time with MHGU on Switch, and I felt like a Dragon Ball character discarding their weighted clothes. So many frames. So many movement options. Drinking potions without flexing?! That game is easy mode.

Last edited:

DrHercouet

May 25, 2018
France
I wanted to try some 3DS games (my N3DS upper screen has bad screen leaks so I can't use it right now) which coincides with a sudden craving of revisiting Pokémon gen 6 and Shin Megami Tensei IV.

Honnestly, the ability to play 3DS games at 5x, 6x, 7x... the original res? It's amazing. I didn't think I would enjoy it enough. I really love the 3D effect so losing it is a bit of a bummer but it's an acceptable shortcoming for a near perfect "3DS HD on the go" experience. The OLED screen makes having a little screen on the right of the big screen more acceptable, like a little side VMU thing. (I play in the dark, in my bed, so I don't see the empy black of the screen) I miss 3D but a lot of games I like weren't big on 3D so it's not a great loss. Also, Pokémon ORAS in HD is incredible although a bit dated - I still can't believe you can have analog movement in ORAS on the field maps but you're stuck with 8 directions movement inside the houses and shops.

Sometimes I feel like I've seen almost everything the Deck has to offer after more than 1 year and half of having one (now two!) and yet here we are, still amazed at what it can do.

Does anyone know how to set up Wiimotes and ninchucks on Dolphin?

I, for the life of me, cannot figure it out.

I wanna play Wii Sports again!
I would LOVE to know that as well. And how to map it properly!

Oct 27, 2017
I wanted to try some 3DS games (my N3DS upper screen has bad screen leaks so I can't use it right now) which coincides with a sudden craving of revisiting Pokémon gen 6 and Shin Megami Tensei IV.

Honnestly, the ability to play 3DS games at 5x, 6x, 7x... the original res? It's amazing. I didn't think I would enjoy it enough. I really love the 3D effect so losing it is a bit of a bummer but it's an acceptable shortcoming for a near perfect "3DS HD on the go" experience. The OLED screen makes having a little screen on the right of the big screen more acceptable, like a little side VMU thing. (I play in the dark, in my bed, so I don't see the empy black of the screen) I miss 3D but a lot of games I like weren't big on 3D so it's not a great loss. Also, Pokémon ORAS in HD is incredible although a bit dated - I still can't believe you can have analog movement in ORAS on the field maps but you're stuck with 8 directions movement inside the houses and shops.

Sometimes I feel like I've seen almost everything the Deck has to offer after more than 1 year and half of having one (now two!) and yet here we are, still amazed at what it can do.

I would LOVE to know that as well. And how to map it properly!
One thing that is remarkable to me, in the case of Ultra Moon at least, is that the power draw at 3x res in Citra is unbelievably low on the Deck. I think it uses a total package power of 5W or so in that game which translates to insane battery life. And yes, it does look excellent at higher res. I was playing the game on the 3DS beforehand, and while native hardware does have advantages, the improvement in image quality is exceptional.

One sad thing is that a texture pack was released for it a few years back but it doesn't work on the newer builds of Citra. Having higher res text in itself would be a big improvement.

Abaddon

Oct 25, 2017
Last night, I connected my Deck to the (official) dock and it showed a yellow/orange charging light. I didn't think much of it until this morning, when I turned it on to find it had barely charged at all. Apparently that color indicates it was in slow charging mode.

In classic electronics fashion, I unplugged it and plugged it back in, and now it's charging regularly with the white light.

Has anyone got any ideas why it would slow charge with Valve's own charger and dock?
USB-C power delivery is a goddamn dark art, my best guess is there was a hiccup in the power negotiation and it fell back to the lowest possible to avoid any issues, which isn't enough to charge the Deck.

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
USB-C power delivery is a goddamn dark art, my best guess is there was a hiccup in the power negotiation and it fell back to the lowest possible to avoid any issues, which isn't enough to charge the Deck.

Curious. I suppose I'll just have to keep an eye on the charging light from now on.

Cecil

Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
Asking in this thread as well, as I did in the Steam thread.
For those who has played Guardians of the Galaxy on the Deck, how far (which chapter) have you gotten to in the game?
I'm at chapter 5, where I can't progress anymore because of issues with the game.

DrHercouet

May 25, 2018
France
One sad thing is that a texture pack was released for it a few years back but it doesn't work on the newer builds of Citra. Having higher res text in itself would be a big improvement.
Yeah, I would have loved a texture pack for XY too but there seem to be one for ORAS and this is the one I'm tackling right now so... trying it tonight and crossing fingers here!!

Satoru

Jan 4, 2023
I sold my LCD Deck last year but now I want the OLED so bad! I only sold it 'cause I was dissapointed with the battery life but the new version fixes that
Maybe in the future I won't even have Sony consoles anymore, only Deck + Nintendo
I'm already filling my steam wishlist with tons of games! I don't know when I will get one but I'm anxious and excited already!

etiira

Oct 25, 2017
Do you get any output on screen when you hold the Volume Up button and turn it on? (The Deck needs to be off already, you don't need to hold the buttons for more than a sec.)

Nada, I get the same as just pressing power - chime at start, blinking white light, no screen, fans blasting intermittently. I just now noticed that the haptics on my trackpads are active as well.

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
Nada, I get the same as just pressing power - chime at start, blinking white light, no screen, fans blasting intermittently. I just now noticed that the haptics on my trackpads are active as well.

Have you tried Volume Down + Power when turning it on? That resets your CMOS settings to default. I doubt that'll do anything beneficial, but at this point you might as well try.

Sounds like it's fried though :c I'd contact Valve.

BFIB

Oct 25, 2017
I'll wrap up Wind Waker HD tonight. Going to start either Twilight Princess HD or ToTK.....on Switch. Its a damn shame I can't get it stable on the Deck.

etiira

Oct 25, 2017
Have you tried Volume Down + Power when turning it on? That resets your CMOS settings to default. I doubt that'll do anything beneficial, but at this point you might as well try.

Sounds like it's fried though :c I'd contact Valve.

Sadly I've tried every combo of buttons at boot that I can find to try, inc vol down + power. Going to leave it plugged in today and try again after work, but I fear you're right. I'm not seeing the same combination of slow blink + fan + chime and haptics from other users trying to troubleshoot either.

Laephis

Jun 25, 2021
Sadly I've tried every combo of buttons at boot that I can find to try, inc vol down + power. Going to leave it plugged in today and try again after work, but I fear you're right. I'm not seeing the same combination of slow blink + fan + chime and haptics from other users trying to troubleshoot either.
I have no idea if this would help, but one thing I'd consider trying is removing the battery. From a Reddit post describing a similar situation: Remove the SD card, remove the back cover and disconnect the battery. Hold down the Power button for 30 seconds to make sure everything was drained off its power.

etiira

Oct 25, 2017
I have no idea if this would help, but one thing I'd consider trying is removing the battery. From a Reddit post describing a similar situation: Remove the SD card, remove the back cover and disconnect the battery. Hold down the Power button for 30 seconds to make sure everything was drained off its power.

This will have to be the next step if it doesn't turn on tonight. Thanks for the tip.

mauaus

Oct 25, 2017

Yooo same exact thing happened to me last night and it was the OLED deck first charge so it made me super nervous that something was wrong. Charged fine from a spare charger i have

LilScooby77

Dec 11, 2019
I sold my LCD Deck last year but now I want the OLED so bad! I only sold it 'cause I was dissapointed with the battery life but the new version fixes that
Maybe in the future I won't even have Sony consoles anymore, only Deck + Nintendo
I'm already filling my steam wishlist with tons of games! I don't know when I will get one but I'm anxious and excited already!
Yeah im thinking about how simple it is to just own a deck and switch alone and i wouldnt be missing out on too much. This is balanced out when cod and hopefully destiny comes to switch 2 and ill have all my issues solved as the switch could play these anti cheat games.

Jameson

Nov 23, 2017
Has anyone dealt with stick drift that pulls back towards the dead zone?

I only noticed it after I downloaded Yakuza 0 to do some side quests, my character couldn't run at full speed.

Fulluphigh

Oct 31, 2017
Has anybody come across a case/grip for the OG deck that actually adds ergonomic grips, like the hori splitpad or zengrip for the switch? I haven't found a single option (that wasn't 3D printed), and I've spent the last 18 months searching for one so I can actually use this stupidly heavy thing. Even the stealthgrip, from the same company that made the zengrip for the switch, was a complete let down (just another mildly textured hard plastic wrap like every other no-brand drop shipped one on Amazon, except they charge 5x the price for it).

Per those examples, I mean something that adds flared handles, like on every modern controller in the last 20 years. Turns out the switch's weight and width is the absolute limit of what my wrists can support with the "completely vertical, completely unergonomic" form factor. And the ridiculously heavy buttons and their long travel distance doesn't help. I've only been able to use the deck docked since i bought it, and I have a PC, so... I don't use it. I should have returned it but... idk, I'm a fool lol.

Satoru

Jan 4, 2023
Yeah im thinking about how simple it is to just own a deck and switch alone and i wouldnt be missing out on too much. This is balanced out when cod and hopefully destiny comes to switch 2 and ill have all my issues solved as the switch could play these anti cheat games.
Right? I might be getting older but this seems like the perfect way to play for my current lifestyle. I don't need to own every single console
Just two incredible handheld/hybrid devices to play everything the way I want, whenever I want. I can play even when someone else is watching TV all my games

LilScooby77

Dec 11, 2019
Right? I might be getting older but this seems like the perfect way to play for my current lifestyle. I don't need to own every single console
Just two incredible handheld/hybrid devices to play everything the way I want, whenever I want. I can play even when someone else is watching TV all my games
Yeah the future is looking so damn convenient 😂

TrojanAg

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 25, 2017
Anybody else here have EmuDeck randomly stop launching? This happened to me about a month or two ago and I still haven't been able to get it to work. It was working just fine ever since I bought a Steam Deck at launch and I set up a bunch of retro games to work but now it will not launch the app.

russbus64

May 1, 2018
Anyone know a good guide for installing Waydroid or similar using Distrobox? I'd rather not mess with the Steam OS only for an update to break it.

1-D_FE

Oct 27, 2017
Anybody else here have EmuDeck randomly stop launching? This happened to me about a month or two ago and I still haven't been able to get it to work. It was working just fine ever since I bought a Steam Deck at launch and I set up a bunch of retro games to work but now it will not launch the app.

I think this maybe happened to me once. Have you tried rerunning Steam ROM manager? And having it select which things you want displayed? I think I may have fixed things by redoing that.

The easy thing would be to just fix the link (that's most certainly broken). But if you don't like dealing with Linux, like I don't, this might just do it for you.

LilScooby77

Dec 11, 2019
Is it actually?
I've still not given the game much notice, but would probably hangout on the deck if it runs well.

I saw breif footage of it fluctuating between 25/30fps the other day
Played a small amount up to building a palbox and it was very stable but i wasnt playing with the frame counter on.

Ryhian

Jan 23, 2018
Played a small amount up to building a palbox and it was very stable but i wasnt playing with the frame counter on.

I played for 20-25 mins mainly doing base activities and light exploring near the base and it was fine (25-30fps). From friends who have played a lot on SD it seems like dungeons aren't too playable due to really low fps.

TrojanAg

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 25, 2017
I think this maybe happened to me once. Have you tried rerunning Steam ROM manager? And having it select which things you want displayed? I think I may have fixed things by redoing that.

The easy thing would be to just fix the link (that's most certainly broken). But if you don't like dealing with Linux, like I don't, this might just do it for you.
I did try opening the SteamRomManager and updated all of the emulators to see if that would work but it didn't fix the issue. I'll try again and see if that works. If that doesn't work, which link are you referring to? I'd be willing to try that route if nothing else works.

1-D_FE

Oct 27, 2017
I did try opening the SteamRomManager and updated all of the emulators to see if that would work but it didn't fix the issue. I'll try again and see if that works. If that doesn't work, which link are you referring to? I'd be willing to try that route if nothing else works.

I would assume the Linux symlink is somehow no longer pointing in the right direction. I avoid symlinks like the plague. So you'll need a Linux person to help you.

bonch00ski

Oct 25, 2017
Patching a game on your Micro SD card is so painfully slow that it was easier for me to uninstall Redfall from my SD card, download the newesr version to my SSD, then move back to my SD card then to wait the 3 days steam said it would take to finish patching

Theswweet

RPG Site
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
California
So, what's the best option for a dock these days? UNI2 seems to run fine @ 1080p on Deck, so I'm looking to grab something I can bring with me for locals.

Footos22

Oct 25, 2017
The last time I played space marine was at launch on PS3. Playing it at rock solid 90fps with max settings and 4+ hour battery life is like black magic compared to then lol.

Karish

Oct 25, 2017
I just got the Skull and Co case for Deck. This might be the end game. It's super lightweight and grippy, and the way it just automatically stands at a slight angle is a really nice touch.

Rolento

Oct 25, 2017
I just got the Skull and Co case for Deck. This might be the end game. It's super lightweight and grippy, and the way it just automatically stands at a slight angle is a really nice touch.

Does it add a lot of bulk at the base? I'm looking for a case that can still sit in a dock stand easily

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
So, what's the best option for a dock these days? UNI2 seems to run fine @ 1080p on Deck, so I'm looking to grab something I can bring with me for locals.

I've been using Valve's for a little while and it has served me well. Sometimes you've gotta unplug it and plug it back in, but usually it functions as expected. The one by Jsaux is also well regarded but doesn't come with an extra charger like Valve's.

ss_lemonade

Oct 27, 2017
Maybe I'm reading this wrong, but why does the Discover app always seems to show me application updates with version numbers that go backwards?

Fa5FlNI.png

2 gifts from Zaphod79

GiftBot

Official Giveaway Bot
Verified
Mar 7, 2018

Giveaway

Restrictions:
Hello, I am bot! I come bearing 2 gifts from Zaphod79 Zaphod79!

This is a raffle that will expire in 12 hours. The winner will be drawn at random! Any prizes leftover after the deadline will become available on a first-come first-serve basis.

Zaphod79 said:
Two dupes from the new humble souls like bundle

Renment is Gold on ProtonDB : https://www.protondb.com/app/617290
Hellpoint is Platinum : https://www.protondb.com/app/628670

These are our awesome prizes:

• Steam Steam: Hellpoint - Won by ILPUMAGUERRIERO ILPUMAGUERRIERO (9 entries)
  • Steam Steam: Remnant: From The Ashes - Won by tolman tolman (20 entries)

Chackan

Oct 31, 2017
Are you using the mod?

No im using everything at medium settings.

Does it make that much of a difference in performance?

I am running with a mix of low and medium settings, TDP 15 and locked at 30fps.

It is 98% of the time stable at 30fps, altough I would love to either reach 40fps stable or be able to reduce the TDP.

Deleted member 49611

Nov 14, 2018
I tried hooking my Deck up to my TV but it wasn't a great experience. Connected my xbox controller and there is so much lag. I couldn't get my Series X controller to connect at all so had to use my Xbox One controller.

Loaded up Baldurs Gate 3 but my character keeps moving after i let go of the stick (it's not drift i checked and it works fine on my PC) and scrolling the radial wheels is a stuttering mess. Tried Tony Hawks Pro Skater and it was unplayable with the controller too. I don't know what it is about BG3 but the game looks so dark. I did adjust the brightness/contrast settings but it only seems to affect the game world as the UI is still really dark. I've decided to uninstall it and bought it again on PS5 so i'll just switch between PC and PS5 to play it.

I guess i'll just use it exclusively as a handheld then. I got the official dock so i'll only use that if I need to mess about in the desktop mode with my keyboard and mouse.