• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018
Speaking with Japanese publication Inside Games, the ever-affable Shuhei Yoshida has confirmed that the Japanese giant does now own the Microsoft published title. "SIE holds the rights to past Insomniac Games works," he admitted. So what are the chances of a port, then? "I am looking forward to future titles."
https://www.pushsquare.com/news/2019/09/sunset_overdrive_is_owned_by_playstation_sony_confirms

I guess SO is truly dead then. Can't see Sony doing anything else with the IP other than a port.

dom

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
SO was dead a long time ago. If MS wanted a sequel, there would have been one by now.

Nooblet

Oct 25, 2017
This is a bit funny because the whole reason Insomniac went Xbox exclusive for this game was because MS was going to publish it while allowing Insomniac to own the IP while Sony wanted to own the IP themselves (like previous Insomniac games). And now Sony owns it nonetheless.

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
Very weird timeline, especially when you take into account that Sony wanted to own the IP originally when Insomniac pitched the project to them which is why they went to Microsoft instead

Boots The God

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
This is a bit funny because the whole reason Insomniac went Xbox exclusive for this game was because MS was going to publish it while allowing Insomniac to own the IP while Sony wanted to own the IP themselves (like previous Insomniac games). And now Sony owns it nonetheless.
I remember that. Another one of those moves by MS to be more appealing/considerate to devs. Terrible launch and internet bullshit aside, they did a lot of things right this gen.

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
i mean, duh
it was owned by insomniac and now they're owned by sony
would be funny to see people being interested in it all of a sudden tho :)

Dr Pears

Sep 9, 2018
Sunset Overdrive being the precursor to Spiderman means that Sunset Overdrive benefited Sony way more than it benefited Microsoft lol

Trrzs

Oct 29, 2017
Oh damn, I was waiting to see this on Switch, such an underrated game. I hope they re-release it on PS4.

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Insomniac owns the IP since forever, obviously Sony acquiring them moves the needle. A sequel to the game seems very unlikely anytime soon, anyhow.

Omeganex9999

Oct 25, 2017
London
I'm pretty sure that if they can release SO on Sony's consoles, it will happen.

They can have someone else working on the port, it doesn't have to be Insomniac

Expy

Oct 26, 2017
The Steam release was also published by XGS, so they probably have some sort of first rights.
Yea, just the first title that is named Sunset Overdrive.

If it gets ported it'll come under a different name, appended with 'Definitive Edition' or something like that.

Won't happen though, and shouldn't. The Insomniac teams should work on Spider-Man and other IP.

GrrImAFridge

ONE THOUSAND DOLLARYDOOS
Oct 25, 2017
Western Australia
That's cool. It would be cool if the ps4 got a port

I suspect Microsoft would be open to that, given the circumstances and its recent history of flirting with multiplatform releases. Assuming Sony would be okay with funding development itself, of course.

only the IP it seems like, not the game that was released

they probably can't port it. it's a case of owning the IP, but not the game.

Insomniac does own the game, but Microsoft still has publishing rights for the time being.

Fatoy

Mar 13, 2019
I don't own an Xbox One and I've always wanted to play Sunset Overdrive, but I doubt there's any financial sense in Sony remastering a game that didn't make too much of a splash first time around. It would be wryly amusing to see it pop up on PSN one day, though.

kpaadet

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Sony: Yes we can confirm we own this dead IP, and we will continue to do nothing with it.

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Doesn't really matter much. If sony wants,they can do a "remaster" edition and release it on ps4.
i mean sure that's technically possible. but with the code and assets most likely belonging to MS they'd have to completely remake it. do you think they'd spend the money to do that for something like sunset overdrive?