• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 25, 2017
Australia. Nintendo Land
latest

Is there enough love and support for it. Obviously the title wont be this but you get my drift.

Unique art work as well. :)

NinjaCoachZ

Oct 26, 2017
I'd honestly be totally down for a new 3D Donkey Kong game from them. I have a feeling though they're working on a new IP and I wonder if there's a chance of it being a multiplayer/online game. Or at least having online components to it.

NinjaCoachZ

Oct 26, 2017
If it is an online game I think that would both explain why it's taking so long and also maybe part of why the paid online service got bumped to next year. Obviously that's just one theory though.

Coolwhip

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
A 3D Donkey Kong from them is what I expect too. They already had some 3D ish levels in TF and Retro doesn't seem to be a big risk taking studio anymore.

ASaiyan

Oct 25, 2017
latest

Is there enough love and support for it. Obviously the title wont be this but you get my drift.

Unique art work as well. :)
I was the only member of the DK 64 Defense Force on GAF, and I will gladly be one of its two members here on REF. The game is great and a perfection of the gameplay prototyped in Banjo-Kazooie.

That said, this isn't Retro's mystery game, lol. Which is just as well, because I don't know that anyone there has ever worked on a collect-a-thon platformer before.

OP
OP
NintendoMariah
Oct 25, 2017
Australia. Nintendo Land
I was the only member of the DK 64 Defense Force on GAF, and I will gladly be one of its two members here on REF. The game is great and a perfection of the gameplay prototyped in Banjo-Kazooie.

That said, this isn't Retro's mystery game, lol. Which is just as well, because I don't know that anyone there has ever worked on a collect-a-thon platformer before.

My new best friend
#highfive
#teamDK64

Lady Gaia

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
I've loved what they've done with DKC and Metroid, so I'm fine with whatever they want to do next. Bringing life back to an existing franchise would be in their wheelhouse, but I'd all over a new IP from them as well. As far an existing franchise, though? Open-World Star Fox Adventures? Yoshi RPG? Donkey Kong Maker?

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017
I hope it's Kid Icarus since they've expressed interest in it before, and because Sakurai doesn't seem to have an interest in doing another one

MondoWray

Oct 27, 2017
England

It's funny the reputation that DK 64 would later get because it was pretty well received at the time and I'll never forget my dad's face when I showed him Jet Pack.

Axass

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Every year for the last two years I was sure they'd show their project at E3, I'm beginning to be worried. What if they split in two teams and there are now two concurrent projects?

The game is great and a perfection of the gameplay prototyped in Banjo-Kazooie.

giphy.gif

DK64 is bloated beyond saving and unnecessarily complex. The environments are too big and not even remotely as inspired as Banjo-Kazooie's ones.

Sammy Samusu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Beyonce's Womb
Retro is over.

Almost 4 years and nothing.

No game should take that long. Unless it's something reaaallllyy complex like some new IP MMO shit.

But its not.

Imagine taking 4 years to make a Donkey Kong game, ffffff.

I want them to make Eternal Darkness 2. But again, 4 years is a lot of time for a 10 hours horror game.

No matter what, their new game announcement is already a disappointment. We can only hope it's a good one, despite the long wait.

ASaiyan

Oct 25, 2017
I've loved what they've done with DKC and Metroid, so I'm fine with whatever they want to do next. Bringing life back to an existing franchise would be in their wheelhouse, but I'd all over a new IP from them as well. As far an existing franchise, though? Open-World Star Fox Adventures? Yoshi RPG? Donkey Kong Maker?
You know what, this is a great idea. Let's have Retro make a sequel to Star Fox Adventures. It has the dubious honor of being the most recent solid Star Fox game. And they seem like they would do a good job of it.

My new best friend
#highfive
#teamDK64
tenor.gif

78329581.jpg

Champion

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Tampa, FL
Retro is over.

No game should take that long. Unless it's something reaaallllyy complex like some new IP MMO shit.

But its not.

I want them to make Eternal Darkness 2. But again, 4 years is a lot of time for a 10 hours horror game.

No matter what, their new game announcement is already a disappointment. We can only hope it's a good one, despite the long wait.
They haven't done anything notable since 2009 with the Prime Trilogy imo (which was only a compilation), so its New IP or gtfo.... Literally. They need to get that 'RARE treatment' if they don't bring it this time.

Datajoy

use of an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Angola / Zaire border region.
Quoting myself from a post I made yesterday in another thread. Pretty sure I subconsciously inspired OP.

My absolute dream game would be Donkey Kong 128, perhaps developed by Retro. It could be build on the Odyssey engine, featuring a series of tightly crafted unique sandbox worlds, but with the added charms of the original N64 game, like multiple characters with individual abilities and special moves. And of course lots of QOL improvements, like better character swapping and fewer character-dependent collectables.

Now that we know Retro is not making MP4, I really hope this is what they are doing.

we are probably getting Raven Blade

Zedelima

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 25, 2017
I really hope that nintendo let them do whanever they want! Love to see what they would do without the "strings" of some already stabilished IP

Insanexer

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I would really like a tropical freeze port on switch. One of the most underrated games and also one of my favorite.

Oct 27, 2017
Didn't they hire a composer who worked on Deus Ex? Nintendo did say to expect non traditional IPs in the future. Maybe Retro is making a sci-fi new IP?

I'd be fine with whatever they make tho personally. I would like them to come up with something wacky and new tho.

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
Finally, the time for Raven Blade has come!

(I mean, it's as likely as any other new IP they might work on.)

bottledfox

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
Given how long it's been since Tropical Freeze, I'd probably would be disappointed if it wasn't some major new IP. Although, I think the most likely explanation for why their game might've been pushed into 2018... is that 2017 was so damn packed.

Deleted member 2793

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Retro is over.

But its not.

They probably shifted the game from Wii U to Switch and had to change some stuff. I do agree it's taking long, but it's probably a new IP with western focus, so I can see why changing platforms is delaying it so much.

Madao

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Panama
my guess is that Retro has been demoted to grunt work for games that need to be finished fast and are short on manpower (like how they did in Mario Kart 7 back then)