• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Nzyme32

Oct 28, 2017
I get the posts talking about market research meaning this change sucks for game developers, but what is the negative impact for the average, non-developer steam user?

None - it's all benefits - people have been nagging for these options for ages in the Steam threads. I don't think people (including myself) were really thinking about what that means for SteamSpy for example.

Deleted member 3038

Oct 25, 2017
Here's the new options for anyone who hasn't been able to open it currently:

VPVSILk.png

EDIT: Note these are the Default Settings.

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
I get the posts talking about market research meaning this change sucks for game developers, but what is the negative impact for the average, non-developer steam user?
The average Steam user could set this info to private.

Would you be in favor of facebook, instagram, twitter, automatically setting everything to private as default?

Whales

"This guy are sick"
Oct 25, 2017
OH wow.

Why would the default be to hide games you own? Unless the point is to kill Steam Spy? Maybe publishers weren't happy that unofficial sources were able to estimate out fairly accurate sales numbers?

stuff being private by default is generally more secure for the user id say

way easier for some dickhead to target an account that has a ton of games just because its public by default

Digoman

Oct 27, 2017
SteamSpy was an incredible useful tool, but on the other hand I think privacy settings should always default to not expose user data...

Valve could have blocked their access to the API long ago, so I don't think publishers pressure was the main reason here.

Deleted member 2171

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't really understand the change on Steam's part.

Some random internet stranger's game collection isn't what I would assume important privacy.

Eh, honestly, not all information for everyone should be public by default. It worked in the early internet to have everything you were doing updated on your webpage/irc poke/whatever, but with the CA weaponization of data scrapes being super public now and the new European Privacy laws, Steam was likely destined to do this either way. Defaulting to all private and consenting to public display makes more sense.

Deleted member 11517

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Sorry first thing I did when I got my Steam account was set games and other things to private, it's completely ridiculous this stuff would be public by default.

I know other services do this too, doesn't make it right though.

Gamers want to get fucked over. They want to be exploited.

To be fair, if that wasn't the case something like Steam or "digital ownership" which is an oxymoron by itself wouldn't exist. Plus it's not just gamers.

Oct 25, 2017
Couldn't you manually hide that info anyway? I don't get why they had to make that the default for everyone.

Privacy should be the default for everyone. Before the days of Facebook, it was, anyway. Philosophical stance that one can disagree with, but it's certainly one I agree with. Especially in this era when people may not always understand the data they might be giving away.

This was a blatant move by Valve to curb SteamSpy due to pressure from AAA publishers. It has nothing to do with privacy.

If Valve wanted to shut off SteamSpy, they could have screwed around with their webpages to mess up whatever page crawling scripts he uses to get the data. Or they could have sent a C&D.

They wouldn't have needed to go through the effort of making an entire user-facing feature with all the additional development (both for now and for the future), support, and testing just to mess up SteamSpy. They had a lot of easier options.

Deleted member 3058

Oct 25, 2017

VPVSILk.png

Ugh. Inventory should be Private by default and comments should be friends only by default.

Still waiting for the settings page to load for me so I can make some changes.

Edit: just worked for me. Inventory was already set to "Private" which was carried over from my old settings.

Weebos

Oct 25, 2017
It's a shame to lose the resource, but those privacy settings should be the default.

texhnolyze

Shinra Employee
Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia

VPVSILk.png

Ugh. Inventory should be Private by default and comments should be friends only by default.

Still waiting for the settings page to load for me so I can make some changes.

I don't think that's the default. Game details and Inventory default on Friends Only, while playtime is unchecked and gifts is checked by default for me. Or maybe it depends on each user's privacy settings before this new change.

Here's mine (haven't changed anything):

signal

Oct 28, 2017
Would you be in favor of facebook, instagram, twitter, automatically setting everything to private as default?
These aren't really the same things, but I'd be in favor of setting most of FB to private, yes. People usually enjoy twitter and instagram discovery options so maybe no to those, but I know a lot of people who would prefer if they could turn off their likes from either platform being viewable.

Anyway not against the public steam data, just asking what most people who are not developers are losing from this data becoming private.

Nzyme32

Oct 28, 2017
If they can get a percentage from valve of who their trawls cover, they can still be statistically relevant.
As much as steam hardware surveys are, at least. And its not like steam spy was super accurate statistically in the first place, as there were some pretty big margins of error involved.

Yes, that's a good point. Certainly not ideal. It would also be entirely dependant on the defaults and if anyone made changes. I think the default is private, so perhaps it will be less likely for people to switch their game list public

Would prefer them setting to private instead of public

Absolutely - though my priorities are a little different to most other profiles. Generally I have most things public as it's meaningless data. I don't include my specific location / name etc, I hide my inventory etc. There are lots of cases where I have wanted to hide my availability, what game I am in, what is tracked etc. In this sense the additional options are helpful and what folks have asked for

BernardoOne

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

VPVSILk.png

Honestly that's weird, it would make more sense to have the inventory private instead of game details, because the inventory can be by scammers to find people with valuable inventories.
Valve is arrogant as fuck.
I don't think they did this on purpose. They have even recommended SteamSpy as a tool for devs to use for research.

Oct 25, 2017

Yes.

But also remember that some people may not even realize or understand that Steam is also a quasi social network on top of a gaming platform. Your purchases on iTunes are not public. One would not assume they would be public for Steam too, at least by default.

Deleted member 2171

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You do realize that steamspy info allowed small indie devs to see their publishers lie about their game sales (say they were lower than they actually were). When you are in the dark, everything can be manipulated to suit the agendas of big business.

But then again a lot of you like brown nosing multibillion dollar corporations like they are your friend. So why would I be shocked with this mentality. Gamers want to get fucked over. They want to be exploited.

Rofl. This shit did more to empower EA than hurt them. I'm not brownnosing multibillion dollar corporations here, I want small devs to be on the same footing as they are re: sales data. And the fact that sales numbers were used to harass small devs going ignored wasn't cool, either.

When a big publisher is using Steamspy to auto-compile competitor and handle dev prepitch with it without letting them present the game in context as with a normal pitch, was giving all the power to the people that already have money and giant market research teams that knew how to suss out the private details embedded in that public data.

OP
OP
Oct 25, 2017
Privacy should be the default for everyone. Before the days of Facebook, it was, anyway. Philosophical stance that one can disagree with, but it's certainly one I agree with. Especially in this era when people may not always understand the data they might be giving away.
...but what "privacy" are you gaining from having the games you own hidden? That's such an asinine thing to care about, which is fine, hide it if that's something you care for. But making this the default made us lose a very nice resource.

Ploid 6.0

Oct 25, 2017

VPVSILk.png

I like the new settings, or rather the description if it has always been like that. I can hide game play time, and the current game I'm playing from everyone!

Also remember people being bugged about valuable items in their inventory, TF2 stuff like the ipod earbuds? This stuff being on default can prevent that. Should consider putting that on friends/private by default.

Akela

Oct 28, 2017
While it would never be a comprehensive as Steamspy, would it be possible for a similar service to operate via users opting in to it, or even doing manual surveys much in the way that a traditional polling company might do?

With the right methods, even a small sample size of just a few thousand people can give you relatively accurate results - most political pollsters use sample sizes of only about a 1000 people for each poll.

Whales

"This guy are sick"
Oct 25, 2017
How little people value their privacy will never cease to amaze me. It wasn't that long ago when releasing someone movie rental history was considered a dastardly act.

seriously... with the recent facebook drama about our informations and privacy you'd except people to try and be more wary about this kind of stuff but it doesn't seem like it matters for most people at all

Deleted member 7450

Oct 25, 2017
Yes, you would need to set your library to be public for it to be scraped. I'm pretty sure that was already the case, the change now is privacy is an 'opt out' rule, not an 'opt in'.
Yeah, soon as I posted I guessed the same thing. Not that much of change tbh.
We'll see how things will go when the next batch arrives.

Oct 25, 2017
...but what "privacy" are you gaining from having the games you own hidden? That's such an asinine thing to care about, which is fine, hide it if that's something you care for. But making this the default made us lose a very nice resource.
Quoting myself from earlier in the thread:
Imagine a teenager's library consisting of a bunch of games where characters come out of the closet or deal with discovering their sexuality/gender.

As games begin to branch out more and more (and, in my opinion, mature as an artform where these sorts of ideas can be discussed), the games you own and play can reveal more about you.

I can also see potential advertisement abuses like Facebook crawling your Steam profile page, if they could put 2 and 2 together to figure out that's you.

I can think of a number of other examples. Mostly school related, like some bullies harassing another kid because they see he plays anime games. A Christian making a big to-do over someone playing DOOM. Who knows.

But data inevitably gets abused. And as games go from "just Mario" to actual expressions of self, well, you see what I mean?

Deleted member 3058

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think that's the default. Game details and Inventory default on Friends Only, while playtime is unchecked and gifts is checked by default for me. Or maybe it depends on each user's privacy settings before this new change.

Here's mine (haven't changed anything):
Yeah, that's how mine looked (the page loaded right after I hit post, lol) with the exception of Library that was already set to private (carried over from my old settings).

Here are my settings after I made some changes. It's about where I think the defaults should be:
TVj2K7E.jpg

Nzyme32

Oct 28, 2017
Honestly that's weird, it would make more sense to have the inventory private instead of game details, because the inventory can be by scammers to find people with valuable inventories.

I don't think they did this on purpose. They have even recommended SteamSpy as a tool for devs to use for research.

Inventory privacy has been available for a very long time, possibly since launch of inventory, can't remember. I don't think I've messed with my settings and it is automatically private.

I think a similar thing was true with the over all visibility. I remember specify changing my visibility to public so I could utilise other websites like humble and GOG connect, but have always had inventory private since that is always called out as the way you'll end up with stupid friend requests and begging. Also hidden public commenting.

Also yeah, amusing to think Valve are arogant here after allowing and supporting the existence of such a service for so long

Stiler

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Steam itself should report sales data imo.

I mean even the movie industry does this, it's so incredibly stupid in this day and age that the games industry tries so hard to cover up sales data.

LiQuid!

Oct 26, 2017
Yeah usually I'm all in favor of the side of privacy, but when it comes to something as meaningless as my collection of digital videogames, I don't see the point of caring. Facebook is privy to a lot more sensitive data than Steam is, so comparing them on anything less than a purely philosophical level seems arbitrary.

Ploid 6.0

Oct 25, 2017
Imagine if you all's Amazon purchases were public. Imagine all of the small companies you could help by making everyone's total buy info on Amazon visible. It would be so nice to find someone's amazon profile to see all of their posts on the amazon comments, what they watch on prime, who they sub to on twitch, what amazon products they view, their reviews, and the stuff they ordered on Sunday that should be showing up on their doorstep within a week. All visible by default. /not serious

Deleted member 3058

Oct 25, 2017
seriously... with the recent facebook drama about our informations and privacy you'd except people to try and be more wary about this kind of stuff but it doesn't seem like it matters for most people at all
Yeah, I think of lot of it has to do with people discounting how much can be inferred just by their entertainment choices.

This quote is regarding facebook likes but the concept is similar: With just a few data points you can start building a fairly accurate profile of a user.
These companies, according to a 2013 study by computational psychologist and big data scientist Michal Kosinski and others, found that Facebook likes "can be used to automatically and accurately predict a range of highly sensitive personal attributes."

Kosinski's algorithm was able to predict whether a person was black or white with 95% accuracy, male or female with 93% accuracy, gay or straight with 88% accuracy and Democrat or Republican with 85% accuracy.

With just 10 likes, a computer model fundamentally knows you better than a colleague, according to additional research published by Kosinski in 2015. With 70 likes, it knows you better than a friend or roommate; with 150 likes, better than a family member. And with 300 likes, Big Data knows you better than your spouse.
http://wgno.com/2018/04/10/how-facebook-likes-predict-race-religion-and-sexual-orientation/

---------
hardcastlemccormick hits on a good point about not-in-the-know consumers' default expectation of privacy:
Yes.

But also remember that some people may not even realize or understand that Steam is also a quasi social network on top of a gaming platform. Your purchases on iTunes are not public. One would not assume they would be public for Steam too, at least by default.

Deleted member 3058

Oct 25, 2017
Occams Razor says it obviously isn't.
Not everyone is aware of one of the bigger tech news stories from today which is, coincidentally, directly related to social media platforms handling of user information:
https://www.washingtonpost.com/busi...acd97698cef_story.html?utm_term=.a598052b2348
https://arstechnica.com/tech-policy...nd-a-smile-to-try-to-seduce-assuage-senators/
https://arstechnica.com/tech-policy...-before-sharing-your-data-under-proposed-law/

Nzyme32

Oct 28, 2017
Making it private by default is the right move, no question.
Sad about collateral damage though.

Yep. I did not think about this when asking for it!

The obvious solution is for Steam to provide sales data but of course they won't.

Legally, I don't think Valve can provide specific per application data without consent from the dev / pub in question, with the exception of concurrent user data which is public once a game is released.

SteamSpy scraped public data and statistical analysis to estimate owner data. As a third party service not infringing on any agreements, it was fine to exist ( with the exception of when Sergey attempted to monetize this data and Valve stepped in to stop that)

It absolutely seems to be an attempt to take down Steam Spy.

How do we reach this conclusion considering all of Valve's past usage and recommendations of SteamSpy, support of its existence for so many years, and that the current changes are highly requested by users and syncing up with the changes for the Steam refresh + client update?

I don't buy it, unless something extremely significant has happened. In the end Valve / Steam have massively benefited from SteamSpy's availability. The fact Valve themselves recommended it at Dev Days throughout is some testament to this

Jamesac68

Oct 27, 2017
About time! This data never should have been left open in the first place. Also coming up on Steam is Invisible mode, for when you don't want your friends to know you're online playing Space Waifu. I honestly have no idea why it took so long for Valve to do this.

yuraya

Oct 25, 2017
Does the industry really owe us their sales numbers? Whatever they own is probably put out on quarterly reports.

Gaming is one of the most expensive forms of entertainment out there today. Its only at the benefit of the industry to let gamers know how healthy or unhealthy everything is.

In the all digital future..all we are gonna have is shitty corporate PR masking bullshit #s with bullshit words. Its pretty much already how it is now. Being in the dark is gonna suck.