• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Lord Fanny

Banned
Apr 25, 2020
This game is so wild. I shouldn't make assumptions, but this game screams "we need another FF game for this fiscal year because of internal, Covid related delays."

Loved the game but so many aspect just don't feel thought out at all.

This probably entered development before COViD so I highly doubt it's related. Even though this clearly has a budget, I doubt it was made in less than two years lol.

GamerJM

Nov 8, 2017
So dumb question, but does this mean the game actually will run a lot better in 10 years on better hardware? Like will it look amazing compared to other 2022 games then, or will it just not matter that much?

Apr 4, 2018
Vancouver, BC
330,000 triangles for that bat is a joke.

It almost feels like they just got to a certain point in production where they thought it was too much effort to optimize the models and just said fuck it.

Surely they could have afforded to license simplygon or something similar and trim those models down to something reasonable. The whole game likely would have benefited immensely.

So dumb question, but does this mean the game actually will run a lot better in 10 years on better hardware? Like will it look amazing compared to other 2022 games then, or will it just not matter that much?

I think that's a safe bet. Maybe when the 4090 or 5090 release we'll finally get reasonable framerates.

I almost think it's more likely modders will find a way to optimize the models for them.

Last edited:

RumHam

Alt Account
Banned
Feb 12, 2019
I guess fingers crossed that at some point the models are optimized? Although it seems crazy that this would have been a miss and not a known thing.

nsilvias

Oct 25, 2017
this explains why it runs so bad on base ps4 despite it being uglier than horizon forbidden west

Kratos2013

Jan 25, 2018
That clearly look to me that they didn't had the time to optimize end-production. Normally, you optimize models and such near the end, but the amount of work must have been too great to handle over other graphical issues.
Agreed.

I'd assume they will since dlc is coming

They haven't but there are 3 DLC packs planned so the game is still in active development.

Thank you, guys. I didn't know about the planned DLC. Let's hope they actually do something about the current state of the game before they add more content.

SmokedSalmon

Apr 1, 2019
This probably entered development before COViD so I highly doubt it's related. Even though this clearly has a budget, I doubt it was made in less than two years lol.
Yeah, you're probably right. That's why I shouldn't make assumptions.

I would love to know more about the development of this game. Lots of weird decisions here.

Calabi

Oct 26, 2017
This is a special kind of hilarious given I could actually fix a fair chunk this shit with auto decimation and basically no knowledge, and could fix the rest with manual decimation and still extremely limited knowledge

Yeah this cannot be real, there are loads of methods that can automate or at least make the LODS a lot easier. Did they just forget or not have enough time.

DeadeyeNull

▲ Legend ▲
Dec 26, 2018
With how high the polycount is they are probably well past the point of diminishing returns so if nothing changes between now and next gen hardware it might be noticable but not extreme. It's normal to create models with extremely high poly counts, it's they are supposed to get optimized and reduced when actually put in game. The high poly versions should probably be saved somewhere so 10 years down the road you can use them in a remaster or something. At some point keeping them in game would just be a waste of space in games that already take over 50gb a piece.

coredecepts

Oct 27, 2017
It's possible some of these are cutscenes models and not gameplay models.

BUT the game runs like garbo both in and out of combat, so it doesn't really matter.

Lonestar

Roll Tahd, Pawl
Oct 25, 2017
I mean, Jack did say that he didn't give a fuck. Where do you think he learned that behavior?

oni-link

tag reference no one gets
Oct 25, 2017
UK
This is something they can probably fix in a patch, right?

Patching the game so it runs with lower poly models during gameplay should fix it right?

Gunny T Highway

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Canada
This is something they can probably fix in a patch, right?

Patching the game so it runs with lower poly models during gameplay should fix it right?
Yes. Modders on PC can already improve the performance by removing some of the parts or lowering the resolution of some of the models. Will they though is the other question.

Gamer @ Heart

Oct 26, 2017

Run better yes. But it will always look what it looks like now. The high end textures and models are in game now and not everything in the game is anywhere near that level, just a few outliers. So no, it won't be some secret crysis in a few years.

Mars People

Comics Council 2020
Oct 25, 2017
I don't know much about game dev, but how on earth does something like this happen?

flyinj

Oct 25, 2017
I don't know much about game dev, but how on earth does something like this happen?

The publisher made them ship the game when it wasn't ready.

There is no way the entire dev team "overlooked" doing the optimization pass on the models.

Like was said before, this is how game dev works. You almost always start with high poly/texture assets and have a planned phase in development where you optimize them. They weren't given the opportunity to do so.

Delriach

Combat Designer
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
Team Ninja's games in general seem poorly optimized. Nioh 2 was kind of a mess on PS4 Pro (based on the demo). None of the modes seemed particularly great and the trade offs in resolution, performance, shadow quality, etc. felt way too severe for what you were getting in terms of the overall visuals. I wonder what engine they use.

I can't remember having many issues with Nioh 2 at all. I can only think of a few situations where perf dropped if you played in Action Mode. Absolutely no need to play in Movie Mode or Variable Mode.

AppleBlade

Nov 15, 2017
Connecticut
It will run a lot better but it won't look that much better than other 2022 games. A lot of polys in an uncompressed model are wasted and will go unnoticed. It's similar to how an uncompressed song will sound a little better than a high quality MP3 but the enormous difference in size is hardly worth the difference to most people.

Accoun

Oct 25, 2017
Like was said before, this is how game dev works. You almost always start with high poly/texture assets and have a planned phase in development where you optimize them. They weren't given the opportunity to do so.

Do you? As a hobbyist I always thought of it as a part of creating a model, not a separate stage of development (unless we mean further optimizations and not initial low-poly) and that the high-poly assets aren't used outside baking various detail maps.
No idea about actual production process, tho.

Akronis

Prophet of Regret - Lizard Daddy
Oct 25, 2017
The game still slows down during frame drops yeah? Same issues as all their other games if that's the case and it makes multiplayer super miserable as well.

Koei Tecmo just kind of sucks with technical aspects

Calabi

Oct 26, 2017
Do you? As a hobbyist I always thought of it as a part of creating a model, not a separate stage of development (unless we mean further optimizations and not initial low-poly) and that the high-poly assets aren't used outside baking various detail maps.
No idea about actual production process, tho.
Yeah that is true, as far as I'm aware you make the high poly, you then make the low poly from that. Then bake high poly to low poly, and then maybe make some LODs manually if necessary and whatever other optimisations that are needed. It seems like for some reason the decided to skip whole processes probably because of time.

BeefTengoku

Jul 9, 2019
Isn't nanite mostly just useful for static meshes?

It doesn't seem like Nanite can handle anything that uses bones and mesh deformation.

However, in that one demo video with the giant golem, it looks like they built it Treasure-style out of static parts that were animated to a giant invisible animation skeleton.

So it seems like Nanite objects can move, just not deform.

convo

Oct 25, 2017
With the Nioh game running pretty well, i get the impression Koei Tecmo outsourced the Final Fantasy assets and didn't have the time to make the optimizations.

studyguy

Oct 26, 2017
I don't think that was ever solely about polygon count but shader complexity. That was from a GDC talk, so one can just look up the video for the context (~10 mins in)

Lmao there was no need to talk about how unoptimized XIV 1.0 was in theory, ton of people including myself experienced it. My GPU bricked every time I walked into a bush during beta. My friend had to RMA his amd card during the beta. PCs brought to their knees by the power of Tanaka's vision.

Glad to see SE devs carrying on the tradition here.

GameAddict411

Oct 26, 2017
it won't look amazing 10 years from now since poly count is only one element to how detailed a model can be. Not only that, but poly counts have pretty sharp diminishing returns. It's just poorly optimized. Imagine watering a plant using a fire hydrant instead of a jug of water.