• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 29, 2017
UK
Probably going to pledge, looks really good and super well planned.
Is Suikoden still worth trying out while waiting for this? I'm kinda swamped in Jrpgs right now but if it's worth it'll I'll add it to my play list
I just started 1 and it very much is a decent time so far. I mean if this kickstarter is already at a million I think quite a few people would say these games are still worth playing.

Voror

Oct 25, 2017
Looks cool. And yet another reminder I need to play Suikoden. I have the ones that were available on my Vita from a sale years ago but just haven't gotten to it yet. Same with Xenogears.

Oct 27, 2017
this looks crazy good. prolly too good to tbh. but if they can get close to that boss fight target hnngngng
R&B Studios said:
The basic party number is six members. However, we have a few interesting design choices around how to innovate on different battles. For example, we want to provide as many unique battle situations and animations as possible. Using dynamic camerawork and the right effects will give them more visual punch. Also, the backgrounds won't just be some two-dimensional piece of wallpaper that occasionally changes. For example, if you are battling in the forest and have a Ninja character, they will have the special ability to hide behind trees. Also casting an earthquake magic can change the topography and battle conditions greatly.

It looks like they're wanting every battle or at least most important battles to look like that. Whether or not they can achieve it is one thing but that's what they're aiming for.

OmegaDL50

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Philadelphia, PA
You don't pick your platform immediately. That won't happen for quite a long while when they send out the backer surveys when it gets closer to locking things down closer to release. This usually the case for majority crowdfunding campaigns.

Also Kickstarter doesn't take you money immediately. That only happens at the very end of the campaign.

Oct 27, 2017
The mention army battles at the end of this interview.

I also believe 1v1 battles were also brought up at some earlier point in this thread.

That is a hype interview. All the great design philosophy stuff about making every character meaningful both in story and gameplay and integrating the two that I'd expect from Murayama. But this really caught my eye:

Also, the backgrounds won't just be some two-dimensional piece of wallpaper that occasionally changes. For example, if you are battling in the forest and have a Ninja character, they will have the special ability to hide behind trees. Also casting an earthquake magic can change the topography and battle conditions greatly.

Sounds like the kind of thing you maybe say during a crowd-funding campaign that may or may not happen, but I love this idea, further emphasizing how unique each character's battle skills are.

Oct 27, 2017
That is a hype interview. All the great design philosophy stuff about making every character meaningful both in story and gameplay and integrating the two that I'd expect from Murayama. But this really caught my eye:

Also, the backgrounds won't just be some two-dimensional piece of wallpaper that occasionally changes. For example, if you are battling in the forest and have a Ninja character, they will have the special ability to hide behind trees. Also casting an earthquake magic can change the topography and battle conditions greatly.

Sounds like the kind of thing you maybe say during a crowd-funding campaign that may or may not happen, but I love this idea, further emphasizing how unique each character's battle skills are.
One of my favorite things they said were about what your characters are doing when they're not in your party. Like you can see them on the overworld in another party fighting or some shit. That would be hype as long as they can't permanently die from that.

Deleted member 3190

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Any recommendations for the best way to play some (or all) of the Suikoden games? I have the first 4 on PSN, but should be able to get backups of 1 and 2 off my vita if emulators are preferred.

OmegaDL50

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Philadelphia, PA
The 108 Stars of Destiny, I usually associate with the ally characters. So the fact that Suikoden III mixes both enemies and allies as part of the SoD felt a bit strange to me. Yuber for example is one of the Stars but he never joins your party and is always treated as an enemy character.
The Luc campaign being the exception of course

I find that aspect of Suikoden III unusual and maybe this is why I don't like it as much as compared to 1,2, and 5.

KujoJosuke

Oct 25, 2017
Any recommendations for the best way to play some (or all) of the Suikoden games? I have the first 4 on PSN, but should be able to get backups of 1 and 2 off my vita if emulators are preferred.

For the first three, the best way is to play in a way that lets you access the previous game's save file. Suikoden 2 lets you import 1's save for some bonus stuff that's really good, and 3 let's you import 2's to get some extra skits for the plays you can have your party members perform.

2 to 3 is less important than 1 to 2. It's only important in 3 if you wanna see everything, but there's a lot of people who have played 3 and don't even touch the plays.

Foot

Mar 10, 2019
The 108 Stars of Destiny, I usually associate with the ally characters. So the fact that Suikoden III mixes both enemies and allies as part of the SoD felt a bit strange to me. Yuber for example is one of the Stars but he never joins your party and is always treated as an enemy character.
The Luc campaign being the exception of course

I find that aspect of Suikoden III unusual and maybe this is why I don't like it as much as compared to 1,2, and 5.
I liked that a lot, that the stars of destiny included everyone important who was involved in achieving that destiny. It was most likely just a cost cutting measure, but a clever one!

Cooking mini game funded!
OP
OP
Xavi

Xavi

Oct 27, 2017
Lightning for Smash
COOKING MINI GAME FUNDED!

r0OaFjB.png

Oct 27, 2017
They're definitely going to hit all the stretch goals that are visible while I'm sleeping. I hope the team is waking up to all this good news and that I'll wake up to some cool new stretch goals. Good night.

Mudo

Oct 25, 2017
Tennessee
Amazing day and the most excited I've been for a KS.
This is one of the "most" series I've always been sad about being gone.
Just like Bloodstained though, it looks like we are basically getting a sequel and I couldn't be more excited :)

I have not pledged yet because I want a physical and digital copy of the game and the Vinyl, but the tiers in the 200s only have physical and vinyl :(

Im not sure what to do?
Could I pledge twice and get the base digital fake and then also the tier with the vinyl??

Aadiboy

Nov 4, 2017
Everything looks good so far, but I hope they don't succumb to feature creep because of too many stretch goals.

Riversands

Banned
Nov 21, 2017
Am i still the only fan of Suikoden 4?
The ship navigation can be fun if they want it to be especially with ps5 at hand. What if the ship is sailing at the same time you are controlling your character? You dont have to stare at monotonous world map, but you can do whatever you want while the ship is on the way to set destination. You can also take a look at your surrounding too if you want

Kaivan

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't think so, there's enough space in the picture for a few more.
That's good to know.

I can't seem to find any info on voice acting. Please let it be the next stretch goal. I'm aware that some fans would prefer no VA for maximum nostalgia, but I can't stand RPGs without one these days. I dropped Alliance Alive HD because it lacks VA it's so unbearable watching the cutscenes.

Oct 25, 2017
I think this is the first kickstarter game I've ever been interested in. Like everything is on point, the art style, the gameplay, the environments, etc... Usually one of those aspects are off which is offputting but I think they're nailing everything they've shown so far.

Buckle

Oct 27, 2017
I still 'like it', and think playing Tactics makes it a better game.

The only Suikoden game I don't think is worthwhile / any good is Tierkreis.
I have a deep irrational hatred for Tierkreis becuase it doesn't take place in the same world as the first five games.

I just can't deal with rebooting Suikoden in any way with the amount of work they've put into that setting.

Deleted member 5334

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That's good to know.

I can't seem to find any info on voice acting. Please let it be the next stretch goal. I'm aware that some fans would prefer no VA for maximum nostalgia, but I can't stand RPGs without one these days. I dropped Alliance Alive HD because it lacks VA it's so unbearable watching the cutscenes.

Curious about that myself.

That said, bringing that up, The Alliance Alive does feel like, looking at the Japanese dialogue and timings, was intended to have it. Hell, it feels like they may have even HAD a temporary staff voice over for getting the timings right (which even in Japanese games, is pretty common). It's also interesting given when NIS America had the PC version up, it initially showed Full Voice Acting for both Languages, and NIS America had restricted footage from the pre-rendered cutscenes in almost all trailers up until the last minute. So I continue to wonder about this, especially if they were planning to finally include it on the HD port...

3DS I assume was due to budget reasons, but I wonder if it was omitted on the HD release due to the state of NIS America's parent company... It's such a weird situation.