Bunzy

Banned
Nov 1, 2018
Damn, for some reason I'm just seeing this game. Looks amazing and could be the full package that I wanted with octopath traveler

kodax_shc

Oct 27, 2017
Southern California
I like games that use a day / night clock system but does this game have a 'time limit', like a game over if you didn't do things fast enough or does this let you play at your own pace?

KujoJosuke

Oct 25, 2017
I hope the game has a good mom character like Gremio

replaying S1, it's great how much of a mom he is.

I like games that use a day / night clock system but does this game have a 'time limit', like a game over if you didn't do things fast enough or does this let you play at your own pace?

No, Suikoden generally uses plot beats to move things forward and lock you out of recruits. So as long as you don't move the plot forward you can run around and recruit characters and do side quests.

criteriondog

I like the chili style
Oct 26, 2017
Quick question!
When backing the $38 digital version, does that include a choice for platform? Or is it only for PC? I want to back on PlayStation or Nintendo (if that becomes an option).

OmegaDL50

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Philadelphia, PA
Quick question!
When backing the $38 digital version, does that include a choice for platform? Or is it only for PC? I want to back on PlayStation or Nintendo (if that becomes an option).

A digital copy is exactly that, a Digital copy on your platform of preference. Platforms probably won't be locked down for quite awhile and when that does happen, they'll sent out mass survey to all backers to lock their choices in for their reward and platform choices to get the ball rolling on finalizing production stuff. This isn't likely to happen though for a good 6 to 8 months prior to the games actual release.

criteriondog

I like the chili style
Oct 26, 2017
A digital copy is exactly that, a Digital copy on your platform of preference. Platforms probably won't be locked down for quite awhile and when that does happen, they'll sent out mass survey to all backers to lock their choices in for their reward and platform choices to get the ball rolling on finalizing production stuff. This isn't likely to happen though for a good 6 to 8 months prior to the games actual release.
Thank you!

Zaber

Alt account
Banned
Sep 11, 2019
I'd say that this campaign was perfectly run if it wasn't for the updates. They keep changing the main page of the campaign. It's rather annoying if you are following this daily.

I want to back, and I most likely will, but I am undecided on digital or physical. I'm afraid of getting hit with customs fees.

OmegaDL50

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Philadelphia, PA
I need to some help looking for something particularly hard to find.

I want to buy the Suikoden II OGS Complete which combines Vol. 1 and Vol. 2 in a single box. I can also buy Vol 1. and Vol 2 individually (both volumes about $30 each) which are much easier to find, but if preferable I would like to own the entire set if it's still out there to purchase.

OmegaDL50

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Philadelphia, PA
I'd say that this campaign was perfectly run if it wasn't for the updates. They keep changing the main page of the campaign. It's rather annoying if you are following this daily.

I want to back, and I most likely will, but I am undecided on digital or physical. I'm afraid of getting hit with customs fees.

They address the matter of custom fees and tariffs in the FAQ on the KS page. They aren't locking shipping options yet but they did suggest you make sure you pick a shipping region in your country of origin to avoid this.

Alice

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
The amount of people ITT sleeping on Suikoden 4 and Suikoden Tactics make me sad. I liked 3, 4 and Tactics far more than 5, 5 just felt shallow and empty for a Suikoden game, it lacked the heart.

Wereroku

Oct 27, 2017
The amount of people ITT sleeping on Suikoden 4 and Suikoden Tactics make me sad. I liked 3, 4 and Tactics far more than 5, 5 just felt shallow and empty for a Suikoden game, it lacked the heart.
I don't agree with you about 5 but I definitely enjoyed 4 more then most people apparently.

OmegaDL50

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Philadelphia, PA
Using Streamlabs OBS is an absolute pain in the ass. It wasn't playing nice with my AverMedia LGP2 Capture card which is plugged directly into my PS3 for the source.

I didn't really want to but looks like my Suikoden I and II Stream is gonna have be done via emulation from my dumped PSX discs. At least I can probably apply the fan patches and play in optimal manner. I don't have the time to fiddle around getting my the PS3 feed from the capture device to work nicely with the streaming software, since I'm going live in an hour at 7PM EDT.

Why can't this stuff be simple. Capture video and audio from PS3 and capture audio from headset Microphone, that is all it needs to do.

DeadMoonKing

Nov 6, 2017
I found one!!!

EDIT: I found one that was pretty much brand new.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/GENSOSUIKO...917351?hash=item263fba16a7:g:yTUAAOSw84pfAn72 This will be a worthwhile purchase!

The copies you linked on eBay are the Taiwanese copies from Ever Anime and I'm not sure they're officially licensed...
(Kinda moot since it's a used copy anyway and, you know, Konami...)
The music and quality are probably the nearly same as the Japanese ones (I have a their versions of the Wild Arms and Chrono Trigger OSTs from when I was kid), but I thought you should know.

Look! The Pie!

Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017

I think 5 was full of heart and second only to 2 on that front, to be honest. 4 felt half-finished in almost every aspect. Characters were cardboard cutouts apart from Kika, Lino, Snowe and Elenor, the villains were boring, barely seen and had no personal connection to the hero, the Island Nations was not done justice at all as a setting, and the story felt like it had all meat stripped from the bones. All IMO, of course, but I genuinely can't comprehend how someone can think 5 felt shallow and empty compared to the one game in the series most people regard as skippable. I'm happy you enjoyed 4 so much, though, I wanted to love it as much as the others but it just didn't live up to any of its potential for me.

Last edited:

sven

Oct 31, 2017
The story in 4 was just so boring and dull. Just as it started to pick up and get semi-interesting I realized I was like 2 fights from the final boss and the game was just about over.

MCD

Honest Work
Oct 27, 2017
All Suikoden games are good. But the nature of the first games being 2d means they aged much better than PS2 wannabe 3d of third and fourth game.

5 mix of 2d and 3d is good but the enemy encounters is yuck. Same for 3 backtracking and 4 only 4 characters in battle.

They all got some issue I guess.

spman2099

Oct 25, 2017
The amount of ppl telling ppl to skip 3 throwing me off. Shit 3 scored higher than 2 🚶🏾

To be fair, Suikoden 2 came out at a weird time. It was around that time that games using sprites were catching a lot of flak for it. Hell, there were some reviewers that even criticized SotN for being stuck in the past. It was a weird time. Suikoden 3 seemed like it was treated more fairly.

That being said, you know I got your back with Suikoden 3.

All Suikoden games are good. But the nature of the first games being 2d means they aged much better than PS2 wannabe 3d of third and fourth game.

I would argue that the very simple sprite work and animations of the first game, paired with its more simplistic dialog and story, have caused it to age less gracefully as well. I think the only one to remain largely untouched by father time is Suikoden 2.

Last edited:

falcondoc

Oct 29, 2017
Suikoden 3 is a GOAT jrpg ... except for the back tracking. Its bad unforunately. Love pretty much everything else

Akselziys

Aksys Games
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles
All the mainline Suikoden games are great!

With all the flack Suikoden IV gets, it's not a bad game, and story wise, it becomes much better when paired with Suikoden Rhapsodia as a full experience, since it's essentially "half" a game haha.

The Suikoden I, II, and III trilogy is also bolstered in its amazingness when played together back to back.

And Suikoden V was definitely a return to form and is neck and neck as my favorite Suikoden when compared to II.

There are also the Suikogaiden games, which delve into Nash and Sierra's story and are pretty great if you don't mind the visual novel format.

And Suikoden Card Stories is cute haha

However, the unifying factor is all the art is amazing!

The Genso Suikoden Kiwami Encyclopedia, which was around 1100+ pages, was sold on the Konami Japan store years ago and is a bible of all things Suikoden :)

DJgqHHj.jpg

It contained special key art illustrations by both Junko Kawano (Suikoden I, IV, and Rhapsodia artist) and Fumi Ishikawa (Suikoden 2 and 3 artist)

Here are some samples of the illustrations that I scanned from my copy ;)

Suikoden I - V Heroes by Fumi Ishikawa

EuS3w8K.jpg

Suikoden III Heroes by Fumi Ishikawa

O7T9Gu8.jpg

Suikoden III Villains by Fumi Ishikawa

6lugy81.jpg

Suikoden I Key Art Reimagined by Fumi Ishikawa

VzNDQkO.jpg

Suikoden I Ted & Tir McDohl by Junko Kawano

ome5vCA.jpg

And one last spoilery image!

Suikoden II The After Years by Fumi Ishikawa
(years later post game spoilers)

Vv1bMF9.jpg

It's really cool to see older Riou, Nanami, Jowy, Jillia Blight and Pilika! Also, Jowy with short hair!

A very heart warming illustration :)

Taka

Apr 27, 2018
The stretch goals are back up.

"New Shores" was a Korean localization, hah.

No idea what "Real Brass" is. It's priced like a new character but the hidden text doesn't look like it?

falcondoc

Oct 29, 2017

With all the flack Suikoden IV gets, it's not a bad game, and story wise, it becomes much better when paired with Suikoden Rhapsodia as a full experience, since it's essentially "half" a game haha.

The Suikoden I, II, and III trilogy is also bolstered in its amazingness when played together back to back.

And Suikoden V was definitely a return to form and is neck and neck as my favorite Suikoden when compared to II.

There are also the Suikogaiden games, which delve into Nash and Sierra's story and are pretty great if you don't mind the visual novel format.

The Genso Suikoden Kiwami Encyclopedia, which was around 1100+ pages, was sold on the Konami Japan store years ago and is a bible of all things Suikoden :)

DJgqHHj.jpg

It contained special key art illustrations by both Junko Kawano (Suikoden I, IV, and Rhapsodia artist) and Fumi Ishikawa (Suikoden 2 and 3 artist)

EuS3w8K.jpg

O7T9Gu8.jpg

6lugy81.jpg

VzNDQkO.jpg

ome5vCA.jpg

Vv1bMF9.jpg

It's really cool to see older Riou, Nanami, Jowy, Jillia Blight and Pilika! Also, Jowy with short hair!

Wow thanks for the awesome post. I had not seen some of that art. Nor had I heard of that encyclopedia!

foxuzamaki

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I coulda sworn this was also coming to switch with the caveat that it might switch over to switch 2, did I misread?

DeadMoonKing

Nov 6, 2017

DJgqHHj.jpg

EuS3w8K.jpg

O7T9Gu8.jpg

6lugy81.jpg

VzNDQkO.jpg

ome5vCA.jpg

Vv1bMF9.jpg

That book is my grail.
I have the one they made before it that covers up to 3, but daaaaamn is the kiwami one amazing.
Also, is that final illustration canon, I wonder?

Akselziys

Aksys Games
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles
That book is my grail.
I have the one they made before it that covers up to 3, but daaaaamn is the kiwami one amazing.
Also, is that final illustration canon, I wonder?

Yeah, it's an amazing book, and it took me a while to scan the whole thing being 1100+ pages lol

In regards to that final Suikoden II illustration...

I'd consider it canon since its inside the Encyclopedia and drawn by Fumi Ishikawa as a glimpse of what their future looked like :)

Also, going on a family picnic a few years later is pretty wholesome and great! And love seeing everyone as their older selves as well haha

DeadMoonKing

Nov 6, 2017
Yeah, it's an amazing book, and it took me a while to scan the whole thing being 1100+ pages lol

In regards to that final Suikoden II illustration...

I'd consider it canon since its inside the Encyclopedia and drawn by Fumi Ishikawa as a glimpse of what their future looked like :)

Also, going on a family picnic a few years later is pretty wholesome and great! And love seeing everyone as their older selves as well haha

I hope I can track it down someday.
That illustration makes me really happy.
Now if there was one of Tir and Kasumi happily ever after, I would be on cloud 9.

AuthenticM

Son Altesse Sérénissime
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017

DJgqHHj.jpg

EuS3w8K.jpg

O7T9Gu8.jpg

6lugy81.jpg

VzNDQkO.jpg

ome5vCA.jpg

Vv1bMF9.jpg

damn, I want this book lol.

*looks at eBay*

...those prices my god.