• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Do you think it's good to show what kind of connection players are using?

• Yes

Votes: 1,417 87.7%
  • No

Votes: 199 12.3%

• Total voters

Moebius

Oct 28, 2017
I hope there's a filter to only play with people not on wi-fi. All fighting games should have this.

thecaseace

May 1, 2018
Fine but I also say it's not practical to expect a mostly wireless networking world to switch to wired as well.
I don't, I said 'those that can, should'.

We're on an enthusiast gaming forum where people build their own PCs, mod games through configuration files and own multiple pieces of bleeding edge hardware and obsess over Digital Foundry frame-time analysis, the audience for my post is very different to 'a mostly wireless networking world'.

Advocating most get rid of their jank is a start because the odds they can wire or switch from their isp is unlikely and it would have a huge impact especially decent firmware, a solid radio/ap or airtime fixed drivers compared to what they might and most likely have that is years old.

I'm not against the part where you told people that either which is rare here.

Ok...so you agree with me? People should fix the part of the network chain in their control if they can.

You're completely correct on compensation it's 125ms of time or a several frames/ticks after that you get issues the more jitter or packet loss goes on.

If you look at the pings in my message look at the largest values and split them in half and put them at either side of a network chain.

Are you telling me a user whose wireless network is producing 210ms of latency in addition to the latency of communicating to their ISP, then over the internet, then to their opponent and back is more or less likely to see laggy gameplay than the one whose network is producing 0.8ms of latency?

I'm making such a simple point:

'If your domestic living situation allows, reduce the variance in the part of the network chain that you control. If you do that rollback netcode has less work to do to reduce the variance in the part of the network chain you don't.'

Last edited:

FellowTarnished

Alt account
Banned
Mar 8, 2022
WiFi warriors

giphy.gif

Plum

May 31, 2018
This makes me less likely to buy the game :( It's a personal thing but I just hate that other people will see me as shitty because I can't have a wired connection.

Literally can't because I live in a multi-storey house and, despite being above the router, any Ethernet cable would need to be 50 feet long, and wind through the entire place, to get to my consoles. I did try a Powerline Adapter but it tanked the overall speed because I'm in an old-ass house with old-ass wiring.

LCGeek

Oct 28, 2017
I don't, I said 'those that can, should'.

We're on an enthusiast gaming forum where people build their own PCs, mod games through configuration files and own multiple pieces of bleeding edge hardware and obsess over Digital Foundry frame-time analysis, the audience for my post is very different to 'a mostly wireless networking world'.

They won't sadly. Being aware of DF doesn't mean you suddenly tune and overclock your parts though that's all I was getting at.

Ok...so you agree with me? People should fix the part of the network chain in their control if they can.

Old jank is bad for security, functionality or even basic performance reasons. I say it in the previous wifi post too that I linked too.

If you look at the pings in my message look at the largest values and split them in half and put them at either side of a network chain.

Are you telling me a user whose wireless network is producing 210ms of latency in addition to the latency of communicating to their ISP, then over the internet, then to their opponent and back is more or less likely to see laggy gameplay than the one whose network is producing 0.8ms of latency?

I'm making such a simple point:

'If your domestic living situation allows, reduce the variance in the part of the network chain that you control. If you do that rollback netcode has less work to do to reduce the variance in the part of the network chain you don't.'

They wouldn't notice it at all or to the same degree as non rollback title and you would need moderate packet loss that is consistent to induce it breaking apart this isn't tekken or the like that we are discussing.

Hobbun

Oct 27, 2017
There was already only a small chance of me getting this game as is. But if having a wired connection is that important with this game then it just seals the deal for me. Wired is not possible for me, unless I get a second modem.

Roubjon

Oct 25, 2017
This thread pushed me to buy a 50ft ethernet cable that'll just run across my floor whenever I wanna play SF6 lol.

seroun

Oct 25, 2018
My only issue with this is... does the game not have a direct ping number on screen? Like, why the bars? Every online game should have a direct, constant report of what your ping is imo

Foffy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If there's a casual play option, who gives a shit? This is where I think most Wi-Fi players are going to end up. Playing with Wi-Fi is going to come with connections that are good, okay, and bad. It's only fighting games that people treat this shit like war crimes with how Gamer Moment people act about it. If the answer to this is "well Wi-Fi will impact competitive play" then why shouldn't the developer design safety nets for players who lose to noticeably poor connections with matches if people are this offended at the idea of people playing with Wi-Fi? You play against the meme of all Wi-Fi warriors, a Brazilian KoF player, maybe if the connection is so substandard the wins/losses don't tally up in either direction for the match, or if they do ranking can't go down. Filtering out Wi-Fi users won't handle people who yank the cable out. You get what you should expect: not a big deal. People not going "in" on the ideal fighting game experience are not looking to play the game as seriously as those who do. Should be what you expect anyway on such connections.

I have Wi-Fi. I don't care one way or another if people want to play with me. Diehards have actual opponents to get sweaty over, not me. I'm not playing this seriously, nor do I have the resources to address this at present on my end. I'll probably drop the game in a month. But I'm already anticipating my experience to be on the unserious side because I know how toxic this is. Just look at this thread. Look at how people treat fighting games online. It's the worst shit. You can't expect a game aimed for the mass market to "purge" what the audience is most likely to use, and that's not a wired connection. Next to Smash Bros, this is probably the first game since 2008 where you could easily anticipate a mass market audience and not just diehards. It's free real estate for the diehards to maul new players. The ones who will be on wired a year, two, three years down the line will not be the casual audience this game is aimed for. You'll eventually get your "purge" so I don't see what the warring is about. People who dabble with the "Wi-Fi warriors" will either scoff at the mere idea, or give it a try and see what happens. All an indicator doing is letting you know if you're in for a good time, or a time to really not take the game seriously and accept the breakdown. People who don't want to, won't. That's it. Not a big deal.

Foffy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Ah, fair, but maybe you can colorcode the number?

If this goes like other games that use connection bars, the colorcode will be the bar. Green - Good, Yellow - Sketch, Red - Bad. It should be ping too so at least players know this isn't an ideal match to have a larger reference to work with. This is more of an issue with other games and not fighting games, but titles like Gran Turismo 7 get the connection quality wrong in races. People can be on ethernet cables and get red connection bars because there's a delay with the server.

Kaguya

Jun 19, 2018
If there's a casual play option, who gives a shit? This is where I think most Wi-Fi players are going to end up. Playing with Wi-Fi is going to come with connections that are good, okay, and bad. It's only fighting games that people treat this shit like war crimes with how Gamer Moment people act about it.
Maybe because in most games, your Wi-Fi acting up mainly just hurt you, as everyone else is connected to the server, for them, someone on bad connection is just an easier target. While in p2p connection, your connection going bad affect the other player as much as you, and usually even more.

Saddest part is this actually work, a lot of FGs already have it, we've seen how it works and its effect on the online experience, it just provide more information for players decide if the connection is good or not! None of the games got a players count drop after implementing this and it certainly didn't stop people from playing on Wi-Fi, yet here we are again on page 10 of experts explaining why this is a bad move!

Soj

Oct 27, 2017
I don't give a fuck. I'll just play with other wifi players. I'm crap anyway.

BourbonAFC

Oct 26, 2017
Don't see the big deal. It's good for people who care and won't have a huge impact on people who don't.

It's ok wired folks, you can back out if you ever match me. No hard feelings.

TeddyShardik

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
This whole discussion can be condensed in a few attitudes.

- I don't know or care about what my connection is like.
- It's fine on my end!

and then there's the fgc…having to deal with both you guys.

Slaythe

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
I haven't ran into a single wired connection I just realized what the wifi symbol was LOOOOL

Kouriozan

Oct 25, 2017
Legit don't know which is the Wi-Fi icon because the second one looks like 4G/5G signal on smartphones lmao
Should have been a literal cable icon.

Lumination

Oct 26, 2017
If wifi isn't an issue, then I don't see the issue with wifi folks playing against only wifi folks 🤷‍♂️

Rumenapp

Forza Photographer
Nov 9, 2017
Pretty much flawless matches so far with Ethernet and wifi players outside of one where a lag spike happened.

Zombegoast

Oct 30, 2017
Good functional rollback can only do so much to mitigate Wi-Fi connections. I had a few good matches in MK11 against Wi-Fi players but it shits the bed after a round because it's nowhere near stable as wired. 5ghz helps but the signal strength is weaker

OP
OP
Tsumami

Tsumami

Feb 3, 2022
Played a couple wifi players to test the waters when the game unlocked at midnight and yeah im good on that. It's not as bad as in other games since SF6's netcode is really strong but it's noticeable and I had way better games vs everyone I played that was wired.

Yall got it

Nov 2, 2017
Shibuya
Playing on wifi and man I gotta' say this game's netcode is mad good. Genuinely smoother feeling than pretty much any other big fighting game except maybe Skullgirls? Haven't compared them side by side or anything like that though. :p

G-X

Oct 28, 2017
gonna bet this game says im wired when im actually using wifi when i play it later

mesh network with a base with ethernet ports = consoles are technically "hardwired" and not using wifi, which is likely where the game is pulling this info from...but the actual connection is wireless from the main mesh station a floor below and about 400ft away

OaklandKao

Mar 21, 2022
I was on ethernet for the entire time in my old house, but my modem in my new house is the exact opposite side of the house. I'm not sure what to do outside of "get a fucking endless cord"

Gunny T Highway

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Canada
Matches between ethernet or wifi players if they are 4 bars or higher I have had almost zero issues. They really nailed the netcode.