What system are you primarily playing Street Fighter 6 on?

• PlayStation 5

Votes: 330 41.5%
  • PlayStation 4

Votes: 12 1.5%
  • Xbox Series X

Votes: 86 10.8%
  • Xbox Series S

Votes: 17 2.1%
  • PC / Steam

Votes: 350 44.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

BeaconofTruth

Dec 30, 2017
Gameplay wise, it's certainly in the convo for my favorite fighting game, and that's the most important part of any video game for me. Feature set wise hard to argue against, remains to be seen how great of a job they do with each season going forward, character decisions and balancing, while retaining the spiderweb of decision making the game has you manage.

So far, so good. It, Tekken 8, and KoF15 two years ago, it's been a fantastic 3 years of just fkn banger fighting games. I still need to buckle down n learn Uni 2, and City of Wolves looks fuego.

What did we do to deserve the genre being so lit right now 😭

Grifter

Oct 26, 2017
Oh wait, I thought you were referring to the ex color.

Akuma's special gift is a fish hook you earn on the Shadaloo quests. And it will net you I believe 40 points. This quest is started on Metro City at night. And coincidentally I was late to realize this; I literally kept giving Akuma leftover gifts that only raised the bond level by 1-2 points. Though I personally did all that after I completed the the XP stuff, because I earned some bond points on the way.
👍🏼‍ Haven't touched the 1p stuff so I didn't even know you could get gifts besides the classic outfits. Since you mentioned hooligan, I hopped on to see what that meant, sat at the cabs, and didn't lose a single round spamming that until it told me I'd maxed out on AP for the day (which is apparently capped). Wanted to nab some OSTs, so thanks!

Zeta Ori

Oct 25, 2017
NY
Finally decided to put down my fight pad and learn how to use an arcade stick for this game I can already tell this is about to be a struggle 😭

On one hand it's so much more precise when it comes to my directional inputs that I can't believe I didn't do this earlier...

On the other, I am having serious issues with moving my fingers quick enough to press the appropriate buttons mid-fight and it's causing some real rookie-tier loses on my end.

I guess SF6 is just that good that I'm willing to keep learning anyway 👀

JusDoIt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
South Central Los Angeles
Finally decided to put down my fight pad and learn how to use an arcade stick for this game I can already tell this is about to be a struggle 😭

On one hand it's so much more precise when it comes to my directional inputs that I can't believe I didn't do this earlier...

On the other, I am having serious issues with moving my fingers quick enough to press the appropriate buttons mid-fight and it's causing some real rookie-tier loses on my end.

as an arcade stick user myself, pad is probably the best way to play this game, but prioritize whatever way is most fun for you.

ShinUltima

One Winged Slayer
Oct 30, 2017
Trinidad, West Indies
cant go back to playing fighting games on a television, too spoiled with how they play on PC and on a monitor.

I'd be using the TV as a monitor. I'd get a proper monitor, but no one sells any actual good monitors in my country. Closest would be a LG 27" which is 2560 x 1440 - I have a RTX 4080 so I can do 4K gaming, so I'm going to get a 4K monitor dammit! - which is horribly overpriced for what you're getting. The Samsung QN90C is also really overpriced BUT, as I said, it's the best I've been able to find (and only in one outlet) that also fits my desk. I can get a 65" Samsung for the same price at another retailer but that is of no use to me since it won't fit my desk. And every other place only sells TVs from 55" and above, or really garbage stuff below 50".

I could import a monitor, which I was considering initially (and might yet do for a cheaper second monitor which I plan to put in portrait mode for productivity purposes), BUT there's always a risk in bringing in TVs/monitors if something is wrong with them. Literally the last monitor I got - an Asus VH236H in 2010 - came with a dead pixel, but returning it wasn't an option due to shipping cost. The Samsung's main advantage is that it is here, and I can return it if something is wrong with it.

Zeta Ori

Oct 25, 2017
NY
as an arcade stick user myself, pad is probably the best way to play this game, but prioritize whatever way is most fun for you.

I always defaulted to pads because of their familiarity and had intended on staying that way, but recently they have been causing cramping issues with my hands during longer game sessions since I'm pretty heavy-handed, especially when things get intense in the match.

While the arcade stick will take some getting used to, at the very least it is far more comfortable, with none of those issues showing up after similarly lengthy sessions so far.

One other personal benefit I've noticed is that I think the pad had been a bit of an double-edged sword for me so to speak, that familiarity it gave me lead to me not stepping outside my comfort zone and as a result, certain skills like my combo execution and timing stopped improving in a way the arcade stick is forcing me to acknowledge.

JusDoIt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
South Central Los Angeles
I always defaulted to pads because of their familiarity and had intended on staying that way, but recently they have been causing cramping issues with my hands during longer game sessions since I'm pretty heavy-handed, especially when things get intense in the match.

While the arcade stick will take some getting used to, at the very least it is far more comfortable, with none of those issues showing up after similarly lengthy sessions so far.

One other personal benefit I've noticed is that I think the pad had been a bit of an double-edged sword for me so to speak, that familiarity it gave me lead to me not stepping outside my comfort zone and as a result, certain skills like my combo execution and timing stopped improving in a way the arcade stick is forcing me to acknowledge.

Ah. You got old head hands like me. There are three categories that define fighting game controllers: ergonomics, efficiency, intuitiveness. No controller does all three well, so you basically prioritize what matters most for you.

Arcade stick: +ergonomic, +intuitive, -efficient
Pad: +efficient, +intuitive, -ergonomic
Leverless: +ergonomic, +efficient, -intuitive

BeaconofTruth

Dec 30, 2017
We suffered through input delay and bungled attempts at rollback for decades and years.

We have reached the promised land after all of the struggle.

There was also a stretch of just where I was just bleh on current fighting games (which I'll admit is because the genre has a high bar on the gameplay front). Tekken 7 being fun aside, and SFV eventually being good, after that is stretches of KoF14 not being as good as it could be, MVCI being a mixed bag, dragonball being not nutty enough for a tag game, I still think strive is watered down guilty gear, the vanilla state of type lumina was definitely not all that.

Now all of a sudden we're cooking with gas. It's one thing that SF6 is such a feature rich and complete package: excellent netcode, matchmaking, UX stuff like how fast things are between finding matches, animation, visuals, quality t raining mode are all dandy, but how the game plays? This systems forward ass game thatt they decided on and how well it works across the board. All the characters have so many tools on offense, the buttons aren't stubby, you know we aren't playing the haves and haves not game of oh this person doesn't have a 3 framer, this persons buttons are all short, yada yada.

Defensively your tools are great, even for the sake of creating more offense. You have to play active defense, hold down back, and hit back isn't the end all be all solution to life. It's sick. Trying to protect both your health bar and the drive meter in matchups, it's such a fun game. It's such a fun long set game too.

Spectator wise never had doubts, SF scene too loaded with talent to be truly boring.

you're a better person than me. I bought a hitbox in 2018 because I wanted to fix up my execution in Rev2 against my fighting game demon in my friends group......and when trying to learn it, it would take me 3 games before I was sore loser about it, and went right back to a gamepad. I'm too old dog to give up the analog at this point ;_;

Zeta Ori

Oct 25, 2017
NY
Ah. You got old head hands like me. There are three categories that define fighting game controllers: ergonomics, efficiency, intuitiveness. No controller does all three well, so you basically prioritize what matters most for you.

Lmao yeah old head hands is spot on, decided I'd rather take the plunge into learning arcade stick then mess them up even more. Appreciate the breakdown as well, I also looked into going leverless but that was a step too far for me.

you're a better person than me. I bought a hitbox in 2018 because I wanted to fix up my execution in Rev2 against my fighting game demon in my friends group......and when trying to learn it, it would take me 3 games before I was sore loser about it, and went right back to a gamepad. I'm too old dog to give up the analog at this point ;_;

That was my problem as well, I actually got my arcade stick back when SF6 first released, played with it for about 2 days and went right back to pad after getting stomped on in the battle hub.

Fast forward a year later and I'll get off the game with my hands feeling like I need to sleep with them resting in a vat of icy hot to take the pain away. Suddenly I'm a lot more open to taking those L's while learning if it means no more of that 👀

KENMASTERS1

Apr 9, 2021
i really wish they would remake old tracks to be dynamic but alas i think i'd have better chances to win the lottery than for Capcom to do that lol

May 26, 2023
God you're an idiot
SF6 is one of my all timers. Not fighting games, just games in general.

I just bitch a bit because I think there's certain aspects that could be even better, all those details like they got right with Monster Hunter World that can make returning to the game feel just that much more alive. I love dropping into MHW on occasion and seeing what festivals are going on, what kind of decor is in the multiplayer hubs. I feel it's picking up and getting better as the game approaches its 1 year mark, and will continue to feel better as more and more stuff is released for it. I also think the c suite at Capcom is souring the water with their Funbux.

Honestly the future is pretty bright. The balance in this game is beyond great, the gameplay is kinetic and addicting, the art is fantastic. All of the characters are really good, even Manon and Wee Hawk.

skillzilla81

"This guy are sick"
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
There was also a stretch of just where I was just bleh on current fighting games (which I'll admit is because the genre has a high bar on the gameplay front). Tekken 7 being fun aside, and SFV eventually being good, after that is stretches of KoF14 not being as good as it could be, MVCI being a mixed bag, dragonball being not nutty enough for a tag game, I still think strive is watered down guilty gear, the vanilla state of type lumina was definitely not all that.

Now all of a sudden we're cooking with gas. It's one thing that SF6 is such a feature rich and complete package: excellent netcode, matchmaking, UX stuff like how fast things are between finding matches, animation, visuals, quality t raining mode are all dandy, but how the game plays? This systems forward ass game thatt they decided on and how well it works across the board. All the characters have so many tools on offense, the buttons aren't stubby, you know we aren't playing the haves and haves not game of oh this person doesn't have a 3 framer, this persons buttons are all short, yada yada.

Defensively your tools are great, even for the sake of creating more offense. You have to play active defense, hold down back, and hit back isn't the end all be all solution to life. It's sick. Trying to protect both your health bar and the drive meter in matchups, it's such a fun game. It's such a fun long set game too.

Spectator wise never had doubts, SF scene too loaded with talent to be truly boring.

100% agree. There was a period where lots of fighting games thought that taking away extensive parts of kits and options and taking out core parts of what lots of people would consider to be essential to the IP's identity in an attempt to chase an audience that wasn't there. And then the people who cared were left with a shitty game that didn't appeal to them or the imaginary audience.

I look at something like City of the Wolves and keeping so much of MotW just 100% in tact, like Feint cancels, and think that wouldn't have happened if the game came out 6 or 7 years ago. But I think devs are realizing that you don't need to sacrifice anything to chase an audience...just make a good game and give everybody something fun to do in it.

jman1954goat

Linked the Fire
May 9, 2020
100% agree. There was a period where lots of fighting games thought that taking away extensive parts of kits and options and taking out core parts of what lots of people would consider to be essential to the IP's identity in an attempt to chase an audience that wasn't there. And then the people who cared were left with a shitty game that didn't appeal to them or the imaginary audience.
You say this as if GG Strive isn't the Best Selling, Most popular Game in the series (By alot)

New IP Granblue is also in a good spot. There's value in simpler more accessible fighting games.

Edit: there's alot of nuance about the complex game design balance between Simple and advanced gameplay and Old vs new design in a series but I don't have time to go into all that at the moment.

I would love to discuss this topic more at a later date tho.

Last edited:

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
You say this as if GG Strive isn't the Best Selling Most popular Game in the series (By alot)

As a PS1 GG fan I have such complicated feelings about Strive (positive and negative) and I honestly don't entirely know how to elucidate them.

But the number one thing I can say is my god ASW is so fucking bad at online play it makes my head spin. For a company that cannot be bothered to have any meaningful single-player content in their games, it's shocking how bad their online system is. It's maddening.

I'm glad the series is doing well for them but it definitely has that PS3/PS4-era "this game is just a skin for online matches and god help you if you want to do anything else" feel to it.

skillzilla81

"This guy are sick"
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
You say this as if GG Strive isn't the Best Selling, Most popular Game in the series (By alot)

New IP Granblue is also in a good spot. There's value in simpler more accessible fighting games.

Edit: there's alot of nuance about the complex game design balance between Simple and advanced gameplay and Old vs new design in a series but I don't have time to go into all that at the moment.

I would love to discuss this topic more at a later date tho.

I didn't mention GG. Wasn't even thinking about it when I made that post. Loved that game in season 1 and have hated every decision they've made with the game since.

I also think Granblue one of the best fighting games out there and shows how much of a lie it is that inputs are what keeps casuals away from the genre.

Zombegoast

Oct 30, 2017
PC. I have a wireless XSX controller (worst d-pad in the universe) and I've been plugging a DS4 in via USB since this morning. Its d-pad is better than the XSX controller but it still feels really imprecise.

DS4 and Sony D-pad in general uses membrane for their D-pad systems over mechanical meaning it will wear out after heavy use. The right d-pad stopped responding half of my inputs and had to triple tap to do something as simple as dashing. Also Micro USB-B is terrible and it will last a few months before it starts to disconnect from your PC.

And the word D-pad goes to MSI GC30 followed by 8bitdo Ultimate and then Duelsense

Series X is the 2nd best d-pad for 2D fighters

Rellyrell28

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I still wonder why this game doesn't have the frame delay pause feature that was in SFV and other FGs of recent history.

Jaded Alyx

Oct 25, 2017
The thing with the Xbox Series d-pad is that you have to use it differently from other d-pads. At least that's what I've found. I can't rest my thumb over the middle and rock it around like I would with others - I have to more deliberately position my thumb on the outer edge and actually press the directions. When you get used to that, it does feel like it would be very accurate.

Not that I use a pad for FGs whenever it can be helped but yeh.

Tuorom

Oct 30, 2017
Xbox has a great pad because it is one big unit and is much more precise and comfortable. Pads like on the playstation always sucked for me because the grooves gave me blisters and you don't get that continuous feeling between directions as the thing is segmented. Xbox gives the tactile feel of rolling around a circle which works much better for me.

Tuorom

Oct 30, 2017
A psycho powered S2 character roster could be neat. I'd be sad not to get any 3S characters tho :(

So could potentially be Dictator, Menat, Silat/Eskrima person?, Mexico person? (it's El Fuerte reviving a starving horse with his culinary skill ;)

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
A psycho powered S2 character roster could be neat. I'd be sad not to get any 3S characters tho :(

So could potentially be Dictator, Menat, Silat/Eskrima person?, Mexico person? (it's El Fuerte reviving a starving horse with his culinary skill ;)

I think that's a bit too much Psycho Power, especially considering we already have JP and Ed.

Holundrian

Oct 25, 2017
People have talked about 3s character years and now psycho powered season additions. I feel like for me it would be just more exciting to not ever lean into a theme like that. So people won't be able to know who is next.
Only thing I've been cheering for is more people from different parts of the world but I feel like that kinda leaves it as open as anything.

nded

Nov 14, 2017
Bison's retired and raising horses (from the dead) now. Leave him alone.

That description made me think of Raoh from Fist of the North Star. Empire rebuilding warlord could be a fun take on Bison.

Last edited:

Quacktion

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
If they bring back Bison Im buying the whole season pass even though I decided against it.

Ryce

Oct 25, 2017
It's nobody's fault since the English localization isn't very clear, but everyone is misinterpreting the Bison lore from the latest update. The "bodies" found in Egypt and the Philippines aren't hinting at Menat or any other playable character -- the specific term used in the original Japanese translates to something like "base body" (素体), and it's how Abel and Seth are described in SFIV. The term is used in Japan to refer to naked dolls before they are sculpted into something more human. Think of the bodies in the background of the Ruined Lab stage. The World Tour notes are basically just saying that Neo Shadaloo found useless, damaged blank slate replacement bodies in Egypt and the Philippines while searching for the replacement body that's been possessed by Bison.

Yerffej

Prophet of Regret
Oct 25, 2017

So true. I used to play on pad until 4. Stick ever since. I'd make the switch to leverless as I love the input feel more all around if I could do proper inputs for complicated moves on P1 side...but I cannot get over that hump. It's quieter, feels better to press, and takes up less space...but I'm so much better with stick. Pad feels like a foreign object at this point, and I don't get how Mena, Punk, Du, Smug, ect do what they do.

ShinUltima

One Winged Slayer
Oct 30, 2017
Trinidad, West Indies
I'm definitely an "Old Hands" player. Been playing stick since I got the C&L Championship Stick for SNES in 1992 and have never (willingly) looked back. Too old to learn an entirely new control scheme just for the sake of it now, I ain't 15 any more LOL. I already modified by SFV TE2 stick to have a bat top and a tighter spring and that's Good Enough™ for me.

BBboy20

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I'd love to as well but if you a pad player your kind of shit out of options for PS5 pads with fighting games in mind outside of the Hori Octa which I think is hot trash.
It's crazy that no one has figured out how to...find other ways to use other controllers and the company that is in partnership with Sony is still taking their sweet time with their converter.

Status
Not open for further replies.