Anno

Oct 25, 2017
Columbus, Ohio
Ok, didn't knew that. Always thought that steam had a monopoly and was the leading provider of games. Rest were scraps...

This also is only games purchased, so no DLC/expansions/microtransactions. So Steam itself really makes much more than this, it just can't be estimated through Steam Spy.

But yes, Steam is commonly thought of as way more of the PC market than it actually is.

Deleted member 2840

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sure, Tencent is the biggest one followed by Steam.
But the majority of the biggest multiplayer games are not on Steam. BF, LOL, WoW, Fortnite, Destiny, Overwatch etc...
Not only those.

Sivvp55.png

The majority of those aren't on Steam at all, and some of those that do(DFO) have the vast majority of players from outside of Steam.

Patapuf

Oct 26, 2017
Ok, didn't knew that. Always thought that steam had a monopoly and was the leading provider of games. Rest were scraps...

Steam is the biggest seller of "traditional" games in the west.

The big guys on PC all run live games though. And while Valve has their own in Dota and CS, there's bigger fish in the sea.

Tygre

Oct 25, 2017
Chesire, UK
Isn't this the exact thing SteamSpy says not to do? Owners multiplied by $60 doesn't equal money made, because the owners number is inaccurate, there's no way to tell where they got it, along with a legion of other problems?
But this isn't that.

Doing what SteamSpy says not to do, and what you are implying is being done here, is dumb for the reasons you outlined.

What is actually being done here had rather more work and thought put into it than "Owners multiplied by $60".

spineduke

Oct 25, 2017
Isn't this the exact thing SteamSpy says not to do? Owners multiplied by $60 doesn't equal money made, because the owners number is inaccurate, there's no way to tell where they got it, along with a legion of other problems?

These are estimates, and based on a the 70% cut publishers make off Steam. There is a margin of error but the numbers are based on numbers pulled from the Steam API

StuBurns

Self Requested Ban
Banned
Nov 12, 2017
God damn, seeing Nier there makes me tingle.

The world knows now. The world knows.

GhostTrick

Oct 25, 2017

devSin

Oct 27, 2017
These are estimates, and based on a the 70% cut publishers make off Steam. There is a margin of error but the numbers are based on numbers pulled from the Steam API
The problem is that there's nothing in the Steam database that indicates purchase price (and if you frequent any Steam thread, you know a lot of users are allergic to paying full price). You can estimate ownership (which SteamSpy does statistically, via polling), but I don't know how that can be translated to revenue without making key assumptions.

So without knowing how those numbers were determined, it's useless information.

Mivey

Oct 25, 2017
While I'd very much like a 3rd one, I figure maybe they'll be tempted to try something else, the older divinity games were all fairly different so they might not want to make just another crpg with turn based combat. If they do plan one though I'll buy it. I'm also a bit surprised they kinda didn't have plans for some DLC content(or at least, they haven't said anything yet).
As far as I understand, Larian head Swen Vincke pretty much said that project E (which later become Original Sin) was something they wanted to work on all along. Even the first Divinity was meant to have something like this, but they had to make it closer to Diablo to sell it to publishers (and that's also the reason for the terrible "Divine Divinity" name)
The Original Sin games are also funded partly by fans, so totally independent from publisher meddling. I could see them continue making these kinds of games forever. Especially as they are changing the formula quite a bit. DOS2 introduced new elements to the combat, much better companions, actually good writing and 4 player co-op that allows each player to work against each other and form short lived alliances and back stab each other again.
So even if a DOS3 comes (I'm fairly certain of it), it will certainly bring many new things on the table.

ASaiyan

Oct 25, 2017
22 million dollars from Cuphead. I think it's safe to say the Moldenhauers have paid back their mortgage.

spineduke

Oct 25, 2017
The problem is that there's nothing in the Steam database that indicates purchase price (and if you frequent any Steam thread, you know a lot of users are allergic to paying full price). You can estimate ownership (which SteamSpy does statistically, via polling), but I don't know how that can be translated to revenue without making key assumptions.

So without knowing how those numbers were determined, it's useless information.

Yea, I'm not sure how they're offsetting that problem - Sergey presented a talk with this information so there's either something we don't know or its worrisome that this is being presented as solid evidence.

Remember that it doesn't take into account DLC and Microtransactions, which has a bearing on F2P titles. Also, keep in mind it's for the entire library. You'll have a lot of older titles. And you'll also have a lot of cashgrabs.

Yep, but we're still talking about 100 games for the year covering that stuff, excluding the DLC etc... not sure if this was the case in previous years but its surprisingly topheavy in the revenue spread.

Mecha Meister

Next-Gen Guru
Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom

Where's the PC version of Red Dead Redemption 2? :(

I wonder if Red Dead Redemption 2 is built to scale to PC and next generation consoles like Cyberpunk 2077 is from CD Projekt Red?

Scaling the game from current gen consoles to PC and next gen consoles should be less complex this time providing the next gen consoles stay close to PCs like the PS4 and Xbox One did. Perhaps the PC version of Red Dead Redemption 2 will release sooner than the PC version of GTA V did as a result of this?

Kyougar

Cute Animal Whisperer
Nov 3, 2017
Yep, but we're still talking about 100 games for the year covering that stuff, excluding the DLC etc... not sure if this was the case in previous years but its surprisingly topheavy in the revenue spread.

100 games this year against 21.000 games Lifetime
This is a stupid metric.

Hong

Oct 30, 2017
So many great games I didn't expect to be in their. Happy to see that!

I wonder how it would look with MTX included. Dota 2 or CS:GO might be the highest then?

Edit: forgot PUBG has MTX too. Maybe that one.

Carlius

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Buenos Aires, Argentina
Much lower than I thought.... PC market seems very small?!
this is only on steam..remember diablo 3 sold 12 million copies when it came out, overwatch and destiny are in the millions as well...battlefield series up there too, then you have gog, uplay, origin, and others. so if you ask me, considering that the pc market gives out more money per unit sold than a console game after all the marketting and licensing fees, its pretty good.