NameUser

Oct 25, 2017
I'm about to start reading "If It Bleeds." Hope it's good, not really looking forward to more Holly Gibney. Still trying to figure out why King is so in love with her.

FnordChan

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Beautiful Chapel Hill, NC
edit: Oh wait-8! I still haven't read The Wind Through The Keyhole.

If you're a fan of The Dark Tower then you're missing out by not having read The Wind Through The Keyhole. It was wonderful to revisit the world and the writing is top notch. I hope you're able to get to it soon!

11/22/63 - I would say fits that brief, and is seriously good.

I second the recommendation for 11/22/63. It's about a man who has a chance to travel back in time to prevent the Kennedy assassination. Things escalate from there - it's one helluva read.

Dr. Nick Riviera

alt account
Banned
Apr 30, 2020
I second the recommendation for 11/22/63. It's about a man who has a chance to travel back in time to prevent the Kennedy assassination. Things escalate from there - it's one helluva read.

I loved everything that didn't have to do with the Kennedy assassination plot. King has a knack for bringing that period alive.

FnordChan

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
I loved everything that didn't have to do with the Kennedy assassination plot. King has a knack for bringing that period alive.

11/22/63 reminds me of The Stand in that the best part of both books is the first half where it's dong all the world building - or, in this case, recreating the early 60s. It's just terrific stuff. Which isn't to say that the Kennedy assassination plot isn't interesting or well done, but that simply spending time in that era with the characters is so completely enjoyable.

skillzilla81

"This guy are sick"
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
The Holly story in If It Bleeds was really good. I love that character.

I'm wondering, if King is done with Dark Tower. Has there been anything that connected to it since he finished the series? Pre-Dark Tower, almost every book he wrote had some easter egg or direct connection to those books.

The Holly story in If It Bleeds was really good. I love that character.

I'm wondering, if King is done with Dark Tower. Has there been anything that connected to it since he finished the series? Pre-Dark Tower, almost every book he wrote had some easter egg or direct connection to those books.
The comics and I recall he has said he still hear the call sometimes.

FnordChan

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
The comics and I recall he has said he still hear the call sometimes.

In particular, The Dark Tower: Beginnings is five volumes, three of which adapt Wizard and Glass and the last two, The Fall of Gilead and The Battle of Jericho Hill, provide new material. It's well done and worth checking out.

As for The Dark Tower, I'd love to see King revisit the world and fill in bits of continuity here and there. For that matter, I'd love to see him hand off the series to another author and see Roland pursue the Man and Black across another path to the Dark Tower. Either way, heres hoping we get to return to Mid-World one day.

Deleted member 25606

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Its a great book, second best dark tower book after wizard and glass.
It's really good, and standalone enough not only is it essential reading for Dark Tower fans I would also actually recommend it as a stand-alone read to people that have not/don't plan on reading the series. Same as The little sisters of Eluria.

That said my second favorite work that is important to the Tower would be Insomnia, though I agree with Wizard and Glass being #1.

OP
OP
Dalek

Dalek

Oct 25, 2017
It's really good, and standalone enough not only is it essential reading for Dark Tower fans I would also actually recommend it as a stand-alone read to people that have not/don't plan on reading the series. Same as The little sisters of Eluria.

That said my second favorite work that is important to the Tower would be Insomnia, though I agree with Wizard and Glass being #1.

Little Sisters is a great story.

Oct 26, 2017
I missed the Dark Tower comics the first time around, just saw they're reprinting them in three hardback collections so got my preorder in for the first two sets, releasing in June with the third a couple of months after.

I can't, and never have been able to, find a matching hardback collection of the actual Dark Tower novels. They deserve better on my bookshelf than the ancient, well worn, yellowing mismatched set I've got.

Deleted member 25606

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Thanks for what info you do have, it is appreciated, just worried that Marvel not having the license will keep them from sale that sort of thing can vary. But....
I missed the Dark Tower comics the first time around, just saw they're reprinting them in three hardback collections so got my preorder in for the first two sets, releasing in June with the third a couple of months after.
I'll have to look into this. Hopefully there is a digital equivalent it's not just a reading preference, my place is way too small for physical even for stuff I love and want (I recently had to make the same sacrifice for the Coheed and Cambria Amory Wars comics, I really wanted the hardcover ultimate editions but I just don't have the space for physical items) so I'll look into it at least.

Oct 26, 2017
UK

Not read Insomnia yet

RedMercury

Blue Venus
Dec 24, 2017
I'm about to start reading "If It Bleeds." Hope it's good, not really looking forward to more Holly Gibney. Still trying to figure out why King is so in love with her.
She sucks, but she's a character people would like to see themselves in I guess. She has flaws but despite them she's always right, people admire and like her, she's intuitive to an unrealistic degree, she comes off as eccentric to other people, unique. She comes off to me like Sherlock Holmes type character and everyone wants to be Sherlock.

I finished the Salem's Lot audiobook last night, that was a pretty good one. It's pretty amazing how there are so many characters in it, and they all have something to differentiate them from the others, they all get a bit of time and backstory.

Deleted member 25606

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Not read Insomnia yet
I'd tell you to get right on it, but it's a pretty divisive work even among King fans, and it's long so there aren't many "it was okay" opinions, it's usually either people like me who think it's secretly one of his best books ever, or people who think it's a slog they wish they hadn't read. Best I can say is you should at least try it but if you get a couple hundred pages into it and are hating it you probably should drop it because it's not the type of book that people change their opinion later.

Oct 26, 2017
UK
I've found things to enjoy in all Stephen king books I've read so far, including The Tommyknockers which I heard a lot of people don't like.

Deleted member 25606

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I've found things to enjoy in all Stephen king books I've read so far, including The Tommyknockers which I heard a lot of people don't like.
Oof...Tommyknockers...I actually enjoyed it my second time through and it's grown on me like alien psychic powers, but I won't begrudge anyone (including King himself) who thinks it's a slog, my first read didn't go so well.

OP
OP
Dalek

Dalek

Oct 25, 2017
My daughter wanted to watch a scary movie but she's 12. I suggested the 1990 miniseries of IT.

Holy cow it's so bad.

Edit: holy cow. The cigarette smoking man from The X-Files plays the school principal.

Last edited:

Deleted member 25606

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
My daughter wanted to watch a scary movie but she's 12. I suggested the 1990 miniseries of IT.

Holy cow it's so bad.

Edit: holy cow. The cigarette smoking man from The X-Files plays the school principal.
I find it pretty funny during the lead up to the new movies when non-hardcore fans acted like it was some unassailable treasure that shouldn't be touched, when the new films were a modern attempt to adapt the material and NOT a remake of the mini-series. That said the movies are not all that either but that's a whole different subject, as a book reader I feel like they both failed just in completely different ways.

OP
OP
Dalek

Dalek

Oct 25, 2017
I find it pretty funny during the lead up to the new movies when non-hardcore fans acted like it was some unassailable treasure that shouldn't be touched, when the new films were a modern attempt to adapt the material and NOT a remake of the mini-series. That said the movies are not all that either but that's a whole different subject, as a book reader I feel like they both failed just in completely different ways.

Yeah anyone who feels that way should watch it today. It's embarrassingly bad. My daughter is laughing at most of it.

Deleted member 25606

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I didn't realize he wrote so many.
He is nothing if not prolific. A lot of it has to do with his work ethic, he gets into it in On Writing which is half memoir half how to, and probably one of the best practical guides for anyone who actually wants to get published and puts making it a viable career in front of unattainable dreams of writing the great American novel.

hwarang

Oct 27, 2017
He is nothing if not prolific. A lot of it has to do with his work ethic, he gets into it in On Writing which is half memoir half how to, and probably one of the best practical guides for anyone who actually wants to get published and puts making it a viable career in front of unattainable dreams of writing the great American novel.

Yeah I need to read that memoir soon. It's always interesting reading and learning about how prolific figures churn out so much ouput.

CaptainTrips

Nov 20, 2017
I hate Insomnia. It's aoooo long and in desperate need of an editor.
I really enjoyed Insomnia pacing issues and all. Ralph is one of the purest and humble characters King ever wrote, that made it a tolerable read at its worst.

I finished my Dark Tower read last year, and upon reflecting thought Gunslinger may be my favourite installment after The Drawing of Three.
The dreamy surreal nature of that novel was so intriguing. On top of that it, it isnt bloated like some of Kings other later novels.
Unfortunately I cant say the same for the later installments (*staring at Song of Susannah and The Dark Tower*)

JaseMath

Oct 27, 2017
Denver, CO
I really enjoyed Insomnia pacing issues and all. Ralph is one of the purest and humble characters King ever wrote, that made it a tolerable read at its worst.

I finished my Dark Tower read last year, and upon reflecting thought Gunslinger may be my favourite installment after The Drawing of Three.
The dreamy surreal nature of that novel was so intriguing. On top of that it, it isnt bloated like some of Kings other later novels.
Unfortunately I cant say the same for the later installments (*staring at Song of Sussanah and The Dark Tower)
Literally King's worst book.

Deleted member 25606

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Am I the only person that absolutely loves Dreamcatcher?!
I am fond of it as well. Don't love it but I do think there are many moments of worth in it, especially as his recovery book and the first real signs of his writing changing from an outward look at general mortality to a more inward rumination on his own. That said no matter how you feel about the book the movie is 1000 times worse and that ending just...ugh...offensively horrible, emphasis on offensive, especially to the mentally challenged.

Edit: removed quote and reply, thought he was talking of Insomnia. While I wouldn't call SoS "literally worst" it's Not very high on my list, though the Grand Guignol factor puts it over wolves of the calla for me.

Last edited:

hwarang

Oct 27, 2017

Mind a small snippet of his work ethic? I'm assuming it has to do with consistency and disciplined time blocks without distractions.

Deleted member 25606

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Mind a small snippet of his work ethic? I'm assuming it has to do with consistency and disciplined time blocks without distractions.
He treats it like a job, writes everyday blocked or not, doesn't take holidays or "book finished celebrations". Writes everyday for the same amount of time at the same time, again like a 9-5, can't be finished until he has so many words no matter what. At this point some of his published work must have been written purely out of habit.