aronmayo

Jul 29, 2020
It's so frustrating how OS updates break games ALL THE TIME. I went to play Forza Horizon 4 today and it turns out it's broken and unfixable currently, despite being labelled as playable. This has happened to me so many times. EA games seem to wildly flip between playable/unplayable constantly too. I want to be able to pick up and play but I'm losing faith in this thing tbh.

fresky

May 3, 2023
Finally turned mine on after not using it for 8 months, was excited at first, but am feeling like ditching it again.

I just wish you could do system-wide hardware input remapping in steamOS. I know the 'switch to nintendo-style button layout' option, but it doesn't work for the games with custom remapping of the xyab buttons. The prompts will still be the 'original buttons' and would feel off for me.

And just that is enough frustration for me. Back to my laptop I suppose. I adore the device but I just can't find enough reason to use it with my currrent workflow.

I see a hardware mod thing for it online, but I just wish Steam could add another layer of remapping to their software some day lol.

stopmrdomino

Jun 25, 2023
RAx7IDo.png

sold my 512gb LCD last year for MSRP after i got sick of the dogshit battery life and the 2010 tablet tier screen

so of course valve solves both of those problems and makes me hum and haw for months if i should jump back in

FUCK IT WE BALL

thenexus6

Oct 26, 2017
UK
RAx7IDo.png

sold my 512gb LCD last year for MSRP after i got sick of the dogshit battery life and the 2010 tablet tier screen

so of course valve solves both of those problems and makes me hum and haw for months if i should jump back in

FUCK IT WE BALL

youtu.be

NCT 127 (엔시티 127) "Punch" (Color Coded Lyrics Eng/Rom/Han/가사)

All Rights Administered by SM Ent.• Artist: NCT 127 (엔시티 127)• Song ♫: Punch• Album: "'NCT #127 Neo Zone: The Final Round"• Released: 2020.05.19................

GrazGamer

Oct 27, 2017
It's so frustrating how OS updates break games ALL THE TIME. I went to play Forza Horizon 4 today and it turns out it's broken and unfixable currently, despite being labelled as playable. This has happened to me so many times. EA games seem to wildly flip between playable/unplayable constantly too. I want to be able to pick up and play but I'm losing faith in this thing tbh.

Yeah, the EA app has broken ME Trilogy LE. Seems to be an issue with both that game and Battefront II, which isn't verified, where it eats all the available ram before the game has even loaded. I logged 18gb before my deck crashed and I was at the title screen. For both these games, changing the UMA buffer to 4g seems to fix how it uses ram, at least until Valve fixes it.

RDR2 is also now broken after the last update, at least the Epic version is, as it says the AMD driver is out of date and won't load.

As much as I love this device, and I have got a lot of games you wouldn't expect to work well or are broken, such as Splinter Cell Conviction, NOLF 1&2, AvP2, GRAW 1&2 and Splinter Cell Pandora Tomorrow, the fact that games are only as good as the last OS or game update is quite frustrating.

thaivo

Nov 2, 2017
RE Engine is like black magic on the Deck. Games like DMC V and RE7 just look amazingly beautiful at 60fps. It looks better than so many other engines and yet performs superior at the same time. Truly wish that Capcom had thought about licensing it out to other developers.

On another note, my mind is blowing at how nice Model 3 emulation works on the Deck. Silky smooth and sharp as heck. Brings back fond memories of Super GT and VF3 in the arcade.

Reddline

Oct 27, 2017
Has anyone had issues with the latest version of PCSX2 and the God of War games on the Deck?

I'm getting black vertical lines when I bump resolution 2x or 3x in God of War. I'm also getting bad ghosting when I bump resolution 2x or 3x in God of War 2. These issues go away when playing native res.

I've come across multiple 'fixes' but none seem to work, if anyone can help that would be greatly appreciated!

Feb 15, 2023
Chiaki4deck is so good I think it may have breathed a new lease of life into my PS5.

Of course forgot to set it to 60fps and was wondering why the framerate was so weird for ages… then when I figured out what I'd done, wow!

ryushe

Oct 27, 2017
RE Engine is like black magic on the Deck. Games like DMC V and RE7 just look amazingly beautiful at 60fps. It looks better than so many other engines and yet performs superior at the same time. Truly wish that Capcom had thought about licensing it out to other developers.
Seriously. The RE Engine is a black magic fusion of Capcom's incredible art direction and what is perhaps the most technically efficient engine out currently.

I'm going through RE3 right now and I'm constantly blown away by how good it looks, especially with HDR enabled. Not to mention locked 60fps. It really does feel like magic, especially on the OLED.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017

On another note, my mind is blowing at how nice Model 3 emulation works on the Deck. Silky smooth and sharp as heck. Brings back fond memories of Super GT and VF3 in the arcade.
RE3 is also really amazing on the Deck - both in looks and performance. Ive still yet to try the rest on it but its definitely impressive.

Ive also been further dipping into various games emulated - Model 2, Model 3, Naomi 1&2, even Hikaru (though that last one... not so good since its still glitchy). Im getting a bigger and bigger "collection" of Sega arcade games that were never ported to consoles, and its great! Was messing around with stuff like Waverider, Jamba Safari, Emergency Call Ambulance and Wild Riders today, its amazing that all this stuff can run practically seamlessly (and with solid frame rates) on a handheld without any real configuration.

Chilikar

Dec 15, 2018
Anybody on here use greenlight for local streaming lately?

I just got the latest AppImage v2.1.1 and I have no idea how to put the Xbox back into standby mode.

Feenix

Prophet of Truth
Nov 17, 2017
I'm currently playing the new Like a Dragon" and I have it performing and looking very satisfactory running at basically a locked 40 FPS. One thing that nags at me just a little bit, (but mostly I'm just trying to understand.) is what drives the visual setting that influences how pixelated and fuzzy the edge of the characters are when they move. it's almost like a pixelated ghosting during quicker movements.

Pargon

Oct 27, 2017
I don't use my Deck every day. Maybe twice a week I'll turn it on. Every time I do, it seems like EVERY game I have installed will have to update. Is this because I'm on beta or would it be the same if I wasn't on beta?

I don't like running a game while something is downloading so it's like each time I turn the Deck on, I'm sitting forever waiting for everything to update. Is this normal?
Check your settings. It should pause downloads while you're playing a game.
I don't know about the deck (haven't tried) but Beta on desktop feels like it updates Steam daily rather than monthly.

Yeah, the EA app has broken ME Trilogy LE. Seems to be an issue with both that game and Battefront II, which isn't verified, where it eats all the available ram before the game has even loaded. I logged 18gb before my deck crashed and I was at the title screen. For both these games, changing the UMA buffer to 4g seems to fix how it uses ram, at least until Valve fixes it.

RDR2 is also now broken after the last update, at least the Epic version is, as it says the AMD driver is out of date and won't load.

As much as I love this device, and I have got a lot of games you wouldn't expect to work well or are broken, such as Splinter Cell Conviction, NOLF 1&2, AvP2, GRAW 1&2 and Splinter Cell Pandora Tomorrow, the fact that games are only as good as the last OS or game update is quite frustrating.
It really sounds like the problem is games that aren't Steam native - either on third-party clients, or ones that go through another launcher stage.
I suppose it could be argued that this would not be an issue of you were running Windows; but it's why I am getting more frustrated at Valve allowing companies to ship games like that on Steam.
It's always third-party DRM or launchers breaking shit - even on my desktop PC when 2K adds a new launcher to old games, or companies add EOS to them.
Companies can't just leave things alone.

I'm currently playing the new Like a Dragon" and I have it performing and looking very satisfactory running at basically a locked 40 FPS. One thing that nags at me just a little bit, (but mostly I'm just trying to understand.) is what drives the visual setting that influences how pixelated and fuzzy the edge of the characters are when they move. it's almost like a pixelated ghosting during quicker movements.
That sounds like FSR2 to me.

Kapryov

"This guy are sick"
Oct 27, 2017
Australia
soooo, my scalped OLED deck was going really well (no noticeable dead pixels, no trigger issues, no sticky buttons, etc)

but now the right bumper has started to make a metallic click/tink noise after I press it... it's still working, but I'm worried that's a sign of an upcoming problem I'm going to have to figure out - without any RMA options

it's weird it's playing up now though, it's not like I play many games that use the bumpers all that much

rckvla

Oct 25, 2017
soooo, my scalped OLED deck was going really well (no noticeable dead pixels, no trigger issues, no sticky buttons, etc)

but now the right bumper has started to make a metallic click/tink noise after I press it... it's still working, but I'm worried that's a sign of an upcoming problem I'm going to have to figure out - without any RMA options

it's weird it's playing up now though, it's not like I play many games that use the bumpers all that much
Lol it's my oled's issue literally a page or two ago. All I did was blow through it and the clink sound was gone. Didn't come back even after several hours of using it.

ss_lemonade

Oct 27, 2017

My LE OLED has started having a similar issue with the right shoulder button. A sort of spring-like noise when just gently touching it

Mullet2000

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto

My LE OLED has started having a similar issue with the right shoulder button. A sort of spring-like noise when just gently touching it

For what it's worth, I had the same issue and it was REALLY annoying me so I opened up my OLED Deck and after trying a few solutions that didn't resolve the noise, I removed the springs from the bumpers entirely.

I've had it that way for over a month and I haven't noticed any negative impact of me doing it. The bumpers don't feel any different or function any differently...button feel and functionality is exactly the same but just with no noise.

Edit: To be clear, this is with L1/R1 bumpers, not the L2/R2 triggers. Removing springs for the triggers probably isn't an option.

5 gifts from Zaphod79

GiftBot

Official Giveaway Bot
Verified
Mar 7, 2018

Giveaway

Restrictions:
Hello, I am bot! I come bearing 5 gifts from Zaphod79 Zaphod79!

This is a raffle that will expire in 12 hours. The winner will be drawn at random! Any prizes leftover after the deadline will become available on a first-come first-serve basis.

Zaphod79 said:
Some extras from the new Safe in our world charity bundle from Fanatical : https://www.fanatical.com/en/bundle/safe-in-our-world-charity-bundle-2024

Arcade Paradise
Platinum : https://www.protondb.com/app/1388870

Calico
Platinum : https://www.protondb.com/app/1112890

Olli Olli world
Gold : https://www.protondb.com/app/1190170

Say No! More
Platinum : https://www.protondb.com/app/1191900

Stick Fight: The Game
Gold : https://www.protondb.com/app/674940

These are our awesome prizes:

• Steam Steam: Arcade Paradise - Won by Sword Familiar Sword Familiar (6 entries)
  • Steam Steam: Calico - Won by MoosiferX MoosiferX (1 entry)
  • Steam Steam: Olli Olli world - Won by Rexskel Rexskel (23 entries)
  • Steam Steam: Say No! More - Won by qtamir1 qtamir1 (1 entry)
  • Steam Steam: Stick Fight: The Game - Won by NeonDelta NeonDelta (1 entry)

jon bones

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
OlliOlli World is my GOTY 2023, and looks beautiful on Deck. Excited for whomever wins that one and gets to play it for the first time!

SimpleCRIPPLE

Oct 28, 2017
Chiaki4deck is so good I think it may have breathed a new lease of life into my PS5.

Of course forgot to set it to 60fps and was wondering why the framerate was so weird for ages… then when I figured out what I'd done, wow!
Yeah, its incredible that its free. THe experience with Chiaki4deck and the OLED is so good, i returned my Portal after a few weeks.

iceblade

Oct 25, 2017
Silly question but I've put in an order for a 512GB Steam Deck OLED, and it should hopefully come in this week.

Accessories-wise I've gone for a case (the stock one seems like it's going to be big for my tastes), screen protector, 512GB MicroSD card, and some thumb caps. I'm also going to be putting in an order for some earphones. Is there anything obvious or subtle (to improve quality of life I mean) I'm missing or should that be enough to get me going?

I have no interest in docking it so wouldn't need one of those.

strudelkuchen

Oct 25, 2017

Huey

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, its incredible that its free. THe experience with Chiaki4deck and the OLED is so good, i returned my Portal after a few weeks.
Very interesting, you're the first person I've come across that has used both. Would love some more detailed impressions and comparisons. It's almost worth it's own thread tbh, I don't think a lot of people realize how good Chiaki4Deck is, particularly with the most recent UI improvements.

I suspect the set up will still be a barrier to entry for a lot of people, vs. the plug and play nature of the Portal. There's also the price differential, but the Deck obviously doesn't an almost comical number of other functions compared to the portal. Also factoring in that most people can't get the portal right now even if they want it

I'm just generally really interested in what Sony's position on Chiaki4Deck is, if anyone from their organization has even noticed it yet

Rumble

Oct 25, 2017
Hamilton, Ontario
Finally got my LE OLED back from a repair. I live in Canada so I was worried about delays shipping over the border there and back again, but honestly it all went pretty smoothly. I had the staticy headphone jack issue that people were having with the LE edition, and I'm happy to report that it seems totally fixed. I confirmed that I got the same unit back that I sent in, so I'm now the proud owner of a *perfect* LE edition OLED. That was a long wait, but worth it. This device is just so, so nice.

SimpleCRIPPLE

Oct 28, 2017
Very interesting, you're the first person I've come across that has used both. Would love some more detailed impressions. It's almost worth it's own thread tbh, I don't think a lot of people realize how good Chiaki4Deck is, particularly with the most recent UI improvements.

I suspect the set up will still be a barrier to entry for a lot of people, vs. the plug and play nature of the Portal, but one of these devices does many, many other things. Also factoring in that most people can't get the portal right now even if they want it
I thought i was all-in with Portal. I even bought a Skull n Co case for it that's useless now. Impressions of Portal vs Chiaki4Deck w/ 1TB OLED LE:

Portal Pros:
Same ergonomics and haptics/triggers we know and love
Screen is huge and looks great for LCD
It just works, both at home on WiFi and out of the house over the internet. As long as you don't need to log into a captive wifi hotspot.

Portal Cons: (from my experience, with my network)
30fps games are smooth, 60fps are a stutterfest.
While the ergonomics are technically the same, with the Portal being so wide, it wasn't nearly as comfortable as a standard PS5 controller for me.

Chiaki4deck + OLED Pros:
HDR!
Higher quality w/ improved bitrate
Rock solid 60fps performance
Comfort (Dualsense > Steam Deck > Portal)
Battery life (close to double what i would see on the portal)

Chiaki4deck + OLED Cons:
No adaptive triggers, emulated haptics on Steam Deck are hit and miss
Getting Chiaki working while outside of your home is a pain and can break if your router is reset and provisions a new IP.

Huey

Oct 27, 2017
Portal Cons: (from my experience, with my network)
30fps games are smooth, 60fps are a stutterfest.

Chiaki4deck + OLED Pros:
Rock solid 60fps performance
This is absolutely wild that on the same network you're getting substantially better performance from Chiaki than the Portal. Also the fact that the battery life is that much better is crazy for a device when the Portal does nothing else.

Exactly what I was curious about - thanks!

Feenix

Prophet of Truth
Nov 17, 2017
I know there is no guarantee that these things will run on the steam deck, but is anyone aware of a good website or reviewer or blog that details what's a can't miss in the steam next fest demos? A new event just started and there's a ton of demos and I'm curious to try the ones that are getting good buzz.

SimpleCRIPPLE

Oct 28, 2017
This is absolutely wild that on the same network you're getting substantially better performance from Chiaki than the Portal. Also the fact that the battery life is that much better is crazy for a device when the Portal does nothing else.

Yeah, with the battery life, you can dial down the Steam Deck to 6w or 7w and it's fine. That's when you'll see the battery life shoot way up for Chiaki.

And i was just as surprised with the network performance difference. Sitting in the same spot on my couch, with clear line of sight to my router, consistently the Portal would show stutters with 60fps games while Chiaki is like butter. Not sure if its the difference in wifi antenna placement, software, or a mix of both. I've also see reports where people have the exact opposite experience on their home network.

ss_lemonade

Oct 27, 2017

Wasn't there an issue with the Portal where 120hz games continued to operate at a higher refresh rate, leaving you with judder on the 60hz panel of the Portal? I believe with the Chiaki4deck, it automatically handles this for you once you connect to the PS5.

Also, for OLED owners, it probably helps to drop the refresh rate down to 60 when using chiaki4deck. At least for me, this results in even smoother streaming.