• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

A.J.

Oct 25, 2017
By the way, here's the Vernis lore books for those interested after watching the video
hollow-press.net

Plastiboo

Hollow Press is an independent comics publisher house focused on dark weird fantasy. Founded in February 2015 by Michele Nitri. Hollow Press productions are intended for an international audience, offering comic books as main activity, combined to the sale of original artworks and games.

CatAssTrophy

Dec 4, 2017
Texas
Oct 27, 2017

Slim Action

Jul 4, 2018
Clicked on the video just to see the length, was greeted with the very first image and instantly said "it's Vermis!!"

Cruxist

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
This is so compelling.

I definitely rolled my eyes at first, but I love this. Bought the Apple Quest Monsters guide pdf!

Murlin

Feb 12, 2019
One thing he didn't discuss, probably because it's less interesting and also requires far less effort to make, are the sprawling "Fanon" wikis where users (that I assume are mostly children) make hundreds of wiki pages describing fake games, like a Kingdom Hearts game with levels set on Planet Namek (from Dragon Ball) and Mobius (from the Sonic animated series), or a 40 dollar DLC for Mario Odyssey that stars Luigi.

WaluigiTime

Oct 27, 2017
Good Burger
latest

Perfect timing

kami_sama

Oct 26, 2017
Had to stop watching at the end, I've wanted to get the Vermis' books for a while, so I ended up ordering them.

Biteren

Oct 29, 2017
By the way, here's the Vernis lore books for those interested after watching the video
hollow-press.net

Plastiboo

Hollow Press is an independent comics publisher house focused on dark weird fantasy. Founded in February 2015 by Michele Nitri. Hollow Press productions are intended for an international audience, offering comic books as main activity, combined to the sale of original artworks and games.
someone should take these and make a point and click game like Waxworks

Host Samurai

Oct 27, 2017
I never knew I wanted a deconstructed PS1 action horror game until now. It's such a brilliant idea and thinking about it, I'm surprised that no indie dev has tackled that yet. I'd buy the fuck out of that game if it were real.

Oct 12, 2020
I was surprised, that Super Eyepatch Wolf didn't talk about "The Beginner's Guide". The whole game is about playable fake unfinished games from a fictional developer, trying to understand this unreal developers intentional and vision.

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
I was surprised, that Super Eyepatch Wolf didn't talk about "The Beginner's Guide". The whole game is about playable fake unfinished games from a fictional developer, trying to understand this unreal developers intentional and vision.
the biggest conceit in concept of the video is that the games arent playable as presented or were never intended to be playable

(outside some of the big creepypasta list in the middle where he got some wrong)

although, Jacob Wells recent covered The Beginners Guide in his video on 'Art For No One'

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6oqO3FXSecM

Oct 12, 2020
the biggest conceit in concept of the video is that the games arent playable as presented or were never intended to be playable
In the story of the game those games weren't intended to be playable, since they were actually unreleased and stolen.
You could also say, that there are an interpretation of the concept in a interactive medium. Most of the examples are in video, audio, print and picture format. If a game is just some small pieces of concept, that is still not a game. If somebody would make a demo of a game, which would never be released on propose, wouldn't that also be a fake game?

At the end the intention of the artist should be the judge and not the medium.

Fat4all

Oct 25, 2017
here
In the story of the game those games weren't intended to be playable, since they were actually unreleased and stolen.
You could also say, that there are an interpretation of the concept in a interactive medium. Most of the examples are in video, audio, print and picture format. If a game is just some small pieces of concept, that is still not a game. If somebody would make a demo of a game, which would never be released on propose, wouldn't that also be a fake game?

At the end the intention of the artist should be the judge and not the medium.
at the end of the day none of that really matters as 'The Beginners Guide' is a game very much intended to be played

the only fake is the story about coda existing

Oct 12, 2020
at the end of the day none of that really matters as 'The Beginners Guide' is a game very much intended to be played
Yes, the "The Beginners Guide" is meant to be played as any of the examples in the video are meant to be read, watched or seen. But not the games in the 'The Beginners Guide', which are all fake and unfinished.
Can you make a video about a fake movie? Write a text about a fake book? Paint an image about a fake picture?

Fat4all

Oct 25, 2017
here
Yes, the "The Beginners Guide" is meant to be played as any of the examples in the video are meant to be read, watched or seen. But not the games in the 'The Beginners Guide', which are all fake and unfinished.
Can you make a movie about a fake movie? A book about a fake book? A picture about a fake picture?
this is a really weird conversation that doesnt really mean anything

the beginners guide is a narrative about a fake developer making weird games, framed as a story about someone else exploiting their work and emotions

the beginners guide is also a video game product sold for $10 on steam

Oct 12, 2020
this is a really weird conversation that doesnt really mean anything

the beginners guide is a narrative about a fake developer making weird games, framed as a story about someone else exploiting their work and emotions

the beginners guide is also a video game product sold for $10 on steam
I just don't get your belief, that you can't make a game about a fake game. Especially if you played a broken early builds or prototype, which generate very similar effects and feelings as described in the video. Making something broken or unfinished on purpose, has a very similar charm in my opinion. And in my opinion Beginners Guide is an example and similar of making a whole strategy guide of a fake game and selling it.

Fat4all

Oct 25, 2017
here
I just don't get your belief, that you can't make a game about a fake game. Especially if you played a broken early builds or prototype, which generate very similar effects and feelings as described in the video. Making something broken or unfinished on purpose, has a very similar charm in my opinion. And in my opinion Beginners Guide is an example and similar of making a whole strategy guide of a fake game and selling it.
i dont get your belief, you are experiencing them exactly how the devs intended

you are playing a game and experiencing a story that they made

Wrenden wrote script, developed those 'games', you are playing a game about fake 'fake' games, INSIDE a real game

its a real game in totality

OrigamiPirate

One Winged Slayer
Oct 31, 2017
San Francisco
One thing he didn't discuss, probably because it's less interesting and also requires far less effort to make, are the sprawling "Fanon" wikis where users (that I assume are mostly children) make hundreds of wiki pages describing fake games, like a Kingdom Hearts game with levels set on Planet Namek (from Dragon Ball) and Mobius (from the Sonic animated series), or a 40 dollar DLC for Mario Odyssey that stars Luigi.
Planning to watch the video this evening, but this is what I thought this was gonna be about!

Oct 12, 2020
i dont get your belief, you are experiencing them exactly how the devs intended

you are playing a game and experiencing a story that they made

Wrenden wrote script, developed those 'games', you are playing a game about fake 'fake' games, INSIDE a real game

its a real game in totality
And all the authors in the video released real images, videos, websites and books to make you imagine a fake game. In the one examples they created real 3D models and animated cut-scenes.

All those small games in the "Beginner's Guide" are completely unfinished or nothing more the a vague concept. Point of the whole game is imagine, what the fake develop had in mind by creating them. So the whole game is real, but all the small games are fake.
The "Beginner's Guide" is a real game featuring a bunch of small fake games.

That's for example in contrast to Wario Ware, which is a real game with a bunch of real and finished mini-games.

Fat4all

Oct 25, 2017
here
So the whole game is real, but all the small games are fake.
the small games are part of the whole game

thats the whole conceit of the game, that those small games, the narrative, coda, its all part of the story, its all one thing you experience is like a 2-3 hour window

its all The Beginner's Guide

thats nothing like — from the Eyepatch video — Valle Verde, or the other things presented as games but never able to be experienced as games

Oct 12, 2020
the small games are part of the whole game

thats the whole conceit of the game, that those small games, the narrative, coda, its all part of the story, its all one thing you experience is like a 2-3 hour window

its all The Beginner's Guide

thats nothing like — from the Eyepatch video — Valle Verde, or the other things presented as games but never able to be experienced as games
You also don't experience the games. Just because you get a small interactive broken unfinished part, doesn't mean, you have played the game.
If I gave you an unfinished version of Super Mario 64, where the coding for jumping isn't finished, but there are clear evidences, that there will be a jump buttons or the need for the jump button, you still haven't played Super Mario 64.
If I do the same, but did it isn't an unfinished game, just a representation of a possible Super Maio 64 game with a jump button. You can see 3D architecture, where you could jump on, if there would be a jump button. Then this would be a fake game, since I would play with your imagining of a real game with a jumping feature.

Fat4all

Oct 25, 2017
here
You also don't experience the games. Just because you get a small interactive broken unfinished part, doesn't mean, you have played the game.
If I gave you an unfinished version of Super Mario 64, where the coding for jumping isn't finished, but there are clear evidences, that there will be a jump buttons or the need for the jump button, you still haven't played Super Mario 64.
If I do the same, but did it isn't an unfinished game, just a representation of a possible Super Maio 64 game with a jump button. You can see 3D architecture, where you could jump on, if there would be a jump button. Then this would be a fake game, since I would play with your imagining of a real game with a jumping feature.
ur right why didnt eyepatch wolf talk about mario 64

Feep

Lead Designer, Iridium Studios
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
This was my first time watching this dude, and I appreciated some of it, but I absolutely could not get past that bizarre, cringe-inducing two minute section where he is so desperate to return to a world from his youth. Like, man, I get it, but there's some cool stuff you can do as an adult, too. Are you okay?

Fat4all

Oct 25, 2017
here
This was my first time watching this dude, and I appreciated some of it, but I absolutely could not get past that bizarre, cringe-inducing two minute section where he is so desperate to return to a world from his youth. Like, man, I get it, but there's some cool stuff you can do as an adult, too. Are you okay?
he does those tangents sometime as a running joke

expect for his video on buying a pc from Dell, that was the whole video

Nappuccino

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Can you make a video about a fake movie? Write a text about a fake book? Paint an image about a fake picture?
Yep. Borges does this a bunch.

Fat4all

Oct 25, 2017
here
Vermis, ValleVerde and Silksong sound like such great concepts.
valle verde is really really neat

the second video is super technically impressive that eyepatch wolf undersells it honestly

i was almost convinced that the game they showed off was an unlocalized capcom game

Fat4all

Oct 25, 2017
here
Coming off Petscop, Valle Verde moves a bit too fast for my taste.
honestly its best to pause and read often

because the video plays through as if someone if going through the motions, its almost like they are trying to skip dialogue sometimes lol

also being translated make it a bit more difficult to follow at pace

Biteren

Oct 29, 2017
the Vermis stuff looks rad as hell, i saw some dudes here talking about a book you can get, its tempting...

Jakisthe

Oct 25, 2017
ELr7OfUWsAcc_Ru.jpg

This title art is more compelling than the entirety of the No More Heroes series and I'm still annoyed it's fake.

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017

Capra

Oct 25, 2017
You might be able to count the Death Drive Mk II games from Travis Strikes Again, considering I think we're more playing levels based on those games than the actual games themselves.

Dec 27, 2019
Seattle

hideousarmor

May 9, 2019
Excellent vid. I was already familiar with Vermis, but still managed to find a lot of cool fake-games in here!

Isn't Vermis just Fear & Hunger?
Sure sounds like it based on this.
Honestly, yeah!
F&H is one of the few games in recent years that manages to get my imagination going with how creative it is.
Much like Vermis, it feels like there's always some other hidden secret right around the corner.

Capra

Oct 25, 2017
Petscop absolutely lost me with the whole "press button combinations to write full sentences" stuff.

In a "game" with tons of supernatural/unexplained stuff that's what I found hardest to believe lol

I don't think it's necessarily hard to believe that some obscure Japan-only game would have a text parser in it. I haven't seen all of Petscop but it always gave me Love-de-lic vibes and I could buy into some adventure game in that style where saying certain keywords to NPCs triggers dialogue.

In Valle Verde it's pretty upfront about this being some kind of experiment with emergent AI derived from child souls or some shit so there isn't even that suspension of disbelief lol

construct

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Jun 5, 2020
東京
beginners guide is real art, a real experience and most importantly a real game

(outside some of the big creepypasta list in the middle where he got some wrong)

although, Jacob Wells recent covered The Beginners Guide in his video on 'Art For No One'

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6oqO3FXSecM

ooo i can always watch new beginners guide content