ramenline

Jan 9, 2019
playing GTA4/5 on Deck: no i need this to be in handheld mode, it looks incredible on the small screen

emulating a PS1 game on Deck: no i need this docked to my TV, it looks incredible with fancy 1080p/1440p CRT shaders

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
Encountered a strange problem. The audio on my Deck is really quiet all of a sudden. Unless I set the volume at maximum, I can barely hear anything out of its speakers. The first 30-40% of audio levels also sound crunchy/unclear.

Anyone have ideas? I went into desktop and checked if the volume wasn't set low or something. Everything looks ok.

edit: I raised the levels of the "speakers" in the audio settings, then when reverting to "default" as the chosen audio device I was able to get louder sounds out of it, but the first two audio levels (i.e. the lowest/quietest two) have really scratchy sound now. I don't think that was the case before.

Does it sound okay on other people's units?

I really hope this isn't another RMA...

Last edited:

Durden

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Got a Chiaki question. If I move my PS5 from one house to another temporarily, connect to the internet at that house (not using Chiaki), and then move it back to my original home, will that fuck with my Chiaki IP settings to where I will need to set it back up again? Or will it just still be plug and play when I bring it back to my house?

Huey

Oct 27, 2017
Got a Chiaki question. If I move my PS5 from one house to another temporarily, connect to the internet at that house (not using Chiaki), and then move it back to my original home, will that fuck with my Chiaki IP settings to where I will need to set it back up again? Or will it just still be plug and play when I bring it back to my house?
Assuming the IP address at the first house stays the same, it shouldn't.

Rahkeesh

Jun 20, 2022
I take back anything nice I ever said about displayport VRR on the official dock. Hooked it up to an MSI freesync monitor and its the exact same behavior as the C1, black screens and sync issues galore when VRR toggle is enabled. VRR/freesync just seems completely unusable right now, but props to Valve for keeping parity between DP and HDMI I guess.

strudelkuchen

Oct 25, 2017

Spacejaws

"This guy are sick" of the One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Scotland
Depends on your network setup. Have you setup any kind of IP reservation on your router? Or setup static IP on your PS5.

If you do a mac address reservation then your router should only give your PS5 that IP address, so if you take it somewhere else then come back the IP should always be the same. If you set a static IP on your PS5 that should be fine when your in your own home, but when you take it somewhere else you'd need to change it back to DHCP more than likely as their network might not be the same IP ranges.

If you go into your routers web page, if there's a way to reserve an IP address to a MAC address do that. Then you can leave your PS5 on auto and ir'll get the same IP in your home.

Otherwise, when you come back if your PS5 has picked a different IP either rerun the Chiaki script and enter the new IP or set the PS5 as static IP at the old address (if some other device grabbed that IP address you may have to go reboot that device).

Personally all I do is set my PS5 to a static address thats a high number on my network, cause I can't do mac reservation. Generally the higher IP addresses are not the first to get dished out so I dont have to worry about another device taking that IP when I reboot or something.

Spacejaws

Oct 27, 2017
Scotland
I haven't seen much buzz about it, with Starfields new patch does it run any better with Deck or is it largely the same?

Oct 30, 2017

View: https://twitter.com/Plagman2/status/1753552566661853306
old.reddit.com

PSA for Persona 3 Reload players to massively improve fps

We worked on this game today in vkd3d-proton and two fixes are in-flight for Hotfix/Experimental: - RT disabled by default for the game on Deck...

Valve did some work on P3R.

If I read this correct:

For RT use: SteamOS preview + proton experimental [bleeding-edge]
Non RT use: SteamOS stable + proton experimental [bleeding-edge]

Seems to run really well.

Seems mixed From impressions. Better, but some still seeing drops below 30 in some areas with certain lighting.

Luxye

Alt Account
Banned
Nov 1, 2023
Pretty sure LoL was trying to put the same anticheat as in Valorant that basically makes it impossible to use Linux on there.

This is true, within this year league of legends will no longer function on steam deck Linux. It will be using the windows kernel level anticheat. Riot has already commented on the situation and said that they have no plans to change course on that decision.

flipswitch

Oct 25, 2017
Those who have Disco Elysium, did you go with the default control theme or something from the community?

2 gifts from Zaphod79

GiftBot

Official Giveaway Bot
Verified
Mar 7, 2018

Giveaway

Restrictions:
Hello, I am bot! I come bearing 2 gifts from Zaphod79 Zaphod79!

This is a raffle that will expire in 12 hours. The winner will be drawn at random! Any prizes leftover after the deadline will become available on a first-come first-serve basis.

Zaphod79 said:
Two extras from the latest Humble Indie bundle : https://www.humblebundle.com/games/exceptional-indie-allies

Not For Broadcast
https://store.steampowered.com/app/1147550/Not_For_Broadcast/
Proton DB silver https://www.protondb.com/app/1147550 Silver (works with some workarounds)

One Step from Eden
https://store.steampowered.com/app/960690/One_Step_From_Eden/
Proton DB platinum https://www.protondb.com/app/960690 (works out of the box)

These are our awesome prizes:

• Steam Steam: One Step From Eden - Won by Nelo Ice Nelo Ice (8 entries)
  • Steam Steam: Not For Broadcast - Won by kreven kreven (8 entries)

strudelkuchen

Oct 25, 2017
Apparently this is P3R running on Windows. Hope there's a Proton patch or something soon.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SAnA3xHpw4Q

www.resetera.com

Steam Deck |OT 2 Episode 1| LCDs for Sale here Valve - OT

https://twitter.com/Plagman2/status/1753552566661853306 https://old.reddit.com/r/SteamDeck/comments/1agwei0/psa_for_persona_3_reload_players_to_massively/kolwous/ Valve did some work on P3R. If I read this correct: For RT use: SteamOS preview + proton experimental [bleeding-edge] Non RT use...

jack.

Oct 27, 2017
www.resetera.com

Steam Deck |OT 2 Episode 1| LCDs for Sale here Valve - OT

https://twitter.com/Plagman2/status/1753552566661853306 https://old.reddit.com/r/SteamDeck/comments/1agwei0/psa_for_persona_3_reload_players_to_massively/kolwous/ Valve did some work on P3R. If I read this correct: For RT use: SteamOS preview + proton experimental [bleeding-edge] Non RT use...

Yeah, I tried that. It's a slight improvement but nowhere near a steady 60fps in Tartarus.

ss_lemonade

Oct 27, 2017
My LE OLED has started exhibiting "creaking" when pressure is being applied to the right side. Is this an easy thing to fix?

Rahkeesh

Jun 20, 2022
If P3R is mandating even light Raytracing, I recall support for that in the Linux driver is still very shaky. So that alone could be messing things up, and also not a quick and easy fix since they've been making slow progress on RT support.

Feenix

Prophet of Truth
Nov 17, 2017
I'm completely at a loss. Emudeck is supposed to be foolproof but I suppose I'm a fool. I have formatted (several, now) USB flash sticks as Ms Dos FAT but when I insert them the steam deck never recognizes any drive is inserted.

Jashobeam

Oct 27, 2017
I'm completely at a loss. Emudeck is supposed to be foolproof but I suppose I'm a fool. I have formatted (several, now) USB flash sticks as Ms Dos FAT but when I insert them the steam deck never recognizes any drive is inserted.

try using one of those multi port adapters that has normal usb, and a usb-c input. I use my official apple multi port (usb a/b input for usb stick, and usb c to power adapter, just connect your steam deck adapter to it) and it worked fine. I also had issues trying to use usb sticks with those single usb-c adapters but had no luck.

Tobor

Oct 25, 2017
Richmond, VA
What/how is that in terms of formatting it with my Mac?

You don't need to use a USB drive at all. You can drag and drop from your Mac to the deck with an SMB share. I posted directions for you a couple of pages back.

All you need is to set up a SMB share on your Mac. I wrote it up a while ago.

- Go to System Settings - General - Sharing
- Turn on File Sharing.
- On the file sharing info screen, click "Options..." and check "Share files and folders using SMB"
- Back on the file sharing screen, it will tell you the path you need for the steam deck. Something like smb://my-mac-mini.your-router.home
- On the Steam Deck, go to desktop mode and open Dolphin.
- right click in the column on the left hand side of the screen under "Remote" and choose "Add Entry"
- fill in the label: I called mine "Mac mini"
- fill in the location: put the smb:// path here
- put in the User name and password for your Mac.
- You should be good to go.

Once this is set up you can drag and drop.

Huey

Oct 27, 2017
Pretty insane deal on the Tomb Raider reboot series - all 3 games + all DLC for 93% off

store.steampowered.com

Tomb Raider Definitive Survivor Trilogy on Steam

Tomb Raider: Definitive Survivor Trilogy is the complete edition of the award-winning Tomb Raider origin games. This collection contains all the definitive edition content from each critically acclaimed prequel title—Tomb Raider, Rise of the Tomb Raider: 20 Year Celebration, and Shadow of the...

You don't need to use a USB drive at all. You can drag and drop from your Mac to the deck with an SMB share. I posted directions for you a couple of pages back.
Maaan, I've literally been meaning to do this for two years but had tried/failed and then never went back to it. Such a functional improvement over USB transfers 🙏

Last edited:

Spacejaws

Oct 27, 2017
Scotland
Anybody elses Chiaki4Deck crashing the remote play often?

Feels like every other day Chiaki tells me remote play has crashed on the PS5 and I need to reboot the console. Can't connect on remote play via phone either. Only started happening since it updated with the fancy new UI.

russbus64

May 1, 2018
Pretty insane deal on the Tomb Raider reboot series - all 3 games + all DLC for 93% off

store.steampowered.com

Tomb Raider Definitive Survivor Trilogy on Steam

Tomb Raider: Definitive Survivor Trilogy is the complete edition of the award-winning Tomb Raider origin games. This collection contains all the definitive edition content from each critically acclaimed prequel title—Tomb Raider, Rise of the Tomb Raider: 20 Year Celebration, and Shadow of the...

Maaan, I've literally been meaning to do this for two years but had tried/failed and then never went back to it. Such a functional improvement over USB transfers 🙏
PSA for the first one (haven't tested the others) to make sure to force Proton. The Linux port isn't great!

SimpleCRIPPLE

Oct 28, 2017
Anybody elses Chiaki4Deck crashing the remote play often?

Feels like every other day Chiaki tells me remote play has crashed on the PS5 and I need to reboot the console. Can't connect on remote play via phone either. Only started happening since it updated with the fancy new UI.
Yeah, same. Not sure if it's the most recent chiaki4deck update, recent ps5 update, or both.

Fleet of Foot

Oct 27, 2017
Springboro, OH
I don't use my Deck every day. Maybe twice a week I'll turn it on. Every time I do, it seems like EVERY game I have installed will have to update. Is this because I'm on beta or would it be the same if I wasn't on beta?

I don't like running a game while something is downloading so it's like each time I turn the Deck on, I'm sitting forever waiting for everything to update. Is this normal?

Spacejaws

Oct 27, 2017
Scotland
Yeah, same. Not sure if it's the most recent chiaki4deck update, recent ps5 update, or both.
Shit just as I post this I find theres an update that specifically says it fixes this XD

V1.6.3 Release notes
  • Trade-off minor image artifacts for smoother stream
  • Fix race condition causing remote play on console has crashed
  • Fix issue where dropped packets results in losing mic connection
  • Correctly set render preset
  • Set Dualsense microphone and LED to match microphone mute status
  • Add PS5 Rumble for controllers other than DualSense and Steam Deck (which have native haptics support)
  • Enable game mode in MacOS
  • Fix congestion control stop on Windows and log Auto audio output when chosen
  • Add alternate option of using flipscreen.games to query PSN Login
  • Correctly replace old reference frames and update bitstream parsing

SteveWinwood

Oct 25, 2017
USA USA USA
I don't use my Deck every day. Maybe twice a week I'll turn it on. Every time I do, it seems like EVERY game I have installed will have to update. Is this because I'm on beta or would it be the same if I wasn't on beta?

I don't like running a game while something is downloading so it's like each time I turn the Deck on, I'm sitting forever waiting for everything to update. Is this normal?
Are you talking about the shader downloads? Lots of those all the time.

Eventually one day they'll stop. In theory.

Patate

Oct 15, 2022
The Steam Deck OLED is now my main hardware to play games. I pretty much only game on it nowadays. I have Lenovo Legion Pro 7 with a 13900hx and a 4090, but no, fuck it, I enjoy my Deck more. Worse offense though, I play nearly exclusively docked on my 55 inches LG CX. I love how small its foorprint in my living room. So easily to dock out and bring to my bed to end my gaming session if needed.

I am always surprised at how 720p is good enough for me when I sit 15 feet away from the tv. It looks fine enough to me. Games I can at 1080p, I do, but otherwise I don't mind.

And I am impressed at which games I can actually run! Yesterday I played Remnant 2, Dead Space Remake and The Callisto Protocol, and they all ran great! As someone who played games at below 20 fps frequently during the 90s on our old ass PC, a locked 30 fps is fine for me.

And today I played Tekken 8 and it looks AMAZING. And it runs at mostly 60 fps too!

Can't say how much I love my Deck really.

squeakywheel

Oct 29, 2017

Very normal. Pissed me off at first then I just got used to it. I leave my Deck alone for the first 15min if I haven't used it in a while.

Huey

Oct 27, 2017

Very normal. Pissed me off at first then I just got used to it. I leave my Deck alone for the first 15min if I haven't used it in a while.
The default setting on the deck is no background downloads, so they'll stop downloading whenever you play a game. It's just shader caches that help smooth out shader loading and performance causing hitching during games, but just completely ignore them, they'll download when you're in the game mode menu or in desktop mode when not playing, but not when in a game unless you specifically allow that in the games properties.

russbus64

May 1, 2018
Is there a good way to know which location shader cache or compatdata is used for a game? I think there might be duplicate folders between the SD card and internal.