• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

spman2099

Oct 25, 2017
tiermaker is fun

WwPRlJ6.png

Given the two choices, I feel like Twelve, Necro and Oro are a better fit for the Remy category...

Quacktion

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Remy is cool I like him, even tho his motivations are dumb and he needs a tiny rework.

Deleted member 1102

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
FWIW I've come around on Remy and consider him OK but it's hard to really care about a character that the creators clearly didn't care about in the first place.

Also the Necro slander in this thread is unforgivable.

Deleted member 18857

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Remy needs his dad to be introduced in the game to become a character.
He's like KOF's Iori in 95-96, but if Kyo hadn't been in the game. It's difficult to care for a vendetta against someone we've never seen.

Deleted member 8644

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
After not playing fighting games for years I've tried the free trial on pc (which barely runs on mine...) and started messing around with Gill. This is so damn fun

Zombegoast

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
If Seth really is the last character then it's the most disappointing roster since 3rd Strike which is understandable because how expensive sprites are.

SFV introduced the dolls in story and non of them are playable

Korigama

Oct 25, 2017
If Seth really is the last character then it's the most disappointing roster since 3rd Strike which is understandable because how expensive sprites are.

SFV introduced the dolls in story and non of them are playable
Pretty sure SFIV was sitting right there when accounting for disappointing rosters, but okay...

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, SFV has problems, and even with Falke I can't say V's roster is worse than IV's, which is so forgettable that upon revisiting it, the only new characters I'd want back are Abel and maybe Gouken. The rest really don't appeal to me all that much at all. Plus V did a way better job at taking existing characters and making them feel fresh compared to the same characters in SFIV.

Doctrine Dark

Nov 13, 2017
SFV's roster was something I didn't like initially.

It eventually grew into one of the better rosters for a SF game.

So despite its many problems, roster is not one of them. For me at least.

Zombegoast

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Nothing's disappointing of having all SF2 characters, ontop of Alpha and popular characters from 3rd Strike. While you have to settle with Urien and Gill in SFV. Oh and Alex.

MizerMan

Oct 25, 2017
Nothing's disappointing of having all SF2 characters, ontop of Alpha and popular characters from 3rd Strike. While you have to settle with Urien and Gill in SFV. Oh and Alex.

The fact that Urien, Oro and Alex wasn't in SF4 disappointed me. El Fuerte existing disappointed me. T-Hawk and Dee Jay being constant disappointments had disappointed me, so I didn't care when they weren't in SFV. Duo and Trowa being in the game disappointed me.

I would take the roster from SFxT over SF4's any day.

ClearMetal

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands

There's this theory floating around that there are at least two animators (or teams most likely) working on SFV characters and one of them does these very dynamic animations and the other's characters animate much more stiffly. It seems Sakura is done by the latter team, as is Falke and Poison. Whereas characters like Menat, Zeku, Blanka and G would be done by the former.

Don't know if the theory is actually true, but there does seem to be a pattern.

Deleted member 1102

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Sakura was probably my biggest disappointment in SF5 because she just felt off, not even in terms of comparison to SF4 but just in general. Her animations weren't as good, her eyes were huge in some costumes but not others and her stance looked completely off in every costume but her default. Definitely not what I imagined when I imagined her in this game. I'd for sure put SF4 Sakura above SF5 Sakura which is shocking to me.

Kirblar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
There's this theory floating around that there are at least two animators (or teams most likely) working on SFV characters and one of them does these very dynamic animations and the other's characters animate much more stiffly. It seems Sakura is done by the latter team, as is Falke and Poison. Whereas characters like Menat, Zeku, Blanka and G would be done by the former.

There are way more than two animators.

ClearMetal

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands
Sakura and Falke for sure, but Poison? What is wrong with Poison?
Nothing. It's not a bad thing, not per se. Just like elaborate animation isn't necessarily a good thing. (I personally feel they overdid it with some of Zeku and Blanka's animations.) But Poison in general feels more limited in her movement and animations than characters like G, Menat, etc. Look at her kicks as well. It's just as very straight and to the point, not unlike Falke.

There are way more than two animators.
More than two teams more 6 characters a year?

Deleted member 18857

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
But Poison in general feels more limited in her movement and animations than characters like G, Menat, etc.
I actually think Poison has the most discrete and tasteful flourishes of the game. The shoe, the pelvic thrust after the throw...
OK, maybe "tasteful" was not the best word. But definitely better than the excessive flourishes of Zeku, or the disaster of Sakura and Falke.

Aesthet1c

Oct 27, 2017
So I loaded this up today to play all the free characters, but they still show unavailable to me. I downloaded the trial thinking that would fix it, but I can't seem to unlock all the characters. Do I not get that if I already own the game? Or is there something special I need to do?

OP
OP
jett

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017

They took out much of her "youthful exuberance" and turned her into a more "serious" martial artist, because they aged her up I guess. It has nothing to do with "bad animators" handling her, like some people say, but her new active poses are definitely less memorable than they used to be. The quality of her animations is good though.

Yunyo

Oct 25, 2017
I actually think Poison has the most discrete and tasteful flourishes of the game. The shoe, the pelvic thrust after the throw...
OK, maybe "tasteful" was not the best word. But definitely better than the excessive flourishes of Zeku, or the disaster of Sakura and Falke.

I think Zeku and Poison are animated quite well, unlike Sakura. Sakura feels like they had some new guys give it a go or perhaps tried a new method of animating.

Though Poison's molotov toss sometimes looks a little weird, I especially like the fluidity and follow through of her whip stance attacks.

N_Cryo

Avenger
Nov 6, 2017
west coast
Current Sakura has a more jaded attitude. I guess when you're an adult, the prospect of street fighting as a living just isn't worth it. Doesn't help that every other tournament has some shadowy organization behind it.

Aug 26, 2018
日本
They took out much of her "youthful exuberance" and turned her into a more "serious" martial artist, because they aged her up I guess. It has nothing to do with "bad animators" handling her, like some people say, but her new active poses are definitely less memorable than they used to be. The quality of her animations is good though.

Not all of Sakura's animations are bad. But a lot of them give off the air of her not knowing what she's doing while attacking. Timing, weight, balance, etc. That'd be okay if this was 15-year-old Sakura. Not so much 22-year-old Sakura.

MachGao

Oct 28, 2017
I thought the Sakura thing made its rounds back when she first came out and every animation someone didn't like was "NRS tier"?

Not saying that I can't see what the problem is with Sakura for some people but I remember that was the short period when it happened because there were complaints about Cody being the same.

Minataur

Oct 25, 2017
The complaints about Cody and Poison never made sense to me; a lot of their animations are 1:1 with their sprites from Final Fight which is an awesome throwback imo, and they both have a ton of cool flourishes to make up for the perceived "stiffness."

Sussudio

Oct 27, 2017
I get home from work and check my social media. See that people are still spreading the Sakura image around and some are using it as proof that SF4 had better overall animations than SF5.

Feels like I'm experiencing some Deja vu here. I swear that sakura image was made when she was first released and these arguments already happened. What's going on? SFV hating season back in full force already or something?

spman2099

Oct 25, 2017

That is nonsense. Sakura is, by and large, animated fantastically. Do I think she has the best animations in the game? I do not. I think she has an attack or two that falls a little short when compared to the best of the best in SFV. However, the idea that she is animated poorly is just ridiculous.

What weirds me out about this shit is how specific this type of criticism is to Street Fighter V. Literally every fighting game has a few wonky animations. Even the beloved Third Strike (rightfully so, I believe) has some animations that are pretty iffy. However, it is only Street Fighter V that people paw through looking for animations that they can criticize. Hell, we have even seen MULTIPLE instances of people using still images to create an untrue narrative about certain animations being repeated (none of them have been). It is fucking crazy.

Deleted member 18857

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Sakura's problem is that a lot of her key poses are weak. She doesn't engage her core in a lot of moves. She is well animated, she has nothing to do with NRS characters, her problems are more similar to the ones many characters in KOF14 have. The person who did her animations is good at his job, but bad at martial arts.
Cody has a few problems, but they are mostly limited to a few moves like his standing light kick (actually I can't remember any other of his moves that's off).

OP
OP
jett

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Not all of Sakura's animations are bad. But a lot of them give off the air of her not knowing what she's doing while attacking. Timing, weight, balance, etc. That'd be okay if this was 15-year-old Sakura. Not so much 22-year-old Sakura.

Eh... A lot of them? The only normals of hers that I would say are kinda wack are cr.mk and cr.lk in SFV.

Sakura animates great by and large

spman2099

Oct 25, 2017
Sakura's problem is that a lot of her key poses are weak. She doesn't engage her core in a lot of moves. She is well animated, she has nothing to do with NRS characters, her problems are more similar to the ones many characters in KOF14 have. The person who did her animations is good at his job, but bad at martial arts.
Cody has a few problems, but they are mostly limited to a few moves like his standing light kick (actually I can't remember any other of his moves that's off).

This is definitely the issue with the few Sakura animations that do come up a little short. There is at least one punch I can think of where she doesn't torque her hips as much as she should.

Deleted member 1102

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I dislike Sakura's stance more than her animations. It works in her default and nostalgia costumes but in her other costumes she just looks weird, like she doesn't fit them. Combined with the fact her eyes are for some reason huge in her story and battle costumes and yeah she just turned out super weird.

Deleted member 18857

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
People will legit try to find the smallest thing they can complain about in sfv lol.
SF5's real problem is that it's inconsistent. SF3's animation was consistently great, SF4 was consistently mediocre, SF5 is all over the place. The majority of the cast are the best in the entire business, which make the ones that don't meet this high quality stand out more.

Status
Not open for further replies.