• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

JustJavi

Oct 27, 2017
New Zealand
So 14 hours into the game. Once you figure out a reliable source of food and water the game becomes quite easy, but still very enjoyable. I'm very impressed with this game.

Revolsin

Usage of alt-account.
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Excellent write-up.

A lot of aspects you mentioned there like the intuitive design and major focus on exploration actually reminded me of BotW, and that's awesome. I'll be sure to get it now.

Sacul64

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Gonna bump this topic since I got this for free this weekend from the epic store and love it. Just lost all track in time while playing.

Huey

Oct 27, 2017
I just keep hearing too many amazing things about this game, I'm gonna grab it on PS4. Dusk Golem also doesn't throw praise around lightly.

OP
OP
Dusk Golem

Dusk Golem

Local Horror Enthusiast
Oct 25, 2017
I just keep hearing too many amazing things about this game, I'm gonna grab it on PS4. Dusk Golem also doesn't throw praise around lightly.
I hope you enjoy it, I do honestly think this is the best survival game. I think at it's best, Subnautica is an absolutely engaging and engrossing experience with a very interesting world that has fantastic elements of beauty and nightmares, it's a game that can be very captivating from a world building perspective and mechanical as you figure out how to use all these doohickys to help you reach new areas and survive underwater, and learn about this ecosystem that is alien but interesting. It lags a bit at this one part when you start needing to craft these bigger vehicles to delve deeper, but it's a very good game with a surprisingly engaging background story and full of lots of surprises, mystery, and pretty well done survival elements. My tip I'll give you at the outset is near where you crash, look out for pink fish to cook since they also give you water back (water is actually harder to secure at the start than food since you need a system to purify water to drink without any potential negative effects, but pink fish swimming around the beginning area give you water back pretty well).

Lowrys

Oct 25, 2017
London
I love the look of this game, but hesitant about buying on XBX due to the time it took them to get to fill release, and the prospect of it being updated, like the PC version, after I finish.

Any impressions from XB1 users?

Huey

Oct 27, 2017
Ridiculous, petty concern here - but I find the goggles on the margin of the HUD to be kind of distracting and ugly, is there any way to disable it?

Also, just by way of an update, I think since this thread was created, the developer that people ITT were justifiably avoiding the game for has been fired. So if folks have lingering concerns, at least good to see that Unknown Worlds did the right thing.
https://www.kotaku.com.au/2018/02/subnautica-dev-fired-over-hateful-statements/

Mr. Keith

Oct 31, 2017
I was hoping a topic would pop up after the game was free on the Epic Store. I've been playing it a bunch and really loving what I've seen so far. I'm liking how the game keeps giving you better tools to explore the world easier. I feel like I've some a long way from just holding my breath.

My only complaint was it seemed like there was a time limit in the first hour or two of the game that really wasn't there. I ended up restarting thinking I did something wrong but it was all part of the story.

water_wendi

Oct 25, 2017
The game really is amazing. i didnt know anything about it going in other than it was ocean survival so imagine my surprise when in the first minute i found out the ocean is alien. ive only put a handful of hours into it but its probably the best survival game ive played outside of 7 Days to Die. Its definitely the best for exploration.

water_wendi

Oct 25, 2017
Oh i forgot to add i now know of the new game so while i got the orignial for free im going to be there day 1 for Below Zero.

ASilentProtagonist

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 25, 2017
why is it so scary? i played it a little bit and the cartoon style is putting me off. how can such a cartoony game be that scary? :O

The deeper you go, the game gets really, really creepy. The sounds the creatures make, and how they look. The darkness, and low visibility. The leviathan creatures as well made me almost put it down for good. Atmosphere is superb.

Deleted member 7148

Oct 25, 2017
It's one of my favorite games this year yet it's a game that I have to muster up the courage to play because it scares the hell out of me.

Deleted member 34714

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 28, 2017
This is one of those games I played many times through with each update in EA and it was all a good experience (well maybe, some of the cyclops nerf hurts). One of the best games for deep sea immersion. Thumbs up, looking forward to the next expansion/dlc. This game is best played with headphones because the sounds combined with going deeper and not seeing much will mess with ya.

Oct 27, 2017
I want to play this but the ocean scares the shit out of me in real life. I'm not sure I could handle going deep in this game if the atmosphere is that thick.

Grisby

Oct 29, 2017
How's it run on the 1X? Dusk has me intrigued.

I get pretty unnerved by open water though but I want to get over that fear. I like the idea of building a cool base in some blue water and just messing around.

Ploid 6.0

Oct 25, 2017
I got it for free on the Epic launcher. I'm liking it so far.
Same, how big is the download?

I've started this month with a few huge games for myself, and loaded up a PC with games for a xmas gift. I should just say screw it and go all out since I only had one over cap month this year but I don't want to test my ISP and it's data cap "guidelines."

exodus

Oct 25, 2017
I highly recommend playing with the Cinematic Filter or whatever it's called. Night and deep sea become very dark and the immersion jumps up a few levels from that alone.

Rodney McKay

Oct 26, 2017
I own this on Steam but still haven't played it (of course now it's free on Epic, really need to stop buying stuff if I'm not going to play it right away).

How does Subnautica handle material/loot collection and crafting? The only other "survival" type game I've played much of is No Man's Sky and that part of the game I really wasn't a big fan of.

I know it a pretty manjor part of Survival games, I just don't enjoying crafting systems much at all (at least in No Man's Sky or any other games I've dabbled in). Like you collect a bunch of materials to craft some component, then you use other material to craft fuel, then you use other material to craft a spring, and only then are you able to craft the thing you wanted in the first place.

I think what I'd like is if you have the recipe or blueprint to make something and you have all the base materials required to make the components that make the thing you want, you should be able to cut out the step of individually crafting all the component parts and just go straight from the base material to the finished product.
Does Subnautica do anything like that, or something else to streamline the process?

Deleted member 34714

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 28, 2017
Same, how big is the download?

I've started this month with a few huge games for myself, and loaded up a PC with games for a xmas gift. I should just say screw it and go all out since I only had one over cap month this year but I don't want to test my ISP and it's data cap "guidelines."

My Subnautica folder is 13GB on Steam. Download should be less with compression, definitely can't be more than that.

Jugendstil

Oct 25, 2017
How is performance on PS4? I'm not super picky, I just don't want to deal with any outright game breaking bugs or crashes.

Bhonar

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
is this game hard at all?

I love the graphics and art style and setting from the screenshots I've seen, but I don't like playing hard games

Shrike

Oct 25, 2017
I own this on Steam but still haven't played it (of course now it's free on Epic, really need to stop buying stuff if I'm not going to play it right away).

How does Subnautica handle material/loot collection and crafting? The only other "survival" type game I've played much of is No Man's Sky and that part of the game I really wasn't a big fan of.

I know it a pretty manjor part of Survival games, I just don't enjoying crafting systems much at all (at least in No Man's Sky or any other games I've dabbled in). Like you collect a bunch of materials to craft some component, then you use other material to craft fuel, then you use other material to craft a spring, and only then are you able to craft the thing you wanted in the first place.

I think what I'd like is if you have the recipe or blueprint to make something and you have all the base materials required to make the components that make the thing you want, you should be able to cut out the step of individually crafting all the component parts and just go straight from the base material to the finished product.
Does Subnautica do anything like that, or something else to streamline the process?

Material gathering is definitely a thing, but you don't really need to gather most materials in massive quantities. The most common materials (Titanium and quartz specifically) you can end up using A LOT of if you get into base building so that can be kind of annoying having to constantly be fetching those, but generally it's not too bad and is aided by a base room you can build that can help you locate material deposits within range. Recipes are really simple, there are a few "sub-components" you have to construct but they're reused between recipes so you can always stock those components if you want. The crafting system makes it really fast and easy to make those on demand anyway. The depth of crafting is probably comparable to No Man's Sky but the crafting itself is much streamlined with less fumbling about in clunky menus.

If you absolutely hate crafting you probably will get annoyed by it but I'd say to at least give it a chance first. The game is great and one of the few survival games I've actually come to really like.

Messofanego

Oct 25, 2017
UK
Leviathans and Nightmares of the deep you say? Yeah that's a hard pass for me. I don't understand why I find underwater stuff so scary. It could be the exact same game but in space and I would be totally fine.

Everything about it sounds amazing though.
Maybe because you don't interact with outer space in real life compared to underwater?

Coinspinner

Nov 6, 2017
I played about a year ago, and at the time it was very buggy. At one point I was deep in a cave system and drove the Sea Moth straight up, expecting to see the caver ceiling soon. I never did, I apparently passed through a ceiling that never loaded and was out of bounds surrounding a cave system full of secret hidden goodies I probably should not have yet. Then I drove into once of the locked rooms and was stuck in there, needing to reload. That was pretty neat, but the further I got the more frequently I was suffering glitches and stopped.

Still, I really loved the exploration and building. (I turned hunger off.) I'll give the game another shot now that it's out of early access.

Nameless

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah I got it when it launched on PS4 and the game has been rapidly shooting up my GOTY list - incredible atmosphere and sense of mystery. Great audio design too, definitely play with headphones or your sound system up LOUD.

Rodney McKay

Oct 26, 2017
Material gathering is definitely a thing, but you don't really need to gather most materials in massive quantities. The most common materials (Titanium and quartz specifically) you can end up using A LOT of if you get into base building so that can be kind of annoying having to constantly be fetching those, but generally it's not too bad and is aided by a base room you can build that can help you locate material deposits within range. Recipes are really simple, there are a few "sub-components" you have to construct but they're reused between recipes so you can always stock those components if you want. The crafting system makes it really fast and easy to make those on demand anyway. The depth of crafting is probably comparable to No Man's Sky but the crafting itself is much streamlined with less fumbling about in clunky menus.

If you absolutely hate crafting you probably will get annoyed by it but I'd say to at least give it a chance first. The game is great and one of the few survival games I've actually come to really like.
That does sound nicely streamlined coming from No Man's Sky. Never got more than a few planets in because just making fuel to go to the next system required so many crafted components. I'm sure it gets easier the further you get in the game (like most survival games), but I definitely never got to that point.

Rookhelm

Oct 27, 2017
I pretty much never play traditional survival games, but I love Subnautica. Though, I turned off having to require food (and water? is that a thing? I don't remember), so it became more of a crafting game than a survival one, which I liked. There's also enough story there to keep you focused, and because it's not procedurally generated, I never felt like I was just getting a meaningless world..it felt hand crafted.

Playing with a controller felt clunky to me, but mouse and keyboard were fine (played on PC, obviously). Sometimes I felt annoyed with full storage space, but there are ways to mitigate that...floating lockers, persistent dropping of items and leaving them behind or in a safe spot, vehicles with built in storage.

I guess my favorite part is that you're slowly progressing and unlocking bigger and better things. Slow swim speed? eventually you craft swim flippers. Oxygen seem low? You learn how to craft bigger tank. You just keep building on the things you craft.

wafflebrain

Oct 27, 2017
It'd been awhile since I fired up my Vive and wanted to play something seated and relaxing, I feel as far as PCVR is concerned this is absolutely one of the most peaceful experiences you can play as long as you're in creative mode, as in: no O2 or food requirements. Just floating below the surface of the water watching the waves undulate as the god rays pierce through and refract the light...it's bliss. Another thing I like to do besides just lazily swim any and everywhere and gawk at everything is to spawn a Cyclops submarine, get into the cockpit area and shut off the interior lights and just drink in the view outside the large view port, this is especially wonderful as dusk is setting (seriously this game has some of the prettiest time of day lighting) in deeper waters. Oh but yeah...survival something or other :p

On that note there isn't enough underwater exploration games in general, we need a new 3d Ecco like last gen...but ya know, with this gen's visuals :)

EtaMari

Dec 17, 2018
I was very curious about this game and after reading such a positive feedback I'm going to give it a chance. Thanks.

AnimeJesus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Got this for free on the Epic store but the game stutters in places which is quite annoying and distracting. How optimized is the game on consoles...I can either play this on a 1X or a Pro.

Nemesis_

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
I trust Dusk Golem a little bit more than the average poster, so maybe i will give this a shot. I just don't know if the gameplay loop is enough to sustain me. I might give it a shot or a rent or something when I find some time over the Christmas break.

Paxton25

May 9, 2018
I trust Dusk Golem a little bit more than the average poster, so maybe i will give this a shot. I just don't know if the gameplay loop is enough to sustain me. I might give it a shot or a rent or something when I find some time over the Christmas break.
It's free on epic launcher so it's worth a shot.