• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Zomba13

#1 Waluigi Fan! Current Status: Crying
Oct 25, 2017
OH wow.

Why would the default be to hide games you own? Unless the point is to kill Steam Spy? Maybe publishers weren't happy that unofficial sources were able to estimate out fairly accurate sales numbers?

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
That's a shame. We very rarely get any of this data to begin with, big loss.

Wish them the best on whatever they do next.

Deleted member 3038

Oct 25, 2017
OH wow.

Why would the default be to hide games you own? Unless the point is to kill Steam Spy? Maybe publishers weren't happy that unofficial sources were able to estimate out fairly accurate sales numbers?
Better to allow user to pick before showing stuff.

Also, The privacy page is completely borked right now, no one can access it anyways (I don't even see my Games list on my own profile) so It could be possible it was implemented falsely & the true default would've been showing all games.

Argot

Oct 29, 2017
Surreal to see one of the best sources of sales data disappear in an instant.

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Well that's shitty, must be awful reading a press release and realizing that the data that allows you to do your job is going to be gone and there's nothing you can do about it

texhnolyze

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
Well, that was fun while it lasted. RIP.

Better to allow user to pick before showing stuff.

Also, The privacy page is completely borked right now, no one can access it anyways (I don't even see my Games list on my own profile) so It could be possible it was implemented falsely & the true default would've been showing all games.
Yeah, it's not working on my end either.

Are you saying that there's a chance? Cool.

Nzyme32

Oct 28, 2017
This seems extremely odd, considering Valve themselves were recommending to developers to utilise SteamSpy to research and understand the potential markets for their games.

Obviously for users, the additional controls are exactly what folks have asked for. However I hope Valve can provide a solution to allow for services like SteamSpy to continue

cheesekao

Dec 1, 2017
Could this move be related to the recent facebook controversy? Seems like they're trying to cover their bases.

diablos991

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I don't really understand the change on Steam's part.

Some random internet stranger's game collection isn't what I would assume important privacy.

Benji

Self Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Man this fucking blows, but I'm not surprised at all.

I imagine publishers probably weren't super happy with that info being out in public. Which is a damn shame

SweetNicole

The Old Guard
Oct 24, 2017
D9dQr.gif

Ploid 6.0

Oct 25, 2017
I always hide my game list. It's good that valve does it by default for people unaware, too bad this website depended on people's info being visible by default. I wonder if they could buy data by legal means now that this privacy feature is in effect, and if that would have helped them.

SaberVS7

Oct 25, 2017
This seems extremely odd, considering Valve themselves were recommending to developers to utilise SteamSpy to research and understand the potential markets for their games.

The big 3rd Parties of Steam are building their own competitors left and right. Valve is basically at the mercy of them now. And said big 3rd Parties had been issuing takedown notices on SteamSpy's data for years until Sergei finally snapped and decided he wouldn't honor them anymore.

I'm fairly certain that someone big said they'd be pulling out like EA did if Valve didn't kill SteamSpy.

Benji

Self Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This industry's fetish for secrecy is so damn stupid and frustrating sometimes...

Hilariously so. More than any other major industry.

You would think with the modern age we would be past this by now, but nah. This industry still does everything it can to try to keep as much information as possible secret.

Deleted member 3058

User requested account closure
Oct 25, 2017
I don't really understand the change on Steam's part.

Some random internet stranger's game collection isn't what I would assume important privacy.
Couple of things.

Having your game library public by default makes it really easy for script kiddies to target users who have overly large game collections.

Now that steam is home to a bunch of titty animu games it also makes it easier for people to be the subject of embarrassing disclosures of their entertainment choices (e.g. get in an argument with xXx_RalfIzDaManz_xXx, hop on his steam profile, and call him out for owning "How can my aunt be so cute" or whateverthefuck these games are called).

Shengar

Oct 26, 2017
If publishers aren't happy with Steamspy, they can ask them to remove it from the site. Some games actually do this actually, Sergei had said so in the past. With the fact Valve also seems to view Steamspy positively, I doubt this is a move deliberately taken to kill them.

Benji

Self Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If publishers aren't happy with Steamspy, they can ask them to remove it from the site. Some games actually do this actually, Sergei had said so in the past. With the fact Valve also seems to view Steamspy positively, I doubt this is a move deliberately taken to kill them.

He stopped honoring the take down notices.

The major AAA pubs wanted this dead.