• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

NeonZ

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Not true. Each visual style has the mechanic/physics that are inherent from the original game of that style. E.g. SMB1 controls different from NSMU.

Each visual style has the unique abilities and features of that game, like Mario World's spin jump and its unique Goombas, or NSMB's wall jump, but the basic run & jump gameplay is the same doesn't matter the visual style.

JayBee

Alt-account
Banned
Dec 6, 2018
This game is going to have content for 10 years if not more. Just the fact 3d world is in a maker game instead of a full fledged mario; I think nintendo gets it.

Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
This being the first Mario Maker that isn't controlled with the precision of a stylus must mean a ton of considerations, including the new selection wheel.

Jave

Oct 30, 2017
Chile
Best announcement of the Direct. Mario Maker Switch was LONG overdue.

Please please PLEASE keep the guest amiibo characters.

Orioto

Oct 26, 2017
Paris
Never played the first one, i'm excited for this one on Switch! Still a shame you can't make your own graphics though :p

JershJopstin

Oct 25, 2017
Here's something interesting to speculate about in regards to the compatibility between the themes:
EesZSCf.png

3D World has a different enemy line-up compared to the rest of the games (with some excluded while new ones are included), and some of these don't really line-up with each other (there's even an extra enemy in the second 'Enemies' tab). I wonder how game switching will work with this.
I imagine they'll just switch as normal despite not really correlating.

On the topic of themes - was NSMBU spotted? All the 3D World stuff is great, but for the sake of completion I'll be a little disappointed if the NSMBU-exclusive stuff like the propeller mushroom is gone.

RepairmanJack

Oct 27, 2017
Here's something interesting to speculate about in regards to the compatibility between the themes:
EesZSCf.png

3D World has a different enemy line-up compared to the rest of the games (with some excluded while new ones are included), and some of these don't really line-up with each other (there's even an extra enemy in the second 'Enemies' tab). I wonder how game switching will work with this.

I wouldn't take the radial menus as too rigid. I am assuming these are in place to help with making levels with a controller and probably pretty customizable. I just couldn't see something simple like Buzzy Beetle not being in the 3D World palette. Same with like Chomp-Chomps. These menus could have multiple enemies applied to each slot or could just be customized.

Green Yoshi

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Cologne (Germany)
I wonder if there will ever be a Super Mario Maker 3D. Creating levels in 3D is way more complicated but it can work. Just look at Dreams.

Nightside

Oct 28, 2017
Probably gonna buy this just to play kaizo levels (coz I can't be bothered to download rom hacks).

Kingpin Rogers

HILF
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Wonder if they'll release a companion app alongside it so you can make levels using your phone or tablet whilst the Switch is docked? I don't see any reason why that wouldn't be possible and it'd be a nice alternative to using a controller.

Jan 31, 2019
Each visual style has the unique abilities and features of that game, like Mario World's spin jump and its unique Goombas, or NSMB's wall jump, but the basic run & jump gameplay is the same doesn't matter the visual style.
This being the first Mario Maker that isn't controlled with the precision of a stylus must mean a ton of considerations, including the new selection wheel.
I am wondering with that spin wheel if touchscreen is even an option? I sure as heck hope so.

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
Is it separate from the 3D World theme? I thought they might have just added 3D World items to NSMB theme.
3D World is a separate theme from NSMBU.
gkkWgnG.jpg

On a related note, I have noticed that the 3D World theme shares a couple icons with the NSMB theme (you can see the Super Mushroom, Koopa Troopa and the ? Block as examples in this image). They'll probably change that before release though.

Magnus

Oct 25, 2017
What's become of the no doubt massive library of SMM1 levels? Could they be accessed and used with SMM2 I wonder?

For that matter, were the 3DS game's levels compatible with either console title?

Roytheone

Oct 25, 2017
gkkWgnG.jpg

On a related note, I have noticed that the 3D World theme shares a couple icons with the NSMB theme (you can see the Super Mushroom, Koopa Troopa and the ? Block as examples in this image). They'll probably change that before release though.

I assume the little red guy+ green guy icon next to the running mario will enable some kind of "coop creation mode" where you can make levels with 2 people at the same time?

Servbot24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
gkkWgnG.jpg

I see. Would have been nice for them to be combined since the graphics are quite close and it would give more creative opportunity, but oh well.

wiiucollector

Aug 5, 2018
Germany
The 3D World assets really do sell this to me, much like the widesceen squeaky clean retro Super Mario Bros. 3 sprites do. I'd hate for the assets of 3D World to be combined with New Bros, and it would betray the celebration of separate eras that the game does so we'll in. They'll also presumably be priming us for the expected deluxe port with this anyway.

I wonder if we'll get more level themes this time - Painted Swampland in particular.

I hope they retain the titles music. This really could be a perfect package if they've got it right, and I've no reason to doubt they have.

Stopdoor

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
Pretty much. Maybe in case of Splatoon they could add the first one's campaign as a dlc. I see no reason for someone to want Smash 4 / Mario Maker when he can play Smash Ultimate / MM2

Smash 4 has a lot of unique features, like trophies, stage builder, Smash Tour, Home Run Contest/Target Smash, All-Star Mode, Custom Moves, etc. etc. People might not value those features, but there's a surprising amount of it that's not iterated on in Smash Ultimate.

Parthenios

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Kinda shocked they didn't include Mario 2 stuff in this. It's Mario Maker 2 and that seemed like the easiest way to sell this.

Plum

May 31, 2018
I wonder if we'll get more level themes this time - Painted Swampland in particular.

The trailer seems to have Ice, Desert, Jungle, Space and Sky themes (though Sky might just be the Battleship theme) so you've got that wish already! I doubt they'd put the Painted Swampland theme in, though; it wouldn't exactly work well with the pixel art of the older themes.

Jan 31, 2019
Anyone have any speculation on how they will manage communication and feedback on levels between players now that there is no miiverse?

Plum

May 31, 2018
Anyone have any speculation on how they will manage communication and feedback on levels between players now that there is no miiverse?

My guess would be that they do exactly what they did with Splatoon 2: just add all the old Miiverse features into the game itself. It'll definitely have Nintendo Online App integration as well.

Beamerball

Jan 16, 2018
I think this will be as much 3D World as we get for the Switch (ie. no port). I was going to buy Mario Maker 2 anyways, but having 3D World assets built in is such a huger seller for me (I never got to play it since I didn't own a Wii U).

ned_ballad

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Rochester, New York
gkkWgnG.jpg

Does 3D World's style not have slopes? On the other themes, after the ground tile option is the slope option, but on here, it's just that ant enemy