• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

ArjanN

Oct 25, 2017
If you think the indivisible stuff goes long, wait until you hear them talk about astral chain's save system

I had to stop watching. It was giving me brain damage haha. They really need a guest or third person to help break these conversations up.

Both those conversations go on a hour longer than they should just because neither of them likes admitting they're wrong.

Summary of at least the first two hours of the podcast:

- Pat doesn't like Indivisible because he doesn't want to interact with the core system of doing combos , and the game does away with most the masturbatory number crunching/min-maxing Pat likes in RPGs.

- Woolie on the other hand relied too much on autosaving in Astral Chain, and while the game could be more consistant about autosaving, you should never rely on autosaving.

- Also Woolie is a fraud who never played Half Life 2.

Oct 25, 2017
Both those conversations go on a hour longer than they should just because neither of them likes admitting they're wrong.

Summary of at least the first two hours of the podcast:

- Pat doesn't like Indivisible because he doesn't want to interact with the core system of doing combos , and the game does away with most the masturbatory number crunching/min-maxing Pat likes in RPGs.

- Woolie on the other hand relied too much on autosaving in Astral Chain, and while the game could be more consistant about autosaving, you should never rely on autosaving.

- Also Woolie is a fraud who never played Half Life 2.

Guess I'm skipping the podcast this time. I like indivisible but not 2 hours worth of conversation though

Oct 25, 2017
Currently in the middle of the Indivisible "discussion" on the podcast.... and while I think I agree Indivisible probably shouldn't be recommended to someone as an RPG, Jesus Christ at some point you gotta move on.

We definitely need a true Valkyrie Profile sequel/successor.

TC McQueen

Oct 27, 2017
Honestly, the best visual analogy I can think of for the Indivisible/Astral Chain discussion is two crabs walking in a circle, occasionally snapping their pincers at each other.

It was fascinating as an example of them trying to decipher each other's reasoning.

Jintor

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
what if you could do big damage from no combo by grinding a lot

nb: i dont advise this method its for butts

convo

Oct 25, 2017
Seeing the twitter poll of big combo vs big damage made going through the podcast talk actually ok since i'd know where i'd lead to, it was a shit show for sure but they got to the heart of the dispute and perfectly encapsulated their tastes in that poll. Now i know why Pat likes grapplers.

Secretofmateria

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I often wonder if this podcast has a shelf life, like it woolie and pat just clash too much that they wont want to do it anymore

OP
OP
Fat4all

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
I dropped off the podcast a while ago.

I beefed up my podcast subs, and I needed to cut something to keep up with everything else weekly

Jintor

Oct 25, 2017
i mean i thought they had five star run times before the split. jesus. afterwards it became basically interminable.

GlassEmpires

Dec 10, 2018
big damage

tumblr_mwy2jryEKq1t3pplho2_500.gifv

vs
do combo
RY6b4.gif

Jintor

Oct 25, 2017
very sad that physics doesn't allow for real life juggle combos

i feel like there's a scene in kung fu hustle maybe that has a juggle combo in film in it

A.J.

Oct 25, 2017
My new job has a 40 minutes commute, so this extended length podcast will end up working pretty well for me.

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
It's funny hearing people go "I don't care about the big numbers" then play DMCV and go "OMG I GOT SSS!"

I get that moves in DMCV are a lot flashier than anything you'd do in an MMORPG, but when you're trying to get SSS that shit doesn't look cool at all. The guns are specifically for keeping your combo up and have no aesthetic value whatsoever, and "sword trick sword trick royal trick sword" is more annoying than anything.

very sad that physics doesn't allow for real life juggle combos

i feel like there's a scene in kung fu hustle maybe that has a juggle combo in film in it
giphy.gif

Woozies

Nov 1, 2017
I dunno how it became "Big Number vs Do Combo" when that part takes up like maybe 2 minutes of the whole discussion.

It's really "I wish there was more to this actual story and mechanics vs But what's there is super awesome!

Matsukaze

Oct 25, 2017
I dropped off the podcast a while ago.

I beefed up my podcast subs, and I needed to cut something to keep up with everything else weekly
My interest in the podcast faded fast once Liam left and I found other podcasts that caught my interest.

I don't have the motivation to return to a podcast where it's just Pat and Woolie. Doesn't sound great.

Hoot

Nov 12, 2017
I actually been listening to some of the True Route Radio casts that Liam does with Momoka (Mom/Truongasm on twitter) and other guests like Slowbeef. They're like big review/spoilercasts on certain things but there's some great editing and good vibes

Woozies

Nov 1, 2017
I'm unlike most people here in that I really enjoy the podcast.

But that's also because i don't listen to these for their takes. I listen to them for their personalities and tangents.

So while folks groan over 2 hour tangents about a movie.

I'm like "Oh boy, they're about to say some stupid fucking shit!"

Oct 25, 2017
I actually been listening to some of the True Route Radio casts that Liam does with Momoka (Mom/Truongasm on twitter) and other guests like Slowbeef. They're like big review/spoilercasts on certain things but there's some great editing and good vibes

Holy shit Lima Beans been dping another podcast this whole time!? Gonna check it out.

MechaJackie

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
Holy shit Lima Beans been dping another podcast this whole time!? Gonna check it out.
Those come out really rarely, and Liam is in most, but not all of them, and they're all super long, but they're great.
They also have the benefit, like Hoot said, to be focused on specific topics, so actually going back and listening to some old ones is doable, unlike a weekly podcast that talks about the news.

Also, Liam and Momoka occasionally do some commentary tracks, which are great, y'all should watch them.

Nordicus

Oct 29, 2017
Finland
Honestly, as far as podcast enjoyment goes, I like Pat & Woolie better than Pat&Woolie&Matt, while I would probably like it most if all 4 Best Friends were present. Just the 2 of them, they can sometimes go DEEP into their mutual interests (and i like that most of the time) while the 4 together give the widest range of podcast discussion topics. Matt without Liam just kinda sandbags some of the conversations without adding much, imo.

Also, in this week's Indivisble discussion, I was on Pat's side the most, particularly when I felt Woolie tried to obfuscate the criticism with "what *IS* an RPG" argument, especially when he kept insisting Pat absolutely wants a menu ("eeeeeeewwwwwmenus") to pop up.

TC McQueen

Oct 27, 2017
But that's also because i don't listen to these for their takes. I listen to them for their personalities and tangents.
Honestly, as far as podcast enjoyment goes, I like Pat & Woolie better than Pat&Woolie&Matt, while I would probably like it most if all 4 Best Friends were present. Just the 2 of them, they can sometimes go DEEP into their mutual interests (and i like that most of the time) while the 4 together give the widest range of podcast discussion topics. Matt without Liam just kinda sandbags some of the conversations without adding much, imo.
This pretty much sums up how I feel. I care less about their opinions on news items than the weird shit they wind up talking about, although whenever they get weird during the news, it's great too.

ArjanN

Oct 25, 2017

Also, in this week's Indivisble discussion, I was on Pat's side the most, particularly when I felt Woolie tried to obfuscate the criticism with "what *IS* an RPG" argument, especially when he kept insisting Pat absolutely wants a menu ("eeeeeeewwwwwmenus") to pop up.

To be fair Pat started that genre debate (and was wrong obviously)

I agree about the group dynamic, but with just Pat & Woolie there's no one to course correct when they're spinning in circles, or call them out when they're just making facetious points to win an argument.

Mars People

Comics Council 2020
Oct 25, 2017
I think I might drop the podcast.
Half the time it just feels like Woolie and Pat just snapping at each other.
It's no fun to listen to

Birdie

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I used to not really care for Liam much...not that I had anything against him it's just all the videos I saw early on he wasn't part of really or in the background.

I've really gotten into his output lately with Sonic 06. That CTRl ALT DEL video is pretty great

TC McQueen

Oct 27, 2017
Thanks to the Ken Penders thread, I understand that weird segue in one of the podcasts/Sonic LPs about Amy being twelve or whatever.

SethSeries

Dec 16, 2018
Kinda hope Woolie eventually does a Patreon as well as some new types of content. I miss when he did a bunch of experimental stuff.