Do you think it's good to show what kind of connection players are using?

• Yes

Votes: 1,417 87.7%
  • No

Votes: 199 12.3%

• Total voters

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
I think the Wi-Fi defenders are overreacting. You're hardly being gatekept. You'll have more than enough Wi-Fi folks to play with. Hell, you're likely the majority.

but then their connections will be bad...

me-when-the-wesker.gif

KillLaCam

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Seoul
Rollback not gonna save you when your opponent is doing instant transmission across the screen like Goku.

I mean I'm not accepting anyone with a bad signal anyway . If you're on WiFi then it has to say your signal is max lol.

Doing that worked fine most of the time for me .

Unless we're talking about ranked then yeah no WiFi

Kickfister

May 9, 2019
But the majority of people don't have good wi-fi. I know where you're coming from. I'm a forward thinking person that utilizes bleeding edge tech. But that's < 1% of the FGC population. Most people just use what they get from their ISP and have their routers placed in the suboptimal areas in the house.

What's even worse are people that use powerline adapters that think they have a stable connection when most times they are as bad or worse than wi-fi users. They just think it's good because everyone says so and never perform network tests for analysis.

There should be a better way to show this data to the end user in the form of latency, packet drops, etc. But the majority of people here only care about that ethernet vs wi-fi symbol and its color when that isn't the metric that should be measured. I think most companies think numerical data would be too much for most consumers.

It is so braindead easy to spoof a wired connection with a network bridge that using connection symbols is just a farce. I guarantee you some of the people talking shit about wi-fi warriors are using a network bridge to spoof their connection. Hell, there are people reading this right now probably Googling this just so they can join the party.
Yeah I get that and I completely understand why wifi indicators exist. I just think it's a terrible solution for the reasons you list. It's easily spoofable via means that very well may make the situation worse and pushes people away from solutions that actually are best for them. I just don't know how to explain the shortsightedness on display in this thread, at least not kindly. There's just obvious logical progressions for this becoming the norm in fighting games and it's like people are covering their eyes and ears because they're fed up with bad matches. Simply can't believe that there are people wanting to argue over ultimately asking for better actual statistics over scorched earth wifi indicators (that will still not account for people playing off a tethered hotspot, or playing with satellite internet, or playing on a congested network, and will also affect people that aren't actually ruining games).

There are easy ways to boil down actual data into a simple indicator as well: just measure instances where network conditions cause unexpected desync (packet loss, severe jitter), and if it happens more than once in a game, mark it as a low quality match. Average this into a percentage that shows how many recent games are high quality. If the percentage is low, people can choose to dodge or w/e. It's a more accessible solution than even a wifi indicator which is predicated on the user actually knowing that wifi is worse than wired.

Freshmaker

Oct 28, 2017
Hard disagree. People won't want to be rejected by people online because they are on wifi. Even the most tech savvy of people aren't always in a situation where they can be hardwired. It will be a thing if you like it or not and make the whole feature mostly pointless.
I just don't play online if I'm on wifi. I'm not evil.

barjed

Project Lead
Verified
Aug 31, 2018
Yeah I get that and I completely understand why wifi indicators exist. I just think it's a terrible solution for the reasons you list. It's easily spoofable via means that very well may make the situation worse and pushes people away from solutions that actually are best for them. I just don't know how to explain the shortsightedness on display in this thread, at least not kindly. There's just obvious logical progressions for this becoming the norm in fighting games and it's like people are covering their eyes and ears because they're fed up with bad matches. Simply can't believe that there are people wanting to argue over ultimately asking for better actual statistics over scorched earth wifi indicators (that will still not account for people playing off a tethered hotspot, or playing with satellite internet, or playing on a congested network, and will also affect people that aren't actually ruining games).

There are easy ways to boil down actual data into a simple indicator as well: just measure instances where network conditions cause unexpected desync (packet loss, severe jitter), and if it happens more than once in a game, mark it as a low quality match. Average this into a percentage that shows how many recent games are high quality. If the percentage is low, people can choose to dodge or w/e. It's a more accessible solution than even a wifi indicator which is predicated on the user actually knowing that wifi is worse than wired.

FWIW I think your takes here are correct and I agree that this thread has been pretty disappointing in terms of the simplistic "x bad" opinions. I wasn't a fan of people posting meme reaction gifs in response to your previous post.

This issue is unavoidable anyway. Wireless are in the majority and with the influx of new players the gap will only get bigger. Embracing a more nuanced indicator of the connection quality is a must, especially since it feels like the genre is on the verge of breakthrough with all the new games and Project L on the horizon.

Feb 15, 2019
One thing to note though as I see a ton of people saying it but, while initially wireless users are incredibly likely to be the majority. However as the game ages and a core playerbase is formed, wireless might no longer be the majority.

P2VT5sF.png

uhd5N2v.png

While I think the dates in the first picture were translated wrong (you can clearly see it say 2020-11-9 to 2020-12-9 in Japanese there which is the correct date for the Season 4 launch month), LAN has comprised of 50% or higher of all the ranked matches in Tekken during (and probably inbetween) those time periods. Though I think it seems very weird for there to be so many WiFi users on PC in that Jan 1st - 31st, 2020 period.

But you can definitely see it skewer to a higher LAN ratio as time goes on. I think that peak 64/36 split back in late 2020 is very likely because that was when the wifi indicator was introduced into Tekken 7, which spurred some people to change to a wired connection. Though that clearly didn't last as by January, it's back down to 60% which is, granted still a 10% increase compared to January of the year before.

Last edited:

Kickfister

May 9, 2019
FWIW I think your takes here are correct and I agree that this thread has been pretty disappointing in terms of the simplistic "x bad" opinions. I wasn't a fan of people posting meme reaction gifs in response to your previous post.

This issue is unavoidable anyway. Wireless are in the majority and with the influx of new players the gap will only get bigger. Embracing a more nuanced indicator of the connection quality is a must, especially since it feels like the genre is on the verge of breakthrough with all the new games and Project L on the horizon.
I appreciate it truly.

Numb

Oct 25, 2017
Funny how wired minority who don't want to fight wifi warrior majority is being targeted for doing that .

The wifi warriors who want to play with wired dont see the irony and are forced to play wth their own kind who don't care either way.

Just join the good side so we can outnumber them.

Springy

Oct 28, 2017
Way I see it is

I'm on WiFi
I'm here just to slap some buttons and throw a few fireballs
The kind of folks I'd want to share that experience with probably are also on WiFi or don't care

Reinhard

Oct 27, 2017
My Router is a mesh with only 3 ethernet ports per unit so my PS5 will stay wireless. The fiber gateway / "cable" modem is one and my pc and raspberry pi plex server are the other 2. Don't really care as I'm super casual and not any good at fighting games.

HiLife

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Eh. As long as the rollback frames are low and we're still green barring I'd play regardless of their type of connection. And I play wired.

Still had a great experience on Strive to this day. Wired and WiFi on my deck.

Can't imagine a majority of players, especially newcomers to the SF scene, are gonna be wired up.

Numb

Oct 25, 2017
Way I see it is

I'm on WiFi
I'm here just to slap some buttons and throw a few fireballs
The kind of folks I'd want to share that experience with probably are also on WiFi or don't care
I just don't get it
Why lessen the quality.
Especially if it can ruin for others not just for you.
It's like leaving a game at 240p and 15fps when you could just go into settings

thecaseace

May 1, 2018
But...but it's not all wifi players causing this. Again, it's horrible braindead reasoning focused on correlation and not causation. Wifi can be the cause of bad matches, but it's not always the cause. Are you as an individual user more likely to be better off by filtering out wifi players? Yes, so sure whatever filter people out based on that. I'm going to argue that they should have a system that doesn't discriminate based off a flawed premise though, and also that it's bad for the longevity of fighting games to cater to that perspective.

Firstly I don't believe it's all just wifi players causing this. But wifi connections are inherently more unstable and a lot of wifi users will be using equipment that isn't going to help the stability of their connections and the players that connect to them.

I just find it weird this forum gravitates to eliminating every single instance of incorrect frame-timing and input lag where it's GPU related. People use hacks, mods, trawl settings screens, buy DLSS enabled hardware, all for the gain of milliseconds of performance.

Why is it so ridiculous when people suggest just trying to add something that can be as simple as a single cable to your setup to improve frame-time and input lag in a networked scenario?

An ethernet cable is far cheaper than a DLSS enabled GPU or double-dipping, can cost less time to install than the amount of time spent in settings or making any of the myriad settings tweaks that are frequently suggested where the issue relates to graphics.

But suddenly the suggestion of improving the experience of others and yourself becomes unthinkable once it involves running an ethernet cable for those that have the ability to do so.

It's so odd considering the extent to which Era deeply analyses these differences in other scenarios and pores over much more complex fixes than the ones suggested in this thread.

Everyone here knows how to install an ethernet cable compared to some of the graphical hardware and software tweaks used to gain performance and done correctly its the kind of thing you only need to do once.

I just think if you have the opportunity to do it, try it. In my living scenario upon moving in I bought one wireless switch and ran a flat ethernet cable under a carpet for two yards from one room with the router to my entertainment console. It took less than 20 minutes and I'll never need to touch it again.

A lot of people here spend more than 20 minutes per game tweaking settings to eek out maximum performance and minimum input lag.

--

Also it's worth mentioning Capcom didn't make this decision in a vacuum right, they would have done the research using the millions of hours of data accrued from previous online games, discussed this at length in their developmnt teams and come the conclusion the user benefit of having this knowledge available is worth implementing this feature.

They know way more about the effect of wireless vs wired connections and made an evidence based call to include this feature in the hope it encourages more players to consider the effect of connection type on their games.

Last edited:

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017
I just don't get it
Why lessen the quality.
Going into settings isn't the same thing as getting a physical cable in your home. There are a multitude of variables why people wouldn't be able to and you shouldn't expect them to. THAT said, I always run an ethernet cable to my devices. I hate dealing with wifi.

HiLife

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I just don't get it
Why lessen the quality.

It's like he said, he doesn't care lol. I understand *why* wired is better, as a person whose secondary PvP preference are fighters (first being shooters), but casuals playing on WiFi was always the likeliest outcome. I'll be testing both, wired on my main mig for real sweaty play then casual lobbies on WiFi via deck.

Numb

Oct 25, 2017
Going into settings isn't the same thing as getting a physical cable in your home. There are a multitude of variables why people wouldn't be able to and you shouldn't expect them to. THAT said, I always run an ethernet cable to my devices. I hate dealing with wifi.
It's like he said, he doesn't care lol. I understand *why* wired is better, as a person whose secondary PvP preference are fighters (first being shooters), but casuals playing on WiFi was always the likeliest outcome. I'll be testing both, wired on my main mig for real sweaty play then casual lobbies on WiFi via deck.
Yh getting a cable is easy. On PC you gotta go out of your way to get wireless which costs extra. Having no choice but wireless I can understand. And those that are well informed but don't care thankfully we have the option to decline matches.

Springy

Oct 28, 2017
I just don't get it
Why lessen the quality.
You think super casual players like me who suck and will drop the game after a few weeks should run cable through their house for a single game? You've been given the ability to identify and avoid me already and let me tell you I'm shit enough at fighting games you're going to have a dull experience playing me whether I'm wired or not, so why push this?

Save your energy to argue against the "wifi warriors" complaining about being identified.

HiLife

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Yh getting a cable is easy. On PC you gotta go out of your way to get wireless which costs extra. Having no choice but wireless I can understand. And those that are well informed but don't care thankfully we have the option to decline matches.

You can also no contest during the match too, which makes me hope MK1 and T8 will include.

Numb

Oct 25, 2017
You think super casual players like me who suck and will drop the game after a few weeks should run cable through their house for a single game? You've been given the ability to identify and avoid me already and let me tell you I'm shit enough at fighting games you're going to have a dull experience playing me whether I'm wired or not, so why push this?

Save your energy to argue against the "wifi warriors" complaining about being identified.
Being casual or not(I mostly play casual lobbies) has nothing to do with having better connections for you and others online.
If you havent done it before for any game I dont expect it and understand.
You can also no contest during the match too, which makes me hope MK1 and T8 will include.
FGC devs take eternity to copy each other just look at rollback and instant rematch

HiLife

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Being casual or not(I mostly play casual lobbies) has nothing to do with having better connections for you and others online.
If you havent done it before for any game I dont expect it and understand.

FGC devs take eternity to copy each other just look at rollback and instant rematch

Lol true. I thank ArcSys for implementing rollback as well they did for a bigger budget game.

SF6 for implementing more QOL for the genre.

NRS for continuing highly produced single players.

Let's see what Harada actually does this time to set a QOL standard for the FGC.

Numb

Oct 25, 2017
Lol true. I thank ArcSys for implementing rollback as well they did for a bigger budget game.

SF6 for implementing more QOL for the genre.

NRS for continuing highly produced single players.

Let's see what Harada actually does this time to set a QOL standard for the FGC.
ASW learnt real hard when GBVS dropped in the middle of a pandemic and launched with shitty online. The rest had to be dragged and threatened after like SNK lol
The only devs that deserve props are NRS since they went out of their way early at great cost to implent great netcode.

dont even get me started on Tekken with Harada and his 3s

thecaseace

May 1, 2018

That's the other thing that gets me about this. I imagine a reasonable number of the 'never wired' contingent on Era are people that have PCs that are in fact wired.

If you told Era that running an ethernet cable improved graphical performance I guarantee you most people wouldn't bat an eyelid and there would be a long running thread of cable wiring techniques to ensure maximum fps and consistent frame-time.

HiLife

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Wow that's neat. Does it just make a small pop up on the side of the other person or does it freeze the match untill they say yes or no?

It's just a pop up on the bottom of the screen during gameplay saying hold "start" to no contest. Both players can this pop up once the game detects its lagging I assume. It's popped up for me when the rollback frames got too high.

If both accept then the game just stops saying you've both agreed to opt out.

Rimkrak

Oct 26, 2017
It's just a pop up on the bottom of the screen during gameplay saying hold "start" to no contest. Both players can this pop up once the game detects its lagging I assume. It's popped up for me when the rollback frames got too high.

If both accept then the game just stops saying you've both agreed to opt out.
Ok that's pretty cool. I remember seeing it pop a couple of times during the betas, but the matches didn't have that many rollback frames,I wonder what condition activates it

May 29, 2023
It's a great option for people who want better choices for how they play. It's especially important if there's limitations to how often you can play. There's nothing worse than feeling like I've settled for a lesser, more frustrating experience when I don't have a lot of free time.

I don't play fighting games online but I know they just work differently than other genres. I do play Pokémon online and the only thing I can compare it to is raid partners. If there was a function to choose higher level raid partners I would. It's a frustrating experience and I wish I had more control over the way I play.

I definitely feel for people who use Wi-Fi. It stinks to feel excluded. However I think a majority of people won't mind.

Indelible

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
PS5 is the only console I have a wired connection for this very reason, playing anything with pinpoint accuracy over wi-fi is a miserable experience.

Vex

Oct 25, 2017
Ok that's pretty cool. I remember seeing it pop a couple of times during the betas, but the matches didn't have that many rollback frames,I wonder what condition activates it
yea I dont think your connection has anything to do with it either? I tried testing it at the arcade cabs, and I ALMOST got it to consistently pop up by just not moving at all. I can never reproduce it 100% though. Probably because they dont want people to exploit it.

AllBizness

Mar 22, 2020
This feels like something that should be illegal. How are you going to go into somebody's house (virtually) and sniff out their wireless router etc without their permission? How's that fair? I don't know how much you all know about networking, but invading somebody else's privacy is serious business. You do not have that right to know what I'm running in my house. This is huge.
No, it's just showing you the quality of the other players connections, fighting games have always done this.