Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I think the reason they made her die was only because they needed a solid enough reason for the fourth portal to open, but they really didn't want to get rid of the character.

And besides, Max is the character that suffered the most in season 4. Sure, she's still technically alive, but she's basically gone. The way it all played out, if it was a backtrack it was a very cruel one. It really didn't cheapened the death scene in my opinion, it made the whole thing even crueler. Being most likely paralyzed and blind with her mind possibly gone to Vecna, she suffered some very heavy consequences.

I really think that Max simply dying would have been a lot less interesting on a narrative perspective than what ended up happening.

I would argue that it enhanced her death scene because by the time El said, "No." I had already accepted her death and was devastated by it (legit crying). But when El came in with the save I can't recall the last time a TV showed had injected me with serotonin and hope so much in a singular moment. I was like, "Yes Eleven! Do ittttt!" lol. Only Agents of SHIELD has played with my emotions the way this season of Stranger Things had.

Also I have a huge pet peeve with character deaths being the only way to portray "steaks" in any form of fiction.

Having her die would cheapen the impact of Episode 4 imo which would suck way more. It would have been pretty shitty to do this whole thing where Max is targeted because of her guilt and suicidal thoughts which results in her fighting through it with help from her friends, only to kill her off by the same thing 5 episodes later with her crying about how she wants to live. Especially considering the type of show ST is.

Agree with what you're all saying, again, I didn't want her to die and was absolutely relieved El brought her back, I just get where others are coming from.

OP
OP
Conditional-Pancakes

Conditional-Pancakes

The GIFs of Us
Jun 25, 2020
the wilderness
Why is everyone not using spoiler tags? It's only been out 2 days, don't be jerks. At least give it a week.

People expressed the desire to stop using spoiler tags. And since Volume Two is significantly shorter and we're at end of the first weekend, I thought that lifting the spoiler tag requirements was a good idea to make it easier to discuss the season.

The thread title was modified, as well as the OP. I also made a threadmark. Hopefully it will be enough.

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever™
Sep 24, 2019
I officially want all of the weird character combos as I think some of the personalities would be fun to see clash and eventually work. I'm thinking

Erica, Joyce, and Argyle
Hopper and Robyn
Dustin and Murray
Steve and Enzo

Give me all the combinations.

CrazyDude

Oct 25, 2017
I officially want all of the weird character combos as I think some of the personalities would be fun to see clash and eventually work. I'm thinking

Erica, Joyce, and Argyle
Hopper and Robyn
Dustin and Murray
Steve and Enzo

Will and Erica if only because Erica's forceful personality would counter Will's passive one.
Mike and Nancy for that sibling combo.
Hopper, Mike, and El.

kurahador

Oct 28, 2017
As someone who absolutely didn't want her to die, I'll play devil's advocate here and say that most people are complaining about her being alive because the show went out of its way to make it look like she was absolutely a goner, only to suddenly backtrack on that with El's powers, which in turn cheapened Max's "death scene" for them.
But her "death" is so over the top though. All those writhing, her not wanting to die, Lucas just helplessly watching and Hawkins going apocalypse that I was so sure they'll introduce time travel in the next scene to undo it. Her dying in that moment would've been a jump-the-shark moment for the show because not only it was cruel, it felt like a disservice to the character and spirit of the show.

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017

Erica, Joyce, and Argyle
Hopper and Robyn
Dustin and Murray
Steve and Enzo

Next season needs to just be everyone fighting over who gets to hang out with Dustin

Ether_Snake

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Max not being dead is all about having partially succeeded in preventing Vecna from winning, so he hasn't completely opened the portal.

Max will probably be taken by the military and if she dies chances are the portal will fully open.

I'm thinking the military will want to keep her permanently alive but entraped/bound, while Lucas and co will want to find a way to free her and bring her back to being her normal self.

Doubt the blindness is permanent; Vecna's eyes are the same so I think even if she was permanently blind she will end up being able to see in some capacity, maybe with her mind, but she might not quite ever see the movie with Lucas, not with her own eyes, but still go see it together anyway.

Oct 26, 2017

Max not being dead is all about having partially succeeded in preventing Vecna from winning, so he hasn't completely opened the portal.

Max will probably be taken by the military and if she dies chances are the portal will fully open.

I'm thinking the military will want to keep her permanently alive but entraped/bound, while Lucas and co will want to find a way to free her and bring her back to being her normal self.

Doubt the blindness is permanent; Vecna's eyes are the same so I think even if she was permanently blind she will end up being able to see in some capacity, maybe with her mind, but she might not quite ever see the movie with Lucas, not with her own eyes, but still go see it together anyway.
Uh... I'm pretty sure the portal is fully open. Hence the ash falling, plants dying, and smoke at the end. I don't think Max is gonna be in the military's eye at all, no one but the party even knows what happened to her.

Solo

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
People expressed the desire to stop using spoiler tags. And since Volume Two is significantly shorter and we're at end of the first weekend, I thought that lifting the spoiler tag requirements was a good idea to make it easier to discuss the season.

The thread title was modified, as well as the OP. I also made a threadmark. Hopefully it will be enough.
Heaven forbid someone had plans this weekend or had to work or was away or whatever and wanders into this thread, I feel for them!

Erica, Joyce, and Argyle
Hopper and Robyn
Dustin and Murray
Steve and Enzo

On a more serious note, I feel like Will's story next season has a potentially sizeable role for Robin.

diakyu

Dec 15, 2018
oh

apparently One actually mentions Eight (the girl from that S2 episode that everyone hated), as in "in the time Eight was still here" and I completely missed it, I was actually thinking "is this a plot hole" but I guess not.

anyway just the finale left but it's so long I'm leaving it for tomorow.
She's physically in one of the flashbacks they show, isn't she? It's very brief but I'm almost certain she was shown this season. This season as a whole had a lot of 2 callbacks which shocked me but I appreciated how this show never ignores anything from the past, stuff like acknowledging Kali just suprised me seeing the reception to her ep in 2

Edit: Wiki says she's in ep 6

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
My hope that the original D&D group together again. It's been since season 1 that they've done stuff together.
Yeah my main hope is the A plot being the Season 1 crew together again (+ Max and Will). Steve complains about being the babysitter multiple times this season, so its a perfect chance to let Jonathan, Nancy, Steve and Robin have their own group again.

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
She's physically in one of the flashbacks they show, isn't she? It's very brief but I'm almost certain she was shown this season. This season as a whole had a lot of 2 callbacks which shocked me but I appreciated how this show never ignores anything from the past

I don't think so? She couldn't be or One would have killed her too, I think it's safe to assume he killed everyone but Eleven. And the fact they threw in that line of him saying this was after Eight wasn't there, specifically to adress this possible plot hole, I doubt she was in a flashback scene.

CrazyDude

Oct 25, 2017
She's physically in one of the flashbacks they show, isn't she? It's very brief but I'm almost certain she was shown this season. This season as a whole had a lot of 2 callbacks which shocked me but I appreciated how this show never ignores anything from the past, stuff like acknowledging Kali just suprised me seeing the reception to her ep in 2

She shows up in the same flashback they used in season 2.

Tambini

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think so? She couldn't be or One would have killed her too, I think it's safe to assume he killed everyone but Eleven. And the fact they threw in that line of him saying this was after Eight wasn't there, specifically to adress this possible plot hole, I doubt she was in a flashback scene.

629fe1173232420018783e2f

This flashback from S2 appears in S4 I'm pretty sure. It's a flashback of a flashback

Ether_Snake

Banned
Oct 29, 2017

Uh... I'm pretty sure the portal is fully open. Hence the ash falling, plants dying, and smoke at the end. I don't think Max is gonna be in the military's eye at all, no one but the party even knows what happened to her.

Hawkins is going to be forcibly evacuated, and the angry general is on to them all, and she has glassy eyes with broken limbs and dark streaks running down her cheeks. You can bet the general is going to get her body into his possession as he is familiar with the whole situation and how Vecna's victims were killed while she survived.

It won't take much for the military to take her when the whole town has to be evacuated, the kids won't be able to take custody of her and keep her on life support at Hopper's shack.

diakyu

Dec 15, 2018
She shows up in the same flashback they used in season 2.
629fe1173232420018783e2f

This flashback from S2 appears in S4 I'm pretty sure. It's a flashback of a flashback
Yeah I figured it was pulled from 2 since I did think it looked very familiar

Solo

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I mean... Why would they enter a thread where 99% of people were discussing part of the show they haven't watched yet?
I can only speak for myself, but I haven't looked at the OP since May or whenever it went up for Vol. 1, AND the title change is so subtle that I didn't even notice it now read "open spoilers" instead of "open spoilers for Vol. 1" (as it did yesterday) until the OP quoted me and told me. I think it would be very easy to come into here just wanting some spoiler free impressions and then get wrecked with major spoilers.

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I don't mean to be a jerk but.....in what world would anyone watch this episode and think "yep, that's the series finale!".

While I agree the actual content makes it clear there's more story to tell, I can see how someone would be confused by their decision to make the penultimate season a 2-parter, with the finale being a whole ass feature length movie, normally you only do that kind of thing for the final season!

OneTrueJack

Aug 30, 2020
My hope that the original D&D group together again. It's been since season 1 that they've done stuff together.
Yes, I too hope that the main characters share scenes again at some point.

Honestly, it's so weird to me that the show has gone out of its way to keep the original group separated since season 1. There's always at least one member missing or off somewhere else.

Solo

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
For some reason I'm now picturing someone just hopping off here thinking the show had a terrible ending and never knowing there was a S5 and its amusing me

Oct 26, 2017
Hawkins is going to be forcibly evacuated, and the angry general is on to them all, and she has glassy eyes with broken limbs and dark streaks running down her cheeks. You can bet the general is going to get her body into his possession as he is familiar with the whole situation and how Vecna's victims were killed while she survived.

It won't take much for the military to take her when the whole town has to be evacuated, the kids won't be able to take custody of her and keep her on life support at Hopper's shack.
If we're doing a timeskip, I don't think her limbs are still gonna be broken by the time we see her again. Like I don't see them keeping her bedbound or in a wheelchair when she inevitably wakes up.

Ether_Snake

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
If we're doing a timeskip, I don't think her limbs are still gonna be broken by the time we see her again. Like I don't see them keeping her bedbound or in a wheelchair when she inevitably wakes up.

The military would keep her in a coma or some such if they figure her dying would fully open the portal. They certainly won't let her go.

JaseMath

Oct 27, 2017
Denver, CO
God, that S4 finale dragged and dragged. In the end, the best part of the season was the helicopter vs. Eleven scene.

Will's going to end up being the Big Bad, huh?

shadow_shogun

Fallen Guardian
Oct 25, 2017
butth0les at the independent ruined a character not surviving this season and I sure it would be everyone's favorite, Steve, never suspected it'd be poor Eddie, Dude deserved better.
mjcry1.png

Kaah

Banned
Jun 3, 2019
Paris
I wonder if they are going to bring back Eight in season 5. It kinda make sense for Eleven to find her and ask for her help.

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
butth0les at the independent ruined a character not surviving this season and I sure it would be everyone's favorite, Steve, never suspected it'd be poor Eddie, Dude deserved better.
mjcry1.png

It was the most obvious choice, especially with his whole thing of seeing himself as a coward, otherwise the writers would have to work overtime explaining how the town would go back to accepting/tolerating him without it feeling immensely contrived

MisterSnrub

Mar 10, 2018
Someplace Far Away
With that episode 9 ending, that's my question too.
When we are dropped back in two years later, the town, inc. most/all main cast, are brainwashed under Vecna's spell into thinking absolutely nothing is wrong at all, when it plainly is to the viewers, and it takes some Kate Bush-type shit to restore their sanity.

"A big red crack in reality? That old thing's always been there!"

Ether_Snake

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I wonder if they are going to bring back Eight in season 5. It kinda make sense for Eleven to find her and ask for her help.

Mike's home being frozen in time as a mirror of the home on the day Will disappeared could lead to them finishing the game they never could finish in the real-world, and this time winning, with ghost-Eddie as the DM.

If I recall right they needed six players to play with Eddie.
Mike, Will, Dustin, Lucas, Erica, El?

I think she will show up on her own. If the town is cordoned off by the military, with conspiracy theorists and religious fanatics and militias refusing to leave and such, I could see her showing up after hearing about what's happening.

Retromess

Teyvat Traveler
Nov 9, 2017
I just finished the last two episodes with my wife...

Holy shit! Poor, poor Max! I don't know why she had to suffer so so much. And I was really thinking we'd get SOME resolution or something in the "2 days later" "epilogue" thing, but no, when Eleven visits her mind it's completely blank.

So, best case scenario, Max has months/years of physical therapy for how horrifically shattered her limbs were, plus a whole hell of a lot of PTSD and mental trauma, assuming she isn't also blind? Jesus.

It felt excessive, IMO.

I was really sad to see Eddie die, too. Was hoping they wouldn't "Bob" him, but what's done is done. :(