• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
Or better yet:

sub-buzz-1349-1554217765-1.jpg
Lmao

BadWolf

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The game failed on XB and bombed on Steam.

It's funny seeing some people look to Sony to save SO when even MS didn't want anything to do with it and would have ignored it if they bought Insomniac.

SM2, new R&C, new IP etc. all make more sense than bothering with SO.

Nacho

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
This is why I get so annoyed when people like applaud Sony for buying Insomniac, saying they were a sony dev anyway. SO is dead.

Apathy

Oct 25, 2017
The game failed on XB and bombed on Steam.

It's funny seeing some people look to Sony to save SO when even MS didn't want anything to do with it and would have ignored it if they bought Insomniac.

SM2, new R&C, new IP etc. all make more sense than bothering with SO.

Yeah, the market has spoken, twice now. Why would Sony spend money for it to fail again? The IP is just going to go sit in a corner with all the other ones Sony has that it never uses

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
That didn't stop Activision from publishing crash bandicoot and spyro originals that Sony had Publishing rights to.
Sony didn't produce Crash 1-3 or Spyro 1-3, Universal did. Sony just had a publishing/distribution deal in place and didn't own the games. Sony did hold rights over CTR though and presumably Activision struck a deal to do that. Probably bought back the rights since Sony's not on copyright anymore.

YukiroCTX

Prophet of Regret
Oct 30, 2017
Is Sony going to let them do whatever they want?

I feel like they are going to be pushed on Spider-Man universe games. (Due to recent events)
Maybe a morbious one next? Maybe venom?
Why would they push for morbious or venom separately? For one, it's not like they have the resource to do that many games and
doesn't make sense to push Insomiacs efforts into a single I.P Sony don't own. Seems to make more sense to push for R&C, Spider-man and a new I.P. R&C fills a gap that Sony don't really have much titles in and it's clear that it's still an important franchise to Sony, Spider-man is their biggest success so I think they'll continue with that and I think a New I.P to expand their portfolio just like they have with nearly other generation and also prevents stagnation.There are plenty of way more known characters if they wanted to build characters out of if Disney allowed it since they don't own the I.P for spider-man either and playing the first game, there are hints to the type of villains to expect.

Dokkaebi G0SU

Nov 2, 2017
Why would they push for morbious or venom separately? For one, it's not like they have the resource to do that many games and
doesn't make sense to push Insomiacs efforts into a single I.P Sony don't own. Seems to make more sense to push for R&C, Spider-man and a new I.P. R&C fills a gap that Sony don't really have much titles in and it's clear that it's still an important franchise to Sony, Spider-man is their biggest success so I think they'll continue with that and I think a New I.P to expand their portfolio just like they have with nearly other generation and also prevents stagnation.There are plenty of way more known characters if they wanted to build characters out of if Disney allowed it since they don't own the I.P for spider-man either and playing the first game, there are hints to the type of villains to expect.
I didn't put much thought into it, just putting it out there to see if there would be potential. Following their movie side of things In a way.

Phendrana

Oct 26, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
Sony should release it as a PS+ game once Microsoft's publishing rights expire.

It was a total bomb on XBO and Steam, so this seems like a better way of getting the game into a lot of hands and breathing life back into the IP.

Velezcora

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 16, 2017
Sony should release it as a PS+ game once Microsoft's publishing rights expire.

It was a total bomb on XBO and Steam, so this seems like a better way of getting the game into a lot of hands and breathing life back into the IP.

They'd still have to put money into porting it to PS4 or PS5. I think SO's best chance of a comeback would be a reboot, which I don't see coming anytime soon.

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
reading the interview, it doesnt sound like sony are really interested in the IP, shu just acknowledged that they have the IP because that he was asked about it.

Not really a surprise considering that SO was a flop.

MilesQ

Oct 25, 2017
reading the interview, it doesnt sound like sony are really interested in the IP, shu just acknowledged that they have the IP because that he was asked about it.

Not really a surprise considering that SO was a flop.

A flop that went so way to influencing Spiderman. SSO is dead and it's sad, but we shouldn't ignore the influence it had on Insomniac and how they approached their games afterwards.

KirikaPirin

Banned
Jun 6, 2019
i mean sure that's technically possible. but with the code and assets most likely belonging to MS they'd have to completely remake it. do you think they'd spend the money to do that for something like sunset overdrive?
Why would MS own the code and assets for an IP that is not belonging to them?

Afrikan

Oct 28, 2017
How abouf Sony let's Insomniac's B team make SO 2 for the Microsoft... and Microsoft let's Ninja Theory make Heavenly Sword 2 for Sony???

Deal?

Oct 27, 2017
I'd buy a SO port. But considering how it already bombed on two platforms I guess the chances of Sony funding a port are slim to none :/

silva1991

Oct 26, 2017
It doesn't feel right to buy a studio yet not port their best game of the gen to your system. Hope Sony manages to do it somehow.

Yeah, the market has spoken, twice now. Why would Sony spend money for it to fail again? The IP is just going to go sit in a corner with all the other ones Sony has that it never uses

This is like looking at JRPG sales numbers on Xbox and say: the market doesn't care much for that genre

It's the safest thing in the world to say that most Insomniac audience by far are on PS systems. If a port mega bombs there, then you can tell me the market has spoken.

Last edited:

FlintSpace

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Only an idiot would say no to more games, so i am ok with SO2.

But Sony has made their game strategy clear. Narrative driven action adventure titles.
SO underperformed. Appears to be situated with competitors platform. And has high opposrtunity cost given Insomniac calibre for other projects.

Its not happening. Ever.

STech

Sep 24, 2018

Maybe because all the investment is already done and they only have to port it (that seems easy) and sell it.
Seems pretty profitable.

monmagman

Dec 6, 2018
England,UK
I feel SO would have a much healthier future if Insomniac didn't already have a huge base of Playstation fans for games like Ratchet & Clank,Resistance and Spider-Man.
Anyone invested in Playstation is going to want more of these games before SO because the current fanbase for SO on Playstation stands at zero.One way to combat that would obviously be a port but I've no idea if that's possible....personally I've little interest in it.

-Amon-

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I guess porting SO to PlayStation would take away time and resources from the games that Sony wants Insomniac to make.

Considering Spider-Man I guess Sony bought them not make remasters of a commercial failure.

Mars

Oct 25, 2017
I got bored playing SO after a couple of hours playtime. The game is pretty shallow (especially by today's open world standards) and not a loss if it never continues (port, sequel, etc.). It has that "launch" title feel.

I do love the aesthetics, how consistent and fun the visuals are and the humor isn't bad if not a tad dated; SO feels like it should be a precursor to something better like a simulated open world R&C but with actual environmental puzzles, unique towns/cities, incorporating more movement options, larger enemy variety, etc.

Last edited:

Defect

Oct 25, 2017
They might do something with the IP in the future but right now it's all about Spider-Man and Ratchet.

Martl

Oct 30, 2017
Austria
Sunset Overdrive was the reason for me buying a Xbox One back then. Good thing that the IP isn't dead and can be continued if they want to.

Dust

C H A O S
Oct 25, 2017
Rather than SO2, we will get Ratchet with mechanics from potential SO2.

RoninStrife

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Would like a remaster...
Would LOVE a reboot or sequel to Resistance.
Sony doesn't do FPS's anymore though.. which is such a shame.
Outside of Battlefield, Resistance and Killzone multiplayer was my thing for close quarters.

Deleted member 56752

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
May 15, 2019
Sunset overdrive IP really isn't that special. They didn't do a lot of worldbuilding. It's mostly a game about zombie monsters and doing cute tricks. I can't even remember one character name.

Insomniac has already recreated the game through spider man. Webslinging is built on that same tech/philosophy as in Sunset Overdrive. Spider-Man is basically so2.

Deleted member 40102

User requested account closure
Banned
Feb 19, 2018
Idk why ,but I have a feeling this is one of the very overrated games in here and believe I feel few times for the overrated games in here.

oni-link

tag reference no one gets
Oct 25, 2017
UK
If Sony can release it on PS4 (legally it seems like they probably can't, but I'm not an expect so who knows) they should do it just as a power play, even if it bombs again

What a move to release a game that was an exclusive on your rivals platform

I'd play it anyway, I've always thought the game looked fun (hopefully they'd patch the GAF reference out)

Deleted member 9305

Oct 26, 2017
Sunset Overdrive is amazing. I played the PC release and it was delightful. The whole thing felt very 90s Sega to me.

It would be a shame, if they're not porting this gem to PlayStation or not continue to work with the IP.