• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

KCroxtonJr

Oct 28, 2017
So they basically just threw in the original sculpted models? I mean I know retopologizing models isn't very fun at all but damn lol

FinFunnels

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
is this something they'll fix? I did wanted to try the game later on ps4
It would probably be very costly to fix and it wouldn't result in many additional sales

I think it's very unlikely they fix this unless it really blows up into a big news story... and I don't see that happening with a relatively niche game like this.

Dreamwriter

Oct 27, 2017
High polycount isn't necessarily a bad thing these days, depending on the game engine. What makes it bad is what you do with those polys - do you have expensive shaders on them, fancy lighting and shadow effects? Then yeah, your performance could be in for a world of hurt. But otherwise it could be perfectly fine. Poly count is only one aspect of GPU performance.

I've used multi-million poly models in a Unity app on the Oculus Quest 2 and maintained 90fps.

Last edited:

JoJoBae

Oct 25, 2017
Layton, UT
Hasn't Team Ninja been doing this to varying extents since Ninja Gaiden? Like it started as flexing system power and now they just do it because they can. Makes their games look distinct af but they don't always run so great because of it.

Midee

Oct 27, 2017
CA, USA
That's what you get after everyone made fun of this:

c8b

/s
I've never played FFXIII and only now just realized that it has a weird glossy coat:

ToddBonzalez

The Pyramids? That's nothing compared to RDR2
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Hasn't Team Ninja been doing this to varying extents since Ninja Gaiden? Like it started as flexing system power and now they just do it because they can. Makes their games look distinct af but they don't always run so great because of it.
No. This is either a sign of incompetence or serious schedule and budgetary constraints. Typically game characters are sculpted in a program like Z-Brush that produces very high poly models that aren't well optimized enough to go in-game. The artists then go through an optimization process called mesh decimation where they reduce the the total poly count (while keeping the model looking looking similar). Team Ninja just didn't do step 2.

datwr

Nov 5, 2017
Are we actually getting the full story here, where does it say they aren't using LODs in-game?
If those are the LOD0, that just fine, not great, but alright. The other LODs should be decimated properly I hope...

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
No. This is either a sign of incompetence or serious schedule and budgetary constraints. Typically game characters are sculpted in a program like Z-Brush that produces very high poly models that aren't well optimized enough to go in-game. The artists then go through an optimization process called mesh decimation where they reduce the the total poly count (while keeping the model looking looking similar). Team Ninja just didn't do step 2.
They did do step 2. Also, decimation and retopology are two different things. You have to retopologize your mesh to make it suitable for rigging and animating. You don't rig a raw zbrush sculpt, decimated or otherwise