• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 31, 2017
I'm currently a bit over halfway through my fifth or so re-read of The Stand, so I'm certainly a fan and would encourage folks to keep with it, with the caveat that the first half of the novel is stronger than the second. I like the second half quite a lot, mind you, it's just hard to beat the first third or so of the novel where the apocalypse is being depicted in detail. I will say that the middle of the novel (at least the expanded edition) has some fairly drawn out sections that are a bit of a slog, but hopefully once you get over the hump things will chug along nicely for you from there.
I'm reading the second, expanded edition and actually read a chapter last night. Just got to Chapter 51, a bit after page 700. I figure it will pick back up and that I'm just in the "eye of the storm", more or less.

Just how different are the two versions of the book? An additional 50% (400 pages or so) to the initial print is quite a bit. I might read it at some point, depending on how I feel once I (hopefully) finish this.

I've never seen the tv series either.

FnordChan

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Beautiful Chapel Hill, NC
Just how different are the two versions of the book? An additional 50% (400 pages or so) to the initial print is quite a bit. I might read it at some point, depending on how I feel once I (hopefully) finish this.

I've never read the original version so I can't really say. On the one hand, I did hit a couple of points in the middle of the novel where things slowed down a bit, so the original edition probably has faster pacing if nothing else. On the other hand, part of what I love about The Stand is all the time we get to spend with such a large cast of characters, so I wouldn't want to see any of it removed and am very glad that King was able to get the full version published eventually - even if his attempts to update things to 1990 are kinda variable.

Here's a short video - filmed in the social distancing style of three decades ago - that King made to be distributed to booksellers, explaining why The Stand was cut in the first place and discussing some of the changes that had been made and the process for reintegrating everything into the updated edition:

CrichtonKicks

Oct 25, 2017
I've never read the uncut edition of the Stand (I read the original not long before Uncut was released). Did King update the time period references so it feels like it's taking place in the early '90s as opposed to the '70s?

FnordChan

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Beautiful Chapel Hill, NC
I've never read the uncut edition of the Stand (I read the original not long before Uncut was released). Did King update the time period references so it feels like it's taking place in the early '90s as opposed to the '70s?

Somewhat. King adjusts dates throughout and adds in allusions to the pop culture of the era here and there. However, there are also large swaths of the book, including the slang and musical references, that are directly out of the late 1970s, so there's a bit of a disconnect going on there. Nothing major, mind you, and certainly not a deal breaker. I'd describe the attempt as entertainingly janky.

CrichtonKicks

Oct 25, 2017
Somewhat. King adjusts dates throughout and adds in allusions to the pop culture of the era here and there. However, there are also large swaths of the book, including the slang and musical references, that are directly out of the late 1970s, so there's a bit of a disconnect going on there. Nothing major, mind you, and certainly not a deal breaker. I'd describe the attempt as entertainingly janky.

Thanks. I was just curious. I'm definitely going to read the uncut version someday.

Mana Latte

Banned
Jul 6, 2019
Picked up the physical copy of The Stand and it's been much more enjoyable than the kindle as weird as it may be. Oddly enough once the committee was formed and they tried to install a government I felt the pace was much better for me

Survivortype

May 2, 2018
Van City
Just finished up Salem's Lot last night. Didn't even realize that the short story, Jerusalem's Lot, is the same setting. Only realized when I got to end of Salem's Lot and it's tacked on the end.

Mana Latte

Banned
Jul 6, 2019
Finished The Stand. Overall liked it but it was draggy in some spots. Am planning on going through The Dark Tower Series now. Or IT I'm not sure

Tophat Jones

Alt Account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Just came across the thread. About halfway through The Stand myself. Trashcan just spent a memorable night with The Kid.

It's my second time reading it, but I'm surprised how much I've forgotten. Great book.

Hamchan

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Finished If It Bleeds. A solid collection of short stories. If I had to rank them:

1. Rat. Stephen King writes about an author in a bad situation. I think King must thrive when he writes about writing because I loved it.

2. If it Bleeds. I went into this only having read Mr Mercedes and having watched The Outsider tv show, and I think that was the bare minimum that was necessary to get something out of it. Holly is an interesting character and I look forward to finishing the Bill Hodges trilogy in the future to see more of her.

3. Mr Harrigan's Phone - A decent coming of age story that might or might not be spooky.

4. The Life of Chuck - I loved the first third of the story and it reminded me of something that would be seen in a Black Mirror episode. The second part felt entirely disconnected from the other parts. The final part reminded me of the curiosity and spookiness I would see in things as a child. It was also another decent idea that could work as its own thing. Ultimately they all felt disconnected from each other but someone else might get more from it.

Reading Rat inspired me to pick up and finish Misery, which I had not read yet. I devoured it in two days and this might be the most horrific and brutal book I have read of King's yet, and none of it was supernatural. Stephen King must have hated his old author self that took drugs because jeez, he puts the main character through so much. Annie Wilkes is a great villain and I might watch the movie now to see an oscar worthy portrayl of her. Needless to say I love this book.

Next might be The Institute, which I hear is pretty great.

Fancy Clown

Oct 25, 2017
Salems Lot remains my favorite Stephen King novel. The small town sprawl, the way he uses classic Stoker vampire tropes and makes them terrifying again, the slowly spreading sense of dread. So good. He has books with better characters, but his use of the town makes up for that here.

I don't think I've read One For the Road yet, I should probably get on that.

karmaforgotme

Oct 27, 2017
Knoxville, TN
Salems Lot remains my favorite Stephen King novel. The small town sprawl, the way he uses classic Stoker vampire tropes and makes them terrifying again, the slowly spreading sense of dread. So good. He has books with better characters, but his use of the town makes up for that here.

I don't think I've read One For the Road yet, I should probably get on that.

Agreed on Salem's Lot. I re-read it every few years, and it is the book I have re-read the most in my life (Barker's Books of Blood might be second). The combination of Haunting of Hill House (Marsten House), Dracula, and as King said himself Peyton Place is perfect. I loved the glimpses of the underbelly of small town life before everything goes to hell.

I have always thought King should write 2 prequels (I have said this before and maybe even on this forum). One to Salem's Lot and the other would be to The Shining. The Shining prequel could focus on the early years of the Overlook (I wonder if this is what the HBO Max show is going to do), while Salem's Lot would focus on Hubie Marsten. One thing King does well is give glimpses of history of the places he creates. It makes me want to know more.

OP
OP
Dalek

Dalek

Oct 25, 2017
Finally finished Revival.

I have thoughts on it-literally just finished it. I think it's incredibly well written. It's probably one of his best written books. Of course-the ending is just out of this world classic and unforgettable.

That said-I feel like the book drags for a very long time. It's not bad, mind you-but there's the opening sequence set during Jamie's Childhood-and the phenomenal ending. Everything else in between is good but pretty uneventful for the most part. I thoroughly enjoyed it but that entire time I kept wondering how they could possibly make a movie about this because for a great deal of time it's just meandering about.

Mana Latte

Banned
Jul 6, 2019
Just finished The Gunslinger now onto The Drawing of Three. I thought Gunslinger was good just kinda vague. Like I don't consider myself bad with comprehension but I feel like it went over my head when
Jake
died. But overall I feel it was better than some people give it credit for

OP
OP
Dalek

Dalek

Oct 25, 2017
Just finished The Gunslinger now onto The Drawing of Three. I thought Gunslinger was good just kinda vague. Like I don't consider myself bad with comprehension but I feel like it went over my head when
Jake
died. But overall I feel it was better than some people give it credit for

Don't worry-there will be more context to Roland's actions there in that regards.

RedMercury

Blue Venus
Dec 24, 2017
Finished the third Dark Tower book (technically audiobook), really made me angry where it ended haha! So far the second book was the one I enjoyed most.

Tttssd1972

May 24, 2019
Was debating even bringing this up as King himself has yet to announce it, but this is the rumor currently floating around

Deleted member 4367

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm a pretty old school King reader but I never actually read Salem's Lot.

I read it last weekend and it was quite good. Reading it in the wilderness at night with just a head lamp by the fire was quite nice atmosphere.

Dr. Nick Riviera

alt account
Banned
Apr 30, 2020
I'm a pretty old school King reader but I never actually read Salem's Lot.

I read it last weekend and it was quite good. Reading it in the wilderness at night with just a head lamp by the fire was quite nice atmosphere.
Definitely one of my favorites. Much better than the 70s TV version with Hutch and the goofy blue vampires.

Deleted member 4367

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Definitely one of my favorites. Much better than the 70s TV version with Hutch and the goofy blue vampires.
I read the synopsis of both TV versions and they changed the weirdest shit. Especially the newer Rob Lowe version.

I'm not someone who often whines about changes to books. I think Kubrick improved the story with his version of the Shining.

But the synopsis of the newer one just reads like absolute nonsense. I need to watch it to just see how bad it really is.

Dr. Nick Riviera

alt account
Banned
Apr 30, 2020
I read the synopsis of both TV versions and they changed the weirdest shit. Especially the newer Rob Lowe version.

I'm not someone who often whines about changes to books. I think Kubrick improved the story with his version of the Shining.

But the synopsis of the newer one just reads like absolute nonsense. I need to watch it to just see how bad it really is.
I forgot about that one. Never even gave it a glance.

Deleted member 4367

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I forgot about that one. Never even gave it a glance.
It opens with:

Ben Mears attacks priest Donald Callahan in a homeless shelter in Detroit on Thanksgiving. As they corner each other in Callahan's office, the priest shoots Mears, who then shoves them both out a window onto the street (more specifically, onto a police car). In the hospital where he and Callahan are taken, Ben is asked by an orderly why, as a Christian himself, he shouldn't just let Ben die for attacking a priest. Ben then murmurs, "Jerusalem's Lot," and begins to tell his story.

Like. What.

Oct 26, 2017
UK
Pennywise also appears in The Tommyknockers though I think that might have been an hallucination.

Also the opening line of It alludes to the possibility It wasn't truly dead.

The terror, which would not end for another twenty-eight years — if it ever did end

I'm skeptical the rumour is true however.

Tttssd1972

May 24, 2019
Pennywise also appears in The Tommyknockers though I think that might have been an hallucination.

Also the opening line of It alludes to the possibility It wasn't truly dead.

I'm skeptical the rumour is true however.
Damn, my favorite book and I completely forgot about that line 😂. Oh 100%, I have no idea what direction King would ever go for a sequel book. IT is my favorite book by far from King, I've read it more times than I can recount. That being, I would love to see the doors he would go down for a sequel.

Memento Mori

Oct 26, 2017
It's definitely Pennywise in The Tommyknockers as one person hears laughter coming from drains in Derry Hospital and a completely different person sees full-on clown Pennywise while driving through Derry. That's not necessarily the same universe as the Derry in It though.

Run Goku

Oct 25, 2017
Was debating even bringing this up as King himself has yet to announce it, but this is the rumor currently floating around

Holy shit WHAT.

Let's not forget the "Pennywise Lives" graffiti in Dreamcatcher, if that was meant to be anything other than a cute reference.

The only thing that concerns me about a sequel is that IT is one instance where SK absolutely stuck the landing. It has the perfect bittersweet ending with everything wrapped up perfectly. Why risk that with a sequel?

On the other hand, it's my favorite book, so I absolutely want to read a sequel.