D O T

Jan 1, 2021
Is there no regular Steam OT on the site? I wanted to ask about people's experience with the new family sharing. A friend and I are doing it and it seems to work great, any reason not add another couple of friends?
You can try this one.
www.resetera.com

New Steam Family Share

https://steamcommunity.com/games/593110/announcements/detail/4149575031735702629 New Steam Family Share featuring More than one person actually being able to play online at the same time (edit: just not the same game, more info on that in the next part) Games all pooled together so if you...

Machine Law

Oct 26, 2017

Dungeons of Hinterberg runs at a pretty stable 30 fps on Steam Deck. It's one of those games that really makes the OLED screen shine.

Splatbang

Oct 26, 2017
Austria
I'm really looking forward to that dock update because the dock is currently the single most frustrating issue with my setup. Every single time i'm rolling the dice on whether I have to reconnect the deck to the dock before the signal gets to my tv.

Wesker

Aug 3, 2020
I'm really looking forward to that dock update because the dock is currently the single most frustrating issue with my setup. Every single time i'm rolling the dice on whether I have to reconnect the deck to the dock before the signal gets to my tv.

Every time I read about the official dock I am glad I cheapened out and bought a simple USB-C dongle + stand that works perfectly fine. Except for VRR but that's fine for the games I am playing on my TV.

If the dock is fixed with the new update I might invest in it though.

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, the Dock has thrown a litany of issues at me... If I had bought it at its usual price I'd probably be more ticked, but thankfully I got it pre-owned for a bargain. Glad they're working on it.

Last edited:
1 gift from KUON New

GiftBot

Official Giveaway Bot
Verified
Mar 7, 2018

Giveaway

Restrictions:
Hello, I am bot! I come bearing 1 gift from KUON KUON!

This is a lightning raffle that will expire in 1 hour. The winner will be drawn at random! Any prizes leftover after the deadline will become available on a first-come first-serve basis.

KUON said:
Leftover game from the Metroidvania Humble bundle

These are our awesome prizes:

NeoChaos

Oct 28, 2017
NorCal
How's people's experiences with the update for the Deck software that dropped this week? I'm sering some major horror stories, particularly from Decky users, which has me wary of updating right now.

ghibli99

Oct 27, 2017
The preview branch updates the dock too? It's a crapshoot whether my LG C1 displays anything or not. Usually have to disconnect and reconnect the USB-C cable for it to work.

At least it works though. There was a time when my dock seemed to only output 30fps regardless of what I did. Drove me nuts and to this day I have no idea what really fixed it (a complete reflash of my SD didn't do it).

Rahkeesh

Jun 20, 2022
How's people's experiences with the update for the Deck software that dropped this week? I'm sering some major horror stories, particularly from Decky users, which has me wary of updating right now.

Decky is always a shitshow with preview builds. Valve breaks stuff and it takes time to adapt. Choose one or the other IMO.

Tmespe

Oct 27, 2017
The preview branch updates the dock too? It's a crapshoot whether my LG C1 displays anything or not. Usually have to disconnect and reconnect the USB-C cable for it to work.

At least it works though. There was a time when my dock seemed to only output 30fps regardless of what I did. Drove me nuts and to this day I have no idea what really fixed it (a complete reflash of my SD didn't do it).
I've seen reports on the dock being maybe fixed now on reddit.

Rahkeesh

Jun 20, 2022
I was asking about the stable build update, I know not to mess with preview channels.

OK fair enough. Assuming you are using stable SteamOS, Typically I would leave decky itself on whatever their preview/unstable channel is. Usually they are working on supporting the preview builds, so stuff is already supported by the time it hits stable.

TeenageFBI

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I've seen reports on the dock being maybe fixed now on reddit.
Would be nice. I've found the official dock to be VERY unreliable lately. It may decide to output video after connecting the Deck, it may not. The same HDMI cable works fine in other devices, and it even worked with the Valve dock until several months ago. Shrug.

Huey

Oct 27, 2017
I basically got a notification that Game Theme Music and Controllers tools were not working. I uninstalled controller tools, and GTM updated, and i've had no other problems since. I probably have about 8 or 9 plug ins active. I even did a Clonezilla transfer to a new Deck in the interim and still no issues

grmlin

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
Playing my first Yakuza game, like a dragon, from Humble Choice this month, and I'm enjoying it more than I thought I would. Watching cutscenes 90% of the time but the story seems to be good.

Rahkeesh

Jun 20, 2022
Well Preview did finally get VRR working over displayport at least. 2560x1440@120hz SDR working great. Will try an LG later.

reKon

Oct 25, 2017
Thinking of picking up Divinity Original Sin 2 DE for sale here:

slickdeals.net

Divinity: Original Sin 2 Definitive Edition (PC Digital Download) $13.50 & More

Steam has Divinity: Original Sin 2 Definitive Edition (PC Digital Download) on sale for $13.49. Thanks to Deal Hunter dubba-low for finding this deal. Note: A Steam account is required to p ...

Can anyone confirm whether this play well on steam deck (mainly concerning i.e. controls and UI/readability)?

TYRANITARR

Oct 28, 2017
Thinking of picking up Divinity Original Sin 2 DE for sale here:

slickdeals.net

Divinity: Original Sin 2 Definitive Edition (PC Digital Download) $13.50 & More

Steam has Divinity: Original Sin 2 Definitive Edition (PC Digital Download) on sale for $13.49. Thanks to Deal Hunter dubba-low for finding this deal. Note: A Steam account is required to p ...

Can anyone confirm whether this play well on steam deck (mainly concerning i.e. controls and UI/readability)?
I mean I thought it was good on the smaller Switch screen, so id assume it's good here.

Also you get your 2 hour refund policy, so you can buy worry free and just refund it it sucks!

TYRANITARR

Oct 28, 2017
Yeah same, it killed a lot of my decky plugins. And my EA login to play Titanfall 2.

If I could take it back I would, but I suppose this is the life and experience of a Deck owner.

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
Well Preview did finally get VRR working over displayport at least. 2560x1440@120hz SDR working great. Will try an LG later.

Sounds promising! I'm too worried about data loss to update for now, but hopefully my monitor works well too.

Do you have a non-LE OLED Deck? I'm wondering if dark grays look more homogeneous at all, have less of those green artifacts.

MoogleMaestro

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah same, it killed a lot of my decky plugins. And my EA login to play Titanfall 2.

If I could take it back I would, but I suppose this is the life and experience of a Deck owner.

I think decky users probably shouldn't use the preview or experimental branches and let the devs fix compatibility issues. Valve shouldn't have to worry about breaking decky when they update the OS

d-rek

Oct 28, 2017
This Majora's Mask Recompilation release is crazy. It was one of the easiest things I've set up on the Steam Deck. No right stick support like Ship of Harkinian from what I see in the first five minutes but all of the graphics settings and control options are really nice. A randomizer and further mod support look like planned updates from the Github info. I do not understand how it works but I'm not going to question it.

NeoChaos

Oct 28, 2017
NorCal
I think decky users probably shouldn't use the preview or experimental branches and let the devs fix compatibility issues. Valve shouldn't have to worry about breaking decky when they update the OS
As I mentioned before, I was asking about the stable branch of the Deck software, which also got updated this week. I know not to fuck with preview or experimental, especially when running Decky.

Minsc

Oct 28, 2017

All this mess happened on the Stable build though, so I was told.

Which is kinda shit. For Decky. Actually the last few pages have been full of people who've been f'd by Decky more or less.

So I really think Decky will need to address this, I'd say by completely disabling 3rd party plugins until they report themselves verified for the OS build you're running, so if a plugin lapses between OS updates you cannot use it and fuck up your Deck.

To me it's better if plugins stop working until they're confirmed to be safe, then to just have them all explode up your Deck because something switched in the new OS and the plugin breaks the Deck.

Rodney McKay

Oct 26, 2017
This Majora's Mask Recompilation release is crazy. It was one of the easiest things I've set up on the Steam Deck. No right stick support like Ship of Harkinian from what I see in the first five minutes but all of the graphics settings and control options are really nice. A randomizer and further mod support look like planned updates from the Github info. I do not understand how it works but I'm not going to question it.
Oh dang, I didn't know that had come out yet.

I was just finishing up OoT with the SoH mod and had been trying to figure out how I wanted to play Majora's Mask.

I tried to emulate the 3DS version on my Deck, but the hitching made sit unplayable for me. I think it's a shader thing or something, because when I load into any new area, anytime I pan the camera it will stutter like crazy for a moment before it returns to normal.
Edit: With some tinkering I got the stuttering resolved in MM3D, along with the Restoration Mod that fixes some of the questionable changes 3D made to the original. It's only 30fps instead of 90 which is a bummer, but nothing I can't get used to.

Last edited:

Huey

Oct 27, 2017
It's always been that way. And of course valve shouldn't have to worry about Decky, and they never have. The Decky devs have just always reacted when there are issues, like any other third party software - Emudeck etc

Namikaze1

Oct 25, 2017
It broke Decky for me (I'm on stable branch). Ended up uninstalling the day the update went up. But ended up resolving the issue the next day by reinstalling Decky and the plug-ins I'm using.

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
Decided to risk it with the Preview update to 3.6 and after some hitches in the update process, it seems very promising.

- VRR now works on my setup without cutting out (but I do get rapid brightness flicker and waking into VRR is broken)
- Green OLED artifacts on grays are almost gone! Much cleaner than on Switch now.
- If you disable the frame limiter, you can change the refresh rate in unified mode (huge if you're latency sensitive)
- Docked use is more stable overall, my issue of resetting refresh rates is fixed.

These fixes address some of my biggest UX issues. Needless to say, I'm pleased as punch. Great stuff from Valve.

The most prominent issue I'm having right now is that when disconnecting the Deck from the dock, the display won't switch from the monitor to the integrated screen. I need to restart the Deck to get an image again.

Last edited:

FLX-II

Gargantuan Generousness Guaranteed
Oct 28, 2017
Colin McRae:Dirt 2 is by far the best entry in the Dirt series. Still such a good looking game with an amazing feel to the driving, and it just sounds so good as well. Codemasters really peaked with Race Driver:Grid (2008) and this one. What an amazing game to play on your deck. The colors just pop on the OLED.

grmlin

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
Colin McRae:Dirt 2 is by far the best entry in the Dirt series. Still such a good looking game with an amazing feel to the driving, and it just sounds so good as well. Codemasters really peaked with Race Driver:Grid (2008) and this one. What an amazing game to play on your deck. The colors just pop on the OLED.
Oh. I own this lol. No idea if I ever played it