rhandino

Oct 25, 2017
...but what "privacy" are you gaining from having the games you own hidden?
I really dont want my super conservative co-workers to know that I own games like Dream Daddy, Hunie Pop or some kusoge Compile Heart game that I got on a sale.

Yeah I care about my personal information getting out there. What games I have doesn't mean jack to me.
Good for you, not the case for a lot of people tho.

A kii at you not giving value to your game info which can be used as efficiently as your Likes/Retweets/Follows/etc...

eathdemon

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
this is the paradox most people dont think about. people do not realize just how much of modern services are dependent on sharing data. I am not saying its good or bad, but just something people should think about.

dex3108

Oct 26, 2017
Yep. I did not think about this when asking for it!

Legally, I don't think Valve can provide specific per application data without consent from the dev / pub in question, with the exception of concurrent user data which is public once a game is released.

SteamSpy scraped public data and statistical analysis to estimate owner data. As a third party service not infringing on any agreements, it was fine to exist ( with the exception of when Sergey attempted to monetize this data and Valve stepped in to stop that)

How do we reach this conclusion considering all of Valve's past usage and recommendations of SteamSpy, support of its existence for so many years, and that the current changes are highly requested by users and syncing up with the changes for the Steam refresh + client update?

I don't buy it, unless something extremely significant has happened. In the end Valve / Steam have massively benefited from SteamSpy's availability. The fact Valve themselves recommended it at Dev Days throughout is some testament to this

I personally find it strange that they didn't inform Sergey before making it public. Valve always informed big "players" before making changes that could affect them. Hell they even informed us users before making bigger changes.

Deleted member 3038

Oct 25, 2017
I really dont want my super conservative co-workers to know that I own games like Dream Daddy, Hunie Pop or some kusoge Compile Heart game that I got on a sale.

Good for you, not the case for a lot of people tho.

A kii at you not giving value to your game info which can be used as efficiently as your Likes/Retweets/Follows/etc...

Exactly, If people want to know what games I play, I can tell them myself. I should be worried that I have playtime in some other games, which builds a unrealistic view of me (Or even worse, causes Issues based on said games).

I set my steam Profile public because I have Info there that I commonly link to randoms, But I always didn't like that stuff like my playtime & Games showed up for them.

Nzyme32

Oct 28, 2017
I personally find it strange that they didn't inform Sergey before making it public. Valve always informed big "players" before making changes that could affect them. Hell they even informed us users before making bigger changes.

Yeah, that's why I also thought it was very odd. Very interested in seeing any response from Valve on the topic

Fiel

Oct 30, 2017
I am working in gaming analysis industry and i find this trouble me in foreseeable future because I tend to use this as source of reference so often. :/

Bad move Steam. less data, less fun.

LordHuffnPuff

Doctor Videogames at Allfather Productions
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
webernet
Privacy settings are nice. To the SteamSpy thing:

As a developer, I can tell you firsthand that SteamSpy is a large source of anxiety and stress - it was never perfectly accurate, yet despite this it provided an not only an upsettingly easy way for devs to psychologically hurt themselves (we already know what our personal sales are, but being able to trivially compare ourselves and our success or lack thereof to other games or even our good friends - great for anxiety, which let me tell you runs rampant in this industry) but also for publishers to quickly look at (and potentially reject) small projects that might have promise but don't get approved because the dev hasn't delivered hits in the past. I suppose one might say "just don't go to the site then if it upsets you" but my friend that is not how humans work, and also sets aside the weird publisher interactions.

Anyway I'm sorry to those who liked SteamSpy - but I think on the whole the gains outweigh the losses. Or maybe I'm just bitter because SteamSpy kinda compromised a part of our dev cycle which could have been better if it weren't for their data tracking.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
Do we know they didn't inform him?

While the privacy settings update was certainly in the works for a while, it's possible they decided at the eleventh hour to have privacy on by default.

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
If Valve wanted to shut off SteamSpy, they could have screwed around with their webpages to mess up whatever page crawling scripts he uses to get the data. Or they could have sent a C&D.

The first is nowhere as easy as you make it sound. There is no easy way to show data in a format that is both human readable and machine unparseable.
The second would have given them bad publicity and Steam avoids that like the plague.

So no, this is actually the easiest, safest way for them to do this. Especially if we assume they really have no horse in the race and wpuld be doing it to appease AAA pubs.

Just to clarify, I'm not saying they did this to kill SteamSpy (in fact they probably didn't). I'm saying that if they did want to kill SteamSpy, this would be the optimal way.

Orayn

Oct 25, 2017
Mixed feelings. This update gives users more privacy and control, but it would be great if there was still some way for SteamSpy to operate through an API or what have you.

I do wonder if publisher pressure played a role in this move.

Deleted member 3058

User requested account closure
Oct 25, 2017
About time! This data never should have been left open in the first place. Also coming up on Steam is Invisible mode, for when you don't want your friends to know you're online playing Space Waifu. I honestly have no idea why it took so long for Valve to do this.
Not quite the same thing but you can always go into "appear offline" mode:
Ww7ZpMk.png

rockx4

Dec 8, 2017
Whats crazy is how many people assume this change was aimed at steamspy given the facebook privacy issue right now.

dex3108

Oct 26, 2017
Do we know they didn't inform him?

While the privacy settings update was certainly in the works for a while, it's possible they decided at the eleventh hour to have privacy on by default.

I don't think that he would lie and act surprised on Twitter when it went live. He would probably have blog post ready for publishing or something if he was informed.

Hamchan

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Ugh, this really sucks.

Honestly, thanks Sergey for making a legitimately cool thing.

Nzyme32

Oct 28, 2017
The first is nowhere as easy as you make it sound. There is no easy way to show data in a format that is both human readable and machine unparseable.
The second would have given them bad publicity and Steam avoids that like the plague.

So no, this is actually the easiest, safest way for them to do this. Especially if we assume they really have no horse in the race and are doing it to appease AAA pubs.

Why this doesn't make sense is that mere days ago they were holding talks with Devs at GDC and continued to praise and recommend SteamSpy, as they have been for a long time. The timeframe for such a U-turn in opinion seems unlikely and any pressured move to do this is also unlikely considering all the years they have been supportive of the service. Such a move could have been done long ago

Oct 25, 2017

Did I make it sound easy? Not my intention. No, but easier than making an entire user-facing feature. Yes, screwing with one guy's custom made scripts is probably easier than shipping a new feature.

Remind me what thread we're in, again? Oh yes, right, the one where everyone is assuming Valve fucked over the SteamSpy developer on purpose with no evidence. Bad publicity follows them wherever they go.

So no, this is actually the easiest, safest way for them to do this. Especially if we assume they really have no horse in the race and are doing it to appease AAA pubs.

Do we assume this? Have we heard anyone at Steam actually complain about the website? Has there been any notable issues from AAA pubs about SteamSpy?

Taking the proposition that Valve is doing this with the explicit or even secondary motive to eliminate SteamSpy (and other related Steam metadata websites) takes a lot more than what I'm hearing so far. Not to mention that these privacy settings are indeed a very good thing that people should be cheering Valve for, despite the casualties.

EDIT:

Just to clarify, I'm not saying they did this to kill SteamSpy (in fact they probably didn't). I'm saying that if they did want to kill SteamSpy, this would be the optimal way.

Fair enough on the intent bit.

Last edited:

Virtua Sanus

Nov 24, 2017
That is seriously unfortunate. Not only was it incredibly helpful, but I got a lot of enjoyment out of learning what games the PC market likes and dislikes. I was fascinated to find out that basically no 3D platformer has ever done especially well on Steam, which made the Spyro remakes not coming to Steam make sense to me, whereas before I was just annoyed.

Oct 25, 2017
Is this real? Asking for a friend.
Deep Space Waifu is fun as hell. Bought it just for the memes and ended up actually enjoying it.

If you're already into bullet hell games, I doubt it'll do anything for you at all, but if you're like me and always wanted to get the genre but it never clicked for you, maybe the more casual approach of this game can help.

I'm definitely looking forward to trying more games like that.

yuraya

Oct 25, 2017
Can you go further with this?

Well just look at something like Undertale or Stardew Valley. Games made by just one person that sold millions of copies on Steam. Having that type of data be public has literally influenced thousands of developers to make indie games on PC/Steam in recent years. Seeing price data and seeing how customers respond is important to creators. The success of Japanese games on Steam has influenced other Japanese developers to release games on Steam as well. Its a snowball affect when sales data is public. Very few companies actually share data with the public these days. There was a thread not that long ago here in regards to some game where a Japanese developer said that they were releasing games on Steam because they've seen other devs have success. I believe it was NnKII but it may have been something else. All the data benefits gamers and creators in the long run. Steamspy was one of few tools out there that did something for digital data too.

collige

Oct 31, 2017
I mean, Steamspy was great and all, but the data they were collecting was not anonymized so I can't say that Valve is making the incorrect move here. Furthermore, even if the default was to have libraries be visible, the increased number of people hiding their libraries would have made Steamspy even more inaccurate than it already is anyway.

Epilexia

Jan 27, 2018
Big corporations that can invest in paying for sales analytics to external companies win with this situation, while indie developers are fucked up.

Steamspy was a great source for planning future developments, and analyzing the data for trying to do more compelling games appealing to a more broader segment of the market.

A very sad day for the indie industry.

Compsiox

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Steamcharts and steamspy :(

Why they do this :(

Deleted member 5167

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So no, this is actually the easiest, safest way for them to do this. Especially if we assume they really have no horse in the race and wpuld be doing it to appease AAA pubs.

No it wouldn't, just adding an oauth requirement for each lookup, and add a basic time between each request would be trivial to implement and completely cripple any future data harvesting while being basically invisible to legitimate users.

collige

Oct 31, 2017
Big corporations that can invest in paying for sales analytics to external companies win with this situation, while indie developers are fucked up.

Steamspy was a great source for planning future developments, and analyzing the data for trying to do more compelling games appealing to a more broader segment of the market.

A very sad day for the indie industry.
How would these theoretical sales analytics firms get data that Steamspy can't now?

Ja-

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
I do appreciate the new privacy settings as someone that plays a lot in "offline" mode (mostly to not bother others when I change games) but it effecting steam spy sucks... I wonder if it'll affect concurrent player numbers somehow

Pixieking

Oct 25, 2017
I do appreciate the new privacy settings as someone that plays a lot in "offline" mode (mostly to not bother others when I change games) but it effecting steam spy sucks... I wonder if it'll affect concurrent player numbers somehow

Nah, concurrent player numbers are from Valve's own site, and are just basic numbers:

http://store.steampowered.com/stats/

Everything there is Valve's data, and shouldn't be affected by GDPR, since there's no personal information, and no third-party company interaction.

Epilexia

Jan 27, 2018
How would these theoretical sales analytics firms get data that Steamspy can't now?

Through firms specialized in marketing and current tendencies. Companies that can invest a lot of money doing surveys, with people specialized in the use of branding and how every single decision taken in a game, starting from the logo, can appeal to a different segment of the public.

AR Starts

Oct 25, 2017
Dingdingding
Non-compliance can incur up to 4% annual revenue fine.
I've been working on it a little bit. Pretty crazy. Has some good and some bad. Not familiar enough with it beyond the work I've done to make a judgment call.

It does have some weird effects though. Microsoft updated the community favorites page on Halo 3 for the first time in 8 years or so to remove some user data.