• Revamp OP

Votes: 26 23.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Miker

Oct 25, 2017
The collections window... My mortal enemy. The way it works, both on desktop and big picture/Deck, is so inefficient and it really bothers me that there's no option to disable it.

Dynamically loading previews of 9 box arts, applying visual effects over them and multiplying that for every collection you've got so that it needlessly taxes your resources as much as possible -- to what end? It doesn't even make collections more legible, because it's just an indistinct bunch of box arts. I generally like Steam's interface, but this is truly baffling.

And while I'm at it, I die a little on the inside whenever I need to go to the storage management screen.

It's so bad when you tab over and it drops all the frames. The Steam Deck interface is laggy as is, just gimme some normal ass jay pegs.

Huey

Oct 27, 2017
Seems like EA specifically went out of their way to block EA Sports WRC on steam deck. Via reddit:

2ao4cfpfjixb1.png

Given reports I don't think it would run well and it's apparently bypassable but I've never seen a game actually do that before

Last edited:

disparate

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Seems like EA specifically went out of their way to block EA Sports WRC on steam deck. Via reddit:

Given reports I don't think it would run well and it's apparently bypassable but I've never seen a game actually do that before
Bungie outright bans you if you attempt to run on Steam OS iirc.

Rodney McKay

Oct 26, 2017

2ao4cfpfjixb1.png

On the Heroic Launcher, there are a few games that are just grayed out on EGS. I forget the exact reason, but they basically say "not allowed or not able to play on Deck". It doesn't even let you try downloading them.

Star Wars Battlefront 2, Squadrons, and Sims 4 if I remember right.
I'm curious if I downloaded EGS manually that I could download them that way, I just don't get why they're not allowed.

Battlefront 2 and Squadron both have single player modes, so it doesn't even seem like just an anti-cheat issue, and I'm pretty sure Sims 4 works fine through Steam.

Abaddon

Oct 25, 2017
On the Heroic Launcher, there are a few games that are just grayed out on EGS. I forget the exact reason, but they basically say "not allowed or not able to play on Deck". It doesn't even let you try downloading them.

Star Wars Battlefront 2, Squadrons, and Sims 4 if I remember right.
I'm curious if I downloaded EGS manually that I could download them that way, I just don't get why they're not allowed.

Battlefront 2 and Squadron both have single player modes, so it doesn't even seem like just an anti-cheat issue, and I'm pretty sure Sims 4 works fine through Steam.
Those 3 are all EA games that run through the EA launcher on Epic. I've not looked into it, but I imagine the issue is due to Heroic not being able to pass through a secondary launcher - I believe it's the same deal for Ubisoft games too.

Alvis

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
If I want to play a multi-disc GameCube game like Twin Snakes via EmuDeck how does that work?

Rodney McKay

Oct 26, 2017
Those 3 are all EA games that run through the EA launcher on Epic. I've not looked into it, but I imagine the issue is due to Heroic not being able to pass through a secondary launcher - I believe it's the same deal for Ubisoft games too.
Gotcha, that makes sense.

I would love it if Heroic Launcher eventually got updated with Origin and Ubisoft launchers. I've gotten both of them to work on their own, but it would be nice to have them all in the Heroic launcher just to make it easier.

chrominance

Sky Van Gogh
Oct 25, 2017
Some new findings on the Yakuza 5 front again... One day, that cutscene audio bug will be figured out. Maybe.

The recent investigation findings are kind of amazing to me, a person who doesn't know anything about Wine or Linux. I didn't even know there was a function that attempts to convert/hash a filename into a DOS equivalent. Hopefully this results in something.

Wonder if it might explain why the bug doesn't appear in the other Yakuza remasters; just dumb luck that the filename hashes didn't conflict. lol

MiTYH

Oct 25, 2017
Can someone give me a better explanation of the shader pre-caching update? Like do they get overwritten or ever deleted?

I feel like every time I boot the deck it's doing something. Just now marvel midnight suns is downloading a 1.5gb file. Cult of the lamb was 187mb

TwisTz

Oct 27, 2017
I'm in Australia and can't get the official Steam Deck dock as prices are $$$

Which third party dock is recommended?

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I finally got around to getting Windows installed so I could use Game Pass on this thing, but once I tried a game or two on it, they both keep freezing up every few seconds, not sure what to do lol

russbus64

May 1, 2018

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
The recent investigation findings are kind of amazing to me, a person who doesn't know anything about Wine or Linux. I didn't even know there was a function that attempts to convert/hash a filename into a DOS equivalent. Hopefully this results in something.

Wonder if it might explain why the bug doesn't appear in the other Yakuza remasters; just dumb luck that the filename hashes didn't conflict. lol

It's way beyond my level of understanding, but hopefully it leads to a fix! There's (apparently) also an issue that Shinada gets stuck in his baseball outfit at some point, which is mentioned on that page and several times on ProtonDB as well. Perhaps it stems from a similar coding peculiarity.

JakeNoseIt

Catch My Drift
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Hey pals, is there any kind of simple solution for when a game on Steam doesn't have "Cloud Saves," as a listed feature? Booted something up recently and was surprised to see my save data didn't carry over automatically on Deck like it does with everything else.

Oct 25, 2017
Hey pals, is there any kind of simple solution for when a game on Steam doesn't have "Cloud Saves," as a listed feature? Booted something up recently and was surprised to see my save data didn't carry over automatically on Deck like it does with everything else.
I use Syncthing for this. Basically you designate a folder on your desktop and a folder on your Deck and say "keep these identical". Has worked great for emulator saves.

'3y Kingdom

Oct 27, 2017
Will emudeck recognize the .m3u playlist?
If it doesn't, just add .m3u as a supported file extension to the GameCube glob parser in Steam Rom Manager. I might have had to do that. Definitely worth it, though, and very easy to do.

That's assuming you're importing games individually through Steam Rom Manager. If using ES-DE, the .m3u should also work, but I don't have experience with that.

JakeNoseIt

Catch My Drift
Verified
Oct 27, 2017

Huey

Oct 27, 2017
Oct 25, 2017
Ah thanks folks! Unfortunately it's for an unreleased, embargoed game so I guess I gotta wait it out lmao
You can probably figure it out with process of elimination. It's generally one of like three spots, just look up other game locations.

Also, regarding Syncthing, make sure you install it as a startup process (there are guides online) on the Deck so it's always running in the background. On desktop I have to launch it every time I want to sync the save, although there's probably a way to make it run all the time in the background.

Update: found the save! Bless ya'll
Nice!

EJS

The Fallen
The Fallen
Oct 31, 2017
Is Starfield any better on Deck? I see that CryoUtil2 makes the game run with a tolerable frame rate.

1 gift from SirCheese

GiftBot

Official Giveaway Bot
Verified
Mar 7, 2018

Giveaway

Restrictions:
Hello, I am bot! I come bearing 1 gift from SirCheese SirCheese!

This is a raffle that will expire in 12 hours. The winner will be drawn at random! Any prizes leftover after the deadline will become available on a first-come first-serve basis.

These are our awesome prizes:

• Steam Steam: Spiritfarer: Farewell Edition - Won by Sword Familiar Sword Familiar (16 entries)

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
So it looks like a solution has indeed been found for Yakuza 5's issues, but the fix needs to be implemented in Proton (Wine?). I wonder what the timeline for that will be. We're so close to greatness!

Mivey

Oct 25, 2017
This is so exciting!

It looks like there's a PR open to Wine already: https://gitlab.winehq.org/wine/wine/-/merge_requests/4244
Don't think this will get merged anytime soon. Changing the hash function will break stuff in wine so it would need some messy work around to keep the old hash function around for some things and it will likely cause lots of issues for other things. Maybe a Proton specific fix for the Yakuza games makes more sense, like loading a different DLL by default

deadfolk

Oct 25, 2017
Just got Microsoft's xCloud service going on my deck. It's a bit of a process but it's cool being able to jump between my gamepass games on the X and the Deck.

Here's the link to anyone interested

Xbox Cloud Gaming in Microsoft Edge with Steam Deck - Microsoft Support

How to set up Xbox Cloud Gaming on a Steam Deck device using the Microsoft Edge browser.
Fwiw, you can now also play a lot of PC gamepass games via GeForce Now. I tried it briefly with Starfield on Deck and it was both a better streaming experience and better by way of running on a 4080 instead of an Xbox.

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
Don't think this will get merged anytime soon. Changing the hash function will break stuff in wine so it would need some messy work around to keep the old hash function around for some things and it will likely cause lots of issues for other things. Maybe a Proton specific fix for the Yakuza games makes more sense, like loading a different DLL by default

I had a feeling those comments in the Wine merge request weren't good. I'm glad the cause of the issue is identified though. That's some progress at least after a long time of it being in stasis.

Vin-yl

Jan 13, 2023
For the King 2 releases today! Excited to play it with my partner.

Also grabbed the Amid Evil DLC as it was still on sale.

RoboMagik

Mar 6, 2023
Started playthrough of Phantom Liberty this time with street kid V, played for a month on desktop exclusivelly for a first time since gettting SD but now I'm back to comfy playing on couch with SD, though it is struggling to hold 30 FPS in Dogtown unfortunately without FSR, which looks abysmal on Deck.

deadfolk

Oct 25, 2017
Started playthrough of Phantom Liberty this time with street kid V, played for a month on desktop exclusivelly for a first time since gettting SD but now I'm back to comfy playing on couch with SD, though it is struggling to hold 30 FPS in Dogtown unfortunately without FSR, which looks abysmal on Deck.
I'm actually planning to start my first, for real playthrough soon. Will probably do it via GeForce Now - it looks insane on the tiny Deck screen that way.

Huey

Oct 27, 2017
Radiant Silvergun just (finally) released on Steam after being delayed indefinitely from it's initial August 18 release. Works great out of the box on Deck. Classic lo res look vs. high res, 60fps, but looks like no 16:10 support (that I saw on my quick boot up anyway). Classic display format gives you a bit of a wider screen though. + Cloud support. Looks like it's locked to 720p, hopefully that either gets patched or modded soon, though it doesn't matter too much for the deck experience.

Amazing to have it officially on Steam.

528CBBDACCE4ED18BF4284F23D05EF8DA4851AB8

View: https://store.steampowered.com/app/2450820/Radiant_Silvergun/

Last edited:

Curt Baboon

Avenger
Mar 13, 2018
Seems like Baldur's Gate 3 now has FSR2 on the Deck. I haven't tested it yet but I'm super excited to get back to it after I shelved it for a bit waiting for improvements during Act 2.

Serif

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
FSR 2 on Witcher 3, even at Ultra Performance, has been really really good for me. Whatever artifacts there are, I'd have to squint to see on the screen. Worth it for the locked 40 FPS.

And on a 4K TV with FSR 2 at 1080p, 40 FPS VRR, HDR... looks great. Living room distance prevents scrutiny of any loss of detail, so I'm basically getting what I consider to be a more than decent console experience.

Maybe I'll finally buy Baldur's Gate now.

Dinjoralo

Oct 25, 2017
Seems like Baldur's Gate 3 now has FSR2 on the Deck. I haven't tested it yet but I'm super excited to get back to it after I shelved it for a bit waiting for improvements during Act 2.
Really? I didn't see it in the recent patch notes...
EDIT: Seen some people mention this is now a thing, yeah. Also on PCs that aren't the Steam Deck. Seems like an odd thing to forget to mention

Last edited:

Condwiramurs

Nov 10, 2020
FSR 2 on Witcher 3, even at Ultra Performance, has been really really good for me. Whatever artifacts there are, I'd have to squint to see on the screen. Worth it for the locked 40 FPS.

And on a 4K TV with FSR 2 at 1080p, 40 FPS VRR, HDR... looks great. Living room distance prevents scrutiny of any loss of detail, so I'm basically getting what I consider to be a more than decent console experience.

Maybe I'll finally buy Baldur's Gate now.
hows your experience been with HDR?

Oct 25, 2017
Still hate how the steam deck is confused as hell about its battery life if you don't play it for a few days. Could show 86%. You play for a few mins and it shuts down. You plug it in. It's actually 1%.

Status
Not open for further replies.