• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 26, 2017
  1. PUBG - $600M
  2. CS:GO - $120M
  3. GTA V - $83M
  4. COD:WII - $41M
  5. Civilization VI - $39M
  6. TW3: Wild Hunt - $38M
  7. Divinity: Original Sin 2 - $37M
  8. GR Wildands - $33M
  9. WarHammer II - $32M
  10. Middle-Earth: Shadow of War - $31M
  11. R6: Siege - $30M
  12. NieR: Automata - $29M
  13. ARK - $28M
  14. For Honor - $26M
  15. AC: Origins - $25M
  16. RE7 - $24M
  17. Dark Souls III - $24M
  18. Rocket League $23M
  19. Football Manager 2018 - $23M
  20. Cuphead - $22M
SteamSpy estimates
No MTX, F2P games, DLC included
Ubisoft games are also available on uPlay
GTA V copies sold through Rockstar Social Club are not included here, only direct Steam sales are factored.
4z9sbXXikHHv5WWSFnLSn8-650-80.jpg

Last edited:

Deleted member 35011

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 1, 2017
There's a few games up there that I didn't expect to see, but that I'm happy to, like Nier and Divinity. Loved those games but had no idea they were that popular!

Paul

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
GTA 5 is insane when you realize it does not count ingame transactions and copies sold on steam (like all retail, all electronic nonsteam copies).

Witcher 3 is also extremely impressive, making back its production budget all over again, two years after release.

And congrats Larian. It is great to see good guys rewarded.

Last edited:

ChaosSmurf

GLHF
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Horsham, United Kingdom
Isn't this the exact thing SteamSpy says not to do? Owners multiplied by $60 doesn't equal money made, because the owners number is inaccurate, there's no way to tell where they got it, along with a legion of other problems?

OP
OP
Oct 26, 2017
Isn't this the exact thing SteamSpy says not to do? Owners multiplied by $60 doesn't equal money made, because the owners number is inaccurate, there's no way to tell where they got it, along with a legion of other problems?

They are estimates from SteamSpy, not 100% accurate numbers.
SteamSpy owner at GDC 2018 relased the list himself.

Deleted member 11262

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
That's much less than I thought...
So a "big budget" game like Shadow of War for example did only have a revenue of 31mio$, while it was sold at Full Price for $50-$60?
That's like half a million sales.

And there are not that many that actually did better than that. Is this normal?

Tickling

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Football manager more or less a couple of country game and always up in the charts as well

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
GTA 5 is insane when you realize it does not cunt ingame transactions and copies sold on steam (like all retail, all electronic nonsteam copies).

Witcher 3 is also extremely impressive, making back its production budget all over again, two years after release.

And congrats Larian. It is great to see good guys rewarded.

Nice typo.

Also, holy shit at PUBG cashing in 5 times what second place did.

EDIT: And I just noticed Cuphead joining the top 20. Insane result, well deserved, too.

OP
OP
Oct 26, 2017
That's much less than I thought...
So a "big budget" game like Shadow of War for example did only have a revenue of 31mio$, while it was sold at Full Price for $50-$60?
That's like half a million sales.

And there are not that many that actually did better than that. Is this normal?

That's normal, the PC crowd on Steam is more focused on RPGs and multiplayer games.
NieR: Automata, Divinity:OS2 and The Witcher 3, they all did good numbers, i'm pretty sure only with the PC sales of NieR they managed to cover the development cost of the game.
Ubisoft numbers are not accurate, because we don't know the exact sales on uPlay platform.
Some games there are available on GoG.com as well and we have a lot of 2015-2016 games in that list, the exact revenue for TW3, Civilization VI, DS III, Rocket League, ARK, CSGO and Siege is way more higher.

MrLPG

Dec 29, 2017
For Honor is WAY higher than I expected. That gives me hope for a sequel, this time with dedicated servers at the release... They've introtuced them way too late.

devSin

Oct 27, 2017
How are these numbers determined? Given regional pricing, discounts, resellers, and other variables, it doesn't feel entirely legitimate (that's a lot of data that I don't think is publicly tracked on Steam).

Oct 25, 2017
Surprised to see COD: WWII here, given that COD is not big on PC. And really glad to see DOS2 has performed well, Larian deserves every bit and more. Also Dark Souls is really a monster on PC... to think that it began with a change.org petition...
  1. NieR: Automata - $29M
Still not enough to pay for a patch :D

texhnolyze

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
Can't wait to see what they could come up with Original Sin 3 or whatever game they're working on next.

It seems that they just sent coupons to people (probably those who own the game) on Steam.

330x192

If anyone wants it just throw me a PM.

devSin

Oct 27, 2017
Estimates from SteamSpy, the owner at GDC 2018 released this list himself.
Saying who it comes from doesn't answer the question as to how these values were determined.

Given all the factors I listed (and probably more that I neglected to mention), having an estimate of the number of copies in circulation is meaningless as far as determining actual revenue.

So where did these numbers come from? SteamSpy was purchased by VGChartz when we weren't looking?

OP
OP
Oct 26, 2017
So where did these numbers come from?

Ask him https://twitter.com/galyonkin
Read this https://www.pcgamer.com/the-top-100...he-total-money-in-2017-according-to-steamspy/

Keep in mind that SteamSpy's data is not completely accurate. It collects data once a day from public Steam profiles based on the Web API provided by Valve. Because a small percentage of profiles are private (again, 99.9% are public according to Galyonkin) and the Valve Web API servers don't work as they should, be sure to approach all of SteamSpy's data with a grain of salt.

Last edited:

FallenGrace

Oct 27, 2017
Really glad to see Divinity do well, I haven't played it yet as I'm a console only gamer but the first was amazing and from what I hear the second is far better. Larian deserve all the sales they get.

That gap from Pubg to everything else is just bonkers....

RossoneR

Oct 28, 2017
Great numbers for PUBG, Cuphead, gta but the rest of the multiplats? Really underwhelming.

i hope 2018 is going to better especially for smaller studios.

Pyros Eien

Oct 31, 2017
Original Sin 3 confirmed. Hopefully. Please.
While I'd very much like a 3rd one, I figure maybe they'll be tempted to try something else, the older divinity games were all fairly different so they might not want to make just another crpg with turn based combat. If they do plan one though I'll buy it. I'm also a bit surprised they kinda didn't have plans for some DLC content(or at least, they haven't said anything yet).

Nov 6, 2017
While I'd very much like a 3rd one, I figure maybe they'll be tempted to try something else, the older divinity games were all fairly different so they might not want to make just another crpg with turn based combat. If they do plan one though I'll buy it. I'm also a bit surprised they kinda didn't have plans for some DLC content(or at least, they haven't said anything yet).

Well doesnt have to be medieval fantasy. I'd love a Divinity cyberpunk or sci-fi or post-apocalyptic if you know what I mean ;)

Dusk Golem

Local Horror Enthusiast
Oct 25, 2017
Really happy to see NieR: Automata, Resident Evil 7, and Cuphead on there.

spineduke

Oct 25, 2017
That really doesn't paint the whole picture without factoring in mtx and steam marketplace profits - its still interesting, but I'm much more interested in seeing how much lootboxes and so on impact the bottom line for publishers.

edit: Cuphead did amazingly well considering how niche the genre and artstyle is.

visvim

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
wow Divinity!! huge for Larian. Hope they continue to make incredible games and a ton of money.

Zool

Oct 28, 2017
Ok, didn't knew that. Always thought that steam had a monopoly and was the leading provider of games. Rest were scraps...

uncleniccius

Nov 3, 2017
That siege number is super impressive given uplay, and the fact that season pass/cosmetic sales are also pretty high. They must be making bank.

Oh and of course it came out in 2015.

Woozies

Nov 1, 2017
Ok, didn't knew that. Always thought that steam had a monopoly and was the leading provider of games. Rest were scraps...
Nah.

Tencent is the big boy, and probably always will be.

China's Internet giant is basically incomparable to anything shy of the biggest tech companies.