AuthenticM

Son Altesse Sérénissime
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Jason Schreier did say to avoid the third, fourth, and fifth games, or at least seemed to imply that they weren't worth much, though I think that's just him (and I could be wrong) being in that state of mind where he's encapsulated by a game or episode in a series that's the pinnacle of said series and thinks everything afterwards is bad because it went "downhill" (not necessarily because it's "bad" though). I guess I'll avoid the third game in the series and just for 4/5 of them. Or at least the first two. To be fair, I have a knack for finding beauty in even the most underrated or maligned games out there so I suppose I'll even like the third one or find some enjoyment from it.

Thanks for the effort-post, btw.
Thanks! Will do. I'm convinced.

😁
Suikoden 5 is very much a great game. I'd say it's the best after 2. If you have the opportunity to play it, definitely do.

The only bad game in the franchise is 4. S3 is divisive because it changed the combat system (though it's still good), and the story has three protagonists whose chapters can be played in any order for 2/3rds of the game. Mind you, it's still a good game. It's actually the game that introduced me to the franchise after I read Gamespot's review of it. I liked it enough to play through it twice!

So yeah, in your case, I'd say play any of the first five games except for 4. You can't go wrong. If you just want to play one of them, then go for 2, and 5 after.

Oct 31, 2017
Jason Schreier did say to avoid the third, fourth, and fifth games, or at least seemed to imply that they weren't worth much, though I think that's just him (and I could be wrong)

He's dead wrong on that ! :P

Fortunately some of the others including a couple of JRPG ones have done okay, and Sea of Stars gave a surprising amount of trailer footage and this one has very experienced people in all the primary roles on it.

I backed Sea of Stars as well :)

NCR Ranger

Oct 25, 2017
So I just got a survey email asking a few questions. Mostly how I heard of it and what I use to access to Kickstarter. I did tell them to make sure it is on Steam at launch.

KujoJosuke

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think 4 is that bad. I mean, it's definitely the worst of the 5, but I've played it like 3 or so times and had fun each time.

Zetta

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
In for the Physical and Digital, would like to get the one with the OST but didn't see any digital version in that option.

Oct 26, 2017
Also, it's worth pointing out that Suikoden II has some of the most amazing low resolution 2D spritework ever. Not just having 108+ characters, but the environments and all the unique animations. It's just ridiculously pretty and holds up super well.

suikoden2_02.jpg

And the art was amazing:
suikoden2_art.jpg

tiebreaker

"This guy are sick"
Oct 25, 2017
I opened Youtube today, but nothing of this game on my feeds. Time to unsubscribe to all these JRPGs channels smh

Oct 31, 2017
I will back this up. I personally think they lost something when they went 3d, but I wouldn't say avoid them. Well, at least not 3 and 5. I don't remember much about 4 anymore besides younger me did not like it as much.

Like 3, 3D is rough looking, the sailing is slow and coupled with a high encounter rate.

I enjoyed it back then but it's clearly the worst Suikoden with S1. Still a good game to play though !

I think there's a dual pack port on PSP, right?

Yup. It's supposedly widescreen and has better looking effects during magic spells. That's pretty much it I think.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
ATL
So the team behind Eiyuden is primarily using the kickstarter to help shop around for publishers? It seems they aren't solely reliant on kickstart backings to fund development, which is great, but I've also been burned in the situation with Shenmue 3 where the publisher forced a bunch of last minute changes to distribution and backer gifts.

Looking more closely at the kickstarter, it seems that they actually have messages tackling each area of hesitancy I would normally have with a Kickstarter. It least on the surface, it seems that this is better planned out than other kickstarters (I guess it's good to learn from the mistakes made on other projects).

Laxoon

One Winged Slayer
Jan 24, 2018
New Game + in Suikoden could be such a great thing. Just imagine having access to every non story critical hero you would've in your first play through just show up much earlier to mix up your cast on repeat playthroughs. Of course there would need to be balancing so as not to steamroll everything, probably resetting the levels of each character would help, but having early access to late stage runes and such would be so cool too.

Last edited:

Vamphuntr

Oct 25, 2017
There's more backer's tiers than the usual Ubisoft preorders and collectors edition chart. Achievement unlocked I guess.

Oct 27, 2017
New Game + in Suikoden could be such a great thing. Just imagine having access to every non story critical hero you would've in your first play through just show up much earlier to mix up your cast on repeat playthroughs. Of course there would need to be balancing so as not to steamroll everything, probably resetting the levels of each character would help, but having early access to late stage runes and would be so cool too.
This was why I loved that one Suikoden 2 bug that let you push an immovable gate to get to areas FAR beyond where you were supposed to be in the story. It let you recruit some side characters that you shouldn't get that early and some of them even had lines of dialogue for main story and other side quests that they shouldn't have had because they weren't supposed to be in your party yet.

Raspada

Oct 27, 2017
The general consensus is 2 is the best Suikoden, but I personally love 5 more. The Queendom of Falena was such an interesting setting to me. I personally wasn't into 3 as much.

All this talk of Suikoden is making me want to replay 5 a fourth time.

Laxoon

One Winged Slayer
Jan 24, 2018
This was why I loved that one Suikoden 2 bug that let you push an immovable gate to get to areas FAR beyond where you were supposed to be in the story. It let you recruit some side characters that you shouldn't get that early and some of them even had lines of dialogue for main story and other side quests that they shouldn't have had because they weren't supposed to be in your party yet.
Absolutely, having Humphrey and Futch early on was such a game changer that made me love replaying. Even with the fan patches I always leave that bug on lol.

Merc_

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
Entering Matilda early will always be one of my favorite childhood game glitches.

OmegaDL50

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Philadelphia, PA
Almost $25,000 away from hitting $1 Million and it hasn't even been 7 hours since the campaign started. Getting 1.5 Million in the first 24 Hours seems like it could really happen at this point.

To think I thought this campaign was gonna max out at like 2 Million. This feels unreal.

Wereroku

Oct 27, 2017
To
Wow. Now that is something that even most CRPGs don't have. And this is based (loosely) on a Chinese novel? If so, I might read the novel as well since I'm a sucker for Chinese novels and literature.
To be fair generally the MC is one of the most powerful characters in the game. Both because you have to have them in your party and for pretty good in game reasons. The first one especially has the second strongest spell in the entire series while also being a melee monster.

Foot

Mar 10, 2019
Have any of the larger video game news sources reported on the Kickstarter yet? Rpgfan and rpgamer have, but they aren't big.

hersheyfan