Panic Freak

Oct 26, 2017
Spotify makes it so easy to find new bands. I'm 33 and I find new music at least every couple of months.

TwoCoins

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Houston Tx
In my early 20's i use to listen to my favorite new bands and spend a lot of time online looking for other bands that sounded similar.

ghostemoji

Oct 27, 2017
This is pretty accurate to my life. I spent most of my 20s collecting records and going to shows all over the country, but now I don't even know where to find new bands. I'm pathetic.

Brazil

Actual Brazilian
Oct 24, 2017
São Paulo, Brazil
I'd rather die than stop looking for new music. There's no feeling like the thrill of enjoying a new beat that really captures you for the first time.

I have some friends who seem like they stopped looking for new music back when they were 15 or something. They're really boring people.

RigVertigo

Oct 31, 2017
35 years old. I follow a few music reviewers on YouTube and will typically save albums if the description sounds like something I would like. Also over the past few years I've gotten into entire genres like black metal, city pop, and whatever genre you'd classify low-fi hip hop as.

crienne

Oct 25, 2017
This sounds miserable to me. I'm almost 34 and explore more genres than ever before.

Firefoxprime

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Yeah....I legit just turned 28 yesterday. I love finding news songs in many many genres. Just think about....there's a song out there that's playing RIGHT NOW. You've never heard it or of its' artist. So, you'll have to randomly stumble upon it. Maybe...

Anyways, thank God for Shazam.

Just turned 28 and I listen to more new music now than I did 8 years ago. What?

Hey! Wassup fellow leo

KillLaCam

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Seoul
I stopped when I was like 20 lol. I'll definitely listen to new stuff but I never spend time looking for it.

CountAntonio

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think I ever really did. I listened to rock radio stations then when streaming started happening that was about it for radio. That being said streaming has lead me to many new bands I had never heard of before becoming favorites.

petethepanda

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
chicago
That's how it's gone for many of my friends, but 28 was when my tastes finally started to expand, and yeah, it was pretty much around the time I dove into Spotify. The music I listened to had become pretty static up to that point, but over the last few years I've been listening to entirely new genres for the first time since high school.

(It's going to be fascinating to look back after a few more decades and see how the internet has affected the concept of generational divides when it comes to media.)

Glenn

Oct 27, 2017
I pretty much only listen to new music. I actually need to start listening to more classic and old albums.

Oct 27, 2017
35 years old. I follow a few music reviewers on YouTube and will typically save albums if the description sounds like something I would like. Also over the past few years I've gotten into entire genres like black metal, city pop, and whatever genre you'd classify low-fi hip hop as.

Black metal and death metal ftw :)

Got any favorite bands? I gotta say, i love Gorgoroth and Satyricon

Kayo Police

Nov 4, 2017
I would say this applies to me but I just only discovered City Pop like 6 months ago. Been face deep in that ass since.

m0therzer0

Mobile Gaming Product Manager
Verified
Nov 19, 2017
San Francisco bay area
I lasted a little longer than that. I recognize now that in finally a bit bored with my classics, though and let Spotify help make selections to get my musical foot out of the grave.

LOLDSFAN

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not 28 just yet, but I know this will never be true for me.

I'm very picky on what sounds "good". I can only listen to a good song for so many times before I get tired of it. Listen to it too many times and it starts to actively annoy me.

That's why I hate getting asked what my favorite song of all time is. It's like well I like this song at the moment, but I know it'll change once I find something better.

Dark1x

Digital Foundry
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Definitely not the case here. Always on the lookout for new bands and albums that I may not have heard. Some days I just spend an hour digging deep looking for new stuff.

MilkBeard

Oct 25, 2017
Not true for me. I've been seeking new music lately. I get tired of the same stuff after a while. When I was young, I think I was more particular and wanted only a specific thing. But since my tastes have broadened.

It might be because I listen to music a lot while working. I like finding new things to add to my playlist.

TheMan

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
interesting. I was just thinking about this the other day in my car while listening to muse (absolution and prior, of course.) With youtube and spotify, I have access to hundreds of thousands of albums and songs. I just have to click and I can listen. There has never been an era in history where this was a possibility. But I don't click the new stuff. I listen to the same old shit. 35 btw.

StiLteD

Nov 11, 2017
London
38 and listen to new music all the time. See also new shows, news games, new books, new places, new food. Same thing. Why stop being interested? Seems a bit like a kind and of resignation that things are as good as they'll ever be. Which, I don't know really, feels more defeatist than contentment to me.

Each to their own though really, I'm not one to judge.

Cocolina

Oct 28, 2017
I'm 33 and listen to new music on the reg. Unfortunately the usual streaming services only want to serve me old stuff so I have to dig myself. I can see this general rule applying to more casual listeners though.

poptire

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I'm 34 and gave up on music years ago so this checks out.

I'm much more interested in film nowadays, which I find more fulfilling.

Chaos2Frozen

Nov 3, 2017
I mean, I guess I don't actively seek them out but I would always welcome new songs as long as I like them.

Mostly from Anime theme songs or whatever just happens to be on the radio at the moment that caught my attention.

jb1234

Very low key
Oct 25, 2017
Thanks to the beauty of Spotify, I try to study a new composer's work every week. Classical is a truly inexhaustible genre, with centuries of masterpieces.

Bob Beat

Oct 25, 2017
I'm going backwards. 'Rediscovering' old hits. People ask what I want to hear and i say James Brown.

Polioliolio

Nov 6, 2017
I used to hear new music by working at a record store. Then I quit that, an mostly listened to videogame music or chiptune, or playlists for a few genres, like music from the 30s and 40s, jungle/tribal kind of stuff, jazz instrumental, and others. I don't know the songs, I just like the music. I strongly prefer listening to a bunch of good music I've never heard than the same popular songs over and over like I used to when I was listening to mainstream stuff.

Then I got into bandcamp and discovered synth wave. It was one of those moments where I couldn't believe how much I loved what I was hearing. The new music I listen to now is mostly synth stuff, and retro vibe vapor kind of thing. All I know is I can not go back to mainstream music. I just hate it.

I don't actively seek, but I stumble across new stuff thanks to resetera and bandcamp and that's good enough for me for now.

Yossarian

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, I've heard about similar studies. However, I'm 37 and I'm still always on the look out for new music. I try to listen to something new everyday.

Deleted member 10612

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I actually really liked the times where lable people would scout new talent, take them under contract and then push them as the new hotness. Most of the bands in the genre I listen to did get a gig at a label because they had something going for them.

it's kind of hard to filter all the music available, now that bands can self publish there is no label to act as a filter anymore. I need to spend much more time to find something I like and rarely is it something I truly love. But I try to find new stuff even with 32, helps that I bought expensive listening equipment so I need to justify these purchases by listening a lot to music.

Edit: I'm also the kind of person that listens to a record for weeks or months. When I like something I like something.

kinoki

Oct 28, 2017
Hitting 35 and I check out new releases on Spotify every single week. Also listening and adding records from my Discover Weekly every week. Have hit my ceiling off how many albums I can save a couple of times.

roguesquirrel

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
27 and while ive slowed down on discovering new music its mostly because podcasts have eaten up a bigger chunk of my listening time and not because ive actively stopped looking.

NekoNeko

Coward
Oct 26, 2017
both my parents still listen to all the tracks from their youth. every god damn day. blows my mind. not a single song younger than 35 years old.

CaviarMeths

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Western Canada
Man I feel like 28 is when I really started to branch out lol. Spotify has been a great tool for that. Listening to tons of genres and artists that I never would have explored without it. Used to be all classic rock and metal all the time, and now I listen to classical and jazz more than anything, but still trying to listen to new stuff every week.

Oreoleo

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
Sounds about right. My music tastes EXPLODED around 18 through my early 20's. I was voracious in my consumption of new forms and styles of music for YEARS. The last radically different genre I really got into was around the age of 24 and maybe 2 or 3 years after that is when I stopped specifically seeking out new artists pretty much across the board. Of course I've still discovered new artists and new albums since then, but they've all been in musical genres I was already interested in (which is easy, admittedly, as I have pretty eclectic taste). And it's largely been stuff I hear in games/movies/etc as opposed to, say, reading album reviews on Pitchfork or doing Google searches in the style of, "bands that sound like.."

Oct 26, 2017
I really don't see the point of things like this. Who gives a shit about the average age for this or that. Just forget about others expect you to behave and live how you want.

Kuro

Oct 25, 2017
I find myself following labels more than trying to look for random stuff nowadays. A good consistent label like Matador Records is nice to follow.

BocoDragon

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I've definitely sought out new genres in ages past 28. Most of what I'm listening to these days wasn't even in my rotation before the age of 30.

But to be fair, I wonder if the new genres I love are in actuality hooking into the same grooves as the stuff I loved in earlier life.