Status
Not open for further replies.

reKon

Oct 25, 2017
As a Big 4 auditor once upon a time, seriously fuck Goldman Sachs. By a massive margin the biggest bunch of rude, entitled cunts in existence in the insurance and investment management sector.

Anything they do does not reflect the industry as a whole. Let them burn.
As a former big 4, tell me stories! 😁

Oct 30, 2017
Producer Prices Fall as Inflation Continues to Slow

December's producer price index slumped, signaling that inflation continues to cool. But is it cooling enough for the Federal Reserve?

Headline PPI fell 6.2% year-over-year in December, down from 7.3% in November and below analyst forecasts of 6.8%. It dropped 0.5% in December from November, down from an increase of 0.2% and below forecasts for a decline of 0.1%.

Core PPI, which strips out food and energy, was also weaker. It rose 0.1% month over month, down from 0.2% in November and meeting economist forecasts, while the 5.5% year-over-year decline, was down from 6.2% and in line with forecasts.
The weaker-than-expected reading is another sign that the Fed can ease up on the right hikes a bit in the months ahead. As a result, the reading helped push Nasdaq CompositeCOMP +0.14% futures, which benefit from lower inflation and lower interest rates, up 0.6%, while S&P 500SPX –0.20% futures have risen 0.3%, and the Dow Jones Industrial AverageDJIA –1.14% has ticked up 0.1%.
Still, it's not time to get too excited. "A sustained deceleration in recent months supports market pricing for another step down in the pace of interest rate increases going forward," writes High Frequency Economics' Rubeela Farooqi. "However, with prices still rising at a pace that is well above target, rates will need to move higher, to a more restrictive stance."

www.barrons.com

Producer Prices Fall as Inflation Continues to Cool

The decline in PPI continues a trend that could see smaller rate increases in the months ahead.

Neo C.

Nov 9, 2017
Nice to see my stocks going up since the start of the year. I can finally trim some positions and have cash sitting for further investments. :)

Kromis

Oct 29, 2017
SoCal
I have been watching that trendline for a while now. Its been tagging it and retreating each time. But the fact that it didnt go and hit the lower bound this time (nor arguably last time depending on how you draw the channel) could mean that it wants to break out.

Either that or it rejects again and we go back and tag that lower bound again, and this time that would be a long ass free fall.

Well morning was nice while it lasted. But it's been a good start to the year and hopefully that continues.

Why are we down now?

Is it finally happening? Second reject from the $400 resistance. 🥵

You don't get a crazy rally like that without pulling back a little. There was some Fed talk earlier, Bullard still wants to go hard on rates. https://www.marketwatch.com/story/f...-on-getting-interest-rates-over-5-11674055650

Deleted member 70788

Jun 2, 2020
I think shit is down because the news of the MS and AMZN layoffs.

Maxim726x

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
My hunch is the market makers didn't expect PPI to be so good, now they need to reposition their options for a bit of a rally. Thus they'll drive the market down for a bit so they can get out of their naked shorts for less money and set up differently.

Yeah... Ill-informed opinion here, but every time there has been positive inflation news it's usually the day after that everything rallies. The day of everything is down.

Maybe there's stats to back this up but it's what I've noticed.

Cipherr

Oct 26, 2017
Is it finally happening? Second reject from the $400 resistance. 🥵

E2a5lVl.jpg

I mean look at that. Both the trendline and the 200 day. I guess we will find out shortly. Not that long until Feb 1st. I reckon the next FOMC will force a direction one way or the other.

reKon

Oct 25, 2017
I'm back to buying. I've lowered my margin account enough and will pay the remaining after I get my bonus.

I don't care about timing the bottom the exactly. I'm going start slowing DCAing into names that are already at great prices. If there further drops, I will just buy more. Never sell.

Buy. Borrow. Die.

Lunchbox-

Nov 2, 2017
bEast Coast
Oh indeed. My timing was a bit off in that things did go lower but I still haven't bought back in 😅
i will start buying back around 23-24. but it might shoot pass that and hit close to 30 due earnings coming up

obviously you can't time it exact, but buying around the mid to high 20's on the VIX then selling at 18-19 has been amazing for me in this market

Mengy

Oct 25, 2017
Looks like today might end up wiping out all the gains my portfolio has made since the beginning of the year. Lovely.

I think we are in for a rough year, or at least the first half of the year. Any rallies will likely be short lived until the Fed reverses course, which could be quite some time yet.

BUT on the bright side, a course reversal is coming, its just a matter of when, not if.

Oct 22, 2020
I think we are in for a rough year, or at least the first half of the year. Any rallies will likely be short lived until the Fed reverses course, which could be quite some time yet.

BUT on the bright side, a course reversal is coming, its just a matter of when, not if.
Yep - I was definitely expecting a rough go of it this year.

I got some inheritance money for Christmas this year (posted about it in here a couple months back), and I put a chunk of it in some Vanguard and Schwab ETFs and mutual funds. My expectation was that I was likely to lose some money on it this year, but it's a long-term investment, so it would almost certainly pay off in the long run.

Well, the year got off to a surprisingly solid start and I was pretty thrilled - but now things are coming back down to earth. Just how this works, I guess!

Cipherr

Oct 26, 2017
SP500 retook 3900 pretty convincingly. A chance at a green end for the day if we get that last hour power spike again. 🥴

vixolus

Prophet of Truth
Sep 22, 2020
Sold some $MSFT and hoping to buy back next week assuming it drops a bit more after/approaching earnings. I sold at around $233 and then it ends the higher lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.