• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Dr. Nick Riviera

alt account
Banned
Apr 30, 2020
It is a very dry book-and from here turns into a massive epic adventure.
I envy those of you jumping into this series now, who can just progress from book to book. There is a major cliffhanger at the end of book 3 that's not so major when you can just grab book 4 off the shelf. I had to wait 6 freakin' years!!!

Looking at the publication dates, I was a sophomore in HS for 'The Waste Lands' and done with college when 'Wizard & Glass' surfaced. Jesus...

OP
OP
Dalek

Dalek

Oct 25, 2017
I envy those of you jumping into this series now, who can just progress from book to book. There is a major cliffhanger at the end of book 3 that's not so major when you can just grab book 4 off the shelf. I had to wait 6 freakin' years!!!

me too. I read The Waste Lands when it came out in 1991. I was 14. It felt like literal decades before book 4 came out.

Deleted member 25606

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
First Look at 'The Stand'

I like that the series will begin in medias res. Great idea by the screenwriters.
Eh, I hope they show all of it at least though they said something about "king did that we chose not to" that is kind of worrying.

Thing is a. The virus stuff is the best part of the book and b. people ask for media of this to show from initial contact to after society since hardly anything does and The Stand is one of the few that does go through that part of the process, it would be a shame to lose it.

I will still watch it but it does kind of worry me.

Deleted member 4367

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Eh, I hope they show all of it at least though they said something about "king did that we chose not to" that is kind of worrying.

Thing is a. The virus stuff is the best part of the book and b. people ask for media of this to show from initial contact to after society since hardly anything does and The Stand is one of the few that does go through that part of the process, it would be a shame to lose it.

I will still watch it but it does kind of worry me.
Yeah, the breakdown of society is the most entertaining part of the book. The original miniseries even could have spent more time on that and I'd have been happy.

Dr. Nick Riviera

alt account
Banned
Apr 30, 2020
I spent 6 years puzzling that cliffhanger over in my mind over and over again trying to figure out how they were going to get out alive.
I've really wanted to re-read the series but I've got a superstition about it now. My nephew passed away when I was doing a read in 2008 and I never finished. Now I'm scared that reading again will bring back bad memories. And part of me thinks that reading it will bring about another death. Silly, I know, but it's a powerful fear.

RedMercury

Blue Venus
Dec 24, 2017
It is a very dry book-and from here turns into a massive epic adventure.
Things I liked:

I liked when he shot up the town, I like that the Gunslinger and therefore the reader doesn't know what is a machination of the Man In Black, I like some of the mystery still left to explore, I like what is being set up as far as multiple worlds/dimensions, its cool the MIB is basically out there traveling dimensions and taking souls, not really sure for what purpose unless it's just to serve the devil

Things I didn't like:

I didn't like the gunslinger and MIB having names, it's a minor thing but it made them less badass but I get the MIB is more of an entity than a person. I don't feel like I understand the motivation to get to the tower, MIB doesn't come off as evil as he is sometimes like when him and the GS are talking, I don;t know if the GS is supposed to be a sociopath or something the way he led the boy to his death

Things I liked:

I liked when he shot up the town, I like that the Gunslinger and therefore the reader doesn't know what is a machination of the Man In Black, I like some of the mystery still left to explore, I like what is being set up as far as multiple worlds/dimensions, its cool the MIB is basically out there traveling dimensions and taking souls, not really sure for what purpose unless it's just to serve the devil

Things I didn't like:

I didn't like the gunslinger and MIB having names, it's a minor thing but it made them less badass but I get the MIB is more of an entity than a person. I don't feel like I understand the motivation to get to the tower, MIB doesn't come off as evil as he is sometimes like when him and the GS are talking, I don;t know if the GS is supposed to be a sociopath or something the way he led the boy to his death
Your don't was WAY more clear before the rewrites he did.

Leo

Oct 27, 2017
So I used to be a pretty avid SK reader during high school and the first few years of college, but then adult life happened and I kinda fell off dense books and started to read a lot more comics.
Part of it was due to the fact that the guy puts out so much stuff, it's overwhelming. He can write much faster than I can read lol

But now I'm getting back, I might go get my old books in my mom's house and reread some of them (The Shining and Salem's Lot were my favorite and definitely warrant a reread, and I might do The Dead Zone too, since I don't remember anything about it). Back then I was loosely reading in release order, and I got around to Christine (which I didn't really like) plus a couple of Bachman's books. So I'm getting back right where I left off and will read Pet Sematary, which should be great as it's very well regarded.

My favorites among what I read are Salem's Lot, The Shinning and The Stand. My least favorites (but still enjoyable at some level) are Christine, The Regulators, and Thinner.

I'm also excited to finally start the Dark Tower at some point in the near future, I never got around to it cause I'm a very methodical reader and wanted to read in release order so I could understand the references to other work, but I might start The Gunslinger after PS.

FnordChan

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Beautiful Chapel Hill, NC
There is no audiobook of the original book version.

Sure there is:

91onrMpprJL.jpg

It's well out of print and was only available on audio cassette but in 1988 or so The Gunslinger and Drawing of the Three were issued as audiobooks read by King himself.

RedMercury

Blue Venus
Dec 24, 2017
lol Dalek The second book opens up with an explainer, I can see why he chose to do that. It goes over what we know and what we don't know from The Gunslinger!

FnordChan

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
This is cool, didn't know this existed.

But is the same is soooo out of print like the original book, and no digital ;_;

It's out of print for sure and while you can find copies readily available used it does assume you have a cassette player which, admitedly, is a limiting factor.

That said, the revised edition of The Gunslinger was released in 2003 and Frank Mueller did an updated audiobook of the original text in 1998, which you can listen to here. So, for anyone who was curious about the original edition of The Gunslinger and was going audio, here ya go.

For what it's worth, I've never read the revised version and am hesitant to do so; I've always been happy with the fix-up edition that was first published in 1982. I received a reprinting of that and Drawing of the Three in 1987 or so and have always been happy to stick to that edition since then.

It's out of print for sure and while you can find copies readily available used it does assume you have a cassette player which, admitedly, is a limiting factor.

That said, the revised edition of The Gunslinger was released in 2003 and Frank Mueller did an updated audiobook of the original text in 1998, which you can listen to here. So, for anyone who was curious about the original edition of The Gunslinger and was going audio, here ya go.

For what it's worth, I've never read the revised version and am hesitant to do so; I've always been happy with the fix-up edition that was first published in 1982. I received a reprinting of that and Drawing of the Three in 1987 or so and have always been happy to stick to that edition since then.
But it is weird that with how zealot King fans are the are no archival versions of them... at least now we got the audio so tnanks for that!

Oh yeah the zine version is another different beast, not even I'm that a purist lol.

I really really dislike the rewrite version, the changes came naturally in the next books...

RedMercury

Blue Venus
Dec 24, 2017
40% through the second Dark Tower audiobook, this one is so much better than the first! Back to work tomorrow, I'll probably have it on while I work

Zelenogorsk

Banned
Mar 1, 2018
Drawing of the Three made me a King fan. I had read some of his stuff when I was young, but then in my early 20's I picked up a copy of The Gunslinger and read it. I like it, but wasn't crazy about. Decided to check out the sequel. Ended up reading Drawing in a day and since then i've read over 20 of his novels and i'd say King is my favorite author.

The Dark Tower series also got me interested in more multi-part fantasy books (before that the idea of reading a seven book series sounded crazy to me). So thanks to that I ended up discovering a bunch of other amazing fantasy authors like Mark Lawrence, Michael J. Sullivan, Scott Lynch, and Sebastien de Castell. Drawing basically changed my life and made me rediscover reading for pleasure.

OP
OP
Dalek

Dalek

Oct 25, 2017
Ok yeah you guys are right. Revival is amazing so far. You can tell he really felt affection for this particular book because it's writtten so well. It reads like literature and not fiction. Not that there's anything from with fiction-but Mr. Mercedes is fast paced, plain speaking, Momentum building, pulpy detective stories. This reads like Faulkner. I just finished The Angry Sermon chapter and my god - it feels like King has been waiting his entire life to write all of that in one chapter.

NameUser

Oct 25, 2017
Ok yeah you guys are right. Revival is amazing so far. You can tell he really felt affection for this particular book because it's writtten so well. It reads like literature and not fiction. Not that there's anything from with fiction-but Mr. Mercedes is fast paced, plain speaking, Momentum building, pulpy detective stories. This reads like Faulkner. I just finished The Angry Sermon chapter and my god - it feels like King has been waiting his entire life to write all of that in one chapter.
Yeah, it's a wild ride. One of the best chapters he's written. The novel has some slow parts, but it's all building towards one amazing climax.

Dr. Nick Riviera

alt account
Banned
Apr 30, 2020
Jumped back in to The Dark Tower. Read The Gunslinger yesterday, got up to Door #2 in Drawing of the Three today. Like visiting an old friend.

RepairmanJack

Oct 27, 2017
Between Kingslayers podcast going through the dark tower, the Kingcast coming out I decided to jump back in to some older King I still haven't read. I wasn't getting enough pandemic depression so I guess I'll finally read the stand.

Anyone reading Dark Tower or hearing a pod go through it in a somewhat deep analysis should check out Kingslayers. They're just starting Wizard and Glass.(Also this is spoiler free as one of the two hosts has never read the books.)

Also Kingcast just started and they're bringing on celebrities and people in pop culture to do a podcast on a King book and it's adaptation. This week they did something different and had the guy who was doing the Amazon series that didn't get picked on and they talked about the unaired pilot and what his plans were for the whole series. Really interesting listen and I think it would have been in good hands and sooo much different than the movie.

It's so close between it and 11/22/63 for my favorite of all of King.

Last edited:

FnordChan

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Between Kingslayers podcast going through the dark tower, the Kingcast coming out I decided to jump back in to some older King I still haven't read. I wasn't getting enough pandemic depression so I guess I'll finally read the stand.

A pal of mine who wanted a King suggestion to use an Audible credit on just started in on The Stand and she was so enthused talking about it that I'm joining in with her. It's definitely on point for a pandemic, though in my case I'd read it enough times that revisiting The Stand is practically comfort reading. Let us know how you enjoy it!

Anyone reading Dark Tower or hearing a pod go through it in a somewhat deep analysis should check out Kingslayers. They're just starting Wizard and Glass.

Thanks for the recommendation! Another good podcast going through The Dark Tower in detail is Radio Free Midworld. It's from half of the team behind Bonfireside Chat and has a mix of Constant Readers and series newbies discussing the series, along with other King novels. Sadly, things appear to have gone on hiatus around the start of Book 7, but I'd still recommend checking 'em out.

Mana Latte

Banned
Jul 6, 2019
I need some help getting back into The Stand. At 52% according to my kindle but I hit a wall. I want to continue since I dedicated time but it's just getting hard

Mana Latte

Banned
Jul 6, 2019
Give a little background on what's happening at that point.

Stu and Glen just had a convo about instilling government within Boulder.

I should also add that at this point I have no favorite character. Personally no one stands out except maybe Flagg but I feel nothing. Anyone could die and it's just eh. I mostly want to finish because I'm already halfway through

Last edited:

Mana Latte

Banned
Jul 6, 2019
That's not really much to go on. I assume both sides are consolidating power? Surely there's some interesting character arcs being fleshed out by now. Are you finding it just boring, or is there something else about the story that's not grabbing you?

Sorry. Between that and trash can man tagging along with the kid that's the most I have to go on. I wouldn't say it's boring but I just feel the overarching narrative isn't there for me. It's just kind of plodding along

Mana Latte

Banned
Jul 6, 2019
Yeah...sounds like you should give it a rest then. If you're not invested in the main characters, and there are quite a few, then it's probably not for you.

Fair. I appreciate the advice. It's not that I already had my mind made up but I am genuinely conflicted about it and wanted advice. I just hate dropping books, especially from authors I look up to

SirMossyBloke

Oct 26, 2017
Sure there is:

91onrMpprJL.jpg

It's well out of print and was only available on audio cassette but in 1988 or so The Gunslinger and Drawing of the Three were issued as audiobooks read by King himself.

My mother owns this. Listened to it when I was a kid, and realised I hated it lol. Much preferred pretty much anything else he's done.

Oct 31, 2017
Stu and Glen just had a convo about instilling government within Boulder.

I should also add that at this point I have no favorite character. Personally no one stands out except maybe Flagg but I feel nothing. Anyone could die and it's just eh. I mostly want to finish because I'm already halfway through
Weird, I also started reading The Stand about 2 months ago due to our current times and I literally got to the exact same point as you mention here and put it down also. I haven't read any of it in probably over a month at this point, even though I was really enjoying it, probably even more than you, based on what you've described.

I like King and have read several (but not the majority) of his books. IT is probably my favorite novel in general, so it's weird that I hit this wall with The Stand. I'm also curious as to whether this is just a lull and it picks back up.

I found the first third of the book, the set-up, incredibly gripping. But this middle section really kind of slowed way down and is more meandering and I lost focus. Unlike you, I actually happened to like several of the various characters pretty well. Fanny, Stu, Randall Flagg, Larry.

For those who've read (and re-read it) it's probably worth finishing though, right?

Mana Latte

Banned
Jul 6, 2019
Weird, I also started reading The Stand about 2 months ago due to our current times and I literally got to the exact same point as you mention here and put it down also. I haven't read any of it in probably over a month at this point, even though I was really enjoying it, probably even more than you, based on what you've described.

I like King and have read several (but not the majority) of his books. IT is probably my favorite novel in general, so it's weird that I hit this wall with The Stand. I'm also curious as to whether this is just a lull and it picks back up.

I found the first third of the book, the set-up, incredibly gripping. But this middle section really kind of slowed way down and is more meandering and I lost focus. Unlike you, I actually happened to like several of the various characters pretty well. Fanny, Stu, Randall Flagg, Larry.

For those who've read (and re-read it) it's probably worth finishing though, right?

Are you reading physical or e-book? Im
Reading on my paper white and kind of feeling that I'm focusing less vs a physical book. I wonder if I get the physical copy it might oddly help

Leo

Oct 27, 2017
So I finished Cycle of the Werewolf last week, and am about to finish Firestarter now. Both are books that were out of print in Brazil since before I was born, you could find them used but I don't go through that kinda trouble when I have other stuff to read. They were republished here recently, so I had to check them out and fill this blank.

Cycle of the Werewolf is... Alright? I mean, it's basically an illustration book. The pictures are cool but there isn't much story in here, and the little there is, isn't particularly thrilling either. I was able to tell the identity of the Werewolf very early on. It's definitely one of the least interesting books I've read by King, but at least it's super short and there isn't even time to feel bored. I feel it's a missed opportunity because I like its concept so much, King should do something like that again, but elaborate much more this time.

Firestarter is a great book. It isn't one of King's best, but that means it's still a great book. I never knew it was so popular in the US, in Brazil it was mostly unknown until they released it again, and I don't think many people know the movie either. I always had the impression it's kind of comfort food King, and it is, it doesn't add anything new nor is it essencial, but I'm glad I finally had the opportunity to read it, because I've read most of his early work at this point and they all have an unique charm about them.

FnordChan

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017

I'm currently a bit over halfway through my fifth or so re-read of The Stand, so I'm certainly a fan and would encourage folks to keep with it, with the caveat that the first half of the novel is stronger than the second. I like the second half quite a lot, mind you, it's just hard to beat the first third or so of the novel where the apocalypse is being depicted in detail. I will say that the middle of the novel (at least the expanded edition) has some fairly drawn out sections that are a bit of a slog, but hopefully once you get over the hump things will chug along nicely for you from there.