• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Vomiaouaf

Oct 27, 2017
I was watching it all happen yesterday and after the trading day, the value just kept going up and it largely stayed at the exact speculative number this morning/ continues to go up. Part of me wanted to sell near the end of today's trading day if I was even 20 or 30 bucks up and then just watch it all again tomorrow. Definitely treating it like a really expensive scratch ticket for the holidays so no harm no foul if I come out with half my money.

Thanks for the info!

I'll add a bit more color if you want: last time the "pump" happened over 4 days. Got cut short for other reasons but you could assume that even if it keeps going up at absurd levels there will be profit taking from the less greedy folks. You're on day 2 now which is when the general audience who isn't on Reddit/twitter/discord is (and was) learning about it via slower media channels.

So if I was to predict the future with my magic 8-ballsack I wouldn't be shocked if they let it go up tomorrow when everyone comes in with big hopes to ride the "rocket back to the moon" (hoping they're not late to the party) and then crush it Friday to avoid paying all the call options expiring this week. It'll be entertaining to watch whichever way it goes. Hopefully doesn't end as grimly as last time but it's inevitable whenever you're into gambling territory, which it now is.

But yes the best advice for everyone is please don't put rent money on this. So your approach is the right one.

Edit once more since I just took a Quick Look: every spike since 2022 has also been 3-5 days long before dying out.

LetsEatSnacks

Oct 18, 2020
United States
I'll add a bit more color if you want: last time the "pump" happened over 4 days. Got cut short for other reasons but you could assume that even if it keeps going up at absurd levels there will be profit taking from the less greedy folks. You're on day 2 now which is when the general audience who isn't on Reddit/twitter/discord is (and was) learning about it via slower media channels.

So if I was to predict the future with my magic 8-ballsack I wouldn't be shocked if they let it go up tomorrow when everyone comes in with big hopes to ride the "rocket back to the moon" (hoping they're not late to the party) and then crush it Friday to avoid paying all the call options expiring this week. It'll be entertaining to watch whichever way it goes. Hopefully doesn't end as grimly as last time but it's inevitable whenever you're into gambling territory, which it now is.

But yes the best advice for everyone is please don't put rent money on this. So your approach is the right one.

Edit once more since I just took a Quick Look: every spike since 2022 has also been 3-5 days long before dying out.

Thanks again. Genuinely helpful information! I'll keep holding for a little while. I put a sell limit order at $40 which I know is likely unreasonable but hey, if I more than double my money a la Vegas style, I'll be pretty excited.

Tom Penny

Oct 26, 2017
What are your investment goals? Is this for retirement decades from now? If so, no need to worry about a drop if you plan to buy weekly

I'm trying to retire in 7 years. My 401K is a handful of index fund but that money isn't readily available. It would basically be a similar thing. I just don't like having cash making a few percent. I guess it could come in handy if a good real estate deal came up.

pioneer

May 31, 2022
I'm trying to retire in 7 years. My 401K is a handful of index fund but that money isn't readily available. It would basically be a similar thing. I just don't like having cash making a few percent. I guess it could come in handy if a good real estate deal came up.
That close to retirement I would probably be looking at bonds/bond funds, but I don't think HYSA is a terrible option either

Mengy

Oct 25, 2017
the estimated spacex valuation of 150 billion rejuvenated his fuckery genes. he kinda doesn't need twitter or tesla anymore financially if that ipo goes well

The problem, at least from my perspective, is this:

If advertising on Twitter ceases then Twitter will lack funding and Elon will very likely need to annually sell TSLA shares to prop it up (because he doesn't get paid any actual money from any of his companies). Of course if he simply stopped sabotaging the damn company (or shut his mouth) he wouldn't need to sell TSLA shares.

Twitter has brought out the absolute worst in him. I wish he'd simply focus on Tesla and SpaceX instead.

Kromis

Oct 29, 2017
SoCal
Eurozone inflation down to 2.4%

Eurozone inflation falls more than expected to 2.4%

Tensions rise between investors pricing in interest rate cuts and central banks warning of persistent price pressures

Fuck, I forgot today is PCE data day too. I only remembered after market close because my Echo Dot/Alexa said I had a notification which it told me about the GDP on Wednesday and upcoming PCE data today. I have no idea why it did that either 👀

Been on a little break but I see I've missed out on other spicy movements besides $COIN.

Lunchbox-

Nov 2, 2017
bEast Coast
Fuck, I forgot today is PCE data day too. I only remembered after market close because my Echo Dot/Alexa said I had a notification which it told me about the GDP on Wednesday and upcoming PCE data today. I have no idea why it did that either 👀

Been on a little break but I see I've missed out on other spicy movements besides $COIN.
what alexa app gives you financial data?

mine is a light switch

Kromis

Oct 29, 2017
SoCal
what alexa app gives you financial data?

mine is a light switch

That's what I'm saying, I have no idea! Mine is also a light switch with no apps and I thought it was totally random that it gave me financial data for some reason. Maybe it knows my search interests since I Google/Bing that type of data. I'll see if it does it again. Maybe it was just a one-off 😅

End of 2023 MSFT vs AAPL poll
OP
OP
Sheepinator

Sheepinator

Jul 25, 2018
w53CCN6.png

OP
OP
Sheepinator

Sheepinator

Jul 25, 2018

View: https://imgur.com/a/tvn0A8N

it ain't much, but it's an honest months work 👨‍🌾

I'm not familiar with seeing things presented like that. Does the short call roll mean the net difference between selling the future dated strike and covering the current dated strike?

And at the risk of prying, do you have 100 shares? Because otherwise you're potentially very exposed if it suddenly takes off one day.

Lunchbox-

Nov 2, 2017
bEast Coast
I'm not familiar with seeing things presented like that. Does the short call roll mean the net difference between selling the future dated strike and covering the current dated strike?
yeah that's just how robinhood presents it

-so i sold 220 calls against my 100 shares for a 250$ premium
-rolled it (bought it back and sold the next weeks 220 again) and netted 140$
-then again for 230$
-then again today for 170$ for december 8th 220 covered call

the premiums for volatility is so high in this stock, just one weeks time value is 100$+

OP
OP
Sheepinator

Sheepinator

Jul 25, 2018
yeah that's just how robinhood presents it

-so i sold 220 calls against my 100 shares for a 250$ premium
-rolled it (bought it back and sold the next weeks 220 again) and netted 140$
-then again for 230$
-then again today for 170$ for december 8th 220 covered call

the premiums for volatility is so high in this stock, just one weeks time value is 100$+
Very nice. How do you pick the strikes? TA? Option deltas?

Lunchbox-

Nov 2, 2017
bEast Coast
Very nice. How do you pick the strikes? TA? Option deltas?
just simply cost basis profit based so i'm safe incase it executes. my cost basis is 214, so 220 is what i have been rolling

if it drops below 220 i just let it expire and get to keep the entire 1500$ premium. then monday just sell another 220 or 219 or 218 (basically anything above my costbasis so there's no loss) if tesla rips to 300 or something it will put an end to it and i'll just let it execute. but as long as it stays in the 200-270 range i can keep doing this

Eggiem

Oct 27, 2017
OP
OP
Sheepinator

Sheepinator

Jul 25, 2018
just simply cost basis profit based so i'm safe incase it executes. my cost basis is 214, so 220 is what i have been rolling

if it drops below 220 i just let it expire and get to keep the entire 1500$ premium. then monday just sell another 220 or 219 or 218 (basically anything above my costbasis so there's no loss) if tesla rips to 300 or something it will put an end to it and i'll just let it execute. but as long as it stays in the 200-270 range i can keep doing this
Nice.

Depending on risk tolerance and how much I want to keep the underlying shares, I often look at the option delta as a proxy. So, if I really want to keep the shares, I might choose a strike where the options are giving 10% probability of expiring ITM. Or if I'm fine with the shares being taken away, then I'll pick a potential resistance area closer to the current price, with a higher delta and therefore higher premium.

2pac_71

Oct 25, 2017
Curious why the mega cap tech names are down 1% or so today MSFT even more at 1.6% down, but Apple is up 0.7%. Just seems strange especially MSFT being down 1.6%. Any news?

FTF

Oct 28, 2017
New York
Curious why the mega cap tech names are down 1% or so today MSFT even more at 1.6% down, but Apple is up 0.7%. Just seems strange especially MSFT being down 1.6%. Any news?
Yeah, not sure either. Maybe this?
stocks.apple.com

Exclusive: Google pushes for antitrust action against Microsoft in UK cloud market — Reuters

Google (GOOGL.O) has called on Britain’s antitrust regulator to take action against Microsoft (MSFT.O), claiming its business practices had left rivals at a significant disadvantage, according to a letter seen by Reuters.

OP
OP
Sheepinator

Sheepinator

Jul 25, 2018
It's quite comical to see the likes of Unity and WBD up 9% this morning, while the likes of TSLA, NVDA, MSFT all struggling a bit.

reKon

Oct 25, 2017
Completely expecting SoFi to reverse gains entirely next week... And I'll be tired of it. It's a long term hold for me so the day to day movement doesn't really impact my investing decision, but it annoys me to see these +8% and -8% days off of no news. Traders (especially short sellers) need to fuck off to oblivion and actually do something useful in their lives rather than messing with legitimate businesses.

OP
OP
Sheepinator

Sheepinator

Jul 25, 2018
NEW POLL, until end of Monday to vote.

2-year chart below. High of 4,818 in Jan 2022. High this year of 4,607 in July.

wWt1vtio

HTupolev

Oct 27, 2017
Traders (especially short sellers) need to fuck off to oblivion and actually do something useful in their lives rather than messing with legitimate businesses.
What is SoFi doing right now that would cause the recent fluctuations on the secondary equities market to significantly mess with their business?

Kromis

Oct 29, 2017
SoCal
Completely expecting SoFi to reverse gains entirely next week... And I'll be tired of it. It's a long term hold for me so the day to day movement doesn't really impact my investing decision, but it annoys me to see these +8% and -8% days off of no news. Traders (especially short sellers) need to fuck off to oblivion and actually do something useful in their lives rather than messing with legitimate businesses.

Liquidity is our friend :3