SMB3
k0tAZj6m.jpg

Ghost House:
SMW
LY3DtEem.jpg

Castle:
3DW
0Z5uzBJm.jpg

Of particular interest: the NSMBU backgrounds are new. In NSMBU all of the ice levels were night-time:
f65Aqle.png

However in Mario Maker it looks like this:
fYsq1ba.jpg

The trees are the only thing from NSMBU.

The NSMBU Jungle one is really weird. The starry background is completely new.
10kQe6q.jpg

Based on these two, ESPECIALLY the NSMBU Jungle part, I'm thinking that each theme has multiple backgrounds you can choose.

This is a different background from the one used in SMM1's SMW ghost houses:
LY3DtEe.jpg

SMM1:
r3JL4whl.jpg

Possibly another example of custom backgrounds

Furthermore, you can add water to levels. This has only been shown in the Jungle theme:
4HCfKMrl.jpg

oyfGy5cl.jpg

...however I imagine you'll be able to add water to any theme.

Of particular note is that there is no poison swamp water in these examples. Does this mean that stuff like water, poison, and lava can all be toggled?

Okay, so new stuff:
ehFIMC8.jpg

I think the car will replace yoshi in 3DW.
I wonder if Mario can go through red pipes and if they shoot him out like a cannon.

It appears that you won't be able to switch as freely between the styles as you could in the first game. At least perhaps not with 3D World specifically...
nEfOCWq.jpg

SMW style has 4 wheels worth of enemies (the 4 dots under the enemies tab indicates how many wheels)

But 3DW only has 3 wheels worth of enemies:
GyRVruy.jpg

People were wondering what is under the key tab, but you can see one if its wheels on the left here:
T10ElPx.jpg

The yellow key wheel contains things like tracks, coveyor belts, 1 way walls, fire bars, snake blocks, and on/off switches. It likely has more than one wheel.

saRSWTa.jpg

When placing an object, a menu will pop up showing you all of the options that object has. This shows that piranha plant can be normal, fire, big, winged, and/or parachute. This likely is an option to shaking or giving the objects items to transform them.

The left sidebar:
aUxsyvK.jpg

From top to bottom:
  • style
  • theme (underwater)
    • next to that is a greyed-out icon that looks like a boat. I think this is used to add water to levels.
  • camera
    • next to that is a feather (more on that later)
  • time limit
  • goal: it appears you can customize an objective. In this example they've made the goal collecting 100 coins.
  • red and green character button: character or multiplayer toggle?
  • ghost trail
eq5tGJD.jpg

You can make custom autoscrollers that move in multiple directions. Here we see that feather icon has lit up and is the custom scroll button. Also, the camera button turned into a bird.
I believe that you can change the scroll speed at each point by clicking the > and >>. In this example it moves at > speed until it reaches bird 2 and then speeds up.

Regarding vertical levels, I think this is the case, but we can't say for certain from this footage. The screen never scrolls far enough vertically in any of the scenes to say for sure that they go higher than 2 screens like in the first game.

Mario, Luigi, Toad, and Toadette appear to be playable. I wonder if they have different attributes. I think that's what the red/green person toggle is for.

Thanks for this. I'm really thrilled about this game.

Mickagau

Dec 11, 2018
France
I'm so excited for this. And it's so soon. Mario Maker has become my favorite Mario platformer series. There is something so refreshing about it.

nss

Apr 10, 2018
The giant bomb goty deliberations just got interesting or less interesting, depending on your perspective

Davey Cakes

Oct 27, 2017
Massachusetts
Maybe we'll still get SMB2 but if we don't, such a missed opportunity. I think if it wasn't for the existence of NSMBU Deluxe, Nintendo could've easily removed the NSMBU template and put in a SMB2 one.

The 3D World template is definitely a nice inclusion though. I think that overall aesthetic is going to see a resurgence, especially considering the continued support of Captain Toad. I'm happy about this too, as 3D World is hugely underrated in the wake of Odyssey.

RepairmanJack

Oct 27, 2017
Maybe we'll still get SMB2 but if we don't, such a missed opportunity. I think if it wasn't for the existence of NSMBU Deluxe, Nintendo could've easily removed the NSMBU template and put in a SMB2 one.

The 3D World template is definitely a nice inclusion though. I think that overall aesthetic is going to see a resurgence, especially considering the continued support of Captain Toad. I'm happy about this too, as 3D World is hugely underrated in the wake of Odyssey.

My only hope is that they hinted at it with what looked like vertical levels. Because if you had vertical levels it'd make no sense to not have SMB2, and one of the big reasons you wouldn't want SMB2 is the vertical levels. Screen looping and vertical levels would be insane.

Nerrel

Oct 31, 2017
This looked really great, they've added most of what people had been asking for and even more on top of that. The only thing I really want to see is wall jumping and ground pounds brought in the older games. There's a patch for SMW that adds it and it feels perfectly natural:
testrom003.png

Jan 31, 2019
My only hope is that they hinted at it with what looked like vertical levels. Because if you had vertical levels it'd make no sense to not have SMB2, and one of the big reasons you wouldn't want SMB2 is the vertical levels. Screen looping and vertical levels would be insane.
I think it's important to keep in mind that Mario 2 is not a real Mario game. It was originally a different game that they then just re-skinned as a Mario game. It stands out from the rest of the pack like a sore thumb and should not be included. It's just too different.

Parthenios

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
If you can make overworlds and essentially package levels like a full game then I'm 100% in.
Super out there prediction--there'll be an overworld maker and users will be able to create entire games that will can be released and played on a special app that will be available to Switch Online members and won't require Mario Maker 2.

OnionPowder

Oct 25, 2017
Orlando, FL
This looked really great, they've added most of what people had been asking for and even more on top of that. The only thing I really want to see is wall jumping and ground pounds brought in the older games. There's a patch for SMW that adds it and it feels perfectly natural:
testrom003.png

Kind of ruins the feels of those games. One of the special things about the game you choose is how it changes how the level plays and interacts. It allows for some pretty diverse level creations only possible because of those purposeful limitations.

I've seen quite a few amazing puzzle levels designed around them.

The sun is totally going to become a kaizo staple

If you can hide the sun in hidden blocks then i'm already pissed

Oct 25, 2017
New York City
My last wish for this game is for user curated lists of levels. Basically what people are saying here about making your open campaign / overworld / etc. but with anyone making it with anyone's levels.

And also for Nintendo to periodically highlight some of these as well, that would be really cool.

RepairmanJack

Oct 27, 2017
I think it's important to keep in mind that Mario 2 is not a real Mario game. It was originally a different game that they then just re-skinned as a Mario game. It stands out from the rest of the pack like a sore thumb and should not be included. It's just too different.

Yeah, but it's a loved game. It's even starting to get it's own rom hack community with Kaizo like levels. People love it regardless.

Nintendo also has taken stuff from the game and accepted it into the overall Mario canon, so it not being a real game doesn't really matter too much. Hell they're even releasing it with the NSO.

Oct 28, 2017
testrom003.png
See I don't want that. I feel that each style should have its own things that make it unique. If you want wall jumping and the general more more movement options, that's what the NSMB style is for. For SMB1-World you design levels around the more limited movement options. There's benefits to both.

Jan 31, 2019
Agree. Having variances in gameplay between themes gives each theme more significance in regards to design choices. The game is actually more deep having the variabilities between themes. Making them all the same would acctually take away from the overall package.

noomi

Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
I've never played Mario Maker 1... hopefully someone can answer this for me.

I have no desire to create levels at all, but I am a BIG 2D Mario Fan.

Would this game be good for someone who just wants to play user created content and not actually create/contribute to the maker community?

GaimeGuy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Would this game be good for someone who just wants to play user created content and not actually create/contribute to the maker community?
Yes

Foltzie

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Given that many SMB2 mechanics were included in the GBA version of SMB3 I'm surprised that at least the ability to pick and throw items wasn't included.

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
Just like the Wii U game - this looks so fucking cool, because it's not only creative, but super fun at the same time. The amount of additional stuff they've thrown in here is hugely impressive.

Oct 28, 2017

You sound like me before I played Mario Maker. Yoy think you don't want to create levels. You will anyway when you see how intuitive and simple it is. I'm never the creative one, but Mario Maker was the exception. Making levels is just so fun.

2shd

Oct 25, 2017

I had the same question, but how is the game structured from a single player perspective? You pretty much just download a level and play it? Is there any sort of framework around it, if that makes sense? I don't necessarily need a sense of progression, but just curious how it's handled.

ned_ballad

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Rochester, New York
I had the same question, but how is the game structured from a single player perspective? You pretty much just download a level and play it? Is there any sort of framework around it, if that makes sense? I don't necessarily need a sense of progression, but just curious how it's handled.
In SMM1, there was a mode where you have 100 lives and you are placed on an overworld that cycles through x number of stages until you reached the end. You could skip stages if they seemed really dumb or impossible. You could choose your difficulty. Beating the map unlocked a costume for the costume mushroom in the SMB style.

Hindl

Oct 25, 2017
You can either search for specific levels, see what's the hottest trending levels, or follow certain creators if you want to just play one offs. Or, you can go into a mode where you get 100 lives and it just automatically serves up levels to you. You can skip any of the levels you don't like without losing a life too

Gotdatmoney

Oct 28, 2017
If it's anything like Mario Maker 1, it will lack* good levels, which New Super Mario Bros Delux at least has some.

* Good levels that you actually play, they might exist but good luck finding them.

After they added the website that was not a problem. And the community on the old site and at reddir had mad good levels. Probably just the people I recognize from the old thread who posted in this topic have more than a few games worth of good levels.