• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 26, 2017
Inspired by the ProJared getting busted thread and the comments that seemed to handwave cheating away because of lazy arguments like "lol relationships are complicated", or "cHEatINg hAs nUaNcE."

Well yeah, no shit. Relationships between two people will always be complicated (we are human beings after all), but that is not an excuse to go behind your significant other's back to go chase temporary pleasure. If you lack the common courtesy to break things off, then as far as I'm concerned, you are a majorly selfish asshole.

But there isn't any nuance to cheating. It's about as black and white as it can get. Defending cheating on the pretense of relationships being complicated makes you look very inconsiderate as per the title. Why? Because you're defending someone's ability to chase temporary pleasure, and completely ignoring the ramifications of that action on the significant other. Such ramifications include:

- Insecurity: I mean duh, that person's actions are basically screaming "I don't find you desirable that I would rather go behind your back to get what I need, than talk to you like an adult." The person who got cheated on is not going to be the same, and that will have a ripple effect on dating other people. They might be less trusting of people, jaded, have so much self-esteem issues related to their physical beauty or how they are in a relationship. And yet, idiots are quick to talk about how bad it is for the cheater and ignoring how their selfishness has gotten them to this point.

- Communication problems: Cheating doesn't magically solve how you address issues, if you're willing to go behind someone's back for something like cheating, then how are you going to address other issues. And that's before bringing up stuff like being manipulative, or having the tendency to view people as objects for your own pleasure.

It's time for people to stop defending cheating.

Doctor_Thomas

Oct 27, 2017
I don't think anyone is defending it, I just don't think people care about the actions of people they don't know in their inter personal relationships.

I think cheating is scummy... but I'm also not going to pretend to care if I don't personally know the people involved.

Books

Alt account
Banned
Feb 4, 2019
It's not black and white though, because if it was, you wouldn't have so many people doing it and so many people defending it. Cheating is bad, but I understand and it's far more nuanced than being righteous or a scumbag.

TaySan

SayTan
Dec 10, 2018
Tulsa, Oklahoma
I don't defend it, but i think it's not something we should focus on over the pedophile stuff. It's a personal matter between them as a couple. Her making it public was her choice.

SpaceCrystal

Banned
Apr 1, 2019
Cheating is a big no-no in relationships & marriages. I don't care what happens.

And making excuses on why you cheat never justifies it, not even revenge cheating. Either you work out whatever problems you have together like real men & real women do, or you break up with each other (or divorce each other, if you're married) & move on.

Last edited:

daegan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Oct 27, 2017
No, this kind of attitude that you know the ins and outs of everyone's circumstances and get to crucify them for actions that effect a severely limited number of people - who you do not know - is what needs to stop. Seriously.

If you want to drag projared because he's a pedo, absolutely. And if you want to be like, well he's a dick because he cheated on his wife, sure. But the level of vitriol that comes out of these types of discussions here is circus-grade.

Cordy

Oct 25, 2017
If someone cheats then yeah it's fucked up. It's bad and it's not positive, we all know that. At the same time cheating isn't as straight-forward and black and white as "wow he's sleeping with an underage girl", other shit comes first. Cheating is bad but shit the way some people talk about it you'd assume it was like putting your hands on your spouse. There's levels to the badness that comes from situations.

Kurdel

Nov 7, 2017
If someone cheats then yeah it's fucked up. It's bad and it's not positive, we all know that. At the same time cheating isn't as straight-forward and black and white as "wow he's sleeping with an underage girl", other shit comes first. Cheating is bad but shit the way some people talk about it you'd assume it was like putting your hands on your spouse. There's levels to the badness that comes from situations.

Exactly. Cheating is usually a symptom of something bigger.

Making blanket statements is easy, but usually it is way messier than that.

Bio

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Denver, Colorado
No, this kind of attitude that you know the ins and outs of everyone's circumstances and get to crucify them for actions that effect a severely limited number of people - who you do not know - is what needs to stop. Seriously.

If you want to drag projared because he's a pedo, absolutely. And if you want to be like, well he's a dick because he cheated on his wife, sure. But the level of vitriol that comes out of these types of discussions here is circus-grade.

I don't need your permission to make character judgments about people. Nobody does. We're allowed to find infidelity as despicable as we deem it to be, and some asshole being popular on YouTube doesn't change that.

Seesaw15

Oct 27, 2017
But there isn't any nuance to cheating. It's about as black and white as it can get.
only-a-sith-deals-in-absolutes-gif-4.gif

Not gonna cape for any cheaters but I'm not going to pretend I know every detail of their relationships. Who cares.

Last edited:

Xiaomi

Oct 25, 2017
I mean I've been cheated on, never cheated myself, and it sucked but it's not even in my top ten list of reasons to hate someone. It happens and dating/marriage is often an ugly mess anyway, so I just accept it as a relatively normal thing even good people do sometimes.

HeySeuss

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
I think the only acceptable reason for cheating is if you're in an abusive relationship and that's the only way they feel they can get out of it

daegan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Oct 27, 2017
I don't need your permission to make character judgments about people. Nobody does. We're allowed to find infidelity as despicable as we deem it to be, and some asshole being popular on YouTube doesn't change that.

I mean if you really want to go through life looking at everything like a Saturday morning cartoon, go for it, but I just can't get on that TMZ energy. It's pathetic.

Shodan14

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
What if you're cheating by eating your breakfast while on the clock working on the train though?

OP
OP
MegaManTrigger
Oct 26, 2017

Who said anything about knowing the ins and outs of someone's life? That doesn't justify cheating at all. Either you act like a real man/real woman, and say "I no longer want to be in a relationship with you", or you come out of it a selfish asshole for wanting your cake and eating it too.

Nov 26, 2018
Honestly the way that Heidi talked about the openness of their married relationship shows how manipulative seemingly innocent partners can be. He pretended to obey the boundaries and drawn lines set and then started to blur them by occasionally stepping out of them and gaslighting her for her concerns. Rinse and repeat until no lines are respected.

SpaceCrystal

Banned
Apr 1, 2019
I think the only acceptable reason for cheating is if you're in an abusive relationship and that's the only way they feel they can get out of it

No. That'll just make the abuser angry & make shit even worse.

The right thing to do, would be to get out, call 911 & tell their friends/family members about it so that they can protect him/her. And get a restraining order against the abuser.

Cordy

Oct 25, 2017
Exactly. Cheating is usually a symptom of something bigger.

Making blanket statements is easy, but usually it is way messier than that.
Yep exactly.

If someone cheats then you can break down as to why they cheated, you can look into it and work on it from a discussion standpoint. Yeah it's bad but there's other things attached to it.
If someone's a pedophile and sleeps with a kid, if a pedophile is trying to get pics from a kid, who's really going to break down why they did it?

There's levels.

SinkFla

Oct 26, 2017
Pensacola, Fl
"Who cares?" is all I can honestly say about people I have absolutely no personal attachments to. I mean yeah I'll automatically think "Well they're kind of a shitty person" then but I can't find it within myself to be so highly invested in other's relationships. If anything it's incredibly weird and venturing into supermarket tabloid rag territory.

Strike

Oct 25, 2017
It's selfish. If you want to see other people, be honest. Don't string them along.

daegan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Oct 27, 2017
Who said anything about knowing the ins and outs of someone's life? That doesn't justify cheating at all. Either you act like a real man/real woman, and say "I no longer want to be in a relationship with you", or you come out of it a selfish asshole for wanting your cake and eating it too.

The view that a someone who cheats must want out of their relationship is a great example of the kind of narrow-mindedness that always pops up in these threads. It's also completely wrong.

TaySan

SayTan
Dec 10, 2018
Tulsa, Oklahoma
There is levels to cheating and we don't know their personal lives. It's shitty, but we don't their circumstances that led to cheating.

Strider_Blaze

Oct 28, 2017
Lancaster, CA
Even if I'm not one to get into anyone's personal relationships, but I know for certain cheating is not the right way to go about.

Seek counseling, speak with your significant other and see if you can work it out. If not, may as well break up.

Deleted member 6215

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Considering that 10-15% of women and 20-25% of men have cheated on their spouses, that's a helluva lot of people and personally I don't have the time or energy to worry about any of that. I have my own marriage to focus on. I assume everyone is trying to manage their lives as best they can.

Books

Alt account
Banned
Feb 4, 2019
With that projared, the cheating is nothing compared to the alleged underage dick pic stuff. I think it's a good way to approach life going forward when you need a boost in the morning; you aren't accused of being a perv, so go secure the bag.

OP
OP
MegaManTrigger
Oct 26, 2017
The view that a someone who cheats must want out of their relationship is a great example of the kind of narrow-mindedness that always pops up in these threads. It's also completely wrong.

No, learn to read. Nowhere did I say anything about "person who cheats = must want out." All I'm saying is that it's incredibly selfish to go off and act on your desires behind your partner's back and cause some serious mental damage in doing so. So instead of putting your partner through that, you might as well just say "I no longer want a relationship with you" and move on. This is not a situation where you get to have your cake and eat it too.

It's honestly amazing how little consideration people give to the other person in the relationship.

nah fam, it isn't as black and white as you think it is or as you want it to be

Based on what? Just saying that it's not black-white is not enough.

Zekes

Oct 25, 2017
As someone who has dealt with being cheated on and has remained in the relationship:

This thread sucks.

Cheating can have nuance and doesn't have to be an automatic end to a relationship despite how incredibly painful it is. It depends on the relationship and the factors that led to the cheating. And easy as it is to say, "well the cheater should've worked it out with the partner, or they should've just broke up with them, or they should've stopped themselves" or whatever, people are not always entirely rational. Sometimes people act based on pure emotion and make mistakes.

Oct 27, 2017
I think there's just some people who think cheating is a very morally wrong in a binary sense and those who view it was some kind of nuanced communication.

I think it's extremely shitty no matter what.

siteseer

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Nah. A cheater may not want to breakup. So it's not about cowardice in that case. It's about selfishness
a case can be made that for whatever reason a person may not want to break up is still a coward vis-a-vis their relationship or their circumstances.

edit: oh i should add that i'm assuming this person has control over their own agency and is not under some sort of cultural baggage that prevents people from separating, i.e. religious fundamentalism.

Last edited:

Siggy-P

Avenger
Mar 18, 2018
Cheating is bad but it's an issue between the people involved. I don't see why it's any of the business of the public if a celebrity cheats.

Now in regards to Projared, while an A-hole for cheating, the focus on condemning him for cheating is weird and kind of pathetic given how it's not even close to the worst thing he's done. Like who gives a shit when he's tricking underage fans into sending nude pics to him.

deimosmasque

Ugly, Queer, Gender-Fluid, Drive-In Mutant, yes?
Apr 22, 2018
Tampa, Fl
As someone who has dealt with being cheated on and has remained in the relationship:

This thread sucks.

Cheating can have nuance and doesn't have to be an automatic end to a relationship despite how incredibly painful it is. It depends on the relationship and the factors that led to the cheating. And easy as it is to say, "well the cheater should've worked it out with the partner, or they should've just broke up with them, or they should've stopped themselves" or whatever, people are not always entirely rational. Sometimes people act based on pure emotion and make mistakes.

Totally agreed. My wife cheated on my about a decade ago. Truth was I was a near alcoholic loser who prefered being drunk then dealing with my life.

She left one night to think about what she wanted to do and cheated. It was a wake up call to me that I had neglected her that badly.

We worked together to rebuild both the trust and the affection... And still together over a decade later.

Do you have any examples of this glorification?

Thats what I'm wondering myself. Pop culture makes it seem like cheaters are the worst human beings ever who deserve no forgiveness.