• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

headspawn

Oct 27, 2017
People actually arguing that this makes sense is bizarre to me... it doesn't benefit Nintendo in any possible way and doesn't lessen their IP at all either, it's simply missed exposure.

Spinluck

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Chicago
Does Smash cheapen all the non Nintendo brands in it?

edit: my bad misread

although i will say, Smash is coveted because of its quality and how Nintendo carries its power over IP.

Fortnite will just let any IP it can make money off of in the door which isn't the case for Smash.

Last edited:

Hero

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I don't really consider a remake to be doing anything with the IP. Its great, but Dread was proper goodness.

And Prime4 got rebooted five and a half years ago.

I mean you're forgetting the Metroid II remake for some reason and Metroid Prime Remastered is one of the highest rated games of last year but I guess we're being weird about it and thinking that just because Nintendo isn't milking Samus with yearly iterations they should just license her out to whoever when it doesn't benefit them to do so.

Piccoro

Nov 20, 2017
After MS and Sony allowed Master Chief and Kratos on all platforms, it seems extra scummy from Nintendo.

I mean you're forgetting the Metroid II remake for some reason and Metroid Prime Remastered is one of the highest rated games of last year but I guess we're being weird about it and thinking that just because Nintendo isn't milking Samus with yearly iterations they should just license her out to whoever when it doesn't benefit them to do so.
Is it really support when it's not eight games in as many years like we had in the 00s?!?

Honestly, Nintendo kinda tired everyone out with how much they tried to force Metroid into being a bigger thing than it actually could have been.

May 26, 2023
God you're an idiot
metriod dread isnt a mainline game? huh..

I was giving Nintendo the benefit of the doubt and counting Other M as a mainline Metroid game. And that was in 2010. Dread came out 11 years later.

If I was being precious I would say Dread was the first real Metroid game since Prime 3, which was 3 years before that.

I'm not sure why I'd count games I've already played as new games.

NukeRunner

Feb 8, 2024
Is it really support when it's not eight games in as many years like we had in the 00s?!?

Honestly, Nintendo kinda tired everyone out with how much they tried to force Metroid into being a bigger thing than it actually could have been.

Remember when Zero Mission, Prime 2, Prime 3 and then Other M took over the sales world?

Me either.

Hero

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017

I'm going to encourage you to take a moment to stop and consider what the big difference between developing games in the 00s and developing games in the 10s and 20s are. I hope it does not take too long to come to the conclusion.

Metroid Samus Returns on 3DS is completely different than Metroid II.

May 26, 2023
God you're an idiot
Metroid Samus Returns on 3DS is completely different than Metroid II.

That's what I had heard before I bought it.

I didn't come away feeling that way. Same with Links Awakening, Prime Remaster, and everything else.

So it's not like I didn't try to get into the spirit of it. It just feels like retreading old ground for people who played the originals. For newcomers it's pretty sick, though.

Finiri6143

Mar 16, 2022
I was giving Nintendo the benefit of the doubt and counting Other M as a mainline Metroid game. And that was in 2010. Dread came out 11 years later.

If I was being precious I would say Dread was the first real Metroid game since Prime 3, which was 3 years before that.

Metroid Samus Returns is a remake/reimagining of Metroid 2.

TheRealTalker

Oct 25, 2017
Kinda Funny had a good point that Smash bros, especially Ultimate is basically others playing nice with Nintendo to use their I.Ps and characters but Nintendo doesn't like to play ball when it is the other way around and that although all games aren't really on the level of Smash, FortNite basically earned the right as a big enough cross over game.

I'm going to encourage you to take a moment to stop and consider what the big difference between developing games in the 00s and developing games in the 10s and 20s are. I hope it does not take too long to come to the conclusion.
I am not sure how you took a supportive statement to your argument as anything else, if I'm going to be honest. Did I need more exclamation points? Less question marks?

NukeRunner

Feb 8, 2024

I didn't come away feeling that way. Same with Links Awakening, Prime Remaster, and everything else.

So it's not like I didn't try to get into the spirit of it. It just feels like retreading old ground for people who played the originals. For newcomers it's pretty sick, though.

Then your recollection of the original release is extremely vague, the difference between the 3DS Metroid as a remake versus Prime and LA is night and day. The original GB game is more like reference material to a new game, it's almost entirely different aside from sharing a similar structure and basically acknowledging it is based on a previous entry. If one were to look at these like a spectrum, Prime 1 is a visual remake that is otherwise identical to the original release almost entirely, with FF7 remake being a vastly different game, and somewhere in the middle, there is the 3DS Metroid game. It's very possible you can love one and hate the other, which is proof enough I say.

Words can be challenging especially as they morph, it used to be acceptable to call a visual remake a remake, and an enhancement a remaster, which we saw many of on 360/PS3 and again going into PS4/XBONE. Recently, it seems a visual remake that is still the same game is a remaster, however Metroid 3DS is not a visual remaster, it's fundamentally a different game.

NaikoGames

Aug 1, 2022
fortnite of all places is not the place to make the Metroid IP more known imo.

it would help...maybe? is not like other games see bumps of sales by being on Fortnite, and most kids have a very short memory retention anyways

i think it wouldnt hurt either but knowing Nintendo's policy it probably wasnt worth that worth it for them.

Hero

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017

Okay you are straight up lying then because in no world is Metroid II the same as Metroid Samus Returns. Simply watching a YouTube video of both games will easily show you that. Why lie?

May 26, 2023
God you're an idiot
Okay you are straight up lying then because in no world is Metroid II the same as Metroid Samus Returns. Simply watching a YouTube video of both games will easily show you that. Why lie?

"Your opinion clashes with mine, so you must be lying."

Nintendo fan being classy challenge: impossible.

Just because they added more twists and turns to routes (like to the alpha metroid), opened up certain areas, or did a few tweaks doesn't mean it's an entirely new game.

Hero

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I am not sure how you took a supportive statement to your argument as anything else, if I'm going to be honest. Did I need more exclamation points? Less question marks?

My apologies but unfortunately discourse can get so bad that sometimes I don't know when people are actually being serious about what they are typing.

vio55555

Apr 11, 2024
I dont think it benefits either in a way they would accept. Nintendo wants their brand only on their machine, Epic doesnt want exclusive skins in their game when they are so big everywhere. Hence, no deal.
This is pretty much the correct take.

Microsoft and Sony both had no problems with players on other systems using their characters in Fortnite. Stupidly short sighted of Nintendo, in my opinion.
Because Microsoft and Sony don't have all the other ways of advertising their characters that Nintendo has.

That's the difference, Nintendo has all sorts of other ways to put their characters in front of millions of people, Microsoft/Sony don't so they basically have to take whatever terms they can get.

Hero

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017

Just because they added more twists and turns to routes (like to the alpha metroid), opened up certain areas, or did a few tweaks doesn't mean it's an entirely new game.

It is 100% entirely a new game or are you going to sit here and argue that Final Fantasy VII Rebirth is the same thing as Final Fantasy VII?

NukeRunner

Feb 8, 2024

Because Microsoft and Sony don't have all the other ways of advertising their characters that Nintendo has.

That's the difference, Nintendo has all sorts of other ways to put their characters in front of millions of people, Microsoft/Sony don't so they basically have to take whatever terms they can get.

I personally think Kratos cereal would be a big hit with older cereal enjoyers, look at all the lost revenue dumb Sony is leaving on the table /s

Renna Hazel

Oct 27, 2017

People told you Link's Awakening and Prime Remaster were drastically different games from the original?

Prime Remastered says otherwise in the title.

Derbel McDillet

▲ Legend ▲
Nov 23, 2022

What exactly is preventing Sony and Microsoft from advertising their characters in front of millions that solely Nintendo has access to?

May 26, 2023
God you're an idiot
People told you Link's Awakening and Prime Remaster were drastically different games from the original?

Prime Remastered says otherwise in the title.

Prime probably a bad example.

Links Awakening was being gushed over as "i didn't like the original, but the remake is so much more!" and I didn't really find that to be the case. The 4 buttons WAS better than the Game Boy 2 button setup.

May 26, 2023
God you're an idiot
I mean, no one is telling you to like it. AM2R is more faithful to the original progression of 2 than SR is, and that's still a pretty radical departure at times itself.

Yeah, I agree with all of this. They clearly felt the map wasn't complex enough, but the bones of the original still stick out from time to time.

I posted the opinion that I didn't get a lot out of Samus Returns and *checks notes* got called a liar and explained to why I was wrong for thinking it was just fine

Kirbivore

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I think something being consistent doesn't necessarily mean it makes sense. The decision is consistent with how Nintendo has protected their IP in the past. Nintendo resisted putting Pokemon and Mario on the iPhone despite nearly a decade of consumer and investor demand, until they absolutely needed to print money in 2016, and they did, and they printed money from it.

If Nintendo isn't in a position where they need to print money, then they won't change their IP model. Then when the times get lean they'll release Mario branded cereal again and release a Mario skin for Tarkov and make Princess Peach a playable character in GTA Online. But the reason that people want Mario, Samus, or Peach to appear in other games is because of how protective Nintendo is of their IP. They generally don't license their characters to shit products or let other companies potentially damage their IP in a way that they couldn't tightly control. They have very high demand for their IP, they limit it, and so when they need to print money when the company isn't doing well, then they turn the money print machine on.

I'm pretty sure Pokemon was on iPhone prior to 2016, and that wasn't their decision, but TPC's primarily

NukeRunner

Feb 8, 2024
Yeah, I agree with all of this.

I posted the opinion that I didn't get a lot out of Samus Returns and *checks notes* got called a liar and explained to why I was wrong for thinking it was just fine

You were being called a liar because you can literally be proven wrong, it isn't a matter of opinion or feeling in this instance is all, I can't say OOT and MM are the same game because I feel they are, it can be debunked instantly.

Samus Returns is closer to a new game than a faithful remaster on almost all metrics, and the game has been heavily debated as both vastly inferior, and vastly superior within the fanbase since, with AM2R being in the same boat.

NukeRunner

Feb 8, 2024
"We can prove you liked it more than you say."

K buddy. Nintendo fans, jesus christ.

I'd like to point out that on average, it takes most people twice as long to beat the 3DS remake in contrast to the original, this factors initial playthroughs, modern long plays and speed runs, etc, as well. Come on now.

Last edited:

Kirbivore

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I feel like we somehow went off topic despite the fact that we're still talking about Metroid

LAA

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Don't know how this thread has gone on this long ha.

I don't find it very surprising tbh, especially from Nintendo.
Ironically, Samus is one of the characters from Nintendo I think would actually fit in Fortnite seeing she's from a universe with guns and etc. There's a lot of IP/chracters in fortnite that wouldn't even know what a gun is, nevermind use them, which creates some ludonarrative disonance for me, but at the same time, I can't help but think it's cool to have a game with the amount of characters from multiple IP it has.
The reason why Nintendo supposedly blocked it is an unrealistic one, but I do also wish more companies would be more protective of their IP too, like why would Kratos, Goku, Batman, etc. all go around gunning people down, and then the emotes which break their character ha, but I guess it's all for fun in the end, so can't feel too strongly about it. In one way, Samus is saved from that indignity ha, on the other hand, no Samus in fortnite.

Renna Hazel

Oct 27, 2017
"We can prove you liked it more than you say."

K buddy. Nintendo fans, jesus christ.
Maybe some wires are being crossed here, but people were calling you out for saying Samus Returns is a 1:1 remaster similar to Link's Awakening and Metroid Prime.

No one is telling you how much you did or didn't like the game.

If I said Mario 3 and Mario 64 are the same game, that's not an opinion. That's just me saying something incorrect.

Teamocil

Oct 25, 2017
People upset at a fictional character being in a fictional game because it "doesn't fit" need to stop being weird. Nothing in Fortnite is canon to these characters and them being in the game just means you can ignore its existence entirely

NukeRunner

Feb 8, 2024
Well now that you say THAT…

"Nintendo just releases the same games over and over and its fanbase just laps it up" is practically one of this site's Ten Commandments isn't it?

Yes, it's comically stupid especially in a world where actual non stop iteration exist, but it's clearly not done from a basis of good faith that's for sure. If you never actually play the games, it's easy to say 'wow, more Mario duh', but there is a reason Nintendo fanbases tend to be divided quite a bit.

mael

Avenger
Nov 3, 2017
Was Samus Return so long ago that people forget how the game is or something?
Did I play the wrong version of Metroid II on OGB that's supposed to be exactly like Samus Return?
Man, I always play the wrong versions!
Maybe some wires are being crossed here, but people were calling you out for saying Samus Returns is a 1:1 remaster similar to Link's Awakening and Metroid Prime.

No one is telling you how much you did or didn't like the game.

If I said Mario 3 and Mario 64 are the same game, that's not an opinion. That's just me saying something incorrect.
Shit I even played the wrong version of SMB3!
I didn't play the one where you collect stars to progress!

NukeRunner

Feb 8, 2024
Was Samus Return so long ago that people forget how the game is or something?
Did I play the wrong version of Metroid II on OGB that's supposed to be exactly like Samus Return?
Man, I always play the wrong versions!

Shit I even played the wrong version of SMB3!
I didn't play the one where you collect stars to progress!

It really depends, did you FEEL they were the same despite all evidence to the contrary?

Vaenyr

▲ Legend ▲
Mar 16, 2019

Samus Returns features some entirely new areas, bosses and abilities. That's not a matter of "opinion", it's a simple fact.

You can say that the game didn't do enough to differentiate itself from the original; that would be a valid opinion. But to make the assertion that it's like LAHD or MP Remastered (and thus a faithful 1:1 remake) is objectively incorrect.

mael

Avenger
Nov 3, 2017
It really depends, did you FEEL they were the same despite all evidence to the contrary?
Samus Returns felt way more like Metroid IV than Metroid II to me but still.
I wish I could play that version of Samus returns that's just modern Metroid II.
I just might have got a wrong copy.

vio55555

Apr 11, 2024
What exactly is preventing Sony and Microsoft from advertising their characters in front of millions that solely Nintendo has access to?
Okay, here's the biggest example: AAA premium theme park experiences.

Think about how many tens of millions of people every year are going to be going through Universal's parks and experiencing Super Nintendo World in the coming decades, a high budget, premium experience of Nintendo IPs at one of the top 2 theme park operators in the world.

Nintendo can afford to curate their experiences because some of the things that they can do with their IPs, nobody else can. Nobody's beating down the door at Sony or Microsoft to spend hundreds of millions on theme park experiences for them like Universal is for Nintendo.