• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Do you think it's good to show what kind of connection players are using?

• Yes

Votes: 1,417 87.7%
  • No

Votes: 199 12.3%

• Total voters

Moara

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Most people won't care and the connection will be fine in 99% of cases, but it's still good to have the info available

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
Fighting game players need to realize they are missing out on good training not playing with lag.

When you ascend that you can become one with the lag, you are on another plain entirely.

Vex

Oct 25, 2017
This feels like something that should be illegal. How are you going to go into somebody's house (virtually) and sniff out their wireless router etc without their permission? How's that fair? I don't know how much you all know about networking, but invading somebody else's privacy is serious business. You do not have that right to know what I'm running in my house. This is huge.

Starlatine

533.489 paid youtubers cant be wrong
Oct 28, 2017
Fighting game players need to realize they are missing out on good training not playing with lag.

When you ascend that you can become one with the lag, you are on another plain entirely.

wise words

one that can win by not even having control over their inputs will become a master when they do

2shd

Oct 25, 2017
Very helpful, but if you see your connections go to crap, don't always assume "my connection is good" even if wired.

All ISPs have issues and your ISPs line may be having problems. I've seen both speed and latency go bad on an otherwise good connection many times.

Aiqops

Aug 3, 2021
I am a wi fi warrior what can I say. Can't have a long ass ethernet cable running to my xbox/ps4.

SirKai

Dec 28, 2017
Washington
This feels like something that should be illegal. How are you going to go into somebody's house (virtually) and sniff out their wireless router etc without their permission? How's that fair? I don't know how much you all know about networking, but invading somebody else's privacy is serious business. You do not have that right to know what I'm running in my house. This is huge.

The game even reveals what platform you're playing on. Publicly. This is huge. We need to blow this thing wide open tbqh.

Cordy

Oct 25, 2017
I don't really care whether someone's wired or not. Just make sure the connection's good and I'm good.

FluxWaveZ

Persona Central
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Mortal Kombat did this. What I'm seeing is the same discourse that plagued their decision to show it in MK11 and, in the end, I think most appreciated it.

Welfare

Prophet of Truth - You’re my Numberwall
Oct 26, 2017
Gonna flex that Frontier fiber optic wireless on those cable using nerds

ElephantShell

Oct 25, 2017
Won't really matter for ranked will it? Once you're at the screen to see if somebody is on WiFi it's too late to back out.

Mar 19, 2021
Can't wait to be bullied in my first non-Smash online fighting game match, I can't do wired because our landlords have rules about where the router needs to be and it's not anywhere close to the consoles 😭😭😭

Wonder if the SF community is toxic lol

mute

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Does this allow you to make any matchmaking decisions based off connection type or is it just there for an indication after you have already been matched?

Rimkrak

Oct 26, 2017
Holy shit that thing was already in the betas right? Iclearly remember seeing that icon and assumed it was just connection quality, never realised there were 2 different ones
Which shows how immaculate the online is in this game, I now know I played against wifi users and didnt even realise it!
Still I'd like to know the reasoning of people who voted no to the poll ^^

Starlatine

533.489 paid youtubers cant be wrong
Oct 28, 2017
jokes on them though my connection is pretty good but i suck
you might skip a good wifi player to match with me and see me rolling with king 24/7

boontobias

Avenger
Apr 14, 2018
This is unacceptable
15ea9aa6-1bbf-4168-b043-cce529c2fee2_screenshot.jpg

Whales

Oct 25, 2017
good

you can already see the meltdown of wifi warriors on twitter saying they wont buy the game. Lmao

Dest

Has seen more 10s than EA ever will
Coward
Jun 4, 2018
Work
This isn't the helpful thing people think it is. Wifi in 2023 is perfectly fine. Ping tests between players/before entering lobbies or whatever would be far more effective.

My wifi setup would be indistinguishable from hardwire when playing online, but someone using a 4G/5G home connection and then hardwired or some dook ass ISP and hardwired is going to be much more of an issue than how I have things setup.

Wifi isn't inherently an issue, and everyone tags on about it because of some bullshit perpetuated by the fucking creep MikeZ. It's time we come up with a better solution. I'd be saying this even if I was playing over hardwire.

OP
OP
Tsumami

Tsumami

Feb 3, 2022
This isn't the helpful thing people think it is. Wifi in 2023 is perfectly fine. Ping tests between players/before entering lobbies or whatever would be far more effective.

My wifi setup would be indistinguishable from hardwire when playing online, but someone using a 4G/5G home connection and then hardwired or some dook ass ISP and hardwired is going to be much more of an issue than how I have things setup.

Wifi isn't inherently an issue, and everyone tags on about it because of some bullshit perpetuated by the fucking creep MikeZ. It's time we come up with a better solution. I'd be saying this even if I was playing over hardwire.
Wifi is absolutely an issue in fighting games.

random88

Oct 25, 2017
Not US
I'm on wi-fi and I didn't notice any problems in beta playing against people who are several thousands km away from me. Idk if it's really needed.