• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Mana Latte

Banned
Jul 6, 2019
I just finished IT and while it wasn't my favorite to read per se, it's my favorite story so far I think. It's not that I didn't enjoy the book because I did but it could get a little long in the tooth. But I am fascinated with Pennywise and how IT came to really be

Oct 26, 2017
UK
Holy shit WHAT.

Let's not forget the "Pennywise Lives" graffiti in Dreamcatcher, if that was meant to be anything other than a cute reference.

The only thing that concerns me about a sequel is that IT is one instance where SK absolutely stuck the landing. It has the perfect bittersweet ending with everything wrapped up perfectly. Why risk that with a sequel?

On the other hand, it's my favorite book, so I absolutely want to read a sequel.

Disagree. While I love the book overall, like most of his work I found the ending pretty blah.

tadale

Oct 25, 2017
Atlanta
Finally finished Revival.

I have thoughts on it-literally just finished it. I think it's incredibly well written. It's probably one of his best written books. Of course-the ending is just out of this world classic and unforgettable.

That said-I feel like the book drags for a very long time. It's not bad, mind you-but there's the opening sequence set during Jamie's Childhood-and the phenomenal ending. Everything else in between is good but pretty uneventful for the most part. I thoroughly enjoyed it but that entire time I kept wondering how they could possibly make a movie about this because for a great deal of time it's just meandering about.

I just finished Revival as well, and I mostly agree with your take here. I skipped over it when it came out because I expected a Frankenstein-like story, but it most definitely is not that.

I think the slow burn for the large majority of the book - literally like 2/3s of the book - serves to make the punch of the ending land extra hard. I've read most of his work at this point and I think Revival ranks among the best endings he's ever done. It also helps that I've had a lot of time to read recently and I managed to get through the book in a couple of days, so it didn't feel like as much of a drag.

Oct 26, 2017
UK
I was actually shocked how well Salem's Lot ended. Even though he technically ended it how he ended almost all of his earlier books (blow it all up/burn it all down) it was done in a fairly nice way.

Generally I find with his books, the main evil is defeated but the book carries on a little bit to long after, obviously some people are gonna enjoy it still which is great but I'm always feeling like ahh pennywise is defeated why is there still so many pages left? The Stand was another where once Flagg was defeated I wasn't super concerned about Stu getting back anymore.

Still as the great man has said himself the journey is the important part and the journey are all mostly fantastic.

Under the dome was another where the ending dragged.

CrichtonKicks

Oct 25, 2017
I was actually shocked how well Salem's Lot ended. Even though he technically ended it how he ended almost all of his earlier books (blow it all up/burn it all down) it was done in a fairly nice way.

Man, I disagree with that. I love Salem's Lot but I think it has one of his most anti-climactic endings. It just kind of whimpered to a conclusion IMO.

Gawge

Oct 27, 2017
I feel an IT prequel, focused on Bob Gray, might be something that could work.

A prequel can work when it's long before the original (so not directly leading into it), and also providing it doesn't attempt to give too many answers about IT.

Maybe a better fit for a film with Skarsgard rather than Stevie doing a book on it though.

Run Goku

Oct 25, 2017
Disagree. While I love the book overall, like most of his work I found the ending pretty blah.

Was it too long of an ending for you, or just, like, conceptually? I liked it because I felt that for a book of 1k+ pages where a monster has been part of a town for so long, the ending needed to be appropriately cataclysmic. And then for characters that we've spent so much time with, I didn't want to leave them right away. God that last page brings a tear to my eye every time.

Oct 26, 2017
UK
Was it too long of an ending for you, or just, like, conceptually? I liked it because I felt that for a book of 1k+ pages where a monster has been part of a town for so long, the ending needed to be appropriately cataclysmic. And then for characters that we've spent so much time with, I didn't want to leave them right away. God that last page brings a tear to my eye every time.

Yeah, I mean maybe I'm misremembering, but it felt like pennywise was defeated and then the book just went on for ages after that.

Run Goku

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, I mean maybe I'm misremembering, but it felt like pennywise was defeated and then the book just went on for ages after that.

You're not wrong, there's a fair amount of aftermath haha.

Also this isn't exactly new but has everyone here seen this article reviewing the Dark Tower pilot?

www.liljas-library.com

Lilja's Library: My Thoughts About The Dark Tower Pilot

I got a chance to watch the unaired pilot for The Dark Tower series and here are my thoughts about it. This pilot has a lot that I missed from the movie version. The cast looks like they would have pulled it off and the plans Mazzara had for it could have, if done correctly, made this series the...

It's interesting to see what might've been.

Oct 26, 2017
UK
You're not wrong, there's a fair amount of aftermath haha.

Also this isn't exactly new but has everyone here seen this article reviewing the Dark Tower pilot?

www.liljas-library.com

Lilja's Library: My Thoughts About The Dark Tower Pilot

I got a chance to watch the unaired pilot for The Dark Tower series and here are my thoughts about it. This pilot has a lot that I missed from the movie version. The cast looks like they would have pulled it off and the plans Mazzara had for it could have, if done correctly, made this series the...

It's interesting to see what might've been.

Damm not read any of that before, thats a real shame sounds pretty promising to me.

OP
OP
Dalek

Dalek

Oct 25, 2017
Does that rumor have any credibility? It seems like it just comes from a random Youtuber.

Tttssd1972

May 24, 2019
Does that rumor have any credibility? It seems like it just comes from a random Youtuber.

this was the original source of the rumor. They were teasing it since 6/29/2020 saying Stephen King was supposed to announce it himself. Not sure of the OG posters credibility, but people have said they are good. Apparently King is supposed to announce it any day.

Oct 26, 2017

this was the original source of the rumor. They were teasing it since 6/29/2020 saying Stephen King was supposed to announce it himself. Not sure of the OG posters credibility, but people have said they are good. Apparently King is supposed to announce it any day.

He's due to announce something soon, anyway. Man doesn't go long without a book on the calendar.

OP
OP
Dalek

Dalek

Oct 25, 2017
I'm halfway done with End of Watch and I have to say it's a disappointment to me. The writing just seems very...basic and silly. Everything about the handheld game hypnotizing people is just dumb and the dialogue for nearly every character except for Hodges is just silly. No one talks like this.

newmoneytrash

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
I'm halfway done with End of Watch and I have to say it's a disappointment to me. The writing just seems very...basic and silly. Everything about the handheld game hypnotizing people is just dumb and the dialogue for nearly every character except for Hodges is just silly. No one talks like this.
i think that he is actively bad when it comes to technology based horror

RedMercury

Blue Venus
Dec 24, 2017
Wizard and Glass done! That was a real slog but the last third was great, really had no interest in reading a teenage love story and SK's description of adolescent erections and shit but when stuff pops off it's real good. Real anxious to get back on the path to the tower but I'm going to listen to Wind Through the Keyhole next, it's a lot shorter than W&G so might as well bang it out. Sucks that King is narrating it and not Muller but he had already passed away, it will be hard not hearing his voice.

The references at the end of W&G did feel a bit hokey to me but I get it, and most people probably enjoyed it. Also, Oy is the best.

RepairmanJack

Oct 27, 2017
I guess I'll be reading a spec script for a movie about the lunacy of King writing Maximum Overdrive.

Didn't know this was a thing until The Kingcast brought it up and they say it's great. King being coked up and being haunted by his own characters while he writes a crazy movie just sounds so damn fun.

bawjaws

Oct 28, 2017
i think that he is actively bad when it comes to technology based horror
I'd go a bit further and say that he's actively bad at doing anything more "modern" than his own age demographic. What used to help make King so good (cultural references and nods to stuff that he was familiar with) in his earlier works has become downright painful as he's got older and still tried to keep his finger on the pulse of the cultural zeitgeist. You see it the most jarringly with technological stuff - there's a line in The Outsider (I could go and look in the book for the exact quote, but I've vowed never to open it again) where he talks about Holly using her laptop to look up directions and it clunks more than almost anything else he's ever written. A completely spurious cultural reference to MapQuest or some other shit purely to show that he gets how computers work, man. It was fine when he was making reference to particular brands of beer from Maine or whatever, but it is pretty woeful when it's such an obvious attempt to be down with the kids.

I still love him as a writer, of course, but this is something that I wish he'd cut out 🤣

RepairmanJack

Oct 27, 2017
I'd go a bit further and say that he's actively bad at doing anything more "modern" than his own age demographic. What used to help make King so good (cultural references and nods to stuff that he was familiar with) in his earlier works has become downright painful as he's got older and still tried to keep his finger on the pulse of the cultural zeitgeist. You see it the most jarringly with technological stuff - there's a line in The Outsider (I could go and look in the book for the exact quote, but I've vowed never to open it again) where he talks about Holly using her laptop to look up directions and it clunks more than almost anything else he's ever written. A completely spurious cultural reference to MapQuest or some other shit purely to show that he gets how computers work, man. It was fine when he was making reference to particular brands of beer from Maine or whatever, but it is pretty woeful when it's such an obvious attempt to be down with the kids.

I still love him as a writer, of course, but this is something that I wish he'd cut out 🤣

I was too caught up in Holly coming in out of nowhere to speed up the plot and handle all the exposition so the story could move on.

Loved that book but then it was like he didn't know how to go into the next act and just brought in her to handle it all pretty easily. The first two thirds of that book and the last third just completely feel like two different books.

Biske

Nov 11, 2017
Been getting into king lately Bridging from Joe Hill who I love

I started with On Writing and then, If It Bleeds, then IT, really loving them. I'm on The Institute now.

King really has a talent for capturing the magic and excitement of regular people. There is a real down home kind of natural brilliance to his work

Mar Tuuk

Oct 31, 2017
Any word on Castle Rock? I loved seasons 1 + 2! Also really liked how they did Annie Wilkes in Season 2

OP
OP
Dalek

Dalek

Oct 25, 2017

Yeah this is all true. And he talks about Holly using her iPad to search for things all the time in the Bill Hodges trilogy-and Hodges always remarks that she's a genius. When all she's described doing are just thorough searches.

Bradbury

Oct 28, 2017
I just realized I only have 10 of King books left to read, so I put it on my goal for the year to finish them, starting with From a Buick 8 that I had lying around my bookshelve for years now

Dr. Nick Riviera

alt account
Banned
Apr 30, 2020
Yeah this is all true. And he talks about Holly using her iPad to search for things all the time in the Bill Hodges trilogy-and Hodges always remarks that she's a genius. When all she's described doing are just thorough searches.

To be fair, she IS a genius....to Hodges, who is basically a technological infant.

Dr. Nick Riviera

alt account
Banned
Apr 30, 2020
OK, I got a story for y'all. My mother-in-law recently got me "If It Bleeds" for my birthday and this past Sunday, I decided to dive in. I've only gotten through the first story, 'Mr. Harrigan's Phone'. I thought it was a decent tale, genuinely creepy, but a little disjointed. During the few hours that I was outside reading, my wife was inside in the A/C. I came in once during my read, and there was a voicemail on my landline (yes, we still have one). I listened to the voicemail, thought that it was a little strange, and deleted it. I went back out and finished off the book. When I came back inside, there were three more messages on the phone.

Here's the kicker: All four voicemails were supposedly from "Apple", requesting a callback to discuss my account. Sure, I know that it was a scam, or phishing, or whatever, but the timing was undoubtedly strange and definitely gave me the creeps for a few minutes. Those of you who have read the story will understand.

drive.google.com

voicemail.jpg

Tttssd1972

May 24, 2019
Finally finished Pet Sematary. Have no idea why I waited so long to read this King classic. I thoroughly enjoyed it. King has this magic ability to make you feel what the characters feel. I do not have kids, but Louis's interactions with Gage/Ellie and how it describes the love in his heart he feels towards them? Brilliant. The last 50pgs fllleeeewwwww by as Gage was brought back, and the chilling ending the epilogue with Rachel coming back and an ending of "Darling". Great read.

I was going to dive into some of King's other non-horror works, but ended up settling on another horror in' Revival'. My mother had picked it up for me a few years ago, but I've never gotten around to it. The reception towards it seems like it was overwhelmingly positive. I'll start digging into that one tomorrow.

Biske

Nov 11, 2017
I just finished: The Institute.

Damn. One of my favorite books ever. It's just so good and he's firing on every level here in terms of how tight it is and making you care about each character and well written villains. Played me like a fiddle and had to hold back the tears at the end while I was listening out on my walk.

Mistle

Oct 25, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
I'm nearing the end of The Institute myself, and it's my first attempt at audiobooks ever. The narrator is doing a great job but throughout the book I just feel like I've missed so much. Totally my fault, not the format. Sometimes I'll zone out or get distracted. I mainly listen while driving and the amount of focus on the road has just meant sometimes the story becomes background noise.

That said I'm still thoroughly enjoying The Institute, I just wish I had read it instead of listened. I feel like it was good enough to deserve my full attention.

Biske

Nov 11, 2017
I'm nearing the end of The Institute myself, and it's my first attempt at audiobooks ever. The narrator is doing a great job but throughout the book I just feel like I've missed so much. Totally my fault, not the format. Sometimes I'll zone out or get distracted. I mainly listen while driving and the amount of focus on the road has just meant sometimes the story becomes background noise.

That said I'm still thoroughly enjoying The Institute, I just wish I had read it instead of listened. I feel like it was good enough to deserve my full attention.

Ah yeah, audiobooks are really hard for that. Generally I prefer audio books if its a 2nd time through the story, that way you can have those space out or distracted moments and not miss things. Lately I've been using the Library app (Libby) and I check out both the Audio and the Ebooks and switch back and forth as needed.

Or honestly if I feel I've missed something I skip back 30 seconds, a minute whatever. It is hard to escape that feeling of "did I miss a juicy line or bit during that last minute I blipped out on???

OP
OP
Dalek

Dalek

Oct 25, 2017
Is The Institute ok for a teen to read or does it have any violent sex things? My daughter wants to read King books and I wondered if this was good for her. She's 13 but reads at an older level.

Deleted member 25606

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Jesus, Holly is so annoying in End of Watch.
While I don't despise her the way others do, beyond Mr. Mercedes I am not really fond of her and when
she shows up in the outsider (which I actually liked a lot, more than most including the end except...)... holly, I was like not this book too.

Don't get why King has such a hard on for her. I haven't read If it Bleeds yet partly because I heard one of the stories featured her pretty heavily.

Tappin Brews

#TeamThierry
Oct 25, 2017
local library had the dead zone, read it on a whim. the connection between stillson and our current leadership were not lost on me. an interesting 2020 read, rather liked it.

Fancy Clown

Oct 25, 2017
Kinda slogging through the third Dark Tower book. It's not bad, but it's been a come down after the second one. I also think I prefer horror King to fantasy King (well, I prefer horror to fantasy in general).

Deleted member 25606

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
local library had the dead zone, read it on a whim. the connection between stillson and our current leadership were not lost on me. an interesting 2020 read, rather liked it.
I always feel like Dead Zone is quite overlooked, though it is understated compared to the rest of his work from that era. One of my top five king books to be honest though I think I am in the minority with that opinion, like I am in a...dead zone.

Logistic

Oct 30, 2017
OK, I got a story for y'all. My mother-in-law recently got me "If It Bleeds" for my birthday and this past Sunday, I decided to dive in. I've only gotten through the first story, 'Mr. Harrigan's Phone'. I thought it was a decent tale, genuinely creepy, but a little disjointed. During the few hours that I was outside reading, my wife was inside in the A/C. I came in once during my read, and there was a voicemail on my landline (yes, we still have one). I listened to the voicemail, thought that it was a little strange, and deleted it. I went back out and finished off the book. When I came back inside, there were three more messages on the phone.

Here's the kicker: All four voicemails were supposedly from "Apple", requesting a callback to discuss my account. Sure, I know that it was a scam, or phishing, or whatever, but the timing was undoubtedly strange and definitely gave me the creeps for a few minutes. Those of you who have read the story will understand.

drive.google.com

voicemail.jpg

Mr. Harrigan's Phone was the only one I read before my rental expired. This coincidence would have scared the hell out of me.

Tappin Brews

#TeamThierry
Oct 25, 2017
I always feel like Dead Zone is quite overlooked, though it is understated compared to the rest of his work from that era. One of my top five king books to be honest though I think I am in the minority with that opinion, like I am in a...dead zone.

i knew nothing about it but still somehow approached it cautiously, as if i subconsciously picked up that it was a turd. it absolutely wasn't. i really liked the main character, johnny, and he seemed to really fit into the king universe with his own case of the shinning.