• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

AshenOne

Feb 21, 2018
Pakistan
Steam's Weekly Global Top 10 Sellers, by revenue, for the week ending July 4th STEAM SUMMER SALE 2021 EDITION:

List Publishing Date: Sun, July 4th, 2021:
  1. Sea Of Thieves - Sea Of Thieves stays at the top remarkably in a discounted 1st week of STEAM Summer Sale 2021 and maintains its ranking from last week!

2. Forza Horizon 4 - The Critically acclaimed racer climbs 2 places to 2nd from 4th from last week!

3. Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice - GOTY Edition - Sekiro drops one place to 3rd from 2nd from last week.

4. PLAYERUNKNOWN'S BATTLEGROUNDS - The modern Battle-Royal progenitor jumps to 4th place from 7th from last week!

5. Forza Horizon 4 - One of the other Editions of FH4 AGAIN charts in the Global Top 10 sellers and climbs to 5th from 9th place from last week!

6. Rust - Jumps to 6th from 8th from last week.

7. Halo: The Master Chief Collection - Drops to 7th from 5th from last week.

8. It Takes Two - It Takes Two jumps two places to 8th from 10th from last week.

9. Red Dead Redemption 2 - RDR2 unsurprisingly re-enters the Global Top 10 weekly sellers at 9th place!

10. Valve Index VR Kit - Not that big of a shock but the usual top ranked VR device from Valve drops to the last place of the weekly rankings..Yep thats the STEAM Summer Sale doing work!
In comparison to this, here's last week(June 27th)'s List:
www.resetera.com

Steam's Weekly Global Top 10 Sellers, by revenue, for the week ending June 27th. #1. Sea of Thieves #2. Sekiro: SDT GOTY #3. Horizon Zero Dawn C.E. Sales

List Publishing Date: Sun, June 27th, 2021: In comparison to this, here's last week(June 20th)'s List: https://www.resetera.com/threads/steams-weekly-global-top-10-sellers-by-revenue-for-the-week-ending-june-20th-1-dead-by-daylight-r-e-chapter-2-g-g-strive-3-valve-index.445418/

Last edited:

CommodoreKong

Oct 25, 2017
Microsoft be feasting on Steam revenue right now. I imagine that money train wont slow down when they start getting more games out like Halo Infinity, Age of Empires 4 and Starfield.

SuikerBrood

Jan 21, 2018
Sea of Thieves is the biggest game Rare has ever made and the biggest new IP for Microsoft in years.

Jan 4, 2018
Happy for Rare, the Pirate of the Caribbean crossover is so damn good.

JxDLjsH.gif

Ales34

Apr 15, 2018
And that's why I don't expect Microsoft to put Gamepass on steam. Steam is a source of great pure sales revenue for them. FH5, Halo, and Starfield are going to do huge numbers on Steam.

TooBusyLookinGud

Graphics Engineer
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
California
I wonder if they are in talks getting GamePass on Steam. Would be the logical next step?
I wouldn't put GP on Steam if I were them, but I'm not in sales and marketing/strategic planning. The current system they have in place seems to be working well. Considering how many users and games Steam has, four SKUs in the top 10 is no small feat.

OP
OP
AshenOne

AshenOne

Feb 21, 2018
Pakistan
I wonder if they are in talks getting GamePass on Steam. Would be the logical next step?
Yeah. Agree there. Iam confident that it'll come sooner or later. Gamepass is mostly everything to Microsoft these days in gaming and the PC versions they keep releasing on PC will definitely make a lot of titles to play on GP when it arrives on STEAM eventually.. and also help it grow on PC substantially as compared to the Windows store which is a big bother to use for a lot of people..even if a new store is on the horizon.. its not reasonable to be optimistic about it imo until it is as as good as we expect it to be..

Pryme

Aug 23, 2018

that might well be the worst business decision made by Xbox since they gave up the COD marketing deal.

Torpedo any chances of the Microsoft store taking off for games, Heavily curtail game sales on Steam and then dramatically increase money paid out to devs for PC Gamepass content in one move.

then also carve out yet another slice of the Gamepass ultimate pie as Valve's cut after giving EA their bit for EA Play.

Madrugador

Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
FH4 sales are impressive considering it's almost a 3 year old game, on Gamepass and going for $30 at Steam.

FH5 is going to be huge.

BobLoblaw

This Guy Helps
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah. Infinite and FH5 are gonna be top 10 on Steam for at least a year after release. I wish we could get comments on actual sales and whether or not they're exceeding expectations.

Nif

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This makes total sense after that thread about game pass hurting game sales.

Oct 25, 2017
This makes total sense after that thread about game pass hurting game sales.
I guess it needs to be mentioned like a billion times that PC is completely different from Xbox due to the MS Store situation (Microsoft's store and delivery method is shit).

When people say that game pass hurts sales, they're referring to Xbox consoles.

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
with these kinda sales, i don't really see the point of game pass on steam. not to mention 3rd parties might not all be happy to have their games on steam as part of game pass, unless they do a separate service just for 1st party games.

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
Sea of Thieves now at over 145k Steam reviews. Must have sold gangbusters. And it didn't even launch on Steam until last year, over two years after its original PC release on Game Pass. Pretty crazy.

RoKKeR

Oct 25, 2017
MS raking in that Steam cash, good lord. And these are "old" games! Have to imagine Halo and FH5 are going to clean up - it also helps that a lot of their bigger games are somewhat ongoing / online / grow and evolve over time, seems to help them maintain momentum on Steam.

TripleBee

Prophet of Truth
Oct 30, 2017
Vancouver
Crazy how dominant Microsoft is on Steam.

Crazier that it's without any of the Bethesda heavy hitters yet, and just the staple Xbox series.

Merc

Jun 10, 2018
Really surprised PUBG still got legs worldwide. Have not heard about that game in awhile.

OP
OP
AshenOne

AshenOne

Feb 21, 2018
Pakistan
Really surprised PUBG still got legs worldwide. Have not heard about that game in awhile.
PUBG is a monster on Mobile and more market penetration than Fortnite in a lot of regions in the world. In the US i'd guess that fortnite is the bigger deal though.. but yeah Mobile and PC are still huge revenue makers for PUBG Corp.

Jaded Alyx

Oct 25, 2017
not to mention 3rd parties might not all be happy to have their games on steam as part of game pass, unless they do a separate service just for 1st party games.
They won't be able to include 3rd party games. Just as how EA Play on Steam has no 3rd party games. Neither EA nor MS have any control over 3rd party games on platforms they don't own. Those 3rd parties have an agreement with Valve and nobody else as far as Steam is concerned.

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
They won't be able to include 3rd party games. Just as how EA Play on Steam has no 3rd party games. Neither EA nor MS have any control over 3rd party games on platforms they don't own. Those 3rd parties have an agreement with Valve and nobody else as far as Steam is concerned.
Thats why i dont see it happening. MS will just keep releasing on Steam day one. And make the MS store mostly about Gamepass.

Bardeh

Jun 15, 2018
It's nuts to me that SoT sells like this constantly when it's available on Game Pass. I'm guessing there's no crossplay between the GP and Steam versions? Would make sense that would drive sales if people are looking to play with their friends.

Jul 26, 2018
Microsoft be feasting on Steam revenue right now. I imagine that money train wont slow down when they start getting more games out like Halo Infinity, Age of Empires 4 and Starfield.
Seriously. In this forum MS is pictured as a company throwing money at their studios as if they were just burning the money. But no, they're actually making them dollars! It's not just buying studios and giving them "freedom" to make whatever fame they want to as if they were buying random studios just to keep Game Pass users busy with random content.

xenonium

Apr 3, 2020
It's nuts to me that SoT sells like this constantly when it's available on Game Pass. I'm guessing there's no crossplay between the GP and Steam versions? Would make sense that would drive sales if people are looking to play with their friends.

There's full cross play and cross save between all versions, including Xbox.

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
There's full crossplay. SoT was half off on the Win10 store when it came out on Steam at full price and it sold like hot cakes on Steam anyway. People just really don't want to use the Win10 store, even for Gamepass, Because its awful.

Prine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
"They're on Gamepass because nobody would buy these games".

Can't ever get tired of these lot getting slapped in the face over and over with cold hard data.

Mass Effect

One Winged Slayer
Oct 31, 2017
Always good to see. It ensures MS games will continue to come to Steam day one.

many PC gamers simply don't want to deal with the Windows Store.

Merc

Jun 10, 2018
PUBG is a monster on Mobile and more market penetration than Fortnite in a lot of regions in the world. In the US i'd guess that fortnite is the bigger deal though.. but yeah Mobile and PC are still huge revenue makers for PUBG Corp.

Agree with everyone. I just feel it lost its momentum in the U.S. I know PUBG has a super large following abroad especially in Asia. Good to see the battle royale market healthy with many options.

Jul 26, 2018
There's full cross play and cross save between all versions, including Xbox.
I do understand where you come from and I do understand being a bit skeptical about it, but no need to look for a "technical" explanation. The market is not just one, there are many people out there with different preferences and budgets. Some prefer a subscription, some prefer to buy the games they play, some do both be subscribed but also buy the game that's in the service, and there probably many more possible and nuanced consumer profiles out there. Yeah, a subscription service and selling games do compete against each other, but they're not mutually exclusive. And depending on the situation, they could be mutually beneficial. Not saying this is the case, but while you assumed that the lack of cross-play could explain by the Steam sales one could argue that cross-play actually helped Steam sales. Game Pass subscribers are more likely to try the game, which helps the game keeping healthy community numbers, and make the game more popular. People that don't Game Pass might buy it on Steam, word of mouth, to jump in and play with either their Game Pass friends or just to try another online game that's doing fine in part cause it's part of a subscription service. Again I'm not saying this is case and take it just as an illustration. And I do understand the skepticism, but some devs have mentioned they're happy so far with the subscription service, some publishers ever tried to have their own, and part of the players seem to be liking the services. And the figures here don't suggest anything in the contrary with two MS first party studio getting the gold and silver medal in Steam this week. It seems to be working!

MrBob

Oct 25, 2017
Didn't Microsoft say gamepass was additive? So to me this means gamepass on Steam should boost sales, even if it is only for first party.

I don't have sea of thieves but from halo and age of empires you basically log into your Xbox account in game and have access to Xbox servers this way.

I'm actually pretty impressed how Xbox account log in works in halo and age of empires on Steam. You basically sign into your Xbox account on log in and that's it. Everything seems to run in the background. There isn't any additional launcher to use. It is very elegant and not intrusive at all.