Mariolee

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
This looks like a Mario that's from Brooklyn. I think having this Mario look different than the video fame Mario will help me see this movie as its own thing.

And that's assuming this is real, which eh sure it probably is. I will definitely need to see this in motion.

Dust

C H A O S
Oct 25, 2017
Something is slightly off, maybe the mouth? I cannot pinpoint it.

Poltergust

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Orlando, FL
He has an actual elbow and there's cloth deformation, so you're forced to ponder the strange man-baby-like proportions of Mario's naked body beneath the suit?
I think this is it for me, too. Mario's look in the games is more like a toy than an actual person.

That said, I don't dislike this design. I just want to see a proper trailer already lol.

Mg.

Oct 25, 2017
There are some differences in the head compared to the game art: puffier cheeks, less 'cross-eyed' and maybe wider mouth.

But it's the body that's causing the slightly uncanny vibe for me. The small collar, the more proportional accurate right arm, the puffed chest.

Ultimately it looks pretty alright! It could've gone far, far, far worse. There's a slight disappointment they didn't just use the Odyssey design, which pretty much perfected Mario's look. But clearly the movie has to stand out from the games as well.

Jay_AD

Oct 28, 2017
Hell yeah, give me slightly creepy uncanny Mario.

To say it with Idle Thumbs (RIP): a grotesque homunculus. And I love it.

sickos.png

viral

Oct 25, 2017
KFqvgs2.jpg

I don't what you all are mad about, it's literally just Mario.

Paquete_PT

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Love how people are overreacting that he does not look right.
He looks like freakin' Mario. It's a good design considering that Mario's design itself is pretty "bland" (for a lack of better wording).
It looks right given the source material.
My thoughts exactly. People will overreact to everything nowadays.

Putosaure

Oct 27, 2017
France
Tbh I'm more worried about the fact that he's going to have full conversations without Charles Martinet's voice than this design

Poltergust

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Orlando, FL
Looks like a bootleg. Why not just use his design from the games?
There's nothing inherently wrong with different animators/artists doing their own take on a classic character. You see it done all the time.

Heck, even the games do this. Mario & co. look different between a bunch of different games by different developers. For instance, compare how the cast looks in Odyssey, Mario + Rabbids, Mario Strikers, and Smash Bros.

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
Looks like a bootleg. Why not just use his design from the games?
This design will likely allow the animators to display a greater range of expressions than the game design, which is fairly stiff and looks more like a toy.

I think the eyes and head shape are a bit small but all in all it's pretty good IMO. some of the extreme reactions here feel like people are just trying to make this into another ugly Sonic or something.

Ephonk

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Belgium
0*xag0iVRbHlbBgFr4

This is just another iteration of mario - as there have been many. Nothing really wrong with it. It's somewhere between Smash Mario & odyssey Mario

Oct 25, 2017
He looks like a pedophile, like an Unreal engine 4 fan model, I hate everything about this movie already and that Chris PRATT is voicing him.
Cool cool, we're all very impressed with how repulsed you are and how a cartoon plumber's design differences that amount to half-percentages make you want to end your life because he looks like he molests children. Any other gruesome and dark real life atrocities you'd like undermine by assigning them to a children's mascot looking slightly different? Worse than the holocaust maybe?

Freezasaurus

Oct 25, 2017
I think it actually looks fine. Definitely a better model than the original version of Sonic from the first film.

Zeiretto

Oct 30, 2017
Yep, that's definitely Mario. I think he looks pretty great.

These silly overreactions crack me up.

Connope

Mar 6, 2022
0*xag0iVRbHlbBgFr4

This is just another iteration of mario - as there have been many. Nothing really wrong with it. It's somewhere between Smash Mario & odyssey Mario
I agree with your overall point (even though right now I don't like this iteration) but it's definitely not between Smash (Brawl specifically I assume?) Mario and Odyssey Mario. The face is the same basic shape, proportions and design on those two, but it's different here. The extra realism in the outfit is Brawl-esque, but it's still overall a new design that I wouldn't say is between anything on that scale - it's another new step.

Egida

Oct 27, 2017
As many have said, it's same old Mario, but there's something that gives me the creeps about it.

Ephonk

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Belgium
I agree with your overall point (even though right now I don't like this iteration) but it's definitely not between Smash (Brawl specifically I assume?) Mario and Odyssey Mario. The face is the same basic shape, proportions and design on those two, but it's different here. The extra realism in the outfit is Brawl-esque, but it's still overall a new design that I wouldn't say is between anything on that scale - it's another new step.
I meant the outfit is like smash, with realistic textures - the mustache is like the promo art for odyssey. The eyes/mouth and arms being shaped slightly different is of course it's own thing.

KennyLinder

Game Designer at EA
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
It looks like a dude in a Mario outfit to me.

OK, is this film 100% CG? Or is it like Who Framed Roger Rabbit? ? Or don't we know yet?

Kain-Nosgoth

Oct 25, 2017
Switzerland
It's not the worst, but the small eyes really make him look weird... I'm sure it will look better in movement, but still, they could have used the original model (i was sure nintendo would force them to)

Seikca

Feb 21, 2022
It looks a bit off, but I want to give it the benefit of the doubt. It'll probably look better in the movie.

It's miles better than what they first did to Sonic.

Milennia

Prophet of Truth - Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
Fucking Connor lmao

Mario looks like an actual guy with Mario proportions, which i'm guessing they were going for here

Fuchs

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
It looks like a dude in a Mario outfit to me.

OK, is this film 100% CG? Or is it like Who Framed Roger Rabbit? ? Or don't we know yet?

Since it's a film by Illumination (The Minions, Despicable Me, Sing, etc.) it's safe to say it's completely CG.
However, I wouldn't be surprised if they'd do a Lego Movie sorta-twist and have Charles Martinet and Miyamoto show up in a post-credit scene.

Chrono

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
I don't like it, but I also don't hate it. I'm right in the middle.

Personally I would have been happier if they just touched up Mario's Odyssey design as I feel that would have been perfect, but I'll withhold judgement until the trailer releases and I see everything in-motion.

Something about it definitely feels weird for me, hopefully it's something I'll adjust to.