• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

kevin1025

Oct 25, 2017
Out of Wolfenstein II: New Colossus, Evil Within 2, and Shadow of War, which is the more enjoyable time?

J_Viper

Oct 25, 2017
Tempted to pick up Assassin's Creed Origins, but even with all the good stuff I've heard about it I think I might prefer to skip it (until it's a lot cheaper) and get AC:Odyssey first.

Was a big fan of the bait stuff from AC:4, and the added dialog system stuff seems cool. I feel like if I get Origins I might burn out on it before Odyssey comes out...
Origins has a great world and protagonist, but you're really not missing much by skipping out

The combat never rises above decent, the gameplay grows tiring by the halfway point, most of the side-quests are dull, and the narrative is a complete mess

Also, the PC port is trash

Out of Wolfenstein II: New Colossus, Evil Within 2, and Shadow of War, which is the more enjoyable time?
TEW2 by a massive margin

okayfrog

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Day One Buys: Ikaruga, Night Trap, Firewatch, Okhlos: Omega, Virginia, Deus Ex: Mankind Divided, Lara Croft GO, RE4, Total Annihilation

All for under $35. Can't wait to look at these games over the next thirty years like, "I should play these sometime..."

Thinkin' about AssCreed: Origins - Hidden Ones as it's $5. I heard Curse of the Pharaohs is much better, but I wanna play both, and I feel like I can wait and pick that up when it's cheaper than $10.

Neto

Oct 27, 2017
Brazil
I suspect the answer for my question will be "no", but I'll ask anyway: is there a FPS game on Steam with a single-player campaign as good and fun to play as Doom (2016)? Or at least something close to it? The only one I can think of is Bulletstorm, but — although it's good — it ins't at the same level.

rgibbo36

Oct 27, 2017
I don't think I've bought anything from the last few major sales, but I'm thinking of picking up a few things this time around. I might give Minit a try. I'll definitely have to check out the hidden gems thread.

Rodney McKay

Oct 26, 2017
Origins has a great world and protagonist, but you're really not missing much by skipping out

The combat never rises above decent, the gameplay grows tiring by the halfway point, most of the side-quests are dull, and the narrative is a complete mess

Also, the PC port is trash
Yeah, as much as I always wanted an AC game set in Egypt, for some reason Odyssey seems to be appealing to me even more.

I think I'll hold off and get that one. Should have improvements over Origins.

Weird to hear the PC port is bad, seems like that had mostly been ironed out by now.

texhnolyze

Shinra Employee
Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
I remember looking forward to Seven back then, but the lukewarm reception pushed me away from getting it day one.

How's the general concensus now?

Nymphae

Apr 3, 2018
I'm never quite sure how these work. In previous years I remember sale prices for individual games varying quite a bit day to day, is that still a thing?

J_Viper

Oct 25, 2017
Assassin's Creed Rogue or Syndicate? I'm looking for a more classic Assassin's Creed game after Origins.
Syndicate by far, though I can't speak for the quality of its port. Come to think of it, has there ever been a good AC PC port?

Rogue is worth checking out, since it's AC4 with the stealth garbage cut out, but it is mechanically rough nowadays, and even maxed out it doesn't look too hot.

linnus

Oct 25, 2017
Any good online coop/pve multiplayer games? Something with matchmaking to play with randoms.

And some platform games like Rayman Legends? (already got - and loved - Celeste)

Kyle Cross

Oct 25, 2017
So, I just ended up rebuying a bunch of games I bought on console day one for full price and had backlogged lol. Devil May Cry 4 SE, Quantum Break, Bayonetta, and Mad Max.

Was going to pick up The Evil Within 2 because I have it on PS4 Pro but backlogged as well so figured "Might as well play the version that can go 4k." just like the other games mentioned, however I always check PCGamingWiki before buying a PC game and that prompted me to do some research and ultimately download the demo. God, this game performs terribly on PC! Even using all the tricks (RTSS, Pre-rendered Frames, various forms of Vsync) won't give me a locked 30fps on ANY graphical settings at 4k.

rezn0r

Oct 25, 2017
Picked up What Remains of Edith Finch. No clue how far in I am, but this has got to be the most original, interesting "walking sim" I've ever played. Sorry Life is Strange, you've been surpassed one hundred fold. Telltale shod be triple ashamed.

Edit: I made it seem like Telltale made life is strange, but meant both dontnod and telltale should be scared.

I went into it blind a few months ago and couldn't put it down (not that it's very long), it ended up being one of my favorite games I've played in a very long time...

madspooky

Oct 28, 2017
Fort Kent, ME
I suspect the answer for my question will be "no", but I'll ask anyway: is there a FPS game on Steam with a single-player campaign as good and fun to play as Doom (2016)? Or at least something close to it? The only one I can think of is Bulletstorm, but — although it's good — it ins't at the same level.

Have you tried Dishonored?

BasilZero

Oct 25, 2017
Omni
I don't remember Square Enix ever giving more than 50% off for their Final Fantasy titles. 50% is all we've got.

I've purchased FFIII, IV, V and VI for 66% off on the SE store. They did it during their anniversary sale few years back.

Edit: Here's the stat for FFVI on Steam - they discounted it for up to 70% as the max but that was back in 2016.

You will see similar stats for FFV too.

Credited to : Isthereanydeal

rcLMq5A.jpg

Jerykk

Banned
Dec 26, 2017

Shadow Warrior 2 was great. The gunplay isn't quite as perfect as Doom's but the traversal and melee stuff is a ton of fun.

I remember looking forward to Seven back then, but the lukewarm reception pushed me away from getting it day one.

How's the general concensus now?

Haven't played it myself yet but it seems like they've fixed most of the issues (bugs and jank) that the game had at launch.

ThankDougie

Banned
Nov 12, 2017
Buffalo
How are the Enhanced Edition versions of Baldur's Gate, Icewind Dale, and Planescape Torment?

Brilliant. You can sort of Enhance some of them on your own with mods, but if they're on sale, grab them and enjoy. Icewind Dale is especially brilliant if you like dungeon crawling hack 'n' slash. The story is a bit slim, but the combat is outstanding. A good combination of quick brawling and strategic positioning + proper use of spells.

Uthred

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Really tempted to move a lot of ubisoft games and gta 5 to steam so i can have all of my games in one gaming space (except annoying ass EA Origin). And the auto updating seems way more convenient than rockstar/ubiplay.

I've got some bad news for you on the Uplay front. Steam just launches it and then you launch the game from within it I'm afraid.

J_Viper

Oct 25, 2017

Shadow Warrior 2 was great. The gunplay isn't quite as perfect as Doom's but the traversal and melee stuff is a ton of fun.

I second Shadow Warrior 2. It's packed with content and weapon variety as well.

Just do yourself a favor and skip all the cut-scenes

texhnolyze

Shinra Employee
Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
I've purchased FFIII, IV, V and VI for 66% off on the SE store. They did it during their anniversary sale few years back.

Edit: Here's the stat for FFVI on Steam - they discounted it for up to 70% as the max but that was back in 2016.

You will see similar stats for FFV too.

rcLMq5A.jpg
I see. I think it depends on the game. FF VI is more like an exception than rule.

I never see newer games and remasters discounted more than 50%, even games like VII and VIII have always been at 50%.
https://store.steampowered.com/search/?developer=Square Enix

Oct 26, 2017
Sorry, because I'm sure this is asked all the time time....How is the steam controller nowadays? Mostly concerned about how well the cursor part of it feels/controls.

BasilZero

Oct 25, 2017
Omni
I see. I think it depends on the game. FF VI is more like an exception than rule.

I never see newer games and remasters discounted more than 50%, even games like VII and VIII have always been at 50%.
https://store.steampowered.com/search/?developer=Square Enix

Well ya , nowadays we probably wont see it happening anytime soon or if ever lol - I guess they are content with the price its going on for now.

Anyways, the Steam store is the worst place to shop for FF games when the SE store, GreenManGaming, Amazon, Gamestop and NewEgg had offered better prices.

Edit: There was this one instance where FFX/X-2 HD remaster and Type-0 were discounted to $10 on the SE store but that was a price error :P - kinda regret not buying Type-0 for that price, thankfully was able to get FFX/X-2 HD for around that price on GMG.

Eraser_Arcade

Oct 25, 2017
I loved it, but I'm a bit of an AC fanboy... however this will sound weird - I can't really remember anything that happened in it. Did you play AC4: Black Flag? It's basically a side-story to that, not really related to Rogue... so I'd say play Black Flag first if you need to pick between that and Freedom Cry.

I was really surprised at Rogue when i finally got around to playing it. I thought it was excellent and felt bad it seemed to get lost being on the last-gen consoles. At least now it has had its PC port & remasters, etc. If you did play 4 and liked it, you'd most likely love Rogue, it's the same mix of AC & naval stuff, just in a northern setting.

Edit: Just a heads up, if you do in fact have AC4: Black Flag, Freedom Cry as a DLC to that (instead of standalone) is a few bucks cheaper.

Yeah, I've already played & beaten AC4: Black Flag late last year. I remember really enjoying it, though I didn't 100% complete it (which I never do for any AC game, except for the first one weirdly enough). Do you think I would miss out on much (story or gameplay wise) if I skip over Freedom Cry for Rogue?

Also I did knew about Freedom Cry DLC being cheaper, but I'm curious if there is any differences between it and the standalone version?

Can someone recommend anything that will cure an itch for Rogue Legacy style gameplay? I don't just want the roguelike part, I want the permanent progression aspect as well. I know a ton of games with the first but not as many with the second.

While I haven't play it myself yet, I believe Everspace has permanent progression aspects.

Leandras

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Got FF12 so far since I really loved the hell out of my old PS2 version. Keen on getting Skyrim SE for the expansions which I dont own for the base game but isnt the modding support for it kind of a mess?

Still cant justify paying the local equivalent on $10 per FF game from the nintendo era.

Hella

Oct 27, 2017
Is Total War: Warhammer a good entry point to both Total War and Warhammer (especially lore-wise) series?
Total Warhammer is the best entry into Total War IMO, and in terms of Warhammer lore it doesn't really matter. There's no story per se, it's an open-ended campaign based in the Warhammer universe. There is little-to-no story, just objectives and events. All the information you'll need will be there, in-game.

But if you want to read the story of the Total Warhammer games... I invite you to read The End Times entry on the Warhammer Fantasy wiki. It covers what is essentially the timeline of the games, as I understand it, and goes over every faction's role in the final battle, which is what Total Warhammer is all about. Read up on any person, faction, or event you'd like, there's a lot of lore to soak up with varying degrees of depth. Set aside several hours to get through it all--it's a lot.

Now, both Total Warhammer 1 or 2 are a good entry point, however I'd recommend getting both to gain access to the Mortal Empires campaign in Total Warhammer 2--it's essentially both games combined and it's great. But either way, don't worry about the DLCs until you sink your teeth into the main game.

Also, feel free to join the Total Warhammer OT if you end up digging them.

rezn0r

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, I've already played & beaten AC4: Black Flag late last year. I remember really enjoying it, though I didn't 100% complete it (which I never do for any AC game, except for the first one weirdly enough). Do you think I would miss out on much (story or gameplay wise) if I skip over Freedom Cry for Rogue?

Also I did knew about Freedom Cry DLC being cheaper, but I'm curious if there is any differences between it and the standalone version?

Nope no difference between standalone & DLC version. If you had to pick between those, I'd say go for Rogue definitely. It has some cool stuff to add to the overall AC story (if that's still considered a thing at this point) while Freedom Cry felt like cut content/side missions for Black Flag. Rogue was more like "more Black Flag" - which is a good thing. Plus you'd have way more content in Rogue than Freedom Cry.

Looks right to me. Well done!

catpurrcat

Oct 27, 2017
Picked up FFX/X-2 HD Remaster. Had the PS4 version but it seems the PC version has 2x or 4x battle speed up toggle and of course PC graphics customizable.

Hope it's good.

Uthred

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Anybody have any thoughts on Tokyo Xanadu eX+? I'm a big fan of the Legend of Heroes series but don't know much about Falcom's other stuff

Burt

Fight Sephiroth or end video games
Oct 28, 2017
Is Total War: Warhammer a good entry point to both Total War and Warhammer (especially lore-wise) series?
Yeah, I hadn't played a Total War game before Total Warhammer, and I loved it. It isn't particularly lore-heavy either but it does give the basic world structure and key figures, which might actually make it a better entry point than any other Warhammer game contemporaries. For instance, something like Vermintide 2 - while being an extremely excellent game - sort of throws you willy-nilly into the minutiae of the End Times experience. Total Warhammer is a much more accommodating broad baseline of the world.

It's a really well done game. I think that if you're the type of person who sees the faction dividing lines on the overworld and ownership markers over cities and the multitude teeny-tiny units on the battlefield and thinks "Hmm, that might be interesting", it'd be pretty darn hard to be disappointed with it.

Oh no, you did good

because I didn't know Mad Max was $5 and that's pretty much the exact price point for me to look at it and go "Hmm...."

But yeah, good luck wrapping those up before the next sale :P

Eraser_Arcade

Oct 25, 2017
Nope no difference between standalone & DLC version. If you had to pick between those, I'd say go for Rogue definitely. It has some cool stuff to add to the overall AC story (if that's still considered a thing at this point) while Freedom Cry felt like cut content/side missions for Black Flag. Rogue was more like "more Black Flag" - which is a good thing. Plus you'd have way more content in Rogue than Freedom Cry.

Thanks. I probably will skip Freedom Cry then, and spend the money for that on another game or DLC.