Elster

Jun 6, 2021
He's off to me too, but more like, "this is how humans in the teletubby's world" look vibes.
Yeah, I also really didnt like the ~SUPER REALISTIC POKEMON~ in Detective Pikachu either, they looked pretty weird to me before the release (though I really dislike realistic pokemon art so I had some bias) but in the movie they worked really well, I'll need to kinda see him hop around and wahoo in the film before I know how to feel I think.

Oct 25, 2017
It's weird seeing anatomy beneath the sleeve. Anyway, looks fine, although not a design I'd want incorporated into the games.

Gamer @ Heart

Oct 26, 2017
Don't understand some of y'all's reaction. That is literally the art render translated to practical textures essentially.

The key part will be the motion. Marios mouth is not something I'm use to seeing forming more than 3 words at a time

giapel

Oct 28, 2017
It's fine. It's ever so slightly different to the games model, which will help differentiate this from a game cutscene.

Cipherr

Oct 26, 2017
Love how people are overreacting that he does not look right.
He looks like freakin' Mario. It's a good design considering that Mario's design itself is pretty "bland" (for a lack of better wording).

I think anything short of ripping the model directly from like, promotional renders from actual Mario games were destined to get this sort of response. I remember some people having an issue with Pikachu in the detective movie, and that one I felt was done just fine.

Oct 25, 2017
A more 1:1 comparison from the comments:

FeSM2JuVsAAoikP

MicH

Oct 25, 2017
I don't love it but I also don't hate it. It's ever so slightly off that it kind of reminds me of a knock-off Mario

Dever

Dec 25, 2019
Mmh. I feel like Mario's design in Odyssey is basically perfect, they should have just kept it the same.

Foolish

Jun 23, 2022
It's noticeably different in numerous, very subtle ways.

But I don't think it's bad at all. In fact, I think it's pretty neat to see a slightly different take on the design. Like... Outside the JRPG spinoffs, Mario has looked exactly the same for like 20 years in a row. Honestly the changes are so minute that I wouldn't even call it a redesign, it's just a new interpretation.
Makes me excited to see the rest of the cast, especially Peach and DK.

ojbd

Jul 18, 2018
Overall I think it's fine, probably will look better in movement. My biggest issue is definitely the arms looking a little too "realistic", like, it's a weird place to get the uncanny valley effect but it's giving it to me.

SmokedSalmon

Apr 1, 2019
He looks great. I imagine he will look even better in motion.

That said, I'm so used to Nintendo's design that even the slight changes here through me off. Not in a bad way, it's just weird to see a different Mario.

big_z

Nov 2, 2017
The wider head and more realistic clothing and proportions make it look like a guy in a mascot costume.

Izanagi89

"This guy are sick" and Corrupted by Vengeance
Oct 27, 2017
He legit looks just like Mario lol I can't detect anything off with that design.

Ferrs

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
That looks like regular Mario to me. Def closer to it's videogame version than movie Sonic.

Shoichi

Jan 10, 2018

FeSM2JuVsAAoikP
This probably lays clear at least the most noticeable differences (shoulder up). Wider face and mouth, collared shirt, more detailed overalls, more realistic shoulders/arms, smaller hands, workers gloves with the indent cut, brown mustache, realistic hair, more circular eyes, smaller 'M' on hat.

Taking everything together, the design itself is completely fine and is no bad Sonic. Just a small change from how Nintendo has typically done their Mario design. But Illumination's design is far from even a bad variance and the change to the face was probably needed for what was to be done for facial animation purposes

Last edited:

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017

FeSM2JuVsAAoikP
This comparison is like a lightning bolt reminder that Mario's stock render doesn't actually have the arms move the way you think they would. I thought Mario's hands looked a bit small at first but that was only because his right arm as the focal point is actually moving behind the head, almost closer to what Mario does on the box art of 3D World. It's a more "natural" posture which might be a bit awkward at first glance.

In a funny way, I feel like this Mario look reminds me a little bit more of some depictions of Mario before he made the full jump to 3D.

Rubblatus

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Yep. That's a Mario who looks like he has a job and adult responsibilities, alright.

/I like it.

Last edited:

Connope

Mar 6, 2022
I'm disappointed that I don't like it 😢. The character design was the one thing I was really expecting to have no problems at all with (was just expecting slight model changes, and more small details in a similar fashion to what they did with Odyssey) and the poster yesterday gave me a lot of hope for this movie - the environment design is brilliant. But I don't like this. The face is just slightly off. I wish I liked it. I hope it looks better in motion.