• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

What will the review score of Stellar Blade be?

• 95 or higher

Votes: 22 1.5%
  • 90-94

Votes: 28 1.9%
  • 85-89

Votes: 212 14.3%
  • 80-84

Votes: 668 45.0%
  • 75-79

Votes: 397 26.8%
  • 70-74

Votes: 95 6.4%
  • Below 70

Votes: 62 4.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tendo

Oct 26, 2017
Yeah the music and creature design are what grabbed me during the demo. And the combat was pretty damn fun too. Keepin an eye on reviews but may pick it up this weekend.

ZeoVGM

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
Whatever score robs these devs of their bonus.

This is easily one of the most ignorant and uneducated posts I've ever read on Era.

I have been very critical of this game for its designs and treatment of female characters. But those decisions come from a small group of people at the company -- management, lead art designers, CEOs.

Not wanting the game to succeed because you don't like what it stands for is fine. Hoping that every developer who worked on the game loses their yearly bonus is vile.

Qudi

Jul 26, 2018
Low 70. I cant see them receive high scores, but yet im going to be playing it day 1. Dead island 2 was one of my most favorite game last year and had a MC in the mid 70s.
Whatever score robs these devs of their bonus.
Like the whole team? If yes, what an awful thing to say.

ScionN7

Oct 26, 2019
Perhaps! Can imagine it's quite confusing in French lol. Tomorrow is going to be an interesting day.

Yeah I'm dreading it tbh. The score itself I don't care about that much. I already know this game is exactly for me based on the demo. But people are going to be people, and it's going to be an embarrassing.

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017
Seemed like a lot of production values but a fairly typical action game. Without factoring the sexualization stuff id guess around 8.

YozoraNoctis

Jan 28, 2021
Lies of P managing to "only" get an 80 makes me think this will score somewhere in the 70s. On my personal scale I imagine it'll land somewhere closer to a 9/10.

ghibli99

Oct 27, 2017
Lies of P managing to "only" get an 80 makes me think this will score somewhere in the 70s. On my personal scale I imagine it'll land somewhere closer to a 9/10.
I don't like that MC mainly just features the platform that has the most reviews. On OC it's a little higher at 82 w/ an 88 critic rec. The other platforms on MC are higher too. It's not night-and-day different, but still. :)

ScionN7

Oct 26, 2019

That's my feeling on it, and people loved Lies of P. I expect this is going to be a game that sells well regardless of the MC score, and reception from players will be higher than critics.

--R

Being sued right now, please help me find a lawyer
Oct 25, 2017
I'll be making the review thread tomorrow. I don't really know what score to expect, it's gonna be a divisive game for sure, I reckon.

beezer

Nov 5, 2017
After Helldivers 2 disgrace Resetera users should refrain from any sort of rating/sales/online predictions

Nov 12, 2017
Going by the demo alone, I'm going with a strong 77. May go slightly lower or higher depending on the overall story and performances.

SoneaB

Oct 18, 2020
UK
Yeah I'm dreading it tbh. The score itself I don't care about that much. I already know this game is exactly for me based on the demo. But people are going to be people, and it's going to be an embarrassing.
I'm hoping it does well. Not that it affects my decision to pick it up, I think that ship sailed after the first trailer, sultry space ninja kicking the crud out of monsters is an easy sell for me. Rather that there is more riding on the games success. It shouldn't be, but games like this are sort of a litmus test for big budget game dev in the region. If it does well for ShiftUp and Sony I suspect we will see more investment in teams willing to push into the console space in South Korea.

I like what they have done with the combat system and applaud them for trying something that isn't just the same as the accepted status quo. I can, however, see it biting them in the ass. Especially if reviewers try and play it as though it is a different game. Some people really didn't like the way the demo played and I'm sure that will carry through to reviews. Personally I really liked it and think it's a great first attempt with a few rough edges, but I won't pretend it does not have a specific cadence that you have to engage with.

ScionN7

Oct 26, 2019
I'm hoping it does well. Not that it affects my decision to pick it up, I think that ship sailed after the first trailer, sultry space ninja kicking the crud out of monsters is an easy sell for me. Rather that there is more riding on the games success. It shouldn't be, but games like this are sort of a litmus test for big budget game dev in the region. If it does well for ShiftUp and Sony I suspect we will see more investment in teams willing to push into the console space in South Korea.

I like what they have done with the combat system and applaud them for trying something that isn't just the same as the accepted status quo. I can, however, see it biting them in the ass. Especially if reviewers try and play it as though it is a different game. Some people really didn't like the way the demo played and I'm sure that will carry through to reviews. Personally I really liked it and think it's a great first attempt with a few rough edges, but I won't pretend it does not have a specific cadence that you have to engage with.

I still feel strongly that the game is going to be successful for Shrift Up regardless of the review score. Sony has been going hard on the marketing, it seems to be preordering well, it's gotten a lot of attention, and also there just isn't a whole let else coming out right now. It's kinda coming out at a perfect time. I don't think Sony and Shrift Up's sales expectations are sky high. They're probably looking at Lies of P as the closest comparison for sales since that was also from S. Korea, and is within the same genre. That game crossed 1 million sales in a month on multiple platforms. If Stellar Blade does similar or better, which I think it easily will, Sony and Shrift Up will probably be pretty happy.

Dec 27, 2019
Seattle
There are too many random little reactionary Gamer sites included in metacritic for this to get a bad score. It's all wrapped up in rightwing backlash shit, and they're signaling like crazy to those people. No doubt they've given plenty of review copies out.

SoneaB

Oct 18, 2020
UK
I still feel strongly that the game is going to be successful for Shrift Up regardless of the review score. Sony has been going hard on the marketing, it seems to be preordering well, it's gotten a lot of attention, and also there just isn't a whole let else coming out right now. It's kinda coming out at a perfect time. I don't think Sony and Shrift Up's sales expectations are sky high. They're probably looking at Lies of P as the closest comparison for sales since that was also from S. Korea, and is within the same genre. That game crossed 1 million sales in a month on multiple platforms. If Stellar Blade does similar or better, which I think it easily will, Sony and Shrift Up will probably be pretty happy.
Aye, agreed. My point stands but i think the experiment has been a success and Sony clearly think so with how much they have invested in them. At the end of the day review scores and media perception mean very little as long as you make money. It goes the other way too. Far too many games one out that are wonderful that just flop at retail despite the acclaim.

airbagged_

Jan 21, 2019
Charleston, SC
There are too many random little reactionary Gamer sites included in metacritic for this to get a bad score. It's all wrapped up in rightwing backlash shit, and they're signaling like crazy to those people. No doubt they've given plenty of review copies out.

Yeah, this is gonna easily bump the score up. It's the reverse effect of review bombing. Regardless, try not to let the vocal minority gamergate nutjobs sway you if you enjoy this game.

ScionN7

Oct 26, 2019
Aye, agreed. My point stands but i think the experiment has been a success and Sony clearly think so with how much they have invested in them. At the end of the day review scores and media perception mean very little as long as you make money. It goes the other way too. Far too many games one out that are wonderful that just flop at retail despite the acclaim.

I'm with you. I think to a certain extent, Stellar Blade will be nearly critic proof. Obviously if it gets an 85+ or less than a 70 that might actually affect sales somewhat lol, but I think for the most part the game is locked in to sell enough to be considered a success.

Waggles

Oct 26, 2017
I'm expecting high 70's, but will be pleasantly surprised if it hits mid-80's. We haven't seen much of anything about how the world works, or how the story plays out, or what gameplay even entails outside of combat.

So assuming all that is still pretty good, i'll be happy.

Loud Wrong

Feb 24, 2020
Lots of verticality on display from what I'm seeing. Unless reviews point out Dragon's Dogma 2 performance problems, I think this is for me.

SoneaB

Oct 18, 2020
UK
Lots of verticality on display from what I'm seeing. Unless reviews point out Dragon's Dogma 2 performance problems, I think this is for me.
It is possible that performance falls off a cliff when we reach the city as was the case with DD2 but I remain optimistic. The demo ran wonderfully and that was probably an old ish build. I have been fooled by early game polish before though so looking forward to breakdowns tomorrow.

ScionN7

Oct 26, 2019
It is possible that performance falls off a cliff when we reach the city as was the case with DD2 but I remain optimistic. The demo ran wonderfully and that was probably an old ish build. I have been fooled by early game polish before though so looking forward to breakdowns tomorrow.

So far performance looks good in the open world from what I'm seeing from the stream.

Switters

Oct 28, 2017
Like the whole team? If yes, what an awful thing to say.

Lol. No. "Devs" as in the royal devs. I should have worded it better thinking it was interchangeable within the context. I'm not a monster. Christ. I just don't think bald faced misogyny and anti-feminism should be rewarded. Call me crazy. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Naiad

Aug 27, 2020
I'm guessing around the 80s. I don't foresee it going too high unless you completely just ignore the sexualization.

The environments, music, and monsters aren't bad....but, they'd be doing a lot of weight-carrying if the combat and sidequests become too repetitive and if the story isn't all that engaging.

Appollowexx

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Lol. No. "Devs" as in the royal devs. I should have worded it better thinking it was interchangeable within the context. I'm not a monster. Christ. I just don't think bald faced misogyny and anti-feminism should be rewarded. Call me crazy. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Pretty sure those devs will get their bonuses regardless. The people at the top always take a cut, they just lay off the 'little people' to balance the books.

Dunfish

Oct 29, 2017
"I'm going to say this ignorant thing because this is what Era believes and everyone will praise me!!"

Absolutely this.

On this forum we rightfully call out gaming industry leadership treating their employees like absolute garbage and the poster you are quoting is calling for potentially earned awards of the rank and file to be taken away. The absolute hypocrisy of comments like these (however rare) make me come to this forum less and less.

Status
Not open for further replies.