• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

What will the review score of Stellar Blade be?

• 95 or higher

Votes: 22 1.5%
  • 90-94

Votes: 28 1.9%
  • 85-89

Votes: 212 14.3%
  • 80-84

Votes: 668 45.0%
  • 75-79

Votes: 397 26.8%
  • 70-74

Votes: 95 6.4%
  • Below 70

Votes: 62 4.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Loud Wrong

Feb 24, 2020
you guys that get so offended when people compare games to Souls, or say they have Soulslike features really need to chill out. It's like people that get offended when others call a game "metroidvania".

And I say that as a giant Souls fanboy (and a metroidvania fanboy in fact lol)

Like, you can clearly see some Souls elements just from the demo. Stamina based combat, healing items that refresh, enemies that refresh when you rest, hidden enemies around corners to gank you, big ass bosses.

And that's just from the demo. Now if you want to argue most of those things didn't originate from Souls games, sure, but they made those things popular that's for sure.
Yep. And in the latest Making Of video, they very clearly state their inspirations for the game.

Deluxera

Mar 13, 2020
I'd be surprised if it's lower than 80. The production values should carry it over there at least.

Slackerchan

Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
I don't want any games to turn out bad but I counterpicked this in my Fantasy Critic league so I need this to be, shall we say, less than stellar?

I'll show myself out.

03-AALIYAH

Jul 21, 2023
75-80.

Independantly of the qualities (or lack thereof) of the game, I don't expect it to review well.

EntelechyFuff

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Nov 19, 2019
I'd be surprised if it's lower than 80. The production values should carry it over there at least.
Yeah, I think the strength of high production values is being underestimated in these poll results.

I expect this game to score super high (high 80s is my expected "floor"). I also expect that most outlets will only make cursory mention of the objectification issues, where it is raised at all.

Yuri P

Oct 28, 2017
79 feels like the ceiling after the demo and considering how crowded the souls market is. So my guess is 74.

intradictus

Sep 17, 2023
It launched in a rough state if I recall. A lot of that has been smoothed out by the PC port and PS5 back compat.
There was literally one of the tunnels in the north end of the map that was a pretty important cross over point between the rat and the west that literally for over a week had no road and I would fall into the void if I tried to traverse it, uninstalling and reinstalling the game had no effect. The second open world zone dropped frames so badly that I could literally count them. I personally would have rated it lower (probably 5/10 or so) based on that alone. People have really big rose tinted glasses about the launch of that game

Also guessing 79/81

Moara

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Gonna be very mid, but has high production value so that already guarantees around 79-80

Oct 26, 2017
you guys that get so offended when people compare games to Souls, or say they have Soulslike features really need to chill out. It's like people that get offended when others call a game "metroidvania".

Like, you can clearly see some Souls elements just from the demo. Stamina based combat, healing items that refresh, enemies that refresh when you rest, hidden enemies around corners to gank you, big ass bosses.

And that's just from the demo. Now if you want to argue most of those things didn't originate from Souls games, sure, but they made those things popular that's for sure.
It doesn't have stamina based combat…
And yeah it is pretty absurd to say that any game with big bosses is a souls like now. Or checkpoints which replenish enemies/healing items.

And I just think it's not good practice to dock games points based on shallow comparisons. (And yes those are shallow comparisons in the context of video games ).
Not sure that equates to being offended.

Noog

▲ Legend ▲
May 1, 2018
I thought the demo was phenomenal.

My guess is that the game reviews better Lies of P's 80% and worse than Nier Automata's 88%, so my safe answer is in the 80-84% range.

If the rest of the game isn't as good, I can see it falling in the high 70s. If it keeps that momentum going, I can see it in the high 80s.

GhostTrick

Oct 25, 2017
I'd say between 75-78. Depends if the game maintains some kind of quality overall.
We'll see if they cooked or not.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, I think the strength of high production values is being underestimated in these poll results.

I expect this game to score super high (high 80s is my expected "floor"). I also expect that most outlets will only make cursory mention of the objectification issues, where it is raised at all.
Plenty of games with high production values score low 80s or even less. I really don't think it's that big a factor on its own, especially if other aspects of the game don't hold up for people.

Shemhazai

Aug 13, 2020

Soulslikes are whatever, but I'll die on the hill that Metroidvanias can only ever be used to refer to Castlevania games with the open castle style level design of SotN.

Everything else should be referred to as "backtracky-platformy-thing".

Status
Not open for further replies.