.exe

Oct 25, 2017
With the new software update I wonder if it gives any improvements to emulation?

There is a significant improvement to the Deck OLED specifically when you use unified frame rate management. Disabling the frame limiter (because you want to let the emulator handle that) now does not lock you out of managing your refresh rate anymore. With the frame limiter disabled, the slider will change to refresh rate management, and you can set the refresh rate at 60hz, which is more optimal than 90hz in this use case.

Last edited:

BFIB

Oct 25, 2017
There is a significant improvement to the Deck OLED specifically when you use unified frame rate management. Disabling the frame limiter (because you want to let the emulator handle that) now does not lock you out of managing your refresh rate anymore. With the frame limiter disabled, the slider will change to refresh rate management, and you can set the refresh rate at 60hz, which is more optimal than 90hz in this use case.
Interesting. I wonder if ToTK will run better. I dumped my copy to the Deck, haven't started it though.

Issen

Nov 12, 2017
What's the best way to run non-steam game launchers these days? Looking for a solution to use on both my Deck and Arch laptop. Outside of Steam, I mostly play Ubisoft Connect games and only being able to see and launch them through Ubisoft Connect itself isn't great. Especially since adding the individual games to Steam is very far from straightforward.

HOUSEJoseph

Oct 27, 2017
It feels like every game I play on my Steam Deck works.

I was wondering, is there a list online somewhere that tracks games that don't work, and why? (Anti-cheat, graphically intensive). I feel like the list is going to be quite small compared to what's available on Steam.

Knurek

Oct 26, 2017
It feels like every game I play on my Steam Deck works.

I was wondering, is there a list online somewhere that tracks games that don't work, and why? (Anti-cheat, graphically intensive). I feel like the list is going to be quite small compared to what's available on Steam.
ProtonDB is most likely the closest you'll get.

Primal Sage

Virtually Real
Nov 27, 2017
For some reason the Deck's 40fps cap does not work in Doom 2016. Looks like it's running with a 60fps cap. And yes, Vsync is disabled.

Anyone know how to get the game to obey the SteamOS framerate cap?

Minsc

Oct 28, 2017
For some reason the Deck's 40fps cap does not work in Doom 2016. Looks like it's running with a 60fps cap. And yes, Vsync is disabled.

Anyone know how to get the game to obey the SteamOS framerate cap?

Is there a reason you don't want to just play it at 60fps (or 90fps)? It does that almost at Ultra settings IIRC. Battery life or something?

Huey

Oct 27, 2017
I realize I'm a bit late to the party in this, but I've gotta say: I was ready for the OLED aspects of the upgrade, as most of my screens at home are OLED now (and it's still amazing - currently working through many a shadowy game that were just not really doable on the LCD)… but I definitely wasn't for the 90fps. As someone who plays a lot (mainly?) of older PC games that have lots of overhead, it's almost been the bigger upgrade. I had never been blown away by 120fps modes on my LG CX but there's something about the upgrade here that is really doing it for me, and it works with a ton of games. Just fired up some Doom 3 BFG and my goodness

Once again, Valve giving me something - trackpads, symmetrical thumb sticks high up placement, the deck itself - that I didn't realize I needed. 🙏

Rahkeesh

Jun 20, 2022
Preview build has VRR working on an LG C1 at 1080p/120hz/HDR. There's still some kind of brightness flickering and you have to force RGB full, but otherwise its working, no drops and silky smooth gameplay. Good to see Valve finally making the Dock live up to its advertised features like a year later. Although preview in general still seems pretty crashy so uh, wouldn't jump ship just yet unless you are feeling adventurous.

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
Preview build has VRR working on an LG C1 at 1080p/120hz/HDR. There's still some kind of brightness flickering and you have to force RGB full, but otherwise its working, no drops and silky smooth gameplay. Good to see Valve finally making the Dock live up to its advertised features like a year later. Although preview in general still seems pretty crashy so uh, wouldn't jump ship just yet unless you are feeling adventurous.

When you unplug your Deck from the dock, does display return to the internal screen? For me it stays off until I reboot the device.

Also, the flicker went away for me after switching through different refresh rates with VRR enabled. Probably just a coincidence. I know OLED panels suffer from VRR flicker more than IPS.

Last edited:

Rodney McKay

Oct 26, 2017
Oooh, I always wanted to try these, but I'm pretty sure the louder clickiness of them would irritate me (or more likely my partner) over time.

I had some old Razer controllers for my 360 (the Orza and the Sabertooth I think) that had clicky face buttons and I loved the feel of them.

I'm not sure if it's possible, but I'd love to have that mouse click type feel for the buttons, but not have the noise that comes with them. I know custom keyboard keys can have quieter switches, but I don't know about the tiny size of controller buttons.

Primal Sage

Virtually Real
Nov 27, 2017
I can get a very steady 60fps in Doom Eternal at medium-low, 1280x800.

I haven't tried 2016 on my Deck yet but this feels like something is off.

From all the impressions I have read I was expexting more for sure. Are there any nonos regarding the graphical settings in these games? Vulkan/Opengl, some specific posprocessing that kills the framerate etc? I've tried experimenting but haven't found a sweetspot.

Spacejaws

"This guy are sick" of the One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Scotland
Having an odd problem with Duckstation via Emudeck.

It was working fine, but now when I launch any PS1 game it takes me to Duckstations menu where you can select Game List, Start Game etc

I can launch the game fine this way by browsing to it but it was working a few days ago fine so not sure if a duckstation or rom manager may have broke something. Tried it with a previously working game and a new game added via Steam Rom Manager.

Tried a PS2 game and it still loads right into a game.

Can I just uninstall and reinstall Duckstation via the discover store? Duckstation, Rom Manager and Steam Deck (beta) all had updated lately so I'm not sure where this is getting messed up lol.

Also everytime I parse through Steam Rom Manager it seems to be changing my Steam Deck audio device for some reason. Lose all system audio when going back into game mode. I have to either reboot or manually change it in audio settings on desktop which is odd.

Last edited:

FLX-II

Gargantuan Generousness Guaranteed
Oct 28, 2017
I'm not sure the dust has settled, I've not seen any Decky or plugin updates over the last week or so.

deadfolk
I am using SteamOS 3.6 Preview and I don't have any issues. However, in the settings of Decky im using the Prerelease Update Channel.

Might be different for others, but I'm not having any issues.
My plugins are:
Animation Changer
CSS Loader
Free Loader
ProtonDB Badges
SteamGridDB
Powertools
Emudecky
MangoPeel
DeckSettings and AutoFlatPaks.

The only plugin that does not work is DeckSettings, and it doesn't cause any issues. Everything else works just as good as usual.

Last edited:

Leeway

Oct 25, 2017
Vancouver, BC
I took a gamble and updated my oled deck with decky installed (stable), and everything seems just fine. If it helps other decky users, these are the plugins I had installed:

- PowerTools
- SteamGridDB
- Storage Cleaner
- Volume Boost
- ProtonDB Badges
- Emudecky

I uninstalled Reshadeck prior to updating as I've seen a few reported cases of that causing issues. So far everything seems to be smooth, but I'll report if anything changes.

Last edited:

NeoChaos

Oct 28, 2017
NorCal
Yeah, I jumped in with SteamOS and Decky both set to their stable channels and so far no issues.

My Decky plugins for reference:
SteamGridDB
Syncthing
EmuDeck
Tab Master
AutoFlatpacks

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
Well, this was a fun lesson.

Some games you have installed on your SD card put the compatdata folder (with saved games) on the SD card. Of course. Some store it on your internal storage anyway. Huh?

A great way to lose your saved games when you re-image, in other words. Why on earth does it work so unpredictably and unintuitively?

BFIB

Oct 25, 2017

Some games you have installed on your SD card put the compatdata folder (with saved games) on the SD card. Of course. Some store it on your internal storage anyway. Huh?

A great way to lose your saved games when you re-image, in other words. Why on earth does it work so unpredictably and unintuitively?
I learned that the hard way too. I use my internal storage for my steam games and SD card for emulation.

Rahkeesh

Jun 20, 2022
When you unplug your Deck from the dock, does display return to the internal screen? For me it stays off until I reboot the device.

Also, the flicker went away for me after switching through different refresh rates with VRR enabled. Probably just a coincidence. I know OLED panels suffer from VRR flicker more than IPS.

I get the flicker with VRR off and did before this update, its not a VRR issue. Also no problems using VRR from my windows PC to LG. And I really shouldn't have to switch off of 120hz if that is the problem. I think its more some HDR issue because I didnt see it in SDR.

nded

Nov 14, 2017
From all the impressions I have read I was expexting more for sure. Are there any nonos regarding the graphical settings in these games? Vulkan/Opengl, some specific posprocessing that kills the framerate etc? I've tried experimenting but haven't found a sweetspot.
You'll want to set the renderer to Vulkan. For some reason Doom 2016 defaults to OpenGL which isn't as performant, at least on Steam Deck. Should be 60fps on the medium preset; I think there were a couple of settings in particular that would tank fps on higher presets but I can't recall specifically.

Last edited:

aarstar

Oct 29, 2017
For me, some Decky plugins cause the display to load a few times before launching a game (like partially performing the loading animation and reloading). Narrowed it down to ProtonDB, HLTB, Moon Deck, and CSS Loader. Smooth transition to loading without them. Didn't do extensive testing.

Wigsy

Apr 5, 2022
For me, some Decky plugins cause the display to load a few times before launching a game (like partially performing the loading animation and reloading). Narrowed it down to ProtonDB, HLTB, Moon Deck, and CSS Loader. Smooth transition to loading without them. Didn't do extensive testing.

I use ProtonDB and HLTB and haven't had issues. I imagine it'll be CSS Loader and unloading its config maybe.

aarstar

Oct 29, 2017
I'm pretty sure I tried proton db and HLTB without css loader and still had problems. Will check later today.

Spacejaws

"This guy are sick" of the One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Scotland
Having an odd problem with Duckstation via Emudeck.

It was working fine, but now when I launch any PS1 game it takes me to Duckstations menu where you can select Game List, Start Game etc

I can launch the game fine this way by browsing to it but it was working a few days ago fine so not sure if a duckstation or rom manager may have broke something. Tried it with a previously working game and a new game added via Steam Rom Manager.

Tried a PS2 game and it still loads right into a game.

Can I just uninstall and reinstall Duckstation via the discover store? Duckstation, Rom Manager and Steam Deck (beta) all had updated lately so I'm not sure where this is getting messed up lol.

Also everytime I parse through Steam Rom Manager it seems to be changing my Steam Deck audio device for some reason. Lose all system audio when going back into game mode. I have to either reboot or manually change it in audio settings on desktop which is odd.
If anyone has similar issues I fixed it by loading up Emudeck in Desktop mode and using the option to update the emulators there.

Regarding the sound it looks like the SOF Vangough profile keeps disappearing. I can bring it back by playing some audio, clicking the audio icon in the lower right to bring up the audio volume menu, selecting the hamburger next to Speaker (ACP/ACP3X/ACP6x Audio Compressor Speaker) and selecting the SOF Vangough profile here.

Additionally had to reinstall Steam Rom Manager as trying to launch it now woukd tell me it couldn't be found. Bunch of odd weirdness for me. This is from going to the Main update channel but I started having odd issues, games that did work just not running anymore, Steam games hanging on compiling, few games doing boot loops.

Went back to Beta and not sure if something went a bit odd here.

deadfolk

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not sure the dust has settled…
lol.
I might hold off a few days until I have time to do it without rushing and then uninstall any plugins I'm unsure of before upgrading. I don't have it in me to troubleshoot if it goes wrong right now, with my newly returned from RMA LCD unit being bricked again. Luckily, I still have my OLED.

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
I get the flicker with VRR off and did before this update, its not a VRR issue. Also no problems using VRR from my windows PC to LG. And I really shouldn't have to switch off of 120hz if that is the problem. I think its more some HDR issue because I didnt see it in SDR.

Another question, if you unplug your Deck from your dock when it's displaying stuff on the TV, does Deck's internal screen get a picture again? Mine stays off on 3.6 and I need to restart the Deck for its screen to work again.

Primal Sage

Virtually Real
Nov 27, 2017
You'll want to set the renderer to Vulkan. For some reason Doom 2016 defaults to OpenGL which isn't as performant, at least on Steam Deck. Should be 60fps on the medium preset; I think there were a couple of settings in particular that would tank fps on higher presets but I can't recall specifically.

Weird. That's exactly what I tried yesterday. Vulkan, Medium, 960x540 with FSR and still the framerate went below 30fps when I went outside. Totally fine indoors for the most part.

Huey

Oct 27, 2017
lol.
I might hold off a few days until I have time to do it without rushing and then uninstall any plugins I'm unsure of before upgrading. I don't have it in me to troubleshoot if it goes wrong right now, with my newly returned from RMA LCD unit being bricked again. Luckily, I still have my OLED.
My Decky is working fine:

CSS Loader
Steamgriddb
PowerTools
Bluetooth
Storage manager
ProtonDB badges
Game theme music

I uninstalled controller tools cuz it was giving errors, but it might be fixed at this point.

nded

Nov 14, 2017
Weird. That's exactly what I tried yesterday. Vulkan, Medium, 960x540 with FSR and still the framerate went below 30fps when I went outside. Totally fine indoors for the most part.
Are you using FXAA or SMAA by any chance? I think all antialiasing options except None and TAA/TSSAA are busted and will cause the game to perform terribly for no apparent reason.

nded

Nov 14, 2017
I used TAA. I will try turning AA off completely.
Definitely strange. I downloaded the game to test and I'm getting mostly 60fps with the occasional drop to 50fps at 1280x800/high preset. Only thing I can think of is to double check TDP or GPU settings.
LNaFfvJ.jpeg

Ingueferroque

Dec 26, 2023
New York, NY

I create a collection in my library for all games that don't support Steam Cloud saves, so I don't forget. We need an official way to filter or label these. Any game that doesn't support cloud saves should have a little cloud icon with a line through it in the library.

So this would definitely fix the sticky B button which I still suffer from, right?

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
I create a collection in my library for all games that don't support Steam Cloud saves, so I don't forget. We need an official way to filter or label these. Any game that doesn't support cloud saves should have a little cloud icon with a line through it in the library.

That's a great idea. I'm gonna do that as well.
I was surprised you can't actually filter by that feature in your library.

aarstar

Oct 29, 2017
I'm pretty sure I tried proton db and HLTB without css loader and still had problems. Will check later today.

Not to belabor the point since these Decky plugins may be updated at some point, but ProtonDB Badges, HLTB, and Moon Deck definitely cause the flickering/re-loading issue for me when starting a game. After further testing, CSS Loader works fine and has no issues when it is enabled without these other plugins.